PDA

View Full Version : Questions on durability of NXT?

agentf1
May 5th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Whats happening Mike? Not sure if you saw my post on Viperclub so I will repost it here... I would like to thank you again for the opportunity to try NXT on Meguiars dime. I cannot express enough thanks for everything you sent me. I am sure you have seen my post on CF and know that I was dissapointed with the results that I got from NXT. I actually liked the cleaners/mild abrasives it contains but was dissapointed in the longevity and looks I received compared to what I have been using in the past (Zaino) and before that Meguiars #26 . As I stated in my CF post this is pollen season in the NE and realize pollen is very acidic but would have expected to get more than 2 or 3 weeks out of NXT. I realize looks are subjective but on my black vehicles it seemed to give me more of a milky/carnuba like look compared to what I am using now that makes my car look as if it just rolled out of the spray booth. I have tried numerous methods of application, gone over #82, applied with pc and LC finishing pad, used colorX first etc... so I don't think it is possible that I have done anything wrong. I am not saying it is a bad product as it is far from that but it doesn't compare with the looks or durability of what I am using currently IMHO. I will continue to experiment with it and see if once this pollen stops it will last a little longer. What type of Quick Detailers are compatable with it? I have tried Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Z6 and Meguiars (prof line, I think its final finish, tan bottle) over it in small areas with no ill results but wonder what you recommend?
Thanks Again.

P.S. While I was a little dissapointed with NXT I LOVE the new soap sheets and the microfibres. I also recently picked up an 8006 pad and like it better than LC pads as well. I would also love to hear your comments on my longevity problems and on what QD to use.

KTruck
May 5th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Hi:

I actually liked the cleaners/mild abrasives it contains but was dissapointed in the longevity and looks I received compared to what I have been using in the past (Zaino).

I have never really found what I would call an accurate method to determine a waxes longevity.

What “yard stick” are you using for your comparison? Just curious about how you came to your conclusion about NXT.

Regards,

KTruck

agentf1
May 5th, 2004, 07:29 AM
One of the ways I measure it is by the beading or ability to dry the car after a wash. With Zaino or freshly applied NXT when I blow dry it with my toro 220 mph leaf blower it comes almost perfectly dry with the exception of a few drops. After a few weeks with NXT it just sheets and the sheeting even seems real thick and is a pain in the butt to get dry, another is looks, it seems to be losing its good looks real quick and also feels very rough where a towel won't slide across the paint easily. I am also seeing things/dirt sticking to the surface more. I know it is not scientific but one of the reasons I keep my cars polished is so they wash up easily and look great all the time.

Gadfly
May 5th, 2004, 09:09 AM
My experience with NXT is just the opposite. I applied NXT to my wife's silver spruce Avalon about a month ago. Today, after 55K service at Toyota, the car was washed by the dealer. On the way home there were some very light showers (rain) and the car beaded quite nicely.

As soon as I finish this post, I'll S&W the car and apply another coat of NXT. I really like the looks of NXT on this car!

May 5th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by agentf1
. I am also seeing things/dirt sticking to the surface more. I. [/B]

do you mean dust and air borne contaminates or stuff you drive though? I seem to get allot more dust with nxt, Next time I'm going to use #26 again and see if it's just my imaganition or if it really does get more dust.

After a few weeks with NXT it just sheets

I could be wrong but I thought nxt was suppose to sheet to help with waterspots. just something I thought I read so don't qoute me on that.

agentf1
May 5th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 2000
do you mean dust and air borne contaminates or stuff you drive though? I seem to get allot more dust with nxt, Next time I'm going to use #26 again and see if it's just my imaganition or if it really does get more dust..

Air borne contaminates or stuff you drive though. My cars are black so they all attract dust especially this time of year with the pollen.

I could be wrong but I thought nxt was suppose to sheet to help with waterspots. just something I thought I read so don't qoute me on that.

It beads at first and after a few washings looks and feels as if it is totally gone. Makes it hard to dry.

May 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM
haven't any of the water problems but I wax my constantly so I wouldn't get a chance to notice that. as for the dust , do you think it's worst?

Mike Phillips
May 5th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Hi Agentf1,

Yes I read your posts on CorvetteForum, and possibly elsewhere. I've been kind of busy the last few days so sorry for the late response.

A couple of notes,

To date, I have never experienced the results your seeing, in fact, just the opposite. So I don't know what to tell you about what you're seeing. Luckily for me, I usually have a lot of other people around to look at the results also, so I know it's not just my eyes.

As far as Zaino goes, I have had quite a few cars come across the Training Garage floor, and every time a Zaino finish comes in, it always leaves looking deeper, darker, glossier, more reflective and more clear, bar none.

If Zaino made paint look better than Tech Wax, I would be knocking on Sal's door, but it doesn't.

Zaino beads water really well, I'll give it that. Everyone attributes this beading ability to protection and durability. I don't think the protection can be proved, if it continues to bead water, one wash after another, then that would prove durability, (as in the ingredient that is causing high surface tension is not washing off), but durability and protection are two different things.

Because of this post, I will retest the Z2 and the Z5 for durability after a couple of washes. I tried this before using the Zaino car wash to wash Z2 with ZFX on a Acura Legend, and the beading ability dramatically fell off after just one wash. After seeing this, I figured either the Zaino car wash was a pretty strong cleaning wash, or the ingredient that causes high surface tension doesn’t bond to the surface very well.

As far as appearance goes, here's an interesting observation one of our chemist made after we tested 7 popular waxes,

Products tested

* Zaino Z2 with ZFX
* Poorboy’s Carnauba EX
* BlackFire
* Pinnacle Souveran Paste
* Klasse SG
* NXT Tech Wax
* 4 Star UPP
* Control Square

On our black paint panel, (clear coat over black base), NXT won hands down over the competitors for turning producing the darkest and the clearest results. I stood on a ladder and took about a dozen photos looking down on the panel and it is so easy to tell which section was the darkest.

Then, after washing 2, 3, 4 times, the appearance of all the waxes fell off. Tech wax fell the furthest because it obtained the highest level of results.

The point is this, all appearance results fell off with repeated washings and no further applications of product. Because Tech Wax took the results to the highest level, it had the most distance on a beauty appearance scale to fall back down. But if you’re looking for the product that will take our finish to it’s maximum potential, and you’re willing to maintain it, then Tech Wax will do that. (By the way, you will have to maintain the results any company’s wax produces in order to maintain the level, or plateau it achieves).

For some products, if they don't dramatically darken the finish, then the results don't have much room to fall off. Does that make sense? (I'll see if I can post the pictures)

I guess it comes down to finding a product you like and using it often. If you like it, then apparently it looks good in your eyes. If you use it often, then your finish will always look great.

It's the using it often portion of the above that will sustain the appearance level of whatever your using at a maximum level.

Tech Wax does start out beading water fairly well, but it also sheets water, even right after application if you spray the water just right.

While I have never seen the milky looking results you describe on your black corvette, I trust that if you say it's happening, then it's happening. I have recently worked on a number of black cars, including Corvettes and to date, I have never experienced your results, so maybe it's an isolated problem?

