PDA

View Full Version : Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Mike Phillips
Mar 21st, 2006, 05:49 AM
Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time... (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11721)

Or, why PhotoBucket and all of these other photo hosting websites are a waste of time...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2Oops_Photobucket.jpg

Here's why hosting your photos at all of these other photos hosting websites is a waste of time from a big picture point of view... Check out the Non-Pictures in this thread...

Meguiar's Detailing Class in Piscataway, New Jersey (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2354&perpage=10&pagenumber=2)

All of the pictures hosted here on MOL are still showing up and all of the photos posted on Photobucket are missing, perhaps forever. It completely diminishes the value of the story as told in the thread.

Here's what the photos hosted on Photobucket look like,

Here's a link that will start by explaining why we don't allow members to Attach File, (or attach photo), on this forum and then to a couple of tutorials on how to work with images on this forum, but these skills you teach yourself will work on any forum and last for a lifetime. Plus... you could even show someone else how to work with photos on the Internet.

How to put pictures into your posts (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3188)

How-to Crop your photos before uploading them to your gallery (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=573)

How to resize your photos using Easy Thumbnails - Free software! (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=879)

Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=505)

Mike Phillips
Apr 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Vindicated again...

Screen shot taken from page 2 of this thread,

Grit-Guard floating in the buckets (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11432&perpage=10&pagenumber=2)

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2Vindicated001.jpg

The above post was made on April 1st, and by the time I read the thread on April 18th the photos were missing. I don't know how long they were viewable but after 17 days they were missing.

The point I tried to make in my commentary on using Photobucket to host your photos is that places like MOL are long term communities, that is we're here for the long run and for this reason it's pointless to include a photo in your message if the photo is going to disappear, thus photo hosting sites like Photobucket are a waste of our time and thus our our member's time.

35th Anniversary SS
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
I have used www.FOTKI.com for several years. Yes... I pay annually, but in the several years Ive used them the longest theyve ever been down was no more then an hour or so. Not to mention Ive only found them to be "down" only, Id say, maybe 4-5 times. I think its about $25/yr... unlimited space.. with all kinds of different uploading options.

You can even host small .gifs.

Check em out. :xyxthumbs

CELL
Apr 24th, 2006, 02:55 AM
The reason why those photos aren't available anymore is because I deleted them out of my photobucket.
Had it not been for me deleting them from my bucket, theyd still be viewable.
I just wanted to clarify that, as it seems as though youre pointing out fault in photobucket itself.
Am I wrong?

Mike Phillips
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by CELL
The reason why those photos aren't available anymore is because I deleted them out of my PhotoBucket.

Had it not been for me deleting them from my bucket, they'd still be viewable.

I just wanted to clarify that, as it seems as though you're pointing out fault in PhotoBucket itself.

Am I wrong?

Nope, you make my point perfectly.

Meguiar's is in this for the long run, by this I mean that we're here today and we're going to be here tomorrow. When you put a picture into our gallery for use on our forum, it will be here tomorrow.

When you put a picture on PhotoBucket or some other freebie hosting company, there's no guarantee how long the photo will be there and thus there is no guarantee how long the photo will be visible on our forum.

Write-ups, threads, messages, posts, whatever you want to call them, when the picture disappears, it takes so much away from the story being told. It would be better if the person would have never included the photo in the first place and left it up to the reader to use their imagination based upon the words the poster used versus look at Red X's or images like this,

When you post a picture hosted at PhotoBucket, or any of the other freebie photo hosting sites, and then include that URL Address to that photo on our forum or anywhere on the Internet, and then later down the road delete that photo, then everywhere you placed that URL Address, either a Red X's will show up, or a meaningless image like this,

If I could ban or prevent the ability for a person to insert an URL Address for a photos for anywhere but MOL, I would do it in an instant because we're in this for the long run and we don't want all these threads on our forum full of missing pictures. In the big picture, it devalue the thread and thus devalues the forum, it's an effort in futility.

Thank you CELL for asking your question, you helped me to drive the point home perfectly. :bigups

I stand by my statement,

Photobucket and other freebie photo hosting companies are a waste of --> our <-- time and resources.

