• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump

Hi All,

Any of you guys know of a good way to break loose water pump bolts?

We just did make it home in time before we lost too much coolant.
    r. b.

Very, very, carefully. If you have had some leakage they will be extremely difficult and are prone to snapping off. I would try a good penetrating oil and a couple taps with a ball ping hammer. Use a 6 point socket to insure that you don't round your bolt heads and get optimal torque.

Comment

Liquid Wrench,a few light taps with a ball peen hammer,and or
      sm. torch. ( to heat bolt heads )
      since that area gets hot+cold constantly.
      "always somethin"

Comment

Thanks guys,

I just remembered that the timing belt has to come off in order to remove the WP.......Not sure if I'm going to tackle this myself, but I'll study the repair manual before making a decision.
        r. b.

Comment

Best penetrating fluid that I have used is PB Blaster. Just to let you know. Soak the bolts a day before, then the next day before you start.
          Rangerpowersports.com
          Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger72
            Best penetrating fluid that I have used is PB Blaster. Just to let you know. Soak the bolts a day before, then the next day before you start.

As Seen on TV! We used PB Blaster all the time and it really works well... we have since been unable to locate it and moved to Penzoil Z4 great product works very well comparable to PB Blaster.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387

As Seen on TV! We used PB Blaster all the time and it really works well... we have since been unable to locate it and moved to Penzoil Z4 great product works very well comparable to PB Blaster.
              Better than WD-40?
              r. b.

Comment

Pb blaster can be found where I live at auto zone. And yes it is way way way better than Wd-40 at loosening stuck fasteners.
                Rangerpowersports.com
                Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger72
                  Pb blaster can be found where I live at auto zone. And yes it is way way way better than Wd-40 at loosening stuck fasteners.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');