I have a 1993 Corvette coming to our Corporate office this Monday that I am doing a before and after on for this year's Plastic Fantastic.

Right here and now, I will openly invite any members of Corvette Forum, Meguiar's Online, and Autopia, to come on down to Meguiar’s and watch, or even help me out to detail this car and then see if we see what agentf1 is seeing on his car. We can even play with the Zaino products if anyone wants to also.

I am leaving one half of the hood exactly as it is so everyone at the Plastic Fantastic can see the before and after, side by side results however.

So I'll post this on Corvette Forum, and to Autopia, and I would encourage anyone that is interested to stop on by and check it out.

Also, agentf1, I have a number of Corvette Clinics coming up in the future, if you'll pay for your own air fare, Meguiar's will pay for your hotel and food, so you can come on down and attend the event. I'll make sure we roll out the red carpet. Here's the one you should try to attend,

Members of CorvetteForum Detail Day at Meguiar’s (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/calendar.php?s=&action=getinfo&eventid=25)

Other than that, from the feedback I see all over the Internet, the pictures I keep seeing posted, and the phone calls and e-mails that come into Meguiar's, I'll have to say that the results that people are getting with NXT Tech Wax are overwhelmingly positive and the results you're getting are the exception.

Mike

May 6th, 2004, 04:21 AM
After yesterdays post I went to the garage and Qd the hood, Took #82 buy hand to get some of the wax off. did half with nxt and half with #26. couldn't really see a difference in the garage and it was dark outside so inside lighting I would say they both have the same apperence. NXT has a better feel to it Imo. alittle slicker.
and as I was afraid to admitt, already this morning, both sides of the hood was full of dust. Its my garage and not the wax. I could see no difference in dust repellent from either one, but I can now say for sure that its an outside influence.

agentf1
May 6th, 2004, 07:57 AM
First, I should probably apologize for coming over here on your/Meguiars forum and tooting the Zaino horn the way I did but the fact remains that Zaino is what I was using and is the leading synthetic polish right now that everybody is using as a baseline and comparing Tech wax too.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
Hi Agentf1,

Yes I read your posts on CorvetteForum, and possibly elsewhere. I've been kind of busy the last few days so sorry for the late response.

No problem, I can relate.

A couple of notes,

To date, I have never experienced the results your seeing, in fact, just the opposite. So I don't know what to tell you about what you're seeing. Luckily for me, I usually have a lot of other people around to look at the results also, so I know it's not just my eyes.

As far as Zaino goes, I have had quite a few cars come across the Training Garage floor, and every time a Zaino finish comes in, it always leaves looking deeper, darker, glossier, more reflective and more clear, bar none.

I should probably give a little background here. I was Meguiars biggest fan for years (still am) and used #26 on all my cars with excellent results until I started hearing about Zaino. I eventually broke down and tried it and was literally shocked at how amazing the result were, I have never seen any product that was so much different in looks than anything else I have ever tried and I am super picky/anal about my cars finish. I know, I am tooting that horn again, sorry. My wife and neighbors were also just as amazed as me and even started using Zaino. I know looks are subjective but I have to say on black the difference was amazing.

If Zaino made paint look better than Tech Wax, I would be knocking on Sal's door, but it doesn't.

4057 Hwy 9 N #106 • Howell, NJ 07731 • info@zainobros.com
Customer Service / Phone Orders 888-999-9870 • Tech Support Only 732-833-8800

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Probably a poor attempt at humor.

Zaino beads water really well, I'll give it that. Everyone attributes this beading ability to protection and durability. I don't think the protection can be proved, if it continues to bead water, one wash after another, then that would prove durability, (as in the ingredient that is causing high surface tension is not washing off), but durability and protection are two different things.

If durability and protection are two different things, explain to me the difference between the two and when it stops beading how do I know that I am still being protected? To quote the NXT box, "Our new ESP (Engineered Synthetic Polymers) technology creates a
tougher, polymer bond to your paint so it can provide extreme
protection. And that also means extreme beading action. This is now the
long-lasting car wax we make." If beading does not mean anything, why does Meguiars emphasize it on the NXT box? To me, Meguiars equates water beading to protection!

Because of this post, I will retest the Z2 and the Z5 for durability after a couple of washes. I tried this before using the Zaino car wash to wash Z2 with ZFX on a Acura Legend, and the beading ability dramatically fell off after just one wash. After seeing this, I figured either the Zaino car wash was a pretty strong cleaning wash, or the ingredient that causes high surface tension doesn’t bond to the surface very well.

I find that Zaino continues to bead for months. My vehicles wash up easily and blow dry easily and look as good as the day they were Zaino'd wash after wash.

As far as appearance goes, here's an interesting observation one of our chemist made after we tested 7 popular waxes,

Products tested

* Zaino Z2 with ZFX
* Poorboy’s Carnauba EX
* BlackFire
* Pinnacle Souveran Paste
* Klasse SG
* NXT Tech Wax
* 4 Star UPP
* Control Square

On our black paint panel, (clear coat over black base), NXT won hands down over the competitors for turning producing the darkest and the clearest results. I stood on a ladder and took about a dozen photos looking down on the panel and it is so easy to tell which section was the darkest.

Then, after washing 2, 3, 4 times, the appearance of all the waxes fell off. Tech wax fell the furthest because it obtained the highest level of results.

The point is this, all appearance results fell off with repeated washings and no further applications of product. Because Tech Wax took the results to the highest level, it had the most distance on a beauty appearance scale to fall back down. But if you’re looking for the product that will take our finish to it’s maximum potential, and you’re willing to maintain it, then Tech Wax will do that. (By the way, you will have to maintain the results any company’s wax produces in order to maintain the level, or plateau it achieves).

For some products, if they don't dramatically darken the finish, then the results don't have much room to fall off. Does that make sense? (I'll see if I can post the pictures)

I guess it comes down to finding a product you like and using it often. If you like it, then apparently it looks good in your eyes. If you use it often, then your finish will always look great.

It's the using it often portion of the above that will sustain the appearance level of whatever your using at a maximum level.
Tech Wax does start out beading water fairly well, but it also sheets water, even right after application if you spray the water just right.

Every product I have used does this. That is how I dry my cars after washing, I take the nozzle off the hose a let the water flow over the surface so it sheets and there are less drops on the surface. I can almost get the car perfectly dry doing this before I even touch it with a towel or leaf blower.

While I have never seen the milky looking results you describe on your black corvette, I trust that if you say it's happening, then it's happening. I have recently worked on a number of black cars, including Corvettes and to date, I have never experienced your results, so maybe it's an isolated problem?

I have a 1993 Corvette coming to our Corporate office this Monday that I am doing a before and after on for this year's Plastic Fantastic.

Right here and now, I will openly invite any members of Corvette Forum, Meguiar's Online, and Autopia, to come on down to Meguiar’s and watch, or even help me out to detail this car and then see if we see what agentf1 is seeing on his car. We can even play with the Zaino products if anyone wants to also.

I am leaving one half of the hood exactly as it is so everyone at the Plastic Fantastic can see the before and after, side by side results however.

