PDA

View Full Version : DONE with Meguires

ksing44
May 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I used the Meguires Deep Crystal 3-Step process about a month ago. Now it seems like every time I wash the car, there is a white residue and I have to re-wax the car to get rid of it. It isn’t just water spots. I really think it is the Meguires liquid wax that must be partially soluble in water. I never had this problem when I used Mothers paste wax. I also don’t like how the Maguires liquid wax goes on and off of the paint. I don’t know if it is a liquid vs. paste wax issue or if it is a Meguires issue, but I am definitely going back to Mothers paste wax. I use both the regular Mothers carnauba wax and the Mothers cleaner wax. As for the 3-step system, I really don’t think it is any better than Mothers "1-Step" cleaner paste wax. In fact, it might not even be as good as the Mothers 1-step process. I am DONE with Meguires.

Antonio Wright
May 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ksing44
I used the Maguires Deep Crystal 3-Step process about a month ago. Now it seems like every time I wash the car, there is a white residue and I have to re-wax the car to get rid of it. It isn’t just water spots. I really think it is the Maguires liquid wax that must be partially soluble in water. I never had this problem when I used Mothers paste wax. I also don’t like how the Maguires liquid wax goes on and off of the paint. I don’t know if it is a liquid vs. paste wax issue or if it is a Maguires issue, but I am definitely going back to Mothers paste wax. I use both the regular Mothers carnauba wax and the Mothers cleaner wax. As for the 3-step system, I really don’t think it is any better than Mothers "1-Step" cleaner paste wax. In fact, it might not even be as good as the Mothers 1-step process. I am DONE with Maguires.

Before you slam a product learn how to spell MEGUIARS first. It seems this is due to user error and not the products. Oh well have fun with mothers.

RamAirV1
May 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I never heard of ANY car wax causing white residue after a car wash. Deep Crystal Carnauba wax doesn't even dry white after application.

Do you have hard water? Do you rinse with a flow of water rather than a spray? Are you getting the car dried off quickly enough. What are you using for a car wash?

Pictures of the white residue would be helpful. Maybe one of us on the forum has seen that and know what is causing it.

RamAirV1

ksing44
May 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Thank yo for heklping me with my spelling. "Mothers" is easier to spell too! If you think I am stupid, think again. I would be happy to give you a full list of my credentials. It shouldn’t be hard to wash and wax your car. What could it possibly have to do with the user? If you have an idea, please let me know. All I want is nice shiny car. I don’t think the white film has anything to do with the user. I used their car wash, so what is the big deal with the white film. SLAM, SLAM, SLAM.

http://forums.mbnz.org/gallery/pics/W124_56362.jpg

SpoiledMan
May 9th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Why don't you maybe try stepping up to the higher level of polishes/waxes. Give #82 or #83 a try and finish with NXT, #26 or #20. *I* found the consumer goods a little more difficult to work with myself in past years. It turned me away from Meguiars for a LONG time. I came back when I tried the pro line of products and my main products will always be Meguiars along with some Poorboy's and whatever carnauba I would like to try.;)

ksing44
May 9th, 2004, 02:06 PM
I do have hard water and I use lots and lots of it. I don’t think I was all that slow to get the water off. I suppose it could be all about the water, but I think my car dried better before I used the M"e"guires. Next time I get some nasty white residue, maybe I will take a picture. Typically, however, I only take pictures when my car is looking FINE.

http://forums.mbnz.org/gallery/pics/W124_57782.jpg

Tim Lingor
May 9th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Hey ksing44 and Welcome to Meguiar's Online! :welcome

Now, I have never heard anyone having a problems like yours. It would be helpful that if next time you wash the car, you could take a few pictures that show the problem.

Some questions if I may:

What brand of soap are you using to wash the car?

How did you apply and remove the Meguiar's 3 step system?

Are you using any type of QD in between washes?

If you could please answer these questions, that would give us somewhere to start.

Tim

jfelbab
May 9th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry you are having these problems but did you ever think it may be something related to how you are washing the car? What soap are you using? Do you have overly hard water? Lots of minerals in the water? is the residue on the glass too? Describe the residue. Is it like a powder? Is it like unpolished dried wax? Is it like tree sap or pollen? What is the year of your vehicle and where is it parked and driven? Is it garaged?

If you take a minute to search the forums here or at any other site I doubt you will find a single person with a problem of white residue caused by the Meguiar's Deep Crystal system.

Given that thousands of bottles of this stuff are being used and no one is reporting this problem, the odds are pretty good it's not the Meguiar's products.

Do you really believe Mothers makes better and more diverse products?

If you want help in trying to eliminate this problem I'm sure you will find it here.