CELL
Apr 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Gotcha
I just figured, why waste the bandwidth on MOL, so I just used my own hosting.
Then, I realized the issue I posted about was already touched on, so I just deleted the pics.
Point well taken though
:xyxthumbs
And thank god Meguiars is here to stay.
We need quality products and true professionals
:bow

jchetty
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
yeah i do agree photobucket has it flaws:mad:..its my fault, i was rearranging some photos and that broke the link, but i did fix it so all should be well:db:...i prefer photobucket instead of uploading to a web forum but thats for security purposes, with the easyness of web based searching , you can find out so much about some1 by googling a username, then registering to the website and doing a forum search..uploading to photobucket provides me with a simple way of erasing photos and making harder for individuals with evil intents to find out about me:eek:..i use the same username for mulitple website so using photobucket is strictly for security...sorry if i inconveniced anyone ..i love this forum and plan to post more pics because imo it easier to understand with the aid of visual aids :spot

m3tal
May 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I use Photobucket and Imageshack for the same reasons, also its easier for me to link pictures to people, and post them around on different sites etc. No problems with Imageshack whatsoever; I have over 30 pages of images hosted with them, some dating back almost 2 years.

Mike Phillips
May 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by m3tal
I have over 30 pages of images hosted with them, some dating back almost 2 years.

How much space do they give you?

jchetty
May 23rd, 2006, 01:32 PM
photobucket gives 1gb album size and 10gm monthly bandwith...to the best of my knowledge imageshack is unlimited storage and limits bandwith hourly..i am looking into switching to apple and will am currently looking for one source to host all my images/videos and imageshack is a front runner for photos:bounce

Mike Phillips
May 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by jchetty
photobucket gives 1gb album size and 10gm monthly bandwith...

I'm all for a good deal, but I don't think having the below images show up in place of a picture that helps complete a story on this forum is doing anyone any favors.

Where am I wrong?

jchetty
May 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
i do agree with you..i do see your point and meguiars online is nice enough to allowing photo hosting we should use it:xyxthumbs what is the limit per album:confused: i'll tell you what, there is a meguiars day june 10. If I do go I will host the pics on meguiars online and I will work on rehosting the pics the old pics on meguiars so that other ppl can see the light..i love this website, i check it often:bow

the other pc
Dec 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM
i do agree with you..i do see your point and meguiars online is nice enough to allowing photo hosting we should use it:xyxthumbs what is the limit per album:confused: ...Well, I just got this meassage as the Gallery refused my last pix:

You are allowed a maximum of 5242880 bytes of diskspace. If you would like to upload more images, please delete some of your older images and/or optimize your images using lower quality jpg settings before uploading.

So I guess I’ll have to have my pix hosted elsewhere from now on. :(

PC.

jfelbab
Dec 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Emm. I used to have a nice gallery here at MOL. It went bye-bye. Now all my images that were linked to MOL are not showing up either. Things happen. I now host at .Mac.

Home

jfelbab
Dec 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Emm. I used to have a nice gallery here at MOL. It went bye-bye. Now all my images that were linked to MOL are not showing up either. Things happen. I now host at .Mac.

To correct my previous post.

The images from the old gallery are indeed still showing up in the threads. My gallery is not. Unfortunately, I don't know what images I had uploaded to the gallery and really don't like the task of reloading these back.

Things happen. ;)

gb387
Dec 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
To correct my previous post.

The images from the old gallery are indeed still showing up in the threads. My gallery is not. Unfortunately, I don't know what images I had uploaded to the gallery and really don't like the task of reloading these back.

Things happen. ;)

I agree, kind of a bummer. FWIW, I went back and searched for some of the photos I know are on MOL and book marked the thread so I can still use the photos.... but if you didn't use the photos in a post then they must be lost somewhere on MOL and we can all hope they are having a good time together.
:D

ebpcivicsi
Dec 6th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I have had a photobucket account for a few years now. IMO, it is a great service. I post on a lot of forums and having my photos stored in one location is much better for my needs. I do pay about a $25 a year, but my pics are *always* up and I have plenty of room for videos, pictures, etc.

I don't use the hosting available from online forums because it seems to me that about once or twice a year the galleries "crash" and everyone has to start over. With photobucket, as long as you don't move/delete the photo, it's always there.

BlackElantraGT
Dec 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I think sites like PhotoBucket, ImageShack, etc. are great. For being a free service, they're hardly ever down. I use Photobucket to host all my auctions on eBay, and I only had a problem once for a very short period of time.

Most forums have a limit as to how many pics you can upload, so I've always found it easier to host my images elsewhere. I don't organize my images on these sites so they're never really lost unless I choose to delete it. If I'm the owner of a picture, I believe I can dictate when/if I can delete my own picture.