So I'll post this on Corvette Forum, and to Autopia, and I would encourage anyone that is interested to stop on by and check it out.

Also, agentf1, I have a number of Corvette Clinics coming up in the future, if you'll pay for your own air fare, Meguiar's will pay for your hotel and food, so you can come on down and attend the event. I'll make sure we roll out the red carpet. Here's the one you should try to attend,

Members of CorvetteForum Detail Day at Meguiar’s (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/calendar.php?s=&action=getinfo&eventid=25)

Other than that, from the feedback I see all over the Internet, the pictures I keep seeing posted, and the phone calls and e-mails that come into Meguiar's, I'll have to say that the results that people are getting with NXT Tech Wax are overwhelmingly positive and the results you're getting are the exception.

Mike [/B]

As for your offer to come to California for a Detail Day, that is incredibly generous, I am a big enough fanatic that I would take you up on your offer if it wasn't for my company looking into outsourcing and me being unsure how long I will actually have a job.

In conclusion, if my car does not seem to wash up easily and dirt seems to be starting to stick on the surface and the looks are degrading I feel the product is not doing its job.

agentf1
May 10th, 2004, 05:48 AM
ttt

Mike Phillips
May 10th, 2004, 07:34 AM
ttt

You'll have to help me out with this one?

ttt :confused:

I have know idea what that means...

As far as the rest of your other message goes,

If Zaino works for you on your cars, then that's the best product for you. Like I have been saying for at least 15 years now,

"Find something you like and use it often"

If you like it, then the results your product of choice is creating must look good. If you use it often, then your car's finish should always look great!

The best wax/polish debate is always going to come down to personal preference by each individual user. The best thing anyone can do if they're unsure, is to purchase the product and test it for themselves.

The hardest test to pass is black paint in full sun. To this date, I have not found a product that will create the results that Tech Wax will create with two thin coats, after the proper prep work has been performed in a wide range of appearance results categories. This includes, darkness, gloss, shine, depth, reflectivity, and swirl elimination. I would take Tech Wax up against any other product on the market, and in fact have done just that.

How long will a product last, and how well will a product protect? There are too many variables to make a definitive guarantee and any wax company that does make a definitive guarantee is usually playing off gullible consumers. When it comes to the enthusiasts side of the car hobby, i.e. serious enthusiasts who like to do everything within their limits, to take their car’s finish to its maximum potential, here’s what I have noticed over the years,

No one ever goes up to someone at a car show, and after looking over their car, says to the owner,

"That sure is some mighty fine looking protection you have on your car!"

I just don't ever see that happening. What I do see happening is this,

"Wow! Your paint looks great, like it's wet!, what kind of wax do you use?"

Point being, if the wax or polish, you're using is giving you the above kind of results, then by all means use it. For most serious enthusiasts, when it comes to choosing their car care products, it comes down to the final appearance results, in other words, how well does the product perform? People that are crazy about cars, usually take better care of them than the average person and this means they wash, clean, polish, protect and maintain their car’s finish often. When this is the case, then protection isn’t an issue because they are maintaining their car’s finish often, and usually parking under cover so that the finish is not continually exposed to environmental attack.

~agentf1~ – I do appreciate your passion, and your enthusiasm in your search for the perfect shine, I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts, results, and opinions on Meguiar’s forum, as well as other forums. Everyone is different, and because our paint types, as well as the condition of our car’s paint are also different, not to mention each individual’s skill level and passion for the craft, I don’t think one company’s products are ever going to win over 100% of all the people. It just isn’t going to happen. It’s a nice idea, and worthwhile goal, but realistically, there is always room for another point of view.

So… the best we can do as individuals is to find something that each of us likes, and use it often, or once in a while, whatever works best for you.

Mike

agentf1
May 10th, 2004, 08:00 AM
ttt means "to the top". I was hoping to get an answer to my question. Protection is an issue for me since some of my cars sit outside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If durability and protection are two different things, explain to me the difference between the two and when it stops beading how do I know that I am still being protected? To quote the NXT box, "Our new ESP (Engineered Synthetic Polymers) technology creates a
long-lasting car wax we make." If beading does not mean anything, why does Meguiars emphasize it on the NXT box? To me, Meguiars equates water beading to protection!

majik1
May 10th, 2004, 08:01 AM
nice postings mike.....
it means To The Top...
poster wants to keep the thread active without adding content....
ive got some things id like to run by the forum on NXT that relates to Audio !! but ill save that for another thread...
after seeing the NXT on all the different paint jobs at detail day tho...im impressed
i do get the point tho, after studying many things, mostly on the internet, that a product like Zaino, while providing low surface tension, doesnt necessarily mean its protecting, or can fill in swirls or make a paint appear darker and deeper...ill give it reflective tho...

Aurora40
May 10th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Just my two cents here... I understand what you mean about beading and about crud sticking to the car. I look at crud on the car as a big indicator as to whether I will continue to use a product. I think a product can still be present and have crud stick to it. I found Zaino to be pretty crud-prone when I used it, which is one reason I went back to Blackfire. Blackfire always washed clean the easiest, plus it beads and the beads fly off much better than Zaino.

Beading shows durability in the context of a product that always beads. Some products like Klasse, MPPP, and others bead pretty poorly, so a drop-off in beading doesn't mean much (the paint will still feel slick and smooth). Every product is different, and it can be a challenge to tell if they are still present or still protecting (how could you ever possibly tell if a product is still providing UV protection or other things?)

Anyway, my ultimate point was just to suggest something. I found NXT to peform for about 6 weeks on my wife's car when I first used it. I also had prepped the paint recently prior to use. However, when I applied a second coat to the car, it was going strong beading-wise at 2 months when I decided to apply a different product to play with.

Several people apply NXT two coats at a time, and have good durability results. I had good results after the second application. Maybe you would want to give this a try as well? You already have the product, and it sounds like you like the appearance, so if this is what it takes to get what you want from it, it isn't really a difficult thing. :)

P.S. I might suggest you get some #16 to use as it also beads like crazy, the water moves off the paint, and it resists crud stickage very well. I've found it to bead on for 3 months easy... :bigups

agentf1
May 11th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40
I might suggest you get some #16 to use as it also beads like crazy, the water moves off the paint, and it resists crud stickage very well. I've found it to bead on for 3 months easy... :bigups

I used #16 years ago and did not like it, I thought #26 was alot easier to use and for the small increase in durability I got from 16 the extra work was not worth it. Never tried Blackfire but it seemed to be a passing fad.

P.S. I tried 2 coats of NXT even adding a third a week later but this stuff just does not last long at all for me. :confused:

rjstaaf
May 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I used #16 years ago and did not like it, I thought #26 was alot easier to use and for the small increase in durability I got from 16 the extra work was not worth it. Never tried Blackfire but it seemed to be a passing fad.

P.S. I tried 2 coats of NXT even adding a third a week later but this stuff just does not last long at all for me. :confused:

Actually #16 isn't really any harder than #26 if you apply it following two simple rules. First #16 has to be applied thinly, it is a very hard wax and if you apply too much you are just asking for a workout. Second don't apply it to the entire car and then go back and remove, apply it to one or two panels and then remove and repeat until the car is done.

