PDA

View Full Version : costly car detailing

rmnunez
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
interesting video from Britian, detailing an Maserati MC 12, applies wax by hand, literality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkmZveqyU5E&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b

gb387
Apr 21st, 2006, 02:14 AM
Interesting... he was washing in the direct sunlight!?!?

Paulvr4
Apr 21st, 2006, 03:40 AM
he can do whatever he wants - it's 6k pounds for the wax and people are paying for it! I'll have him come over to hand massage my rusted miata :cool:

Blr123
Apr 21st, 2006, 04:22 AM
Hi all,

You probably know but just incase the £5000 for wax includes a supply for life i.e. when 1 tub is empty you just send it back and they refill it.........errrrmmm........I was going to say free of charge :D ..........well it doesn't cost anymore put it that way :xyxthumbs

Bryan

PS I don't have any so if anyone has a FREE sample then I'm your man eh :D

matt colvin
Apr 21st, 2006, 04:36 AM
I had heard about the wax before, but didn't know you apply it by hand. That's pretty cool.

I'd like to see two of the same cars side by side, one detailed by the products he was using, and one by Meguiars. That would be interesting:)

BerraST
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:17 AM
Was from a program called 5th gear, the guy washes the cars using 61 steps or something silly, the cars come out looking lovely though.

the other pc
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:26 AM
Well, if any of you locals want to give it whirl it's made here in the colonies and it's cheaper on this side of the pond (six thousand dollars instead of pounds :) ).

Rubbing it in by hand is real cute but I've seen paint that I could swirl with my fingertips. A 2-for-a-buck-ninety-nine High Tech Applicator Pad (http://meguiars.com/?specialized-tools-applicators/High-Tech-Applicator-Pad) is more gentle.

Heck, if you're spending $6k on wax you might as well splurge and use a 2-for-two-ninety-nine Even-Coat Applicator pad (http://meguiars.com/?specialized-tools-applicators/Even-Coat-Applicator).

PC.

flipper
Apr 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Some one should tell him about the gritguard and the 2 bucket technic:D

Mike Phillips
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:35 AM
This is an example worthy of Myths & Confusion

For the record and for what it's worth, I've used my bare hand to apply a wax to a car I machine cleaned and polished using the rotary buffer first, so the finish was absolutely clean, smooth and free of any defects. This was back in 1991 in Bellevue, Washington at a shop called, "Urban Logic".

I did it to see what it was like as compared to what others have said and what I've read because some people/companies have recommended this method to apply their products.

While I didn't see any real harm in the process, a soft foam applicator works better because the physics of the foam allow it to hold product inside of itself, that you can then release as you press gently against the paint as your moving the pad over the finish.

You skin on the other hand only holds a small amount of product on the surface, [of your hand and fingers], creating a disadvantage when compared to the foam applicator pad for applying wax effectively and in a timely manner. Just my humble opinion, but given the option of applying wax by bare hand nor with a foam applicator pad, I would choose the applicator pad hands down... no pun intended... :D

If you pay attention, you can feel if any abrasive particles enter into the process because of your sense of touch, so that's a real benefit but if you're working clean and using good technique then this shouldn't be a factor anyways.

I will say that to advertise, or market your services to your customers and to tout that you apply your wax using your bare hand holds some mystique or air of elite professionalism/craftsmanship to it, (but only to the uneducated in the art of polishing paint).

My honest opinion... no benefit at all to apply any type of wax or paint sealant using only your bare hand.

I would take a simple, clean, soft foam wax applicator pad every time no questions asked, no doubts about the end-results.

Of course, reading about it is second-hand knowledge, the best test is to try it yourself and get first hand knowledge on the topic and decide for yourself if there is any true benefit to applying a wax with your bare hand or if this is just a form of marketing.

:)

sneek
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by BerraST
Was from a program called 5th gear, the guy washes the cars using 61 steps or something silly, the cars come out looking lovely though.

it sounds like its from top gear, but it is from 5th gear

but wow i want to go and try to apply wax with my hands even though almost all meguairs waxes say that they may cause skin irratation...its worth it!

MandarinaRacing
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I'll guarantee you that if we could have any single one of his customers attend one of our Detailing 101 classes here in Irvine, or one of the classes our Professional Field Reps teach, these customers would likely either do it themselves or locate and hire a detailer that knows what they're doing and charges a fair price without all the dog and pony show.

