PDA

View Full Version : grease on headliner

GSKTech
Jun 6th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Anyone know a way to remove grease from a headliner?

When I was putting in some rims into the back seat
I accidently bumped into the ceiling...

Material is a sort of cloth
Car is a PT Cruiser '04
Damage is a 2" straight black streak on a tan interior...

Thanks in advance

romulus
Jun 6th, 2006, 04:41 AM
what kind of grease? wheel bearing grease? or just dirt with brake dust?
If its actually grease, I would take some paper towel and lift most of the grease. Then I would use some interior fabric cleaner and spray in to the headliner. Let it soak a bit and with a towel just let it absorb it by pressing on it. I would not recommend rubbing it at this point since you might smear more grease into the headlinner. Once most of the grease is out then you can try rubbing it at the edge to see if it got cleaned. If not repeat the process a couple more time.

TKDDAD
Jun 6th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Best grease remover I've ever used on clothing is Dawn dish detergent....never used it on a headliner but it's cloth so it may work...gentle is the key word here...do not rub too hard !!

Murr1525
Jun 6th, 2006, 04:55 AM
When I got my new car, it had a little grease on the headliner. At least it looked like grease.

I got the Heavy Duty Carpet and Interior cleaner. Sprayed on a terry cloth, and dabbed till it was gone. Didnt take more than 5 minutes.

Heavy Duty Carpet & Interior Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_detailpage.cfm?product=Heavy-Duty-Carpet-&-Interior-Cleaner&sku=G-94)

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/1008Heavy_Duty_Carpet_and_Interior_Cleaner.jpg

Aminga
Jun 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Try the mild stuff first but if all else fails here's one that always works for me. Automotive Brake Cleaner is for all practical purposes the same as dry cleaning fluid. I've used it to remove some stubborn stains from carpet. Don't know about headliner though. Sometimes the boards are foam and I don't know what it would do to the foam. Test on an incomspcious place first.

GSKTech
Jun 7th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Hmm, I guess I don't really know if it is grease, brake dust, dirt, or probably a little bit of it all...

It's not gooey like a wheel bearing grease,
but coming from the rim of a tire,

So probably more like dust, and dirt...

I'll try to post some photos...

GSKTech
Jun 7th, 2006, 02:48 AM
photo2

GSKTech
Jun 7th, 2006, 02:49 AM
photo 3

TKDDAD
Jun 7th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I'd still try a little Dawn and warm water first....

Murr1525
Jun 7th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Yeah, looks like mine did.

romulus
Jun 7th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Looking at the pictureds, its not that bad as I believed. Yes use some carpet/interior fabric cleaner. Just be gentle.

GSKTech
Aug 10th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Well I finally got hte Meguiars carpet cleaner.

It is fantastic !

The dark stain completly disapeared.

I highly recomend it.

Jarhead0754
Jun 8th, 2014, 05:27 AM
Add Content