Gotta be some kind of issue going on that we are all missing because your experience with NXT is definitely not the norm. I managed to get 3 months out of it and that included 2 snows with the normal road sand/salt that goes with, lots of rain and a 2 hour daily commute.

agentf1
May 11th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by rjstaaf

Gotta be some kind of issue going on that we are all missing because your experience with NXT is definitely not the norm. I managed to get 3 months out of it and that included 2 snows with the normal road sand/salt that goes with, lots of rain and a 2 hour daily commute.

As I said it has been a while since I tried 16 so I don't remember the specifics but do remember thinking how much easier 26 was. Easy on, easy off and no streaking. As far as getting 3 months out of NXT I find that HARD to believe. What did you use before NXT and how long did that last? Until I found Zaino I have never seen anything last much more than 6 weeks, maybe I am just pickier about the finish on my vehicles or live in a harsher area but 3 weeks was streching it for me. Probably atleast 1/4 the length of time that I get out of Zaino, maybe even less but I rarely go 3 months even if it doesn't need it. I have seen customers/friends cars that I have detailed that still seem to have some protection even after 6 months. I usually detail my vehicles often but would rather do it because I want to, not NEED to.

Mike Phillips
May 11th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I usually detail my vehicles often but would rather do it because I want to, not NEED to.

How about a picture of your car?

Here's a picture of a Corvette that a member from CorvetteForum brought down to Meguiar's last night for some tips on detailing before this weekends Plastic Fantastic Car show in San Diego

We compounded his finish using some Meguiar's #84 Compound Power Cleaner using a rotary buffer and Meguiar’s W-7006 foam cutting pad and then followed that with some Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze. The finish has thousands of deep scratches that only professional products like Meguiar’s 80's series will safely and effectively remove.

Next we polished using #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish using a PC and then applied one coat of Tech wax.

Here's the owner removing Meguiar’s NXT Generation Tech Wax using the *NEW* Meguiar's microfiber Ultimate Bonnet for a eye-dazzling, deep, dark, wet-looking shine!

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2RickRemovingNXT2.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2RickRemovingNXT1.jpg

Here are the results...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2RicksCorvetteFinished2.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2RicksCorvetteFinished1-med.jpg

The owner use to use Zaino by the way.

Mike

Mike Phillips
May 11th, 2004, 09:01 PM
ttt means "to the top". I was hoping to get an answer to my question.

What type of Quick Detailers are compatible with it? I have tried Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Z6 and Meguiar’s (prof line, I think its final finish, tan bottle) over it in small areas with no ill results but wonder what you recommend?

Thanks Again.

Hi agentf1,

Any Meguiar’s quick detailer will be compatible with NXT Tech Wax. As far as other quick detailers go, we cannot confirm their compatibility with our products because we did not manufacture them. A good quick detailer lubricates the surface well to enable you to remove light dust, finger smudges and contaminants without scratching the surface. A good rule of thumb is to wait until a wax has fully set-up before introducing water to the surface. If you have a preference for another companies quick detailer, then you're on your own.

P.S. While I was a little disappointed with NXT, I LOVE the new soap sheets and the microfibers. I also recently picked up an 8006 pad and like it better than LC pads as well. I would also love to hear your comments on my longevity problems and on what QD to use.

I answered the QD question above, as for the longevity question?

Tech Wax is currently Meguiar’s best protecting, longest lasting wax. How long a coating of wax lasts depends on many things:
* How well the surface was prepared to accept the wax
* Local environment (normal conditions and extraordinary events)
* Condition of paint
* Number of hours exposed to outside conditions
* Quality of the wax used and method of application
* Quality of car wash used (dish soaps will remove wax)

A quick way to tell if there is still wax on the surface is to perform this simple test. After washing and drying your car, take a clean towel and twist it in a circle on your car’s finish. If wax is present, the towel will not make a squeaky noise. If wax is no longer present and it is time to apply another coat.

As far as the difference between durability and protection goes,

Durability as it relates to a car wax is determined by how long a product remains on the surface.

Protection as it relates to a car wax is hard to measure. Currently there are no ASTM standards for testing and measuring the protective ability of a car wax. Meguiar’s understands that because there are so many variables surrounding the application of a layer of wax, and the environment unto which the car will be subjected, there is no way to guarantee how long a wax will last or how will it will protect.

Mike

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 06:13 AM
As I said it has been a while since I tried 16 so I don't remember the specifics but do remember thinking how much easier 26 was. Easy on, easy off and no streaking.

Typically #16 is only difficult if you put too much on. As with most products if you are getting streaking again, you put too much on.

As far as getting 3 months out of NXT I find that HARD to believe. What did you use before NXT and how long did that last? Until I found Zaino I have never seen anything last much more than 6 weeks, maybe I am just pickier about the finish on my vehicles or live in a harsher area but 3 weeks was streching it for me. Probably atleast 1/4 the length of time that I get out of Zaino, maybe even less but I rarely go 3 months even if it doesn't need it. I have seen customers/friends cars that I have detailed that still seem to have some protection even after 6 months. I usually detail my vehicles often but would rather do it because I want to, not NEED to.

Hmmm I thought you were here with the intent to learn about NXT? Maybe I am wrong but, from your statements it seems like you already have your mind made up and are just here to troll.

You might try doing a search and reading about other's experiences with NXT and you will find that you are in the small minority.

I seriously doubt that there are many people out there more picky about their vehicles than I. I spend about as much time cleaning and polishing the undercarriage of my car as I do the topside. I also usually wax at least once a month whether it needs it or not and it usually doesn't. When I try a new product I like to test it for durability and protection which is why I let NXT go for so long. Yes it did last for 3 months through 2 snow storms with the acommpanying sand and salt on the roads as well as rain and a 2 hour daily commute.

NXT Tech Wax
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760rearquarternxt.jpg

Before NXT my combo of choice was #7 topped with #26. This combo easily lasts in the 2 month range for me.

#7 topped with #26
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760front726.jpg

I will agree that Zaino is very durable. I would be curious though to know how you figure there is protection after 6 months with Zaino. I have Zaino and have used it for some time (including the new formulas) and that to me is stretching it. If you are using beading as an indicator, keep in mind that most car wash products including Zaino car wash have chemicals in them that promote beading so how do you know it is Zaino and not the beading additives in the car wash?

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 07:03 AM
First, here are a few pics of my cars. I hope they are not too big etc...
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/agentf1//vetatshow2.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/agentf1//vet101.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/agentf1//vet94.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/agentf1//vet102.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/agentf1//vet96.jpg
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/uploads/444/zlsideh.JPG
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/uploads/444/vettebenz.JPG

Hmmm I thought you were here with the intent to learn about NXT? Maybe I am wrong but, from your statements it seems like you already have your mind made up and are just here to troll.

You are correct about my original intent. I did apologize for tooting the zaino horn on Meguiars forum but cannot deny that is what I am using and need to mention it to do a valid comparison/evaluation. Unfortunitely my mind does seem to be made up but I have to say after hearing all the hype I really really wanted NXT to be better but it proved not to be in my opinion.