I would PAY to see the look on the owners expression...LOL:D

Alex

sneek
Apr 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM
lol at least every detailing fourm is bashing this guy
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/the-detailing-showcase/17835-british-detail-video.html
i actually want to wax by hand really bad i thnk i will get some heated #26 paste and try it!

imacarnut
Apr 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
what a shame... he's using the rotary to buff scratches, and then re-installs them when applying the wax by hand i bet. i've touched cd's for example, with my hands thinking they're all soft, clean, etc... but that wasn't the case when i've tried to remove a piece of dirt, hair, or whatever off the cd surface, only to scratch it.... :wall:

sneek
Apr 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
hmm maybe i wont try to wax my car by hand...i will try one of my rotary test panels

KLnyc
Apr 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Meh, 6K pound for that wax? I bet my Meg #16 its 6K time better than that 6000 pound wax :wall:

Alex7938
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
I think a few people are bashing him without fully knowing what he's capable of.

Your all assuming that hes left holograms/buffer trails?

And if you watch it, it is set up from a cost perspective instead of paint/car care perspective.

I know a few of the steps were a little wrong, but he obviously does something right as people( and we're talking rich people who ar'nt stupid when it comes to spending money(lottery winners aside)) keep going back.

And how hard is it to clean a car that'll probably cover 1000 miles a year or just sit in someones collection?

ps the wax in question is called Royale Glaze and now costs £7118.00( around $12,000)

Lt1Corvette
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by sneek
lol at least every detailing fourm is bashing this guy

He is getting bashed on ferrari chat as well.
Detailing knowledge aside. His pitch is great. He is expensive and and his products exotic. That makes people assume he is the best.

Alex7938
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:50 PM
Even on detailingworld.co.uk we've bashed him, but he's probably got loads more clients because of that 6 minute slot.

Mikeyc
Apr 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
This guy really is getting bashed all over the place. I think I've seen this thread on at least 5 different forums now and he's getting flack on in each one.

I can't really say he's doing anything wrong except maybe he should use the two bucket wash method. Personally, I've been bare hand applying wax for years without issue and get great results. Also, he probably shouldn't be washing out in direct sun light, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

Anyway, it seems most of the bashing comes from his outrageous prices and the outrageous costs of the products he uses. Frankly, I say "more power to him!" If he can find people to pay these prices I think that's awesome. Personally, I feel he uses expensive products in part to justify his prices. I'm sure similar results could be achieved with far cheaper products, but then he would have to charge less.

It's really great marketing plain and simple and I don't think people should be down on him for that. He probably makes a great living and obviously gets to work on some great cars.

On a side note I once saw an interview on TV with a detailer who used Evian to wash cars. I'm sure there's no advantage in terms of results with using bottled water, but it allowed him to charge more and get celebrity clients interested in his services.

Alex7938
Apr 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Also if you wash your cars then put it into the garage and not use it for a couple of weeks, would you 2 bucket washit again? as i doubt youd need to, as it would just be light dusting.

Originally posted by Mikeyc
On a side note I once saw an interview on TV with a detailer who used Evian to wash cars. I'm sure there's no advantage in terms of results with using bottled water, but it allowed him to charge more and get celebrity clients interested in his services.

Doesnt mineral water contain things like calcium?? making it a hard water??

Mikeyc
Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Alex7938
Also if you wash your cars then put it into the garage and not use it for a couple of weeks, would you 2 bucket washit again? as i doubt youd need to, as it would just be light dusting.

Doesnt mineral water contain things like calcium?? making it a hard water??

It never hurts to use the two bucket method. IMO there's no such thing as "too careful" when it comes to my car. Also, I'm not 100% sure it was Evian. It might have been regular bottled water most of which are just filtered water.

sneek
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM
lol this makes me want to start up my own detailing place

i will used meguiars products but i will but it from the most expensive retailer possible lol and only one pad per pannel :D

Erik Mejia
Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
His website says that his wax will protect the surface for up to a couple of years... I wonder if he knows that carnauba evaporates and disappears sooner than if he were to use a synthetic. I'd place my bets on Mike, Tim, and Joe over this guy everytime. I couldn't get over the fact that he washes and dries before cleaning the wheels, even I know that's a no no, and I'm not a pro.

SL1CK
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I've seen this somewhere, I can't seem to remember where, I think it was here? And how it takes over 61 steps to detail a car, and two weeks to do it. I'm trying to find the article, he washes with purified water and such. Be right back if I find it.

