PDA

View Full Version : Zebrano wood on dash, best way to clean

M5police
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good way to clean the wood in the interior of the car. Normally I just wipe down with the Meguiars all purpose cleaner and then wipe down with some Natural shine rubber and vinyl protectant as Iam cleaning the dash. It leaves a real greasy and slippery oil film behind. So if anyone can recommend anything else it would be appreciated. Willl Scratch X also remove the tiny scratches on the wood? The wood seems to be clear coated. I have this problem in all 5 of my Mercedes.
Thanks all!
Brandon:coolgleam

Mike Phillips
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Hi Brandon,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online :welcome

I'm 99.9% sure that our wood trim is clear coated. That being the case, then you should treat it like paint and use a wax on it.

For removing fine scratches, you could use ScratchX. For something as delicate as a clear coated piece of wood, I would first test in a small area before applying to the entire piece of trim.

Mike

M5police
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Hey Mike! Thanks for the welcome!:xyxthumbs

JCE
Aug 9th, 2004, 08:35 PM
A number of people at www.MercedesShop.com say they have used plastic lens polish to 'de-swirl' the surface of the Zebrano wood (They say it is a thick plastic coat over the wood, and a plastic polish is appropriate).

I haven't tried the plastic polish, but have used #9 on my center wood with good results - it wasn't very badly swirled to begin with, however. I was careful to keep the #9 away from the switch openings. I feared that if any glopped over into the switch cut out, it might soak into the raw edge of the wood at the cutout and bleed back under the clear coat material around the switch, let alone what it might do to the switch.

Next time I will probably give the Scratch X a try.