You might try doing a search and reading about other's experiences with NXT and you will find that you are in the small minority. I seriously doubt that there are many people out there more picky about their vehicles than I. I spend about as much time cleaning and polishing the undercarriage of my car as I do the topside. I also usually wax at least once a month whether it needs it or not and it usually doesn't. When I try a new product I like to test it for durability and protection which is why I let NXT go for so long. Yes it did last for 3 months through 2 snow storms with the acommpanying sand and salt on the roads as well as rain and a 2 hour daily commute.

This still blows me away, but have to say there ALOT of people in this world that are alot less anal than me, ask my wife... :D
P.S. I too polish the undercarriage of my cars, get a kwiklift, it is great for those type of things. And, I also live in the snowbelt and can guarantee you are not getting 3 months out of NXT. HAS NXT EVEN BEEN OUT THAT LONG TO SAY HOW IT LAST THROUGH THE WINTER???

I will agree that Zaino is very durable. I would be curious though to know how you figure there is protection after 6 months with Zaino. I have Zaino and have used it for some time (including the new formulas) and that to me is stretching it. If you are using beading as an indicator, keep in mind that most car wash products including Zaino car wash have chemicals in them that promote beading so how do you know it is Zaino and not the beading additives in the car wash? [/B]

All I had to do was wash, maybe a quick Z6 and re Zaino and they are as good as new.
In Conclusion, I think everybody knows my feelings on NXT and I don't feel right talking down NXT on Meguiars forum so I will end it here. I will say that Meguiars does have alot of awesome products that they should be proud of, I am just not sure NXT is one of them.

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 07:12 AM
I also live in the snowbelt and can guarentee you are not getting 3 months out of NXT. HAS NXT EVEN BEEN OUT THAT LONG TO SAY HOW IT LAST THROUGH THE WINTER???

Simple, NXT was available to users of Autopia in early January and I bought it then. I applied it to my Mustang January 14, 2004. We got 2 snow storms in February. I don't have any reason to lie here and you don't know me well enough to accuse me of it so BACK OFF :mad:

You still haven't said how you are determining there is still protection left after 6 months. Sure Z6 and more Zaino is gonna make it look beter, that doesn't mean there was anything left after 6 months other than clean paint.

So your position is that because most people are getting good results with NXT they must not be as picky as you?

You win, I give up there is just no arguing with logic like that. :wall:

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Simple, NXT was available to users of Autopia in early January and I bought it then. I applied it to my Mustang January 14, 2004. We got 2 snow storms in February. I don't have any reason to lie here and you don't know me well enough to accuse me of it so BACK OFF :mad:

Sorry, didn't know it was available that early, I just started hearing about it recently. Not calling you a liar.

You still haven't said how you are determining there is still protection left after 6 months. Sure Z6 and more Zaino is gonna make it look beter, that doesn't mean there was anything left after 6 months other than clean paint.

If the car still looks GREAT after 6 months and cleans up and re Zaino's easy without having to restore the finish with any type of cleaners/abrasives I say the product DID ITS JOB. If I see stuff is sticking to the surface and requires additional attention and the looks are degrading within 2 to 3 weeks I think the product FAILED MISERABLY.

So your position is that because most people are getting good results with NXT they must not be as picky as you?

Exactly, I hear people say all the time that their car is perfect (especially when they are selling it) or looks awesome and when I see it, it is the farthest thing from perfect or awesome. I find that most of the general population are like this. Everybody has different standards. I know I said I wanted to end it here but since I still have NXT on most of my car and Zaino on part I will shoot a picture in a week or 2 when I wash the car so you can see what I am seeing/the difference in beading etc... And, I am not the only one saying it does not last, I have seen quite a few other post indicating the same thing on other forums.

As Mike says, if you like a product (like NXT) use it often, because you will need too. :D

Aurora40
May 12th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Just a few comments:

I've also had my bottle of NXT for 4 months or so.

I'm not sure I follow how using Z7, Z6, and then Z2/5 shows that the original stuff was still there... If my car was a garage queen, I could go 6 months after just polishing and prepping my paint and I'd expect to be able to apply any protectant product quite easily. It wouldn't mean the glaze I used 6 months ago must have been real durable....

The general population probably doesn't spend a lot of time on detailing boards

A lot of products have some people who like it and some who don't. I've seen folks who didn't think Zaino really lasted or gave good protection. Does that change your experience with it? So don't expect your impression of NXT to change other peoples' experience with it.

It is too bad that you haven't found NXT to work for you, but at least you gave it a try and now you know how it fairs on your particular vehicles. :)

Mike Phillips
May 12th, 2004, 08:28 AM
All I had to do was wash, maybe a quick Z6 and re Zaino and they are as good as new.

And that's the key...

You reapply Zaino and then say "Looks Great"

Well of course it looks great, you just re-applied the product again. The level of appearance that Zaino achieves wears off just like any wax, you can restore the level it previously achieved by re-applying another coat.

This is true for any wax or paint protectant.

I have noticed this about Zaino users, because they believe in layering, they are constantly re-applying a fresh coat of Zaino. The effect this has is not so much create a thick layer, as it is to restore your car's finish to its previously achieved level of quality, or plateau.

If you perform the same process with Nu-Finish you will get the same results.

Look agentf1, the Wax War is a war you cannot win, I don’t mind you trying, but please try somewhere else. If you want to discuss Meguiar’s products and the procedures to use them, then www.MeguiarsOnline.com is the place to be, if you want to discuss Zaino, then you need to go to the Zaino discussion forum.

Mike

Tim Lingor
May 12th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Hey agentf1,

Nice car with a nice shine. Would I call its finish stellar? No, I would not. From the pictures that you have provided, the finish is quite reflective, but not deep. Let’s see some up-close pictures of the finish. One’s where we can make an honest evaluation of the finish.

I have Zaino, and honestly, dislike the plastic look it provides. Moreover, I am really curious as to how you have determined the durability of either Zaino or NXT. Using the, it still beads water, is a fallacy at best for determining durability.

Moreover, one's credibility is earned not given.

Tim

Mike Phillips
May 12th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Agentf1,

Please consider this invitation to attend a very special event taking place here at Meguiar’s on July 17th.

This will be an all day detailing clinic here at Meguiar's for members of CorvetteForums online discussion forum.

Here is the information.

If you'll get your own air line ticket down here, Meguiar's will pick up the tab for your hotel. I will personally roll out the red carpet.

The purpose will not be to change your mind, but to provide you with an opportunity to meet and greet some of your forum friends from CorvetteForum, as well as put a face to an Avatar!

I promise it will be fun, I promise it will be educational. I'll even have my complete collection of competitor’s products available for testing and comparing, plus there will be a plethora of Corvettes here to detail. You can bring your Zaino products, or use mine, I have them all, new and old.

If you like, I'll have Lynn find you a screaming deal for air line tickets, she is very good at this.

Think about it. We would love to have you hear.

Mike

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
And that's the key...

You reapply Zaino and then say "Looks Great"

Well of course it looks great, you just re-applied the product again. The level of appearance that Zaino achieves wears off just like any wax, you can restore the level it previously achieved by re-applying another coat.

