• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any pilots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pilots?

Basically what the title says, just curious as to see if there is anyone on here who flys? I really have a passion for planes and have tried to look into flying, right now the most logical option for me is AFROTC at my school and fighting for a pilots slot. But I digress from the main topic so how many people here fly? Either for a living, fun, or getting their license?

Re: Any pilots?

Not a pilot and not in the airforce but I can tell you that it will take about 7 years for you to get into the seat of a fighter jet! Coasting tens to hundreds of millions of dollars they make sure you know what you are doing before they even think about putting in the hot seat.
    For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

I don't fly, but I have a son in the Marine Corps who is in flight school at the Naval Air Base in Meridian, Mississippi. He is training for jets. If you want to fly jets, your best bet, so I am told, is the Navy, which evidently has more jet pilots than the Air Force. Of course, the Marines are always looking for a few good men.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
        Basically what the title says, just curious as to see if there is anyone on here who flys? I really have a passion for planes and have tried to look into flying, right now the most logical option for me is AFROTC at my school and fighting for a pilots slot. But I digress from the main topic so how many people here fly? Either for a living, fun, or getting their license?
        Airline Transport Rating, numerous Flight & Ground Instructor tickets and a stack of full logbooks, 'reformed' pro pilot with 21+ years as an ATC.

TL

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
          I don't fly, but I have a son in the Marine Corps who is in flight school at the Naval Air Base in Meridian, Mississippi. He is training for jets. If you want to fly jets, your best bet, so I am told, is the Navy, which evidently has more jet pilots than the Air Force. Of course, the Marines are always looking for a few good men.
          I worked with a Marine Aviator years ago at my last job. He once shared his take with me on pilots from the different services (with an obvious bias to Marines):

Air Force: Fly by wire. Everything's automated. Pilot could step out for a smoke and his aircraft's computer would have his payload calculations finished for him when he returned.

Navy: 3 wire wonders (referring to the arrestor cables on a carrier's deck). Marines only need one.

Army: Eggbeater jockeys

Marines: Flying Leathernecks. The only aviators in the armed forces who can field strip their fighter and reassemble it under 2 minutes.

Blindfolded!

(we all shared a good laugh with that last line. Devil Dog bravado)

BTW, Marine squadrons are designated as VMAF. Someone told me that the MAF stands for Marines Attack/Fighter. The V stands for fixed wing, a visual representation of a fighter's delta shaped wings. Anyone know if this is true?

Comment

I got my Pilots license back when I was in my mid twenties. Single engine land. I used to fly Cessna's out of Long Beach airport. I had a lot of fun taking friends for rides. It got too expensive for me and I slowly gave it up. I haven't flown for many years now.

Mike
            Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

I have my dispatch license. Basically I have the equivalent of a 737 pilot........on the ground No flight hours, but all the school work done
              2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
              2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

You did all the work and havent flown

anyone wanna take me up for a flight?

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post

BTW, Marine squadrons are designated as VMAF. Someone told me that the MAF stands for Marines Attack/Fighter. The V stands for fixed wing, a visual representation of a fighter's delta shaped wings. Anyone know if this is true?
                  You are correct. The "V" stands for fixed wing. For example: VMAF-251 stands for Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 251.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

I was in Civil Air Patrol as a kid. Took ground school. Been in and around planes and love'em.

One day I will get the license.
                    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                      I was in Civil Air Patrol as a kid. Took ground school. Been in and around planes and love'em.

One day I will get the license.
                      You are going to walk up to the plane, and say this thing is too dirty to fly, then spend all your time polishing it.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                        You did all the work and havent flown

Pretty much sums it up. Although I have absolutely no desire to fly a plane. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust myself in something I can't just pull over to the side of the road with

Although, I can ride in the cockpit during flight on a comercial aircraft

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                          Pretty much sums it up. Although I have absolutely no desire to fly a plane. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust myself in something I can't just pull over to the side of the road with

I dont know if I would trust you either but thats cool you could be in the cockpit!

didnt realize there were so many people that fly on here! So whos taking me up?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post

I once heard that travel by plane is 1000 times safer than travel by car.

But of course if your engine quits while you're driving, you know you're not going to fall 40,000 feet!

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                              I once heard that travel by plane is 1000 times safer than travel by car.

But of course if your engine quits while you're driving, you know you're not going to fall 40,000 feet!
                              Apparently you've never seen me drive

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');