PDA

View Full Version : Which Wax gives you the best Gloss and Reflection?

andorucojp
Jul 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Which of meguiars waxes do you think makes your car look more like a show car with the most gloss and reflection? :coolgleam

rascal
Jul 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I have only used DC3 on my car and have had great results, but I haven't tried any other Meguiar's waxes yet. I have been leaning towards the #21 since I have hear great reviews for lasting longer on black cars. The NXT wax sounds nice, but have heard it doesn't last long as long as #21 on a black car. My vote will be for DC3 for now, but when I do get to change to another Meg's wax, I will post back here on the results.

SiriusRIMZ
Jul 15th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Its hard to say which is best. Each one has a specific application, like I prefer 21 on some cars, then again I like 16 on other. Its personal taste.

kellyinkc
Jul 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Where is 16? ;)
All depends on the person I guess.

EdT
Jul 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Meguair's didn't know they had a good thing till its too late now ! :(

gb387
Jul 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
#21 is highest on my list(thats what I voted for)... NXT is very close second, paste or liquid. :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

kpagel
Jul 15th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I love #26!

scrub
Jul 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM
NXT topped with #26 Hi Tech. Hi Tech gives a nice warmth to dark colors.

andorucojp
Jul 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Come On! 421 people have viewed this thread since last night and only 45 have voted? If you have tried more than one, VOTE! We want your opinion!

andorucojp
Jul 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I hope Mike Phillips replys. I wonder what he uses on his car. :)

sneek
Jul 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I voted for Gold Class and #21! Both very very good products!!

Deaner5
Jul 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I like Gold Class Liquid, but Cleaner Wax isn't all that bad for a one step wax and should be given some props as well.

Murr1525
Jul 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Well, I guess most of those would top Cleaner/Wax or ColorX... But they really are darn good on their own. Perhaps the wrong category for them to be involved with.

Dee
Jul 17th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I voted for Nxt liquid, but it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I use #21 much more than I use the NXT liquid. The NXT has a great gloss to it, but it has a peak time of 5-10 days max, after that the car returns back to the normal shine (which is excellent). Conversely, the #21 may not give the same shine (or gloss), but it keeps its original shine for a long time.. From my experience much longer than the Nxt liquid. I use NXT when I really want give it that extra shine:bounce

andorucojp
Jul 17th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Everyone is always talking about NXT Wax and I figured it might not be the majority's favorite. That's why I posted this poll.

I am using Deep Crystal #3 right now but haven't used any others and so haven't voted. But, now I know which one to get when I run out.

a2z13
Jul 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
#21 so far -- GBY!

RamAirV1
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:05 AM
#21 is very close to NXT Paste! It is probably better for a daily driver because IMHO it is longer lasting and leaves a slicker surface. Bugs, tar, etc. wipe off very easily.

sneek
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I can't believe no one tops #21 with Gold Class!

rascal
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:48 PM
*Update* I tried #26 on my Dad's classic car and it did wonderful. Found out he had bought this bottle a couple years ago, but never opened it. I clayed his car after washing it and put two thin coats of #26. Amazing results!!

KNanthrup
Jul 26th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Which one would you guys use for long-lasting hardcore protection (say a winter wax) with sacrificing maybe a little bit of show and shine (but still looking good).

Dee
Jul 27th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I would say #21. Its really great, and like I stated in my previous thread, NXT has the shine and the gloss, but #21 has a great look to it as well and is much more durable than the NXT. I think you buy both.. I use NXT on holidays, and family gatherings because I like to hear the compliments of friends and family on the finish.. But I use #21 for durability (and it has a great shine to it as well) but for day-to-day driving you need the #21. In fact you could use the #21 and top it with NXT... I've never tried it, but I'm sure that would be a deadly combo.

RamAirV1
Jul 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Dee
I would say #21. Its really great, and like I stated in my previous thread, NXT has the shine and the gloss, but #21 has a great look to it as well and is much more durable than the NXT. I think you buy both.. I use NXT on holidays, and family gatherings because I like to hear the compliments of friends and family on the finish.. But I use #21 for durability (and it has a great shine to it as well) but for day-to-day driving you need the #21. In fact you could use the #21 and top it with NXT... I've never tried it, but I'm sure that would be a deadly combo.

#21 topped with NXT Paste is my favorite combination right now.

RamAirV1

RamAirV1
Aug 15th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by EdT

Meguair's didn't know they had a good thing till its too late now ! :(

You can thank govt. VOC regulations for #16 being phased out!

RamAirV1

Kman
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
#26 for sure.

foxhound58
Aug 18th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I voted for #20. I have yet to use #21. I voted this way because it seems to last the longest. I have yet to not be pleased with any that I have used. To me its the prep work that really counts anyway. What really makes the difference to me is two coating which ever one I use. It seems to make it twice as nice.
Fox

navyblue2000
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:51 AM
I have used a few meg's waxes to far, and it seems the color of the car has a lot to do with how I like the wax.

Consumer Line cleaner/wax looks REALLY good on lighter color cars, or "clear" colors, kind of like silver I guess. i used consumer line cleaner/wax on my wife's silver trailblazer, and I've never seen cleaner wax look so good. used it on my sister in law's RED cobalt, and it looked pretty good, but it didn't POP out at me.

I've tried #26 on my dark blue cobalt, and it looks awesome.

I'm going to try 26 on my red trans am when I give it a full detail, see how it looks.

del_badboy
Sep 17th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I voted for #26 but i believe differant vehicles take to differant waxes better than others.I also believe alot of my gloss and reflection comes from #7 polish (multiple coats) but if you put any topping wax over #7 its going to look deep. this is only my opinion, ive used 20,21,nxt,aio n sealant and alot of others pinnacle, zymbol 120.00 abottle,what a waste.the only thing i would choose to compare to 26 is #16 and pro wax yellow wax in the tin (paste).

Perfectshine
Sep 17th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I chose NXT Liquid as im using that wax at the moment. Pretty much satisfied with the gloss and protection. Wondering if i could protect it more by putting a coat of #21 then after that top it up with #26.
Wonder how's that going to turn out. Gonna try that next month when i get #21 & #26 for sure. Does this sound ok?:o

35th Anniversary SS
Sep 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Im in love with #26. I use #26 paste on all my customers dark colored cars and NXT liquid on customers cars with lighter colored cars.

