PDA

View Full Version : Rotary buffer hopping

Chex
Dec 14th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I was reading the posts in this forum and read about the rotary buffer "hopping" and probably leaving a buffer swirl.

this has happened to me. fortunately, it hasn't left any buffer swirls, or if it has, i've dealt with them and taken them off :P

can anyone give me a tip in how to prevent my buffer to hop? should i use more product or less pressure? :confused:

thanks for your opinions :)

Tom Weed
Dec 14th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Just my 2 cents here...

From my experience, it happens when the pad loads up more and not cleaning it enough. Also if the pad is not lubricated starting out it will happen. I find it can be a problem more with the maroon cutting pad than with the yellow polishing pad.

Sometimes in tight areas or on awkward angles it happens. The best way I've found is to keep my pads clean and to back off the pressure a little.

Tom

RDVT4ME
Dec 14th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Buffer hop can happen when your pad gets too loaded up. Try cleaning your pad more often. Too much product can cause buffer hop.

zey
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM
If budget allows, I highly recommend the Lake Country pad washer. Good for fast production detailers...:xyxthumbs

probegt
Dec 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM
try this

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4481

KLnyc
Feb 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I get hop even when I 1st start to buff.
I think for me, I need to prime it 1st.
But, yeah if pad are loaded it will hop also.

zey
Feb 9th, 2006, 05:41 AM
It is very important to prime the pad prior to maching polishing. Lightly give the pad 2 shots of FI/QD, use hand to press the liquid into the pad and turn on the rotary buffer at 1500rpm to get rid of excess FI/QD. After that, start buffing with the right amount of product to avoid splattering. This will ensure minimal swirls/holograms.

KLnyc
Feb 9th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Yeah I didnt do that. I normally spritz it into the pad, then slap some polisher on the pad and wing it. What I learned from here, I need to till the pad abit. This way it can also prevent from splatter aswell.