SL1CK
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Well I wasn't able to edit my last post, but heres one article that I found that has the 61 Steps he uses. This isn't the one I've seen, but has most of the same content.

http://mediablog.mail2web.com/gadgetmaniac/blog/archive/2006/05/4542/

fuzzydd
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't want to reveal every little thing about my process/technique/products if I were him.. it's not an instructional video lol..

I wonder if anyone's actually e-mailed him to ask why he does some of the things he does instead of flaming him behind his back..?

info@miracledetail.co.uk

JulesE34
Jun 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
There is a lot of unfair critisim about this individual, on this forum and others.

I have seen this guys work in person and I can gaurantee you that he does not leave swirls or holograms or any other kind of paint defect behind him.

This Guy also has contracts with our 'local' Ferrari and Lambroghini Dealerships. Do you honestly think that they would pay out similar money for the preperation of their show cars and their customers cars if his work wasn't up to scratch?

Perhaps it's because of the large amounts of money that this guy charges, that he has secured a niche in the market, and got a lot of free publicity for it as well that's got everyone jealous ?

Give the guy a break, he works hard and he gets paid well for his work by people that can clearly afford it (So he's not ripping anyone off, is he?) and he clearly loves what he does. Whats wrong with that?

Details
May 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM
He's good. Yes carnauba evaporates quicker but only when its hot and in the sun. how many mc 12's and enzos stay in the sun for long amount of time. These carnauba waxes are great for garage babies not daily drivers. When I use the zymol line I have noticed that when applying the wax with an applicator pad it runs out quicker. Applying by hand allows me to spread a smaller amount further due to the price of the wax. It not special bare hand applied its just being cheap I guess you would call it, and no it does not leave scrathes when you have a correctly preparated surface and clean hands.

I would also beleive the carnauba to be more for protection, rather then shine. Its the oils that softent then carnauba to make it workable that give it the shine. Thats what i beleive. I mean because carnauba in nature protects leaves on plants from drying out, not makes leaves shiny! Carnauba swells up when it gets wet. Thus creates beading. Greater protection, but for a shorter amount of time. ( thats why its on garage babies)

He washes in the sun because he has spot free water. He leaves out some of his steps so that way people like us cant duplicate it. Yes some of his prices are expensive and same with the wax, but when you have a few million dollar cars, you kind of forget what money is. He also does use the two bucket method, check out his website. As far as cleaning the wheels after cleaning the paint, that is backwards but how do you know he told them to edit the video differently.

He also considers his steps little things like. Step 1 washing, step 2 cleaning the wheels, step 3 cleaning the windows, and sooo on....

I also beleive the reason he breakes it up over a week or so is to let the polishes/waxes cure and dry before reapplying them for the second, third, and fourth time... Also some of those cars take 1-2 days of just straight machine polishing to get perfect due to their clear coats being hard as rock! Also you have to give the car a final rinse off/ washing because of all the powder from polishing, but you have to wait for them to fully dry before doing so or els they will just come right off.

You guys have to study and analyze things before you start bashing peoples business.

MrCLRider
May 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I just really do not know what to say about all of the comments I have just read on Paul... he has made a name for himself in the detailing world, why try and break it apart and take it away from him.

Mike Phillips
May 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
This is actually a thread from 2006 that was revived, I'm not sure why myself or someone else didn't bring up our forum rules in this thread early on to remind everyone we don't allow bashing.

Just to note, my comments in this thread were specific to the idea of using your bare hand to apply wax, regardless of whose doing it.

Anyways, one of the hardest things I think there is to do is to get top dollar for detailing cars. At least that's my experience here in America. My experience is that getting $300.00, $400.00, $500.00, $600.00 from the owner of a special interest car to remove all the swirls and create a show car finish is tough to do and usually requires you to either educate the person on what's involved so they understand the cost, or you have to have built up a reputation that enables you to command high prices. Of course you in part build-up your reputation by buffing out a lot of cars and this circles back to educating your customer to get top dollar.

At least that's my experience here in the U.S. working mostly with average or normal people that are into cars. I've personally never rubbed elbows with the super rich where $3000.00 for a jar of wax or thousands of dollars to wash and buff-out a car is no big deal to them and they willing beat a path to your door. I like the idea though. :D

So hats off to Paul for figuring out how to market himself to command the top dollars he gets paid for his craft. Most of us car guys can buff out a car, but marketing yourself and your business is where the majority of us lack knowledge, creativity, salesmanship and good old fashioned marketing genius.