I havent had a chance yet to use my #21 but cant wait.... Ill deffinately be topping it with #26 on my own car.

Lydia
Sep 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM
I voted NXT wax because it looks so awesome, but for when I don't have time to do prep work I love ColorX.

I want to try #21 topped with NXT (or is it the other way around?) sometime, because NXT doesn't seem to last quite as long as I would like it to.

flameon
Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
will NXT wax remove the gloss that #7 provides since it's ALMOST part cleaner?

DaGonz
Sep 24th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I use Meguiar's #26, #20 and NXT, depending on the vehicle.

I will be doing muy Mustang in #21 shortly.

mustangGT
Sep 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
ok...so i'm new here (great forums), but i've been a meguiars fan for a while. i've only used the gold class liquid wax so far, but i absolutely love it. here's why (and i'm bringing back some old school, so don't laugh):

up until recently my baby was a '93 maxima (r.i.p. may 2006) with original charcoal paint...on most of the car ;) and i can honestly say it looked better than most of the cars rolling out of dealer lots. the car was driven hard and not waxed for almost 8 years before i got it. i probably only waxed my daily driven, non-garaged car 2-3 times per year, and it still looked great. (just to give you a better idea, the car had 270k miles on it and looked like it only had 30k) i only regret i don't have a photo.

i know i must sound like an infomercial by now, but thanks for reading...and thank you meguiars!

MaximusZTS
Sep 29th, 2006, 09:50 AM
#21 topped with NXT Paste is my favorite combination right now.
RamAirV1

Thats what I use! :xyxthumbs

acsuppa
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I used #26 for the first time on my wife's Moss Green Jeep. Looks great! Feels sooo slick. I can't wait to put a few coats on my truck.

Suh
Oct 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM
The results would be far more valid if everyone who voted had tried each of the products.

cute02spec
Oct 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I like NXT Gen topped with Gold Class. I have a silver car, and it just made the color very reflective and very stunning. That's what I was using during this past summer's show season.

I haven't tried any other Meg's waxes besides the cleaner wax. The cleaner wax was good for being what it is, but it didn't do anything stunning to the silver color.

Scottwax
Oct 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Another vote for #16 but since that was discontinued (still have a couple tins left though!), my next choice would be NXT Paste, looks terrific on my black car. :)

toadanator
Oct 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM
my vote would be gold class i have a black tacoma have tried 26 and nxt are good waxes but gold class is my fav:D

gridiron
Oct 15th, 2006, 04:47 AM
I just used the Deep Crystal carnauba wax over #7. I have the NXT paste but I like the carnauba better.

jason74
Oct 25th, 2006, 10:01 AM
nxt liquid is my favorite.....but I just bought a new vehicle that is silver. any other wax perform better on this color than nxt would?

xjclassic
Oct 25th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I used to be a firm believer in #26. Then I switched to liquid Gold Class. Recently I have used liquid NXT. When I don't have time to invest, Cleaner/Wax does a good job. I have never used #16, #20, or #21. I guess my best combo I have used the most is #83, #7, finished with NXT. I have darker cars now, but have used that combo on lighter (silver) cars I had in the past.

LS1MONSTER
Oct 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM
When I do a full detail.. I always finish it off with NXT..great shine and last for a long time. Once in awhile I'll go with GC for that deep wet look. And when I'm feeling lazy I go with the basic Meguiars cleaner wax..and have found that to be quite a awesome wax! Scottwax1

Tom Claessens
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I haven't tried #21 but since my car is light-coloured, I prefer Gold Class over NXT as it adds more "shine" to it. I usually put on two coats of Gold Class followed by a coat of autoglym extra gloss protection to ensure a really glossy finish, even on a light car.

For dark cars, NXT. (but I might switch to #21 after seeing such great results)

quikzilver
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:28 PM
So far, I only used ColorX and NXT Tech liquid wax. From these two, from a gloss and reflection point of view, I'd say NXT Tech is the best.

page2171
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:41 PM
On the F150 I had when I first became a Meguiars fan I loved Gold Class. When I got my G100 this month I got some #21 and I love that. The F150 is gone, so I guess to do a comparison I'll have to try some Gold Class on the minivan.

bernard78
Oct 29th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I have Gold Class, DC3, #16 & Nxt. I just started using Nxt yesterday. Its the best of all my collections. I haven't try the #16 yet though. As since its discontinue, I would want to keep it. As I collect this things. Hehehe. I voted the Nxt for now. Untill Meguiars come out with another best wax. Hehe... We can't get the Pro Mirror Glaze waxes in M'sia. So just have the Consumer line. Thks Mequiars for the Nxt....

Dynamicd
Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Personally, I've tried 'em all,,,,even non meguiars. I've recently ordered 64oz. of #21 from autodetailing solutions, and after trying it,,,On my black F150,,,,I'M SOLD! And- the icing on the cake is how easy it wipes clean.

:)

Michael Stoops
Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
#21 + #16 = stunning

2slow4you
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry im new here, might be a thread already if not

can people post pics of the car/truck and what wax your using, lets see the gloss and reflection..

gorin002
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM
i do not know i think one add to the other

CivicEM205
Nov 11th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I've been using NXT liquid since it's come out and I love it. However, I think next time I need to buy it, I might try the paste to see if it gives any better results.

Dee
Nov 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I purchased the Hi-Tech Yellow Wax about a month ago and I finally tried it. . I must say that IMO it is no where close in terms of clarity to the 21 polymer sealant, and its not even in the same hemishpere as the NXT Generation Liquid wax. I think I will see if I can sell it on EBay:-)

BlueZero
Nov 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Rain Dance!:laughing

Oh, what Meguiar's wax... I love NXT but now I have been using #21 more and more. Think I just might end up using that from now on. Or maybe NXT over #21.

noswirler
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
BEST COMBO EVER GOLD PASTE FOLLOWED BY NXT PASTE ...............WOW:cool:

I DONT KNOW? ITS JUST FUN TO DO

cherrycougar
Nov 19th, 2006, 06:19 AM
I started out with Gold Class then moved on to NXT liquid which provided a bit more shine but most notably had this real nice futuristic plastic like look which I really liked. I've moved on to NXT spray though which wasn't on the list or I would have voted for that. I've used the spray twice so far using about 1/3 of a bottle each time and it's been stunningly better than the other 2. The Gold Class was a 10, the NXT Liquid was a 12, the liquid's at least a 20:bow

RamAirV1
Nov 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I started out with Gold Class then moved on to NXT liquid which provided a bit more shine but most notably had this real nice futuristic plastic like look which I really liked. I've moved on to NXT spray though which wasn't on the list or I would have voted for that. I've used the spray twice so far using about 1/3 of a bottle each time and it's been stunningly better than the other 2. The Gold Class was a 10, the NXT Liquid was a 12, the liquid's at least a 20:bow

I hope you didn't use a 1/3 of a bottle on a single vehicle. That would streak like crazy. Either that or you must live where there is zero humidity! The NXT Spray Booster Wax gives a great look, but if you apply too much it streaks really bad and this will happen in high humidity even if you apply a thin layer.