This is true for any wax or paint protectant.

I have noticed this about Zaino users, because they believe in layering, they are constantly re-applying a fresh coat of Zaino. The effect this has is not so much create a thick layer, as it is to restore your car's finish to its previously achieved level of quality, or plateau.

If you perform the same process with Nu-Finish you will get the same results.

Look agentf1, the Wax War is a war you cannot win, I don’t mind you trying, but please try somewhere else. If you want to discuss Meguiar’s products and the procedures to use them, then www.MeguiarsOnline.com is the place to be, if you want to discuss Zaino, then you need to go to the Zaino discussion forum.

Mike

Actually Mike, I said it still looks great after 6 months, more than I could say for my 3 week test of NXT. I am not trying to win the "Wax War" just merely expressing my opinion and replying to others questions/comment. As I said I was not comfortable tooting the Zaino horn on "your" forum but Zaino aside, I was still not happy with NXT and would have probably went back to #26. I am going to leave it at that. If you are happy with NXT I say keep using it. I am guessing it will soon be a dying fad just like Blackfire, WolfGang and all the others that come and go and will not withstand the test of time. :coolgleam

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Actually Mike, I said it still looks great after 6 months, more than I could say for my 3 week test of NXT. I am not trying to win the "Wax War" just merely expressing my opinion and replying to others questions/comment. As I said I was not comfortable tooting the Zaino horn on "your" forum but Zaino aside, I was still not happy with NXT and would have probably went back to #26. I am going to leave it at that. If you are happy with NXT I say keep using it. I am guessing it will soon be a dying fad just like Blackfire, WolfGang and all the others that come and go and will not withstand the test of time. :coolgleam

It is funny, there seem to be two responses from Zaino users who try NXT. They either switch or they bash NXT as some sort of self defense mechanism. If you don't like it then simply don't use it.

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 2hotford
Hey agentf1,

Nice car with a nice shine. Would I call its finish stellar? No, I would not. From the pictures that you have provided, the finish is quite reflective, but not deep. Let’s see some up-close pictures of the finish. One’s where we can make an honest evaluation of the finish.

I have Zaino, and honestly, dislike the plastic look it provides. Moreover, I am really curious as to how you have determined the durability of either Zaino or NXT. Using the, it still beads water, is a fallacy at best for determining durability.

Moreover, one's credibility is earned not given.

Tim

Tim, certianly you know that pictures are subjective. The only reason I posted them was because Mike asked me to. I am sure you also know how hard it is to photograph black and that is why you don't see many black cars in car magazines. Rest assure, in person the finish IS STELLAR, and I have many "Best Paint" and "Best in Show" trophies to show it. If you question my credibility, please feel free to question it on the Northeast Corvette forum where many people know me and my cars.

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Tim, certianly you know that pictures are subjective. The only reason I posted them was because Mike asked me to. I am sure you also know how hard it is to photograph black and that is why you don't see many black cars in car magazines. Rest assure, in person the finish IS STELLAR, and I have many "Best Paint" and "Best in Show" trophies to show it. If you question my credibility, please feel free to question it on the Northeast Corvette forum where many people know me and my cars.

You are not on the Northeast Corvette forum right now and from your posts so far your credibility is 0, zip, nothing. It doesn't even sound like you are at all interesting in building credibility here either.

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 10:04 AM
You are not on the Northeast Corvette forum right now and from your posts so far your credibility is 0, zip, nothing. It doesn't even sound like you are at all interesting in building credibility here either.

Define credibility for me. Do you want me to sell out and say NXT is great just because I am on the Meguiars forum. Can't do that. I can only say what I honestly feel to be the truth. You don't know me so don't question my credibility. As I said, go ask about me on the Northeast Corvette forum, there are plenty of people on there that just know me from cruises/shows etc that can vouch I am credable. I have NO vested interest in any products discussed on these forum nor do I sell any products. I detail my own cars and some of my neighbors have talked me into doing their cars after seeing how my personal cars look. I have also been showing my vette for years and all my testing is done on daily drivers as well as show/weekend vehicles. So unless you can prove otherwise don't dare question my credibility. :mad:

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Define credibility for me. Do you want me to sell out and say NXT is great just because I am on the Meguiars forum. Can't do that. I can only say what I honestly feel to be the truth. You don't know me so don't question my credibility. As I said, go ask about me on the Northeast Corvette forum, there are plenty of people on there that just know me from cruises/shows etc that can vouch I am credable. I have NO vested interest in any products discussed on these forum nor do I sell any products. I detail my own cars and some of my neighbors have talked me into doing their cars after seeing how my personal cars look. I have also been showing my vette for years and all my testing is done on daily drivers as well as show/weekend vehicles. So unless you can prove otherwise don't dare question my credibility. :mad:

Credibility is trust, believability. As Tim already said, credibility is earned. Look back at your posts, not a glowing example of someone we would all like to get to know. I question your reason for even being here. Your posts show that you are not at all interested in learning about NXT or Meguiars products in general. Just another Zaino Zealot looking for an audience is what you sound like so far. If you have no vested interest than why are you going out of your way to bash NXT. Most people would just say to themselves "well you know what I didn't like that very much" and then move on.

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Simple, I question your reason for even being here. Your posts show that you are not at all interested in learning about NXT or Meguiars products in general. Just another Zaino Zealot looking for an audience is what you sound like so far.

Well educate me. Why does NXT stop beading in 2 or 3 weeks for me? Why is crud sticking to the top surface of my cars? Why does it look cloudy in comparison? I may be a Zaino Zealot but I DID give NXT numerous chances on multiple vehicles. As I said I WANTED it to work better, it didn't. So now my credibility is ruined. :confused: Sorry for having an opinion. Who is the zealot here? I never questioned your credibility, I said if it works for you, great, use it. All I did was express my opinion which I am done doing. And don't forget. "Use it often". ;)

rdarwa
May 12th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Mike offered for you to come out to Meguiars...You don't want to have the time of your life and get to play with all the products?

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by rdarwa
Mike offered for you to come out to Meguiars...You don't want to have the time of your life and get to play with all the products?

I would love to but a 6 hour flight is a tad too long. I only wish Mike would come to the east coast, I would be there in a heart beat.

rdarwa
May 12th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I would love to but a 6 hour flight is a tad too long. I only wish Mike would come to the east coast, I would be there in a heart beat.

wahhhhhh.....

:eek: Are you scared that you might actually learn something and have a good time?

I know several guys that made that LONG trip from the East Coast and I know they would do it again in a heart beat.

You don't know what you are missing for a couple of days of your time.

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Well educate me. Why does NXT stop beading in 2 or 3 weeks for me? Why is crud sticking to the top surface of my cars? Why does it look cloudy in comparison? I may be a Zaino Zealot but I DID give NXT numerous chances on multiple vehicles. As I said I WANTED it to work better, it didn't. So now my credibility is ruined. :confused: Sorry for having an opinion. Who is the zealot here? I never questioned your credibility, I said if it works for you, great, use it. All I did was express my opinion which I am done doing. And don't forget. "Use it often". ;)

Tell us more about how you applied it. What kind of prep work did you do before hand?