I don't think that devalues a forum/site/thread. If that was the case, the whole internet would be pointless. New threads are constantly popping up about topics that have been covered before. If all the admins just kept saying "repost" or "search is your friend", then there would never be anything new for active members to talk about.

If something was THAT important where the pic was truly needed, like for a Do It Yourself article posted by a member, admins always have the ability to save those important pics and host it on their own site, in case that user ever decide to delete their photos from their host.

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2006, 05:15 AM
[quote=the other pc;149529]Well, I just got this meassage as the Gallery refused my last pix:

You are allowed a maximum of 5242880 bytes of diskspace. If you would like to upload more images, please delete some of your older images and/or optimize your images using lower quality jpg settings before uploading.

So I guess I

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Home

All the pictures still show up but at this time we don't have access to the gallery. This is because of "KNOWN" security issue with the version of Photo Post that that software has. When it can be made secure it will be accessible again, give us a little more time please and we will find a way to prevent the bad guys from taking our forum down via a weak link.

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Things happen. ;)

Yep, bad guys hack into forums and this is the entire reason we upgraded and lost accessibility to the old gallery. We will make it accessible again, just give us some time.

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2006, 05:23 AM
I have had a PhotoBucket account for a few years now. IMO, it is a great service. I post on a lot of forums and having my photos stored in one location is much better for my needs. I do pay about a $25 a year, but my pics are *always* up and I have plenty of room for videos, pictures, etc.

And you are one of the exceptions that are willing to pay for more space and thus your pictures don't disappear. Kind of makes the point we've been trying to make. :xyxthumbs

I don't use the hosting available from online forums because it seems to me that about once or twice a year the galleries "crash" and everyone has to start over. With PhotoBucket, as long as you don't move/delete the photo, it's always there.

Our gallery has never crashed, our forum was hacked by a weirdo and this forced us to upgrade to a newer version of vBulletin and Photo Post Gallery.

When our web team can allocate the time to find a way to bring up the old gallery and make it secure so that some hacker can't cause harm, then it will be available again.

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2006, 05:31 AM
I think sites like PhotoBucket, ImageShack, etc. are great. For being a free service, they're hardly ever down. I use Photobucket to host all my auctions on eBay, and I only had a problem once for a very short period of time.

It's not about these places being down, it's about people linking photos to them and inserting them into threads on this forum and then later deleting the photos and creating red X's on this forum devaluing the thread.

Let's all try to keep the focus on the issue and not go off-topic.

Most forums have a limit as to how many pics you can upload, so I've always found it easier to host my images elsewhere. I don't organize my images on these sites so they're never really lost unless I choose to delete it. If I'm the owner of a picture, I believe I can dictate when/if I can delete my own picture.

We've always been very generous in this area. If you include a picture in a thread on this forum then delete the picture it kind of takes the fun and information out of the thread. Like the old saying goes,

"A picture tells a thousand words" (Unless the picture is a red x)

I don't think that devalues a forum/site/thread. If that was the case, the whole Internet would be pointless.

This is your opinion and it has value, we like pictures posted in threads on this forum to endure, this is our opinion.

New threads are constantly popping up about topics that have been covered before. If all the admins just kept saying "repost" or "search is your friend", then there would never be anything new for active members to talk about.

One thing the Meguiar's Online forum is known for unlike so many other forums is we don't tell people that join and ask questions to simply search, instead we type up fresh new answers.

If something was THAT important where the pic was truly needed, like for a Do It Yourself article posted by a member, admins always have the ability to save those important pics and host it on their own site, in case that user ever decide to delete their photos from their host.

That is a solution, now where can we find some time for sale? :D

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Well, I just got this meassage as the Gallery refused my last pix:

So I guess I’ll have to have my pix hosted elsewhere from now on. :(

PC.

Try now Paul! :xyxthumbs

jfelbab
Dec 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Mike,

I know how hard you guys work here and this forum is, IMHO, the best. Please don't take my previous comments about the gallery as a complaint or even a hint that I am not delighted with the forum.

You guys never get the credit due you. There is no other forum where the posts are nearly always upbeat and constructive. This forum has made significant technological advances with the last upgrade. Keep up the fine work.

I think we all appreciate it. I know I certainly do.

---

Back on Topic.

I can understand your desire for the pics linked in this forum to be hosted here. I have read threads where the picture is vital to the thread, then all of a sudden it is gone. The thread remains but the key element is missing.

My issue with the current gallery state is that I can't easily post one of my images from the old gallery in a new post, either here or elsewhere. For all practical purposes those images are lost to me for future use.