RamAirV1

buda
Nov 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Contact me directly and I will send you a copy of an independent comparative study that was done of 25 paint sealants and waxes used by detailers in the USA and Canada.

They were compared for:

a. Before and after reflective shine using a Glossometer
b. Shine retention after 12 washings, or percentage of shine loss.
c Resistence to corrosion, in the case of the test, to salt water.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Jeepster04
Nov 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Contact me directly and I will send you a copy of an independent comparative study that was done of 25 paint sealants and waxes used by detailers in the USA and Canada.

They were compared for:

a. Before and after reflective shine using a Glossometer
b. Shine retention after 12 washings, or percentage of shine loss.
c Resistence to corrosion, in the case of the test, to salt water.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Sent you an email.. :coolgleam

buda
Nov 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Sent you an email in reply. Let me know what you think?
Bud Abraham

cherrycougar
Nov 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I hope you didn't use a 1/3 of a bottle on a single vehicle. That would streak like crazy. Either that or you must live where there is zero humidity! The NXT Spray Booster Wax gives a great look, but if you apply too much it streaks really bad and this will happen in high humidity even if you apply a thin layer.

RamAirV1

Normal humidity and no streaks although if you don't let it dry it's going to be harder to take off.

I've also used that much in a heated hand wash indoor garage with super high humidity and while it did require a bit more rubbing as I didn't want to spend a bunch more money on the extra time it would take to dry the finish was absolutely gorgeous it was all buffed off.

Having said all that I don't think you'd want to try that on a car which wassn't extremely well waxed as your paint may grab the stuff more. I've never had a problem with streaks though with Maguires products.

gorin002
Dec 6th, 2006, 01:56 AM
i have polish
do not the nummber nxt wax
Deep Crystal carnauba wax
liquid Gold Class

i ever tryed tutelwax.was one extreme wax in past form.man you sweat
as hell to polish it.

Graeme
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Well I am happy with Gold Class and Nxt Liquid, I did GC topped with NXT. Next time it was suggested I do it the other way round, So I will see how it turns out.

gorin002
Dec 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM
one smal note
we do not have colorX

chessplayer
Jan 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM
when i first started out detailing my vehicles it was the DC#3 .Now that i picked up a bottle of Gold Class this X-mas ,WOW..........So i have to go with the Meguiars Gold Class.............

DysA32
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
i like #21, "the purple stuff"!

OhioCarBuff
Jan 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I'd have to say #26 seems to give the deepest shine (as in it deposits the thickest layer on, probably because it's a pure wax and has to polish and cleaners in it)

If you don't do a pre polish step, then gold class gives the best shine, even better then NXT cuz GC has polish in it. If you do a pre polish step before NXT, then NXT has a better shine then GC

J. A. Michaels
Feb 24th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I have to go with the purple stuff #21. I started out with Gold Class then went to #21 and been a fan since.

avwh
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
dumb, newbie Q: is the "NXT Liquid" in the poll the "NXT Tech Wax"?

oc detailer
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:42 PM
sure is..

buda
Mar 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM
For anyone interested you can get a comparision study we had done of 25 paint sealants and waxes used by detailers all over the USA and Canada, "Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants and Waxes."

The study tested the products for three things:

1. Before and After application to measure reflective shine increase using a Glossometer.

2. Percentage of reflective gloss loss after 12 washings using a Glossometer

3. Corrosion resistence - the test model was salt water which is one of the worst elements to destroy wax/sealant protection.

Contact Sharie to request your copy: [Commercial links or emails are not allowed on MOL. Please refer to the Forum Rules; Thanks, 2hotford]

Regards
Bud Abraham

BlueZero
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks Bud! I just emailed Sharie. :D

JG_Detailing
Mar 10th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I usually use NXT Paste Wax. But sometimes I'll use Gold Class liquid wax.

avwh
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM
For anyone interested you can get a comparision study we had done of 25 paint sealants and waxes used by detailers all over the USA and Canada, "Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants and Waxes."

The study tested the products for three things:

1. Before and After application to measure reflective shine increase using a Glossometer.

2. Percentage of reflective gloss loss after 12 washings using a Glossometer

3. Corrosion resistence - the test model was salt water which is one of the worst elements to destroy wax/sealant protection.

Contact Sharie to request your copy:

Regards
Bud Abraham

Bud:
am I reading that report correctly? This study was done in 1990 - which is several generations ago as far as product lines available today...

buda
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
No, you are not reading it correctly. A similiar test was done in 1990, but the lab had used a number of "off-the-shelf" retail products.

We had the lab do another test and we obtained samples of products from detailers all over the USA and Canada, including our DIAMOND PLUS.

This test was done about 3 years ago.

Bud Abraham

Nappers
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I like NXT, but I recently put GC liquid on my Dodge Neon (see Show Off :)). They are all good. I want to try #21 and the Carnuba waxes as well.

"I hope Mike Phillips replys. I wonder what he uses on his car. :)"

He may not reply as I'm sure he don't want people to flock towards "his" preference when there are so many other great products Meguiars makes. Personal preference is big here.

Aaron

redhcnc
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
All Meguiars.

Daniel Kinder
Jan 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I voted on the synthetic sealant
I think this was one of the hardest to decide on because I use them all from time to time and they are all great in one way or another
my favorite is #26 paste but #16 is the tough as nails wax that just can't be beat for durability!
but one other that should have been up there is #66 and the forever great stand by a12
just by two cents!

jfelbab
Jan 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I own and have used all of Meg's LSP's listed. I'll just hit on the ones I use most frequently.

In terms of reflectivity I'd say NXT & NXT 2.0 with #21 and #16 close behind.