If you are judging NXT on beading, you know that NXT car wash is designed to sheet, not bead so you may see sheeting for a short time after washing with it.

As to the crud and the cloudiness, sounds like it wasn't allowed to cure long enough before it was wiped off. The general guidline is 15 minutes minimum but, it could take longer if it is humid. I usually do the swipe test to make sure it is ready.

NXT has a different look than Zaino. It was designed to be a polymer with the carnauba look. NXT darkens the paint a bit but, it is definitely NOT cloudy if it has been applied correctly.

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 10:31 AM

It is a 4 hour flight from the East Coast and the airline tickets cost a fraction of what the hotel did. I paid about $250 for the flight. I would take Mike up on his offer if I were you. If not, there are Meguiars reps on the East Coast that offer similar clinics.

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by rdarwa
wahhhhhh.....

:eek: Are you scared that you might actually learn something and have a good time?

I know several guys that made that LONG trip from the East Coast and I know they would do it again in a heart beat.

You don't know what you are missing for a couple of days of your time.

Ya, I'm scared, thats it (sarcasm). I am sure that I would have a GREAT TIME and may even learn a few things. But unfortunately, as I told Mike, my company is looking into outsourcing so I am unsure how long I will actually still have a job and think spending approx $500 for a plane ticket to go to a detail clinic is probably not the wisest thing to do right now otherwise I would be discussing my problems with NXT face to face with Mike right now. Let me know when there is one on the East Coast and I am there.

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Tell us more about how you applied it. What kind of prep work did you do before hand?

If you are judging NXT on beading, you know that NXT car wash is designed to sheet, not bead so you may see sheeting for a short time after washing with it.

As to the crud and the cloudiness, sounds like it wasn't allowed to cure long enough before it was wiped off. The general guidline is 15 minutes minimum but, it could take longer if it is humid. I usually do the swipe test to make sure it is ready.

NXT has a different look than Zaino. It was designed to be a polymer with the carnauba look. NXT darkens the paint a bit but, it is definitely NOT cloudy if it has been applied correctly.

I tried numerous ways of prep, I posted it somewhere, maybe it was on the CF. I tried removing Zaino, I followed up ColorX, I followed #5, I followed #82 DACP. My MB was professionally detailed by the MB dealer a about a month prior to my experimenting with NXT. I figured since the Zaino had already been removed it was the perfect time to try some new products and hearing everything on the forum peaked my interest. I was a skeptic when I first heard about Zaino and could not believe the difference so I fully expected to see the same dramatic result from NXT, NOT. I tried doing the top of my show car fender and compared it to the Zaino hood and it had a milky/cloudy appearance in comparison. I also tried WolfGang at the same time and got similiar results. I even broke out my meddalian and another form of Meguiars wax that the name is excaping me right now and tried panels with them. I even tried it on my silver Lightning. I am going to admit I was becoming sceptical of Zaino after using it so long and that is what prompted me to do this but totally found my scepticism to be unfounded and totally reinforced why I am using Zaino. There really is no right or wrong answer here but I got the answer I was searching for so I am going back to Zaino. Obviously you like NXT so I say keep using it. A friend from the CF expressed interest in NXT (Rex Ruby) so I am going to pass the bottles to him. Maybe he will post his opinion when done. Adios.

rdarwa
May 12th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Go when you can...

Mike Phillips
May 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM
As I said I was not comfortable tooting the Zaino horn on "your" forum but Zaino aside, I was still not happy with NXT and would have probably went back to #26. I am going to leave it at that. If you are happy with NXT I say keep using it.

NXT Tech Wax comes with a money back guarantee, so instead of complaining, why don't you call our Customer Care Hotline and ask for your money back. Better yet, call Tom McDonald at 1-800-854-8073 ext. 117, and I'll call ahead to Tom and ask him to take care of your issues.

I am guessing it will soon be a dying fad just like Blackfire, WolfGang and all the others that come and go and will not withstand the test of time.

Meguiar's has already stood the test of time, NXT Tech Wax is just one product in Meguiar's product line, it too, will stand the test of time even though it will not please everyone, it has overwhelmingly already become a huge success.

I will discuss your posts with others here at Meguiar's and see what kind of response I get as far as your complaints about NXT Tech Wax. I will also begin a test on a black hood with some Zaino and some NXT Tech Wax and see what I find, (again).

I currently don't have any free weekends to conduct a clinic on the east coast in the next 6 months, but perhaps after the first of the year. I think Rod Kraft may be holding one soon however, if he does, I will pass that information on to you so that you can attend if you choose.

Above all else, Meguiar's wants you to be happy, or Meguiar's will refund your money. Since you are not happy, please call Tom and he will go above and beyond the call of duty to insure your satisfaction.

Please feel free to continue to post here on Meguiar's Online also. On that note, I would ask all members of Meguiar’s Online to please refrain from posting anything they might later regret. Please follow the Golden Rule, of treating others like you your self would like to be treated and above all, remember, were only talking about car wax here, not the fate of the world.

So everyone, please lighten up and make agentf1 feel welcome. His opinion and experience are important to me and to Meguiar's.

:wavey :welcome :wavey

Mike Phillips

p.s.

I just spoke with Tom and he is more than happy to talk with you over the phone and go above and beyond the call of duty to insure your satisfaction. Please call him now at 1-800-854-8073 ext. 117

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Will call later today or tomorrow, I am getting ready to head out of the office. Thanks.

May 12th, 2004, 12:28 PM
I've been reading this since it started and finnally I can't take it no more, I have to ask this question..........what does water beading prove? I was using #82 on my work truck which was beat to heaven. no beading, no sheating the water would cling to the vehicle. anyway I got side track and couldn't finish my truck so here it was all done with #82 and no protection. I have to leave it out over night and guess what happened...it rained for three days, and water is still beading. so is it the oil of the polish, the slickness and smoothness of the paint or what? certinnatly wasn't ANYONES wax. so beading can't be a measuring point of protection, right?

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I've been reading this since it started and finnally I can't take it no more, I have to ask this question..........what does water beading prove? I was using #82 on my work truck which was beat to heaven. no beading, no sheating the water would cling to the vehicle. anyway I got side track and couldn't finish my truck so here it was all done with #82 and no protection. I have to leave it out over night and guess what happened...it rained for three days, and water is still beading. so is it the oil of the polish, the slickness and smoothness of the paint or what? certinnatly wasn't ANYONES wax. so beading can't be a measuring point of protection, right?

I asked this on the first page. Here is my quote that I took right off the box.

Beginner, I think you can read about Zaino on any auto forum, it doesn't seem to need its own.

agentf1
May 12th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Beginner2002
Thank you for ur reply, agentf1..I take most of what I read on the internet with a grain of salt unless it's an official site of the company!

