PDA

View Full Version : cleaning hi tech applicator pads

MTBPATH
Mar 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
how do most people wash and clean the hi tech applicator pads?

the round yellow ones.
I know there are lots of thread on washing MF, WW, duo fiber glass towel, terry towels, and I guess its preference and what works best for you.
is it okay to put the glass duo fiber with white super plush terry towels?
thanks.

gb387
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:04 PM
I toss mine in the washing machine with my 100% Cotton Terry Towels then on to the dryer for a short time and let air dry the rest of the way.

Beercan31
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM
I try not to post product here that are NON Meguiar's but i need to break the rule.

For cleaning Applicator pads, polishing/cutting Pads, Micro fibers i first soak them in a warm solution of DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator then throw them in to the washing machine. as of yet i have not found a product that brakes down Waxes, Polymers or sealants as fast this product.

DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator (http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html)

Pete-FWA
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM
Mine get machine washed along with terry towels, regular detergent, then air dried

No problems with damage or residual polish and wax in them

sneek
Mar 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM
lol i dont wash them i'm way to lazy!
i know a whole saler that sells 5 packs of 4 to me for really cheap

Beercan31: that product looks good i may give it a try for my polishing pads, but i don't know because they have the fixed backing plates

rhema83
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I've been using dishwashing detergent (for handwashing, not machine), usually AJAX, in warm water, with great results. It breaks down product buildup and makes the pads like new again.

_Ed_
Jun 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by rhema83
I've been using dishwashing detergent (for handwashing, not machine), usually AJAX, in warm water, with great results. It breaks down product buildup and makes the pads like new again.

Same here,hand dishwashing liquid with warm water,then I air-dry.

BigLeegr
Jun 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I have a container with a snap-on lid that I put water and dish soap in. I then throw my little pads in there and close the lid. Every so often I give it a good shake. This gives lots of dwell time to emulsify the residue. Then, when I'm running low on pads I rinse out the ones that were soaking. So far my pads have come out clean without much work.

FromThisSoil
Jun 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I had a bunch after I was done and just threw them in the washing machine on normal and warm with some Tide and they came out good as new...

SL1CK
Jun 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I hand washed mine too (MF), but with Tide detergent. It didn't do anything to my skin but leave my with a sticky soapy residue. I'm sorta reluctant to do that again. I then threw it in the dryer on "Fluff Air" and let it dry. I meant to let it air dry some (you know how air drying hardens things up a bit) and then throw it in the dryer to rejuvenate its fluffiness.

YukonG
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I hand wash mine with Dawn also. I find that by applying the soap to 2 pads and them rubbing them together, it really makes cleaning them fast and simple. I then rinse them off, ring them out, and let them air dry on top of a cotton towel.

93civic_sedan
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I hand wash mine with a little of my car wash (NXT), I use a small brush and then rinse well. After that they sit wrapped p in paper towels for about 24 hours. Then into storage.

OPA1
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I'm with you Ukyon. Been washing them like that for some time now.

ED:coolgleam

kboxer
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I use good old dawn. It is a natural degreaser. Also do it by hand. Works great to get waxes off your hands and grease from working on cars. Better than gojo and all that stuff, plus ot doesent dry your hands out real bad.

fuzzydd
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM
handwash with laundry detergent + warm water
i cant seem to get good results by machine

fishbonezken
Aug 12th, 2006, 02:55 AM
after I detail I have about 8-10 pads dried up with mostly colorX and dirt. I then soak it into a small basin of water with Dawn.
Usually I'll leave it till I'm not too lazy to wash it.

Then I rinse with water squeeze some Dawn directly on where there's colorX and rub them in with my thumbs, sometimes I use knuckles and mash them in the sink. I find that this is most effective but uses quite alot of dishsoap,energy and time.

The washing machine doesn't really help, when the pads come out, they are still green with colorX and white with NXT. And they turn soft and orange-ish after coming out of the washing machine.

Meguiar's should really come out with a product to breakdown their own products to make washing easier for us consumers.

rascal
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I clean my yellow applicator pads after a detail using Fantastik APC and a kitchen sink. I spray the pads down with Fantastik on both sides. I then work the APC in the pads really good and do a rinse with some warm to hot water. If needed, I will do the process all over again until they are clean, fluffy and soft like they were new. I let them air dry under a small fan and then put them back in my Meguiar's detail bag (from ADS). ;)

Have not had a problem using this technique and it does clean better than the old washing machine I use to use. :xyxthumbs

pcfred
Aug 31st, 2006, 04:43 PM
Soak 'em in Orange Blast then toss 'em in the washing machine.

Zet
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:55 AM
I also use liquid laundry detergent with warm water, I find that it dissolves residue much better than dishwashing detergent. Pads that have been used for wax, I sometimes rub with concentrated laundry detergent first, that even gets #21 off :)

Pads that aren't too dirty I just throw in the machine, with a load of MF's.

acsuppa
Sep 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I do the same thing that most people here do. I handwash them with dish soap and rinse them real good. I find them very easy to clean and make them look like new. Buffing pads are a different story.

noswirler
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:13 AM
immeditly after use brush them rub em out with clean towel, i want the product to remain sort of like a primer(I dont use more than one product per pad):D that stuff cost$ i use every drop,evry drop!