On darker colored cars I prefer a less reflective look. On dark colors I like #26 as it makes black look like you could fall in and disappear. Gold Class falls somewhere between #16 and #26.

•In terms of reflectivity I'd rank them;
NXT, #21, #16, #20, GC, #26

•In terms of appearance longevity, I'd rank them;
#21, #16, #20, #26, GC, NXT (NXT 2.0 - too early to rate)

•In terms of durability and length of protection I'd rank them;
NXT, #21, #16, #20, #26, GC (NXT 2.0 - too early to rate)

I've used the latest NXT 2.0 but not #21 2.0 yet. NXT 2.0 would remain in the same spot in my appearance ranking but it's too early to tell how long the appearance will last. It's been three weeks and the appearance and slickness are excellent, which seems better than the original for sure.

Remember that this is a very subjective view. What it looks like to me and my tastes could be quite different than what you see.

buda
Jan 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM
In the Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants and Waxes used by detailers in the USA and Canada the products with the highest percentage increase in gloss after application were:

Klasse 32.8%
TST 5000 32.6%
Valuguard 32.0%

Meguiar's High Tech Wax was - 5.5%

After 12 simulated washings the top three in gloss decrease were:

Zymol Cleaner 5.16% increase
Aerospace 1.8% increase
DIAMOND PLUS 0.01% decrease

High Tech Wax 1.38% decrease

Largest decrease in gloss was #845 Collinite at 7.14%

The top three in resistence to salt water corrosion were:

DIAMOND PLUS
Zaino Bros
885 Fleet Wax

Lowest resistence to salt water was Gold Edition

Bud Abraham

DETAIL DAN
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
What does MIKE PHILLIPS use on his cars ? ? ? I want to know.

Bad Brad777
Apr 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Another vote for #16 but since that was discontinued (still have a couple tins left though!), my next choice would be NXT Paste, looks terrific on my black car. :)

Ditto on #16. Glad I have more than half a can left.

Dee
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I like the Paste, but my concern is the "passion" it takes to remove the product from the paint, makes believe that I will leave scratches on the paint. From your experience with the past, how are you able to mitigate that, especially with #16?

3Fitty
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
In the Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants and Waxes used by detailers in the USA and Canada the products with the highest percentage increase in gloss after application were:

Klasse 32.8%
TST 5000 32.6%
Valuguard 32.0%

Meguiar's High Tech Wax was - 5.5%

After 12 simulated washings the top three in gloss decrease were:

Zymol Cleaner 5.16% increase
Aerospace 1.8% increase
DIAMOND PLUS 0.01% decrease

High Tech Wax 1.38% decrease

Largest decrease in gloss was #845 Collinite at 7.14%

The top three in resistence to salt water corrosion were:

DIAMOND PLUS
Zaino Bros
885 Fleet Wax

Lowest resistence to salt water was Gold Edition

Bud Abraham

Where did you get this information and what was the methodology used to get to these findings?

How do you measure, "highest percentage of gloss increase"? Seems pretty subjective to me, no?

jfelbab
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I like the Paste, but my concern is the "passion" it takes to remove the product from the paint, makes believe that I will leave scratches on the paint. From your experience with the past, how are you able to mitigate that, especially with #16?

Thin applications. Really thin. I get about 80 applications out of a tin. It comes off quite easily if you apply it very thin.

If you have any thick spots when removing re-moisten the area with the wax applicator again. It will re-dissolve the dried product and you can thin it out.

Alfisti
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM
•In terms of durability and length of protection I'd rank them;
NXT, #21, #16, #20, #26, GC (NXT 2.0 - too early to rate)
Are you saying NXT and #21 are more durable than #16?

NXT?? :wall:

Andy M.
Apr 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
Right now since I just tried the NXT 2.0, I would have to go with that. It really gave my Honda agreat wet looking shine.

Andy
101impala

Andy M.
Apr 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
What does MIKE PHILLIPS use on his cars ? ? ? I want to know.

MEGUIARS!:rofl:

Andy

Wolf-Strong
Apr 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
If I am not mistaken, Mike uses NXT 2.0 now ;)

Seriously just a fantastic wax!

jfelbab
May 6th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Are you saying NXT and #21 are more durable than #16?

NXT?? :wall:

This answer depends on how you define durability and of course this is my opinion after using these products over a period of years in my environment. Others may, and likely do, have other opinions. ;)

Between NXT 1.0 and #16

Durability and length of protection - winner NXT
Initial appearance - winner NXT
Longevity of shine - winner #16

I am now 4 months into a NXT 2.0 application and can easily say that it rates at the top of my list in all categories.

(Still not used #21 2.0)

djbisko
Jun 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I like NXT. It looks good on black cars.

palettonev6
Jun 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM
ColorX and GoldClass liquid:xyxthumbs

HNDDOG
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
NXT liquid followed by UQD the next day.

miahjohn
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM
i like the NXT 2.0. i bought a bottle with little hopes and was completely suprised how well it worked. easy on easy off and a shine like a mirror. been about 4 weeks now and still looks a great as it did after applying it!

Sven
Dec 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Synthetic sealent M21 2.0 for beste protection and water beading, topped with M16 for more highgloss Scottwax2

explicitshine
Dec 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I have tried all of them other than #20 the polymer sealant and find on a lighter car #21 is perfect shine.
For the darker cars i like to use #26 and i seem to get good remarks.
On my truck i use 21 then topped with 26 and i feel that is the plateau of shine for my pewter colored truck
Do you think it would be nessecary to try #20?:scratchhead1

EPHIOS
Dec 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Wax gives out very good gloss and reflection, but I do not know about the new, 2.0. I just hope that they improved the ease of removal for the 2.0.

Michael Stoops
Dec 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Wax gives out very good gloss and reflection, but I do not know about the new, 2.0. I just hope that they improved the ease of removal for the 2.0.
If you like the original NXT Generation Tech Wax you're going love 2.0. The gloss is improved, longevity is improved, it contains hydrophobic polymers, and if you apply it in a very thin coat and let it dry fully it practically falls off when you go to remove it.

Proper drying is essential though and will be impacted by temp and humidity. If it's getting cool or humid, let it dry longer than you might think necessary. In fact, allowing NXT to dry for what you might think is "too long" will make it easier to remove than letting it dry "not long enough". Now, I am NOT advocating that let NXT dry for two hours, but if you did it would be easier to remove than if you just let it dry for 5 minutes.

