PDA

View Full Version : Tip on wheel wells -- Tech Protect!

miked2
Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
I'm kinda bad with wheel wells. I'll spray some soap in there, and rinse them really good, but never really like scrubbing them that much.

I was looking at the wheel wells the other day, though, and noticed that they're black plastic. I figured, well, I use Nxt Tech Protect on other exterior plastic surfaces, why not try it?

And I did . . . and it works really well! I just spray it on there (being careful to not hit the tires, as you don't want slick tires!), and let it drip down (makes nice spots on the driveway :). Tech Protect covers up any residual dirt pretty well, too, while making the wells nice and deep/rich black in color. After a few days of driving I checked, and the wheel wells were still very black!

I was using Tech Protect for tires, but wasn't impressed with the durability, and since switching to Endurance, didn't have the need to use it for tires any more anyway. I've been basically relegating Tech Protect to exterior plastic trim and some trunk/cargo area plastic, but now it's a workhouse product again. Meg's will be happy to know that you go through TP a lot more quickly when spraying it on wheel wells . . . !

Murr1525
Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
You might like trying the All-Season Dressing.. even more durable on exterior stuff.

pcfxer
Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
You can always spray APC and blast off most of the dirt with a pressure washer.

I'll get some All-Season as opposed to the left-over Turtle Wax dressing.

MattN03
Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
I use Hyper-Dressing on the wheel wells. :xyxthumbs

gb387
Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by MattN03
I use Hyper-Dressing on the wheel wells. :xyxthumbs

Same here... spray it on and walk away, dries and looks great. May not be the longest lasting option but works well for me.

MattN03
Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by gb387
Same here... spray it on and walk away, dries and looks great. May not be the longest lasting option but works well for me.

Yeah, I really like to use it for car shows when I show the Mach 1. I use it on my DD from time to time with pretty good results-as long as it doesn't rain.

farmboy
Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
I've used many different products on my wheel wells (Ram 4x4). I just ordered all season dressing to try out. I have been using #40, tech protect, and natural shine. It makes a huge difference dressing the wells.:xyxthumbs

TrufflePig
Sep 16th, 2006, 03:08 AM
first I spray a degreaser that's diluted. let it sit for about 15 seconds and then wipe it off with MF.

then i spray all purpose cleaner and let that sit for 30 seconds and wipe that down with another MF.

then I dress it with M40.

WHITE HONDA
Sep 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM
I clean wheel wells with a GOOD degreaser and a long handle brush after it dries I spray it down with acrylic floor wax last for about a month.

TZScales
Sep 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
You may consider removing the wheels and tires paying attention to safe support of the vehicle. You can then really clean the wheel wells, and apply tech protect. In addition, you can clean the insides of the wheels as well.

:)

MoToRhEaD
Nov 5th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I would not remove tires just to clean and dress wells cause of safety regs. You just might not tighten the lugs enough and cause a reck unless u have the right skills and air tools, just my opinion.

pcfxer
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM
If you don't have the "skills" to tighten a lug nut then you shouldn't be detailing.

Junebug
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:07 AM
"
If you don't have the "skills" to tighten a lug nut then you shouldn't be detailing."

Amen!!

Dee
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Miked2, that is a good suggestion.. When I read your post I thought about another Nxt Generation product that may have multiple uses... Nxt Generation spray wax, has anyone tried it on their rims.. I've seen several posts where people have used the Nxt Generation Tech wax on their wheels, but I haven't seen any posts where someone has tried the Tech Wax on their rims.. I think I will give it a try this weekend..:-)

imacarnut
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
hyper or water based dressing for the wheel wells diluted for me...

jeffgrice
Jan 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM
I use wd40 on engine, rubber, wells - all plastic parts. Works great.

Jeff

Abrasive1
Jan 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM
I use wd40 on engine, rubber, wells - all plastic parts. Works great.

Jeff

At the risk of sounding ignorant, why use a petroleum based product when there are so many water based products designed for the exact purpose? WD-40 isn't exactly cheap compared to some specific purpose products.

STG
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
I've seen several posts where people have used the Nxt Generation Tech wax on their wheels, but I haven't seen any posts where someone has tried the Tech Wax on their rims.. I think I will give it a try this weekend..:-)

The incorrect use of the word rim has become an accepted substitute for wheel.

fromthecoast
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I've used the Tech Protect on the visible areas of my wheel wells also. It works pretty well I think.

J. A. Michaels
Mar 21st, 2007, 07:49 AM
With my next order from ads I decided to order some all season for the wheel wells. Just my idea after doing some research. By reading this thread, I'm more convinced that this is the right choice. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

oc detailer
Mar 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM
ive heard of guys using pledge for the wheels wells, i just use the cheapest tire dressing in a spray bottle i can find..

Jack230
Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:37 AM
I use Trim Detailer on tires. lol

Works great for me :xyxthumbs

HagFan
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
I've got my hands full with 2 cars, a house and landscaped yard. I'll have to focus my detailing time and effort on the top side. But I will keep this thread as evidence to my wife that I'm not obsessed.:laughing

HagFan
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
I've got my hands full with 2 cars, a house and landscaped yard. I'll have to focus my detailing time and effort on the top side. But I will keep this thread as evidence to my wife that I'm not obsessed.:laughing

Lucky161
Mar 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Wheels should not be tightened with air tools, but with a torque wrench. Otherwise you may warp your rotors.

JG_Detailing
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I usually spray the wheel wells with tire shine after they have been cleabed. Just to dress them up.