Oh yeah... here's the link to the forum rules, we don't allow bashing on this forum and our Moderators Andy and Mark won't allow it in the future.

Forum Rules (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20635) :rulez1

:)

Quenga
May 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Haters! You know, I have not once thought this guy was crazy or too expensive. People that don't like him are jealous and don't understand basic economics/marketing. If people are willing to pay his prices for a premium/luxury service, he's not ripping anyone off. If they feel the cost is justified, they are receiving value from it.

This guy is a genious and everyone making bottom dollar servicing 100's of clients and complaining are rediculous. Does anyone buy Captain Crunch cereal over the nameless bag kind? Anyone fancy some Starbucks over some Folgers? Or maybe Calvin Klien underwear over some Haynes? Exactly. We don't all shop at Wal-Mart for everything for a reason. We value some stuff over others, mainly because brand names and excellant marketing. Again, this guy = total genious.

rusty bumper
Jul 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Amazing video for sure. Scottwax2

beautechnique-scott
Jul 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM
it was down to a certain individual whom was approached by paul dalton to promote him ( dom from dodo juice before dodo was created ).
in turn what happened was that dom actually got smegged by paul and paul got all the fame and fortune.
unfortunately for him he is either seen as a god ( which theirs only one and its not him )or a fool but hes made his claim to fame and wont be forgotten.
if you check his website now hes doing interior details from £65 which is below what was average so even hes struggling now.
as for the royale he uses it actually only gets refilled once a year not as soon as it is empty so isnt that great.............just another promotional thing TBH.

NiNe STaR SHiNe
Jul 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
saw this video a few months ago in HDTV and I enjoyed it but, none of the products seem to have been revealed to viewers so I did not gain much from it except I now know what I`ll be waxing the Barabus TKR with a few years from and who will more than likely be doing the work! :D:xyxthumbs;)

H.E.D
Jul 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Wow... Nice! I heard that European detailers are the highest paid the auto industry such as mechanics and so on... does anybody know if this is true?

Aussie Glossy
Aug 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Us aussie's get some good money detailing. Most of my work is in the $650 to $1,500 per detail.which includes a paint hardening (50% harder) and colour enhancing permanent crystal Lacquer coating
My new services thats coming will be a once off in the world including not just shine but 3D colour, permanent orange peel burial and will cost $1500 to $2,000. everything underneath and on top will be perfected.

not even paul does this

beautechnique-scott
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
in our money it works out at starting prices of $450 upwards.
4x4's and mpv's start from around $830 upwards.
these include paint swirl removal and full detail of the vehicle.
if the client wants wheels removing, serious fine tuning round every last nook and crannie it can weigh in at $1350-$1600.
its not all about the money imo its about knowing the vehicles been done to the spec the client wants.
i work a lot of bespoke jobs and tailor round what the client wants so in that sense im not one of the well off uk detailers but the charges are high over here for sure.

AeroCleanse
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
as for the royale he uses it actually only gets refilled once a year not as soon as it is empty so isnt that great.............just another promotional thing TBH.

He doesn't use Royale anymore, he has his own Swissvax product called Paul Dalton's Crystal Rock

beautechnique-scott
Aug 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Hes been swissvax for some time now.
The crystal rock was the first initial step for the dalton/swissvax joining forces.
The guy that trained me was the trainer for swissvax for 15 years and had enough as swissvax were forcing detailers to be authorised and he didnt think they were good enough tbh.
Paul is an outstanding detailer but there are many more that arent in the public eye so much that are far better.
The swissvax/dalton thing is just another promotional product to increase sales, same as david beckham and adiddas etc imo.
So much politics every day in the world of detailing, its sad at times as were all in the trade whether just starting out or long time served.

jakers11
Jun 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM
i watched this yesterday on Discovery channel, cool to see on here. Does waxing by hand actually do anything special?

Flash Gordon
Aug 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
With all the calicuses on my hand I had better stick to an applicator pad :nervous1

Fly Bye
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Does waxing by hand actually do anything special?

The warmth & oils from your hand liquify the hard paste. (turns a solid into a liquid)

hacker-pschorr
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM
but wow i want to go and try to apply wax with my hands even though almost all meguairs waxes say that they may cause skin irratation...its worth it!
So does that mean I should stop covering myself in M16 when I sun bathe?

Trying to find other uses for the eight tins I bought off eBay.....

Ravi_1992
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I tried waxing a car with Gold class wax by hand before, I didn't get any irritation. I prefer using a applicator pad though, I can get a more even coverage