But allow it to dry fully and then wipe it off, and man does it POP!

Erik Mejia
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
The one I apply after properly preparing my paint.:chuckle1:chuckle1:chuckle1

It's all about the cleaning/ prep process.

christopherjhayes
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have been a fan of 26 since the '80s. Love it! Recently, however, I have been using NXT 2.0 liquid. Very impressed! My cars are metallic black, metallic taupe, and metallic silver. Two are classics. I love the way NXT gives each a deep, jewel-like finish. Makes me proud just to look at the vehicles. Yes, NXT seems to be short-lived. I don't mind as I love to detail the cars and get that flawless, just-waxed shine. The only downside is the cars are so slippery that it can be a challenge to put on car covers ;-) Totally agree with Erik that the genius is in the prep work (cleaning, claying, taping, polishing). That's why I go to Irvine to learn from the masters at Meguiar's.

Tuck91
Jan 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM
NXT 2.0 Liquid is my favorite beause when used on a prepped surface produces eye popping results

1970judge
Feb 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Gold class paste all day long.

Bigbucks1959
Apr 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
NXT 2.0 Liquid is my new favorite. Just picked up a bottle today and it has an awesome eye popping shine plus it is silky smooth.:chuckle1:chuckle1

NXT:worship

Bigbucks1959
Apr 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I think i may have applied too much NXT or did not wait long enuf for it to dry...Looks kinda hazy in sun now.

Bigbucks1959
Apr 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Or i used QD with a not totally soap clean towel..Hmmmm..May just use dawn and do it over again today..My car also had a few coats of Gold Class on it......

PK

cardriver
May 1st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the info, Bud. However, when it comes to studies and such, I'd like to see someone cite the source for such suggestive information, assuming there is a properly-identifiable organization or source that published the findings :xyxthumbs. I've tried a bunch of the combinations listed, but not enough to really say. All I know for sure is that I love NXT 2.0 liquid for so many reasons.

MrCLRider
May 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Or i used QD with a not totally soap clean towel..Hmmmm..May just use dawn and do it over again today..My car also had a few coats of Gold Class on it......

PK

I beleive at the point in which you want to put down your NXT, I would suggest starting the paint from scratch, completely remove all the GC you might have on it, you want to have the nxt as the base layer, then top from there

Bigbucks1959
May 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Thx for the info....will try that this weekend

PK

I beleive at the point in which you want to put down your NXT, I would suggest starting the paint from scratch, completely remove all the GC you might have on it, you want to have the nxt as the base layer, then top from there

ColonelCash
May 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Gold class paste all day long.

Just picked up a CASE of Gold Class paste wax for $20 (14oz. tins). I'm set for a while.

Ron500
Aug 6th, 2009, 06:55 AM
personally i havnt used any of the professional-line products, out of the consumer range i thinkit is a hard choice between Nxt and Gold class, both products have different benefits -

Gold class wax has always impressed me with its more premium image and also being an almost 100% natural wax, with hardly any synthetic ingredients, for some reason I am more 'pleased' when using this wax.

Nxt on the other hand has more of a 'popping' appeal, as it is a synthetic wax, and contains light cleaning abrasives, but a hard choice between the two..

Alfisti
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Both NXT and Gold Class have their own look and both have appealing attributes.

But, to clarify some info above:

Gold Class has mostly synthetic ingredients with some natural components, like carnauba.

NXT contains no abrasives.

Hope his helps. :)

79elcamino
Aug 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM
nxt does have cleaning agents in it, but they are so so mild the really dont do much

79elcamino
Sep 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
in my opinion gold class leaves a wetter look but i noticed that i didnt see my metal flake as much as i did with NXT 2.0

Larry A
Dec 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Where did you get this information and what was the methodology used to get to these findings?

How do you measure, "highest percentage of gloss increase"? Seems pretty subjective to me, no?

Buds test was done in a lab by professional chemist, with professional equipment.

buda
Dec 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
In answer to 3Fitty and Larry A - YES, the tests were conducted by a laboratory, certified chemists, using scientific equipment. Otherwise what would be the point of a comparative test.

As far as the measuring reflective shine before and after application and after 12 washings (simulating once a month washing) this was done by a Glossometer. This is a scientific "reflective gloss measuring instrument" used by automotive paint companies; auto manufacturers; detail chemical companies; more sophisticated detail businesses among others to measure "quite accurately" the reflective shine off a painted surface in this case.

For example, General Motors has a "reflective gloss standard" for vehicles coming off their assembly line. "They must measure a reflective gloss of 79 to pass their acceptance test."

The best Glossometer I am personally aware of is made in Germany and sells for about $2500.

If you www.google.com "Glossometer" you can read all about them and their accuracy in measuring reflective gloss.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

Peter.kelly
Jan 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Me too on the Mike Phillips response. I think 21 topped by NXT paste is wonderful on a black car. Shines like obsidian!
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Nice_Car7.jpg

searle
Jan 15th, 2010, 08:23 AM
best Gloss+Reflection from NXT20 Paste or Liquid (same), which is really just the hand-application (consumer) version of #21.

FRS
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Yes #26

GRAMPYJ
Oct 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM
What would you suggest for a Lt blue Chrysler 300

buda
Oct 9th, 2010, 01:32 AM
You looking for shine or durability as your goal?

Regards
Bud Abraham

GRAMPYJ
Oct 9th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Well I would like both but preference would be shine.:doublethumbsup2

buda
Oct 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
In the Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants & Waxes these are the top 5 finishers in percentage increase in reflective shine, measured by a Glossometer:

Klasse - 32.8%
TST - 5000 32.6%
Valuguard 32.0%
2180 AS Ultra 31.2%
DIAMOND PLUS 30.9%

In terms of durability (resistence to salt water corrosion) these were the top 5 finishers:

DIAMOND PLUS
Zaino Brothers
885/Fleetwax
UltraCoat
Zymol Carbon

The 2 top finishers in reflective shine test were

#20 Valuguard
#21 Klasse

In the durability test.