Jim

DevilDog
May 9th, 2004, 02:28 PM
OK call me dumb or stupid but I quit using a product in the past due to this same thing. I had waxewd the car and made certain I had it all wiped off because I was going to a car show. The paint was gone over 2 or the times during removal. The car won a few awards that day for the paint.

Then 2 days later we had some light rain and after the rain on the hood it looked like wax I had missed when I detailed it. I now for sure it wasnt there before this. So later that week I washed the car and walla more of these patches were showing up. I it kept showing up everytime it got wet and it got annoying trying to wipe it off. So I gave up on that product. Here recently I tried another product from the same manufacturer and had the same results. The stuff looks awesome but for some reason the white reidue when it gets wet.

I am not by any means nocking Megs products as I just ordered some and am hoping here in a few weeks to get some more but what I was trying to do is say what this fellow is experiancing I had to experianced too but in a different brand.

Mike Phillips
May 9th, 2004, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're having some problems with some Meguiar’s products, I can assure you that your experience is the exception, not the norm.

Why don’t you call our Customer Care Hotline at 1-800-347-5700, and explain what’s happening and I’ll guarantee you that they will do everything in their power to make sure you are satisfied including refunding your money.

Mike Phillips

rusty bumper
May 9th, 2004, 10:11 PM
When I hear of problems like this, I wonder if the product being used is bad or contaminated, or maybe it's something in the paint that reacts badly to the chemistry of the product?

Or maybe it's a bonding issue?

ksing44, I would call the 800 number and talk to a rep about this...Maybe they can send you some samples of #26, NXT or Medallion Premium Paint Protector.

I'm not knocking DC #3 wax, but Meguiars has better waxes for your car than what you've been using.

Also, since you have hard water, try using NXT wash...It has something in it to soften the water.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ksing44
May 10th, 2004, 02:53 AM
WOW, this forum is great. It seems that most of you guys are really trying to help.

I WAS using all Meguires products, including the car wash and the quick detail spray.

The white film is not just in spots where drops of water may have been left to dry. The film looks more like liquid that flows over the car with areas that are more or less white depending on the amount of residue. I suppose it could be the soap, the wax, or the quick detail spray. I didn’t use the quick detail spray after my previous washing, so I ruled that out. Considering how generously I apply the water, I didn’t think there would be a soap residue. I figured it had to be the wax being partially dissolved by the soapy water. Then since the wax isn’t truly water soluble, I figured it was left behind when I rinsed the car.

I suppose I could try the Meguires paste wax, but since I wasn’t having problems before, I figured I would just go back to Mothers.

Thank you for the help.

Focusedonsound
May 10th, 2004, 05:57 AM
I know its a little extreme to do .... but when I got serious about the health of the paint on all of my cars . I went to home depot and bought a in line filter system for my hose. Beleive it or not it makes a huge difference when your working with purified water. I will only use Meguiars Gold class soap ... (its the only thing that ive found that works very well) and when i mix my soap & water in my bucket and it works great.

when i wash my car ... its amazing how much better purified water helps clean a car. It also makes it easier to dry the car.

Just a little something you might want to think about .. I don't know if anyone on here has any inline filters but ive found that this does help a little ...!

TwoTooBlack
May 10th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Give NXT wash a try. It's designed to sluff off the water a little quicker when used with NXT wax. I wash and wax two black cars with NXT with fairly (though not extremely) hard water with no problems. Also make sure you remove your nozzle for the final rinse so the water sheets of instead of beading. It leaves less behind.

And yes, the forums are helpful and Meg's has the most dedicated customer service I've ever seen in a company. We all (including those at Meg's) want our cars looking their best! :coolgleam Don't give up based on one bad experience. The line really is really good, you just need to find what works for you.

rjstaaf
May 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM
I know this may be rather obvious but, no one has suggest it yet so I will throw in my 2 cents. Are you following the directions for mixing the car wash? I know a lot of people just fill the bucket, dump a bunch of soap in and go at it. The problem is the soap is designed to work at a certain dillution and if you put too much in it might result in a film that you may just not be rinsing off well enough. That film might possibly be partially dissolving the wax.

Just a thought :)

majik1
May 10th, 2004, 10:50 AM
when we washed helos in the navy, wed 1st rinse w water from the top down, then wash w a strong detergent, real strong....starting from the bottom and working up to avoid a concentrated stream of the detergent from running down the plane and drying up in the sun or itd be hard to remove.....1 guy would keep the scrubbed areas wet as we moved on washing....
when rinsing, same deal, we'd rinse from the bottom up to the top so the soap that would form a concentrated river running down the panels would run over wetted areas as it left the plane rather than running over a dry or drying panel....
failure to do so would lead to what he describes....a white film on the vehicle where it ran down...and it was a PITA to get off....meant re-washing the plane.....
keep it wet, dont let it dry in the sun....try to use a proper auto wash rather than a strong detergent...let it run down a wet panel if ur in the sun...