Official sites seem to have an agenda. General auto forums are just a bunch of guys discussing what works best for them with no hidden agenda and don't profit from there advice. I put the most stock in my personal results, not what everybody else says.

rjstaaf
May 12th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I tried numerous ways of prep, I posted it somewhere, maybe it was on the CF. I tried removing Zaino, I followed up ColorX, I followed #5, I followed #82 DACP. My MB was professionally detailed by the MB dealer a about a month prior to my experimenting with NXT. I figured since the Zaino had already been removed it was the perfect time to try some new products and hearing everything on the forum peaked my interest. I was a skeptic when I first heard about Zaino and could not believe the difference so I fully expected to see the same dramatic result from NXT, NOT. I tried doing the top of my show car fender and compared it to the Zaino hood and it had a milky/cloudy appearance in comparison. I also tried WolfGang at the same time and got similiar results. I even broke out my meddalian and another form of Meguiars wax that the name is excaping me right now and tried panels with them. I even tried it on my silver Lightning. I am going to admit I was becoming sceptical of Zaino after using it so long and that is what prompted me to do this but totally found my scepticism to be unfounded and totally reinforced why I am using Zaino. There really is no right or wrong answer here but I got the answer I was searching for so I am going back to Zaino. Obviously you like NXT so I say keep using it. A friend from the CF expressed interest in NXT (Rex Ruby) so I am going to pass the bottles to him. Maybe he will post his opinion when done. Adios.

It is kind of hard to tell what might be affecting NXT in your case after all those different applications of different products although none of them should have caused a problem. When I applied NXT to my Mustang in January I actually didn't do any prep at all other than washing and claying the paint. I was trying to test NXT so I didn't want any other products to interfere with the results.

I am assuming you probably have already gone back to Zaino on the car. If by chance you decide to try it again I would start with clean paint with nothing on it and apply NXT, let it cure until it passes the swipe test then wipe it off. Wait about 12-24 hours and then apply another coat. I usually do 2 coats just to ensure complete and even coverage.

Usually when you have problems with a product it is best to go back to the basics and eliminate anything that could be contributing to the problem. That is why I would try it on clean paint without anything beneath it.

Mike Phillips
May 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Official sites seem to have an agenda. General auto forums are just a bunch of guys discussing what works best for them with no hidden agenda and don't profit from there advice. I put the most stock in my personal results, not what everybody else says.

agentf1,

The purpose of Meguiar's Online's forum is to answer questions and to help people get the best results from their time, money and efforts. There is no agenda here.

It's also a place to share you passion for your car with other like minded people.

Mike

Lynn Matthews
May 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM
This thread has been reopened.

Just a warning, we are all here to share knowledge and bashing a manufactures products an/or members will NOT be tolerated.

If you have a problem with a Meguiar’s product this forum is the place to have your fellow members help you out to see if you can improve your results. If you still don't like the product find something you like and use it.

If you don’t want help, then don’t ask. Meguiar's has a money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.

Keep the peace...

Lynn Phillips
Meguiar's Online Admin.

May 13th, 2004, 01:45 PM

sorry, but thats was not ment as a smart a** reply, but a honest question.

Blue Snake
May 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Lynn Phillips
This thread has been reopened.

Just a warning, we are all here to share knowledge and bashing a manufactures products an/or members will NOT be tolerated.

If you have a problem with a Meguiar’s product this forum is the place to have your fellow members help you out to see if you can improve your results. If you still don't like the product find something you like and use it.

If you don’t want help, then don’t ask. Meguiar's has a money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.

Keep the peace...

Lynn Phillips
Meguiar's Online Admin.

LYNN ROCKS:xyxthumbs

Could not have said it better! This is a positive learning enviroment that has made it possible for me and others to learn the tips and tricks of how to make our cars look there best!
I just want to say Thanks to Mike ,Lynn and Meguiars for all there support :bow

Thanks to all those who takes the time to help by posting also!

Lynn Matthews
May 13th, 2004, 05:38 PM
sorry, but thats was not ment as a smart a** reply, but a honest question.

You question was fine, you are not the member I was referring to at all. ;)

Lynn

RamAirV1
May 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Three questions:

Does applying (and removing) wax with the PC and the correct pads and bonnets improve longevity compared to hand application and removal?

NXT Car Wash label calls for 1 oz. per gallon of water. If a higher concentration is used, like 1.3 oz. per gallon, would that affect the longevity of the wax?

When will the new Ultimate Bonnets be available? The old ones work fine but I am anxious to try the new ones.

RamAirV1

May 13th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by RamAirV1
Three questions:

Does applying (and removing) wax with the PC and the correct pads and bonnets improve longevity compared to hand application and removal?

NXT Car Wash label calls for 1 oz. per gallon of water. If a higher concentration is used, like 1.3 oz. per gallon, would that affect the longevity of the wax?

When will the new Ultimate Bonnets be available? The old ones work fine but I am anxious to try the new ones.

RamAirV1

see!
It only took us four pages to get some great questions out of this thread.:D
hope some one knows, I'm curious as well.

Tim Lingor
May 13th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Hey RamAirV1,

Nice to hear from you! :)

As for the questions, I do not know how the PC application would affect NXT's durability. It may provide a more uniform coverage which may or may not help.

The new MF towels are in so I have heard from reading other posts. But I have not heard if the bonnets have arrived or not.

Sorry Bud! I wish I could have helped more! :(

Tim

rusty bumper
May 13th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I'll say this much for NXT.

The gloss has held up pretty good so far, since the 1st of spring.

RamAirV1
May 14th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Hi Tim,

I ordered some NXT Car Wash (can't find it locally) and a spare bottle of Tech Wax from Meguiars last week. The NXT Car Wash is good enough that I will special order it if I have to. It is major help in preventing water spots. And it definitely has anti-static properties from my experience.

I applied MPPP to part of the hood of my car and Tech Wax to the other part. After a few days, the MPPP had less dust than teh Tech Wax. Once I used Final Detail, the difference disappeared. After my next car wash I used no Final Detail and dust attraction was the same for both sides. And the amount of dust was less than usual. After a few days, I applied some Final Detail on a small section of the hood and that section attracted more dust.

An anti-static quick detailer (hint,hint) would be a nice addition to the NXT line.

Anyways, when I placed my NXT order, I asked about the new Ultimate Bonnets and they were not available yet. I didn't think to ask about the new MF towels. I just figured they probably weren't available yet either. I see in another post that they are available now in a 20 pack.

RamAirV1

vwguy
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:03 PM
An anti-static quick detailer (hint,hint) would be a nice addition to the NXT line.

My thoughts exactly!

Brian

Mike Phillips
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Three questions:

I would give the hedge to machine application because it will be a more even and thorough for application. Removal is probably the same but if there is a difference, I don't think it would noticable.

That's a good question, I don't have the answer. But I'll check.

Probably as soon as the old ones are depleted from inventory.

Mike

RamAirV1
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks Mike. The original Ulitmate Bonnets work fine, but if the newer ones are even better I want some. I find that the Ultimate Bonnets cause less swirls than any other method of product removal. And the Ultimate Wipes are very good too.

RamAirV1

Mike Phillips
Jun 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks Mike. The original Ulitmate Bonnets work fine, but if the newer ones are even better I want some. I find that the Ultimate Bonnets cause less swirls than any other method of product removal. And the Ultimate Wipes are very good too.

RamAirV1

PM me your shipping address and I'll send you a couple for review.

Mike