Regards
Bud Abraham

GRAMPYJ
Oct 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Looks like I have my homework ahead of me. Thanks :work1

sleepy
Mar 20th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Love this post, I have used all of the Meg's products. Each has it's own appeal, Currently I use the new Gold Class liquid wax on my '64 Bel Air and '08 Taurus. Like the dept of the gloss and the longevity. For my '99 pearl white Caddi, I use NXT2. My wife and I like the shine, and again, the longevity. I would recommend any of Meg's products.

BodyInkMustang
Apr 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I was told at a Meguiars class to use 205 on my silver 2010 mustang

Blue Apollo IV
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
NXT 2.0 Liquid just delivers every time.

ffboy
Apr 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
just got to use my new carlack 68 twins.. i must say, the gloss, shine, and clarity was amazing! in the sun, the mirror like shine and brightness is better than NXT 2.0 and bought out a n almost differnt shade of color to the car. Does the NXT 2.0 even stand a chance against the shine carlack gives? Well, yes. Well a while ago, clouds gathered, sun hid behind the clouds, so its bit more gloomy now. I checked out the car again, and instead i got the not too impressive gloss which i got when the sun was out.. Here is where the nxt 2.0 "shines".. WHile not as shiny as carlack, NXT 2 wins in depth and richness of color as opposed to carlack68's clarity in bringing out the color..

Its fascinating.. it seems some waxes sealants work at certain light intensities.. Bright sunny days, carlack68 beats the NXT hands down... on normal not too sunny days? NXT offers depth and richness that carlack 68 doesn't give as easily.. Its a bright sealant for bright light conditions..

Blue Apollo IV
May 11th, 2011, 06:57 AM
thanks for review on Carlack ffboy. I actually have never heard of the brand before. I'll have to check it out - not that I'm planning on switching from Meguiars. Just sometimes like to read up on different things.

ffboy
May 13th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Well, you may (or will) like the brightness carlack/klasse gives.. Its been a couple of weeks since i applied it, its been a mix of sun and rain, so its a good test for this supposedly superior sealant vs. the OTC meguiars nxt 2.0. On the other car i have, i used the AIO+collinite 845 combo. Observation? well, after the strong rains, etc., the beading on the hood was almost gone. I know beading doesn't necessarily mean protection though. On our Bmw, i used the carlack/klasse twins and after the initial brightness, its been toned down a bit. The look is still bright, but not as awesome as before. Just today, i ultimate quik waxed the bmw, and back comes the depth and richness.. Using a Quick detailer does restores a bit of the slickness..After a while away from meguiars and then returning to them, i realize just how good meguiars is itself.

My realizations? no matter how fantastic the claims of a particular product is, you will have to use a QD or Spray wax in between.

I have no doubts you'll like the klasse/carlack 68 on your car.. trust me.. however, its tricky to use, it can be a pain to get off, so while the results may be a bit better the effort may not be worth it. With the NXT 2.0, less brightness and mirror like reflections but its close with a bit more rich candy like gloss and depth plus its way way way easier to use.

You can try it if you feel like it, but if you don't try it now or in the future don't worry. You're not really missing out that much in my opinion.

ffboy
May 13th, 2011, 02:29 AM
One combo i would use some time in the future is the NXT+hitech yellow wax combo. I've tried hi-tech yellow wax, i find it silly that this wax is absolutely easy to use.

Marc08EX
May 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I think that the wax that gives the best gloss/reflection/shine is still NXT 2.0. Ultimate Wax doesn't give me as good of a shine as NXT 2.0. It's still good but not good enough. UW has other advantages but not in the shine department.

jfelbab
May 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I think that the wax that gives the best gloss/reflection/shine is still NXT 2.0. Ultimate Wax doesn't give me as good of a shine as NXT 2.0. It's still good but not good enough. UW has other advantages but not in the shine department.

I agree.

ffboy
May 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM

I'm really surprised that some of you find NXT 2.0 better in the shine department. for me, Its always been "if its newer, its shinier" when it comes to car waxes. But i don't think i'll be trying it out any time soon or any other wax since i still have a lot (carlack twins, NXt 2.0, collinite) left. I do think that the ultimate quik wax has given me a hint on the gloss the new ultimate wax will give me. UQW seems to give a darker (deeper?) shine than the NXT.

I've seen the new quick tips video on ultimate wax.. Really seems to go very thin and almost clear.

Marc08EX
May 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm really surprised that some of you find NXT 2.0 better in the shine department. for me, Its always been "if its newer, its shinier" when it comes to car waxes. But i don't think i'll be trying it out any time soon or any other wax since i still have a lot (carlack twins, NXt 2.0, collinite) left. I do think that the ultimate quik wax has given me a hint on the gloss the new ultimate wax will give me. UQW seems to give a darker (deeper?) shine than the NXT.

I've seen the new quick tips video on ultimate wax.. Really seems to go very thin and almost clear.

That's what I thought as well... The newer the wax, the better it will be. I guess UW can't have the best of everything... Don't get me wrong... It's still a great wax because of it's hydrophobic technology and it repels water pretty well. This might have been achieved at the expense of the shine it gives.

ffboy
May 30th, 2011, 01:09 AM
If the ultimate wax gives better depth even at the expense of bright gloss, i'd still consider ultimate wax my winner (if i get my hands on it!). I am surprised with the mixed reviews i read about UW, while the NXT2.0 seems to have more consistently positive reviews. Well, mostly due to the ease of use is supposed to give but instead is a bit tricky to use..

For me, the best (in terms of satisfaction in applying, gloss, depth, and beading) has to be 476s.. I didn't find it that hard to use. I also like the way it feels on application but its not really what i would say easy to use..

Alfisti
May 30th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I really like the new UW. I applied it to my wife's car, which is black. Polished it first with HD Uno. I have the paste wax version and no streaking issues. Very easy to use and looks spectacular. Displays more depth, clarity and wetness than NXT. It's more carnauba-like than NXT but different again from a straight carnauba.

jezz12
Oct 10th, 2011, 05:22 AM
since i'm using nxt liquid & GC liquid..my vote goes to them...

robert2011
Oct 15th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Before #20 & #26...Now UP & Nxt (2 coats) top with #16.

Slicked
Oct 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I haven't used all Meguiars waxes so i can't vote but NXT/M21 2.0 is pretty hard to beat for gloss and reflection.

