• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taping Off Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zey
    When I face M83 product splatter, somehow those splatters will damage the clearcoat by creating tiny bumps. May I know why does this happen?
    Nice tape-off job! That looks like normal masking tape it it is, best of luck getting it off, don't leave it on any longer than you have to.

As far as why the splatter bumps are hard to remove I do not know, I have had the same problem. What I do is do my best to wipe them off carefully with a microfiber. I will be forwarding this link to Jason Rose to see if he's ever experienced this issue too.

Good luck on your buff job!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Haha! Mike, this detailing job is done by others and the car is left overnight with the masking tape on it. From their experience, they didn't have much problem removing it after leaving it for nights.

By the way, after I manage to remove the splatter product on the paintwork (which is quite easy with the aid of M34), I can see the clearcoat is being raised abit (hence tiny bumps). Imagine hundreds of it over the panel will distort the reflection quite alot. I need to go over these areas with M83/rotary again to flatten out the paint again.
      zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

I've never seen this before but I did just forward this page to Jason.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by zey
          By the way, after I manage to remove the splatter product on the paintwork (which is quite easy with the aid of M34), I can see the clearcoat is being raised abit (hence tiny bumps). Imagine hundreds of it over the panel will distort the reflection quite alot. I need to go over these areas with M83/rotary again to flatten out the paint again.
          zey,

If this continues to be an issue, please start your own thread in the Customer Care Hotline forum...

Your direct connection to Meguiar's Solutions Hub. Response within 24 hours or less business days.

Thanks!
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

If it is at all possible can you please photograph these tiny bumps? What is sounds like to me is your describing is "Orange Peel ".

I have noticed as we get better at restoring the finish of a veh. the more paint imperfection stick out like a sore thumb.

Ohh by the way AWESOME tape job.

Be very careful pealing that tape off the car that kinda' of tape has the tendance of pulling paint with it. Peel the tape back upon it self slowly and not 90° to the surface of the veh.

Good luck with you Detail.
            Rich
            If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
            DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Beercan31, it's very hard to capture the bumps which I mention as it's at very microscopic level. Perhaps I will let some professional photographer to capture it one day.

By the way, the masking tape was peeled off easily. This is the end result. More stories in another thread.

Comment

Afternoon all,

So using a DA you can do it without taping as long as you stay well clear (1 to 2inches) of any trim yes?

Bryan

Comment

Good afternoon Blr123, if you're careful enough, you don't need to mask up the trim when applying M80 and waxes. But just be abit more careful near the trims.

Comment

Thanks Zey,

I'm still sitting here waiting for the postman to bring my new DA, when it arrives I'll try both.

Are there any products that you MUST tape of when using?

Thanks
                    Bryan

Comment

Welcome, when using rotary buffer with #85 or #83, it's better to tape since you might get splatter and lots of polishing dust. I guess masking tape is much cheaper compared to your time to do trim cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercan31
                        Be very careful pealing that tape off the car that kinda' of tape has the tendance of pulling paint with it. Peel the tape back upon it self slowly and not 90° to the surface of the veh.
                        Good idea.

All the more reason to use painters tape too.
                        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Blr123
                          I'm still sitting here waiting for the postman to bring my new DA, when it arrives I'll try both.

Are there any products that you MUST tape of when using?
                          Bryan
                          Bryan, you are going to enjoy using your DA! I'll even cross my fingers that your package does not get stopped at customs.

Comment

Hello BlkBear,

I'm sure I will, and thanks I'm keeping mine crossed aswell

Will keep you posted.

Thanks
                            Bryan

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');