PDA

View Full Version : Wax on Body Side Molding

JSUPER
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I accidently got some wax on the body side molding. It has turned kind of white and seems impossible to get off. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I tried different soaps and brushes and after the car dries after washing it those marks come right back.

ueb0258
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:46 AM
I have heard that peanut butter will take care of this. I have been trying to get the time to try it out on my own but alas have not been able to as of yet.

Murr1525
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:26 AM
I have heard good things about peanut butter, though Meguiars #39 Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner is also a good choice. And a soft toothbrush.

ktlimq
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I could remove some mild stain on black trim with one step (clean and dress) products like Meguiars NXT protectant and Lexol Vinylex protectant.

kellyinkc
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I second the PB! I've tried it and it works. A lttle dab does ya! Just rub it in with a terry towel.

Michael Stoops
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Another vote here for Meguiar's #39 - great stuff!!

TKDDAD
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:46 AM
PB ?!!....well, I guess you'd never be hungry when you detail if you had a jar of Jif in your detail kit !:xyxthumbs

93ZF6
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM
PB does work but make sure it is creamy, I don't think the chunky has Megs diminishing properties!

Guiser
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
:iagree: I just started using #39 and love it. I had some bird poo dry white on rubber from about two years ago. No amount of washing or scrubbing would remove it. This stuff took it off in about 2 seconds flat. :D I read somewhere that you should follow with a protectant since this is a cleaner only. I like #40 myself, not too shiny, not too matte.

I have also used it to clean wax/cleaners/polishes from places they shouldn't go, but mostly #40 is all it takes.

- Ben

Setec Astronomy
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:57 AM
I'd try the #39 or another cleaner (like an APC). The cleaners will remove the wax in the surrounding area, so be aware of that. Although the peanut butter is a matter of some debate, IMO that is hiding the problem rather than removing it. The cleaner, carefully scrubbed in with a coarse towel or small stiff brush (again, be careful not to swirl the surrounding painted areas) will dissolve and remove that dried wax.

rascal
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:52 AM
#39 and the Triple Duty Detail brush from Meguiar's for me. Followed with some Meguiar's Trim Detailer :xyxthumbs

I used it on my mirrors and rubber trim and made them look so much better than before. The Detail brush has really small bristols for the hard to reach areas and a bigger brush for wider areas. The bristols are strong, but soft so they won't scratch your paint. I have a black car and I didn't see any marring or scratches from the brush after working with it strongly.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/product_X-1130.gif

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/product_m39_small1.gif

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/product_g108_small.gif

whiterock1
Oct 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
The best stuff I've found for getting dry wax off plastic trim is Mothers Back to Black. You put it on generously, and it takes the white residue right off. I also like Mothers quick detailer the best. These are the only two products I've found that beat Meguiars. :)

MaximusZTS
Oct 25th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I would say try #40 then if that did not work try some #39.