Gold Class is more about deepening the colour intensity.

mikl78apkle
Oct 18th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I hope Mike Phillips replys. I wonder what he uses on his car

http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/huang1.jpg
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/huang2.jpg
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/huang3.jpg

umi000
Oct 18th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I hope Mike Phillips replys. I wonder what he uses on his car
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/huang3.jpg

Probably Pinnacle Souveran or Wolfgang Fuzion, given where he now works ;)

Focus RS
Oct 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM
It doesn't matter to me which wax has the best gloss and reflection as #26, gold class carnuba plus, NXT and ultimate wax all look fantastic in their own right, assuming the surface has been properly prepared. At this level, it just doesn't matter. Since I like to detail my car every 3 to 4 weeks, I like to have a range of different waxes to enjoy. Sometimes I want to use carnuba, sometimes synthetic. I think Ultimate Wax has superseded NXT, but I couldn't live without gold class and #26 in the cabinet. Ultimate wash and wax combined with #26 will give you a superb result too.

Meticulous-Detail
Dec 5th, 2011, 05:19 AM
If the ultimate wax gives better depth even at the expense of bright gloss, i'd still consider ultimate wax my winner (if i get my hands on it!). I am surprised with the mixed reviews i read about UW, while the NXT2.0 seems to have more consistently positive reviews. Well, mostly due to the ease of use is supposed to give but instead is a bit tricky to use..

For me, the best (in terms of satisfaction in applying, gloss, depth, and beading) has to be 476s.. I didn't find it that hard to use. I also like the way it feels on application but its not really what i would say easy to use..

I have used 476s on the last few cars I did with great results. As far as application, I took a cheap 35$ wax spreader and converted to accept hook and look pads by removing the foam backing plate and applying velcro to the plastic backing plate. Now I can use 6 or 5 inch pads and the machine is tiny, light weight and goes up to 3500 rpms. I take some 476s and apply a dime size to 2 sections of the pad and then apply to 1 panel. Works great! Nice even coats, don't kill your hands and don't get 476's all over your hands either.

Haven't tried any of the NXT waxes yet, but just finished a bottle of #26. Been using a combo of # 6 cleaner wax and then topping it with 476s.

ffboy
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM
try the nxt 2.0, I'm sure you'll like it. It goes on easily enough, i guess much easier than 476s. With 476s and the 845, it is recommended by the manufacturer not to apply it to the entire car then buffing off. Unlike the nxt, you can do the entire car then buff of after it has hazed sufficiently. And in my eyes nxt gives a deeper darker look which goes well with m07 show car glaze. I have a black car, and that combo is killer. I've tried paint cleaners from other manufacturers, and regardless of whether there will be compatibility issues, it helps out with the shine anyway.

buda
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
They say that "perception is reality."

However, if you want an objective analysis of what product produces the greatest reflective shine send me a personal email to: buda@detailplus.com and I will send you a copy of the Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants & Waxes which compared 25 paint sealants and waxes that were submitted by detailers from all over the USA and Canada.

What the study tested was:

a. Percentage increase in reflective shine before and after application using a German-made Glossometer which is engineered to measure reflective shine off a surface.

b. Percentage decrease in shine after 12 washings

c. Resistence to salt water corrosion, the most destructive of enviromental contaminants on a paint finish

Please indicate your name; company, address and email address and one will be sent to you FREE of charge.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Meticulous-Detail
Dec 31st, 2011, 05:13 AM
try the nxt 2.0, I'm sure you'll like it. It goes on easily enough, i guess much easier than 476s. With 476s and the 845, it is recommended by the manufacturer not to apply it to the entire car then buffing off. Unlike the nxt, you can do the entire car then buff of after it has hazed sufficiently. And in my eyes nxt gives a deeper darker look which goes well with m07 show car glaze. I have a black car, and that combo is killer. I've tried paint cleaners from other manufacturers, and regardless of whether there will be compatibility issues, it helps out with the shine anyway.

I am sure NXT 2.0 is a great wax, but the reason I use 476s is protection, durability and longevity. 476s last 6 months + and still gives a nice warm glow and shine.

Meticulous-Detail
Dec 31st, 2011, 05:46 AM

However, if you want an objective analysis of what product produces the greatest reflective shine send me a personal email to: buda@detailplus.com and I will send you a copy of the Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants & Waxes which compared 25 paint sealants and waxes that were submitted by detailers from all over the USA and Canada.

a. Percentage increase in reflective shine before and after application using a German-made Glossometer which is engineered to measure reflective shine off a surface.

c. Resistence to salt water corrosion, the most destructive of enviromental contaminants on a paint finish

Please indicate your name; company, address and email address and one will be sent to you FREE of charge.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Email sent

ffboy
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I am sure NXT 2.0 is a great wax, but the reason I use 476s is protection, durability and longevity. 476s last 6 months + and still gives a nice warm glow and shine.

I agree, it does give a nice warm glow, but it also has a bright shine itself. In fact, it seems to give a brighter gloss compared to NXT 2.0, yes it seems to give better durability than nxt, it is however a bit tougher to use. But then, using it regulatrly isn't that needed so ease of use may not be a big issue with 476s since it is durable. Maybe 915 is worth a shot, since it is said to offer even more depth.

ffboy
Jan 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM

Regards
Bud Abraham

Perception is reality? i guess i agree with that, since many companies claim this and that, then after a while for some reason most end up with the same kind of visual appeal and durability.

polaris
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Cleaner wax should get a mention on here use it on my to older cars 4 times a year they don't look perfect but they look pretty nice and is amazingly easy to use and seems to hide and fill scratches and swirls. It is a good way to do a quick wax with great result. Usually a product i use for a quick detail on customer cars.

Meticulous-Detail
Jan 2nd, 2012, 01:23 AM
Cleaner wax should get a mention on here use it on my to older cars 4 times a year they don't look perfect but they look pretty nice and is amazingly easy to use and seems to hide and fill scratches and swirls. It is a good way to do a quick wax with great result. Usually a product i use for a quick detail on customer cars.

+1

I use #6 for my wash n wax pkge but I also mix in a little 476s on the pad. If cleaner wax didn't stain trim and lasted a little bit longer it would really hard to beat.

umi000
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:47 AM
+1

I use #6 for my wash n wax pkge but I also mix in a little 476s on the pad. If cleaner wax didn't stain trim and lasted a little bit longer it would really hard to beat.

