• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when do you shift in manual/sport-auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do you shift in manual/sport-auto?

Question 1:
    I've never driven a manual car before, but my automatic car has a sports-manual option. Pretty much what it is, for those who don't know, is an equivalent of Audi's Tiptronic. It's manual without the clutch pedal (or whatever it's called). What I don't know is at what RPM should I shift? Should I wait until it's in the red zone, or should I shift around 4-5 thousand?

Question 2:
    Does having the AC on actually decrease gas mileage?

Re: when do you shift in manual/sport-auto?

1. Personally, I would never let that needle come close to the red zone.

2. Yes. Slightly.

Comment

Hi,the air con. decreases fuel economy.It's belt driven.

You don't want to be changing at red line.This is not economical either.Also big V8's are better kept low to medium revs for normal driving.

I drive both manual and automatics.

If you're driving on straight highways,its best left in 'D'.I only use the sport setting(flappy paddles)for going up hills.This is where it is very handy,because in 'D',it's always trying to keep the revs low(to save fuel),and the engine is labouring in a higher gear.So I always drop it a gear and try and keep my revs at about 2500rpm(1.3L) engine.

I really only use 'S' for overtaking and hills.
      Last edited by Eddie6th; Jun 15, 2009, 02:35 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Shift by feel.
        Alex C.

Comment

It all depends

If you want more power, you're going to shift later
          but if not, you shift earlier

Average would be around 3,000

Comment

Read your owners manual
            It has all the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
              Read your owners manual
              It has all the answers.

And that's not all.........!

Comment

My sister's VW has this as well. The few times I have driven it and switched to this mode, I end up putting it back to drive or "sport" mode a couple of minutes later. Not my cup of tea. Got to be full manual for me.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                  My sister's VW has this as well. The few times I have driven it and switched to this mode, I end up putting it back to drive or "sport" mode a couple of minutes later. Not my cup of tea. Got to be full manual for me.

Me neither,but sometimes I like lazy mode

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    Yeaup, the tiptronic is just a dumbed down version of manual. Manual seems really fun to me, but I can never imagine me having to use my right hand for anything other than steering, changing songs on my iPod, and changing the thermostat

Comment

well, if you're going for fuel economy, shift when you start hearing the engine whine up, 2500rpm or so. If you want to see what she's got, shift just about 250rpm before redline. I absolutely love driving a manual, and to me I prefer it. I honestly believe it makes you a better driver, because you're not going to try to do about 10 different things while driving, because you cant. I just can't really imagine using a tiptronic system, I prefer the clutch pedal.
                      2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

The trouble with trip tronic flappy paddles is they are too slow,unlike in motorsport.

Better with manual...more feeling

Comment

Originally posted by agp423 View Post
                          Yeaup, the tiptronic is just a dumbed down version of manual. Manual seems really fun to me, but I can never imagine me having to use my right hand for anything other than steering, changing songs on my iPod, and changing the thermostat
                          I always end up holding the auto shifter with my right hand, lol. Just a habit I suppose.

Comment

Depends on your car.

The engine in my car (same one used in the Lotus Elise) is designed to run at extremely high RPMs for a long period of time. So hitting redline is nothing except gas consuming for me.

When I drive economically I shift as low as 2,000 RPMs but I use an extremely light right foot and accelerate slowly. I get GREAT miles though.

If you're going to drive for economy though use the automatic mode. Manual modes in automatic cars is really only used for spirited driving...

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');