PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Smoke

mis3
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Can Meguaires Car Odor Eliminator get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car? Does it has any smell?

I noticed that it's a spray. Do I just spray it inside the car? Is it safe on leather (Mercedes)?

Mike Phillips
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Meguiar's Odor Eliminator is effective if you can spray the product onto the offending molecules that are the odor. Typically if the odor molecules are on/in fabric such as carpet, headliner, door panels, then you can spray these surfaces.

If the offending odor molecules are in the air, then you can spray the air.

I don't think we recommend spraying our odor eliminating products directly onto leather and I don't know that it would be effective if you did. It's all about getting the odor eliminator to encapsulate or coat over the offending molecules.

The product does work exceedingly well.

Hope this helps...

inthedetails
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I bought a "new to me" truck that was smoked in...a lot.

I have used the odor elimator twice now, and it seems to hold up for 3 weeks on a ,month, then the cigarette odor comes back.

I have yet to give it a thorough interiro detail, so I think that when I do, the odor elim will be part of the process. It did work awesome in my sisters car.

Another tip: Dryer sheets - under the seats

escape
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
If the car has a cabin air filter- change it. The smoke will be trapped in the filter. Also, while you have the filter out, put the car into accessory, turn on the vents, set heat to low, spray Ozium, Lysol or another type bacteria killer into the filter housing-this will circulate the antibacterial spray within the vents. Killing bacteria and some of the cigarette odor. Do the same process with the A/C on to help eliminate odor in the condenser, then replace cabin air filter with a new unit. This should help, but is not an all out cure. You will still have to eliminate the trapped smoke in the carpet, seats and headliner. Odor Eliminator should work for that,

mis3
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
If I spray the Odor Eliminator inside the car, it will go onto the leather. My question is: Is this safe for the leather?

Just thinking out loud. Since I do not drive everyday, how about spraying it onto a paper towel or cloth, then leave it to dry inside the car with closed windows for a few days?

Any suggestions?

CELL
Mar 24th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I know from personal experience that wiping down the plastic surfaces with Murphy's Oil soap, significantly helps eliminate the smell of smoke in the car

Tim Lingor
Mar 24th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mis3
Can Meguaires Car Odor Eliminator get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car? Does it has any smell?

I noticed that it's a spray. Do I just spray it inside the car? Is it safe on leather (Mercedes)?

Cigarette smoke is a problem as it penetrates deep into the fabric material. I would suggest doing a deep cleaning with Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner, and then once dry, apply an even coat of Meg's Odor Eliminator.

If this does not cure it, then you either have to allow the odors to dissipate on their own over time or perhaps contact a detailer that uses an Ozone Generator.

Please keep us posted! :)

Tim

frozenpod
Jun 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm looking to remove the smoke smell.

Does anyone know where I can find a detailer/cleaner that uses an ozone generator.

Rick
Jun 30th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Auto Detailing Solutions has one for a very good price if you can't find a detailer locally who has one. I honestly didn't think I was going to use it that much, but I ended up using it fairly frequently actually.

What I do is first vacuum the interior very thoroughly. Then go and use all purpose cleaner to give it a good deep clean on all fabric surfaces. I will start with the headliner and work my way down. Spray it on and brush it in, then go back and vacuum it again slowly to help pull as much of the cleaner out of the fabric as possible. Here in AZ it dries pretty fast so usually a few hours later I will then put the ozone generator in the vehicle with the windows up, key in the ignition and the vent fan running on low recirculate. I also put a battery charger on the battery so I won't run it down. Let it ozone for a couple of hours depending on how bad it is, then let it air out overnight. This hasn't failed yet, the trick is you have to get to all the fabric surfaces, even under the seats, the headliner, sides and backs of seats etc. It may take a while for the APC scent to go away, but it's vastly better smelling than cigarette smoke for sure! After that you have a smoke free vehicle.

frozenpod
Jun 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I'm in australia by the look of there website they are located in the US.