PDA

View Full Version : Gettting gasoline out of carpet...

escape
May 30th, 2006, 11:56 PM
About two weeks ago a gas can spilled over in my cargo area. The carpet is now permeated with gasoline. I have tried most everything (i.e. Fabreeze®, Bissel® carpet cleaner,etc.) to get the smell out, but to no avail. With the onset of hot weather the stench worsens daily. Will this just evaporate out and eventually be gone? Is there anything I can do? Please help...

Power man
May 31st, 2006, 02:28 AM
@escape

Try Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner (APC) in a dilution 1:10. If it doesn't work, take a dilution 1:4 and it works guaranteed.

Hope this helps :cool:

Harald

escape
May 31st, 2006, 03:07 AM
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Dragpakmach
May 31st, 2006, 03:43 AM
Did you spill the fuel in the cargo area of the Escape?If you did pull out everything in the cargo area including the spare tire and clean from the bottom up.Use APC or odor eliminator #23.My wife has a Escape and you would be suprized what ends up under the spare tire.Hope this helps.

Jimmy Buffit
May 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Vinegar.
Ammonia.

Use them separately, as they are at opposite ends of the pH scale.

Odds are that you'll need to remove the carpeting to get both sides.

escape
May 31st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Dragpakmach
Did you spill the fuel in the cargo area of the Escape?If you did pull out everything in the cargo area including the spare tire and clean from the bottom up.Use APC or odor eliminator #23.My wife has a Escape and you would be suprized what ends up under the spare tire.Hope this helps.
Yes it was in the Escape thank goodness, the wife would have killed me if it were the bimmer.

Thanks for all the tips I will try them tomorrow evening and see if I can't get this stench out.