I've found KAIO to be a fantastic chemical cleaner, which doesn't stain trim - at least in my experience - and it leaves behind an acrylic sealant that serves as a good base for another sealant or wax.

ffboy
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
I've found KAIO to be a fantastic chemical cleaner, which doesn't stain trim - at least in my experience - and it leaves behind an acrylic sealant that serves as a good base for another sealant or wax.

true, with that product used on an alrady clean looking paint, i always find some grime on the applicator after working it in. I'm surprised to see a good amount of dirt/contaminants after using it, it does leave a nice shiny surface after. Then apply the long life sealant after, and you get more shine even right after removal of the haze. And i use it on glass, metal and plastic surfaces with no issues whatsoever.

ffboy
May 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM
If not for the tempermental nature of Klasse/Carlack 68, which is more associated with the long life sealant/sealant glaze, I would say this is the sealant to have. It gives incredible reflections and brightness to the paint. I do find it appealing even if it's a bit tempermental, because as you buff off the residue, you can already see the shiny paint beneath it. And as it cures for 8-12 hours, it still improves as well as the slickness of the paint. HOwever, I found that it doesn't really last 6 months, I guess no wax/sealant does and it is dependednt on the climate and pollutants in the air and where i live it really bad.

Now this is only my opinion and experience. There are other sealants out there that can offer similar shine and durability, but with better ease of use.

buda
May 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
If not for the tempermental nature of Klasse/Carlack 68, which is more associated with the long life sealant/sealant glaze, I would say this is the sealant to have. It gives incredible reflections and brightness to the paint. I do find it appealing even if it's a bit tempermental, because as you buff off the residue, you can already see the shiny paint beneath it. And as it cures for 8-12 hours, it still improves as well as the slickness of the paint. HOwever, I found that it doesn't really last 6 months, I guess no wax/sealant does and it is dependednt on the climate and pollutants in the air and where i live it really bad.

Now this is only my opinion and experience. There are other sealants out there that can offer similar shine and durability, but with better ease of use.

For the record, there is no magic here in relation to waxes or paint sealants. Here are a few facts:

a. Products that leave a high shine are typically not very durable.
b. Products that are durable often do not leave as high a shine as a less durable product.
c. Produces that are hard to apply and remove are typically more durable and less shiny.
d. Products that are resistent to soaps and shampoos are usually more durable and less shiny.

A chemist can formulate a wax or paint sealant product to do whatever they want it to do by just adjusting the ingredients. They chemist is at the mercy of the sales department. If they want a shiny product then it will not be as durable. If they want a durable product it will not be the shiniest coin in the coin purse.

Regards
Bud Abraham

ffboy
May 31st, 2012, 01:21 AM
For the record, there is no magic here in relation to waxes or paint sealants. Here are a few facts:

a. Products that leave a high shine are typically not very durable.
b. Products that are durable often do not leave as high a shine as a less durable product.
c. Produces that are hard to apply and remove are typically more durable and less shiny.
d. Products that are resistent to soaps and shampoos are usually more durable and less shiny.

A chemist can formulate a wax or paint sealant product to do whatever they want it to do by just adjusting the ingredients. They chemist is at the mercy of the sales department. If they want a shiny product then it will not be as durable. If they want a durable product it will not be the shiniest coin in the coin purse.

Regards
Bud Abraham

I'm afraid so...Much like ultra-high end waxes (the real expensive carnaubas) seem to give unreal shine on car shows, but durability is a bit suspect, almost strictly for show car purposes. Anything outside it may dramatically shorten or change the shine quality of the paint. But it's a good thing that many waxes provide more good enough shine with durability. It's hard to judge what best shine is.. people have different standards or interpretationsof what kind of shine they want. Again personally, i like the shine given by carlack 68/klasse sealant, I like the glassy type of shine it gives, to say that it is the best of all would be a bit inaccurate. It does look a bit flat on certain angles. light intensities or at certain times of the day. But the protection while not up to the 6 month or more as promised, is more than good enough for me.

The point with the carlack/klasse to me isn't the shine, but the promised months of protection that seems or is too good to be true. Much like water beading being used as a basis of wax protection/presence, even carlack loses its beading within a month of application which isn't at all bad.

I guess we can't or shouldn't ask or expect too much from waxes/sealants. It's really down to proper maintenance steps to keep our cars looking like it just rolled out of the showroom.

buda
May 31st, 2012, 05:06 AM
I'm afraid so...Much like ultra-high end waxes (the real expensive carnaubas) seem to give unreal shine on car shows, but durability is a bit suspect, almost strictly for show car purposes. Anything outside it may dramatically shorten or change the shine quality of the paint. But it's a good thing that many waxes provide more good enough shine with durability. It's hard to judge what best shine is.. people have different standards or interpretationsof what kind of shine they want. Again personally, i like the shine given by carlack 68/klasse sealant, I like the glassy type of shine it gives, to say that it is the best of all would be a bit inaccurate. It does look a bit flat on certain angles. light intensities or at certain times of the day. But the protection while not up to the 6 month or more as promised, is more than good enough for me.

The point with the carlack/klasse to me isn't the shine, but the promised months of protection that seems or is too good to be true. Much like water beading being used as a basis of wax protection/presence, even carlack loses its beading within a month of application which isn't at all bad.

I guess we can't or shouldn't ask or expect too much from waxes/sealants. It's really down to proper maintenance steps to keep our cars looking like it just rolled out of the showroom.

The only way to determine the reflective shine of a product before and after application is to use a Glossometer. The detail chemical companies; the paint manufacturers; the auto manufacturers all have them, as well as a few professional detailers.

You can talk all you want about shine, but the only objective way is to measure the reflective shine with a Glossometer and they are very expensive.

It is a known FACT, that carnuaba wax is not as durable as synthetic carnuaba wax (microcrystaline). That is the wax manufactured in the laboratory.

It is also a known FACT that waxes do not last as long as paint sealants mainly due to the type of silicones used in sealants vs those used in waxes.

The problem is that many suppliers do not want to deal in FACTS, only marketing hype.

Just some well intentioned thoughts.

Bud Abraham

ffboy
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Another advantage of sealants today (well, most of them) is the ease of application and removal. Sadly, i won't be able to get my hands on any glossometer or any high tech software/gadgets used by high end pro-detailers. I can only rely on my own eyes/impression on how shiny or how good the paint looks...

I do appreciate your thoughts, it's definitely something to keep in mind regarding all these sealants/waxes out there. There are so many choices, it can be a bit intimidating and confusing to many..