I can see why it is desirable to host pics elsewhere after the recent gallery issue as well as the difficulty of maintaining galleries at multiple sites. That's why I decided to host all my images elsewhere. The site I chose is not a free site, has huge bandwidth and has multiple redundancy of my images and web pages. Since I also host my web pages there, it is a one-stop site for me to deal with all my needs. It's more convenient.

Mike, you and Dave do a great job with this forum and I for one am delighted to be a member here. If you read anything that might give you a different opinion just shake your head and move on because it just isn't so.

Jim

gorin002
Dec 7th, 2006, 08:04 AM
i use http://www.picturetrail.com/

the other pc
Dec 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Try now Paul! :xyxthumbs:db: Thanks Mike!

PC.

mrClen
Dec 10th, 2006, 07:01 PM
hope you could update it soon bud. damn those hackers. any idea how they able to get in?

Skuz
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I've had to use Photobucket for some time now, since the Meguiar's gallery won't let me login and therefore it's impossible for me to upload pictures.

Mike Phillips
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I've had to use Photobucket for some time now, since the Meguiar's gallery won't let me login and therefore it's impossible for me to upload pictures.

It works for 99.9% of our members and when it doesn't work for someone it's usually a problem on their end, not ours. Again the point of all this is to avoid threads without pictures into the future because the poster delted the pictures at their second party hosting site. Kind of ruins the thread when all the pictures have turned into red x's.

Skuz
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
True, it doesn't work with Firefox 2.0.0.1 but works on IE7. Annoying.

Mike Phillips
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM
True, it doesn't work with Firefox 2.0.0.1 but works on IE7. Annoying.

Vindicated.

Just to note, we like and use FireFox when ever we can and we prefer FireFox over IE, but because of some Ghosts in the Machine, sometimes we're forced to use Internet Explorer to get the job done.

gorin002
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM
try opera i use opera as wel
nice thing is when you have to close down it reminds where you ben
sometimes ie is with certian things better

Mike Phillips
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Vindicated again... (not a good thing)

PlastX before & after shots (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14961)

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/Redxsagain.jpg

The pictures are no longer on the Photobucket website, or their location has changed and thus the red x's now show up.

Kind of takes away the power of Before & After when the pictures are no longer viewable. Thus the premise of this post, that we i.e. Meguiar's are in this for the long run, not a day or two, so we want photos to show up years down the road, not red x's.

Whelan
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I use www.picturetrail.com

I have been a member with them for years and years. I paid $20 a year and I get unlimited storage and can link my pics anywhere. I can even use the thumbnails to provide Avatars.

Forget Photbucket and those other places. I have never had an issue with picturetrail.

gorin002
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I use www.picturetrail.com (http://www.picturetrail.com)

I have been a member with them for years and years. I paid $20 a year and I get unlimited storage and can link my pics anywhere. I can even use the thumbnails to provide Avatars.

Forget Photbucket and those other places. I have never had an issue with picturetrail.

i agree over this very easy to use

gb387
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Vindicated again... (not a good thing)

PlastX before & after shots (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14961)

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/Redxsagain.jpg

The pictures are no longer on the Photobucket website, or their location has changed and thus the red x's now show up.

Kind of takes away the power of Before & After when the pictures are no longer viewable. Thus the premise of this post, that we i.e. Meguiar's are in this for the long run, not a day or two, so we want photos to show up years down the road, not red x's.

Can you limit post photos only to those in Meguiars gallery?

I too hate the Red X's, happens in many forums but you search find what you want and the answer but the photos are gone and you miss half the post.

gb387
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:52 AM
On another Forum I visit I found this recent post:
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Photobucket.JPG

There are 45 of those little icons and not a single photo!

coopstah
Sep 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I wish i could verbalize how I really feel about photobucket - what a joke!

Richard1
Nov 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I don't like imageshack. Outside the US, or whatever their logic is, many of the images show up just as frogs that say something about the registry that the person who posted has to do.

Some forums are filled with those, others not so much.

So I upload to my server. Just have to remember not to delete anything, and on some software, I have to remember that if I add a picture on the page that isn't at the end, the software will rename when publishing, so that picture 5 that I might have posted somewhere now becomes 6.
(I should add that my Corvair site has more than 900 pictures I reference to, and the other cars will probably also hit that before I finish)

So I've taken to uploading them with their real names and then writing the site with references to the warehoused images.

So pics like this will always be referenced by their real name: "Corvair_front_10-2012"

http://www.widman.biz/images/Corvair_front_10-2012.jpg