• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redesigning a rotary buffer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redesigning a rotary buffer...

I know this will probably never happen, but I kind of like the idea

What I'd like to see is a rotary buffer with a dual speed selection. Dual trigger positions.

Set speed selection #1 to 900rpm's
    Set speed selection #2 to 1500rpm's

Selection #1 would set the speed for the first trigger position, and selection #2 would set the speed for the second trigger position.

Then, when you buff, you can pull the trigger to the first trigger position to spread your product at 900rpm's, then pull the trigger to the second position for the buffing at 1500rpm's. Then release the trigger back to the first trigger position to finesse at 900rpm's.

Makita, are you listening???????
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: Redesigning a rotary buffer...

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
    I know this will probably never happen, but I kind of like the idea

What I'd like to see is a rotary buffer with a dual speed selection. Dual trigger positions.

Set speed selection #1 to 900rpm's
    Set speed selection #2 to 1500rpm's

Selection #1 would set the speed for the first trigger position, and selection #2 would set the speed for the second trigger position.

Then, when you buff, you can pull the trigger to the first trigger position to spread your product at 900rpm's, then pull the trigger to the second position for the buffing at 1500rpm's. Then release the trigger back to the first trigger position to finesse at 900rpm's.

Makita, are you listening???????
    How about a switch on the top of the handle, with 2-3 setting that you can program to what ever RPM's you want? It would be possitioned so that it can be switched easily while buffing.

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
      How about a switch on the top of the handle, with 2-3 setting that you can program to what ever RPM's you want? It would be possitioned so that it can be switched easily while buffing.

Rasky
      Thats what I was trying to say. Guess I didn't explain it very well. 2 speed adjustment wheels and 2 trigger positions.

Comment

Hey Nick

Wouldn't it be cool...

If they could make a buffer that has an endlessly variable finger trigger...
        and a speed dial to set the highest speed the machine could achieve?

Oh yeah, they already do that.
        Kevin Brown
        NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
          Hey Nick

Wouldn't it be cool...

If they could make a buffer that has an endlessly variable finger trigger...
          and a speed dial to set the highest speed the machine could achieve?

Oh yeah, they already do that.

You're either with us or against us Kevin, and it doesn't sounds like you want to be our friend

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
            Thats what I was trying to say. Guess I didn't explain it very well. 2 speed adjustment wheels and 2 trigger positions.
            LOL...it's all good.

I think it would be a nice feature. I can reach the speed dial on my Dewalt while buffing, but I have to stop and look to see if it's the RPM I want.

I think it's a great idea and you should email them!

I've been eyeing up a new Makita anyway.

Rasky
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
              LOL...it's all good.

I think it would be a nice feature. I can reach the speed dial on my Dewalt while buffing, but I have to stop and look to see if it's the RPM I want.

I think it's a great idea and you should email them!

I've been eyeing up a new Makita anyway.

Rasky
              The Makita is a great machine. Once you get used to the knob and the sound of the machine you dont even need to look when changing speeds.
              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                The Makita is a great machine. Once you get used to the knob and the sound of the machine you dont even need to look when changing speeds.
                I use this machine everyday, and it still takes me some time to set the dial correctly when I'm switching speeds back and forth.

Comment

My Dewalt is loud...I need a quieter rotary for the safty of my hearing...

Think she'll buy it?
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Sounds Like A Good Idea!!
                    Joel
                    Firefighter/EMT-B
                    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                    '99 F-150

Comment

I see the point of wanting the two speed trigger but I don’t really think it would work very well. Besides needing a third position, off, needing two speed dials is getting complicated.

I think it would be better to have a thumb operated rocker switch that operates sort of like a motorcycle gearshift. Tap it up and you increase max speed in set increments, say 200 rpm. Tap it down to decrease max speed and the trigger always gives you continuous control from zero to whatever you set as max.

It would have a readout of your max speed setting, either a numerical display or a bar graph (maybe both), as well as actual speed.

I’m with Rasky on the noise problem. All current buffers are way too loud. It should definitely have an ultra-quiet brushless servomotor.

pc.

Comment

That idea I like. Get it with a shifter. Good idea.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

+1 on a quieter motor for rotaries. I think i'm a little bit deaf on the right side

Not to side track but I saw one rotary with an LCD display showing the rpm. Cant remember which model though
                          Learning new things everyday

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');