PDA

View Full Version : Offbeat question!

Plainbob1
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:36 AM
Hello Everyone, I'm new to posting here, been lurking awhile and have founds some good adice in the many threads here.

I do have a question that I have not seen addresed here (if it was I would appreciate some direction on where that was), I have an enclosed trailer with the typical aluminum sheet siding.
What is the best way to clean this. It is covered with what appears to be a black coating. I don't think this is anodized and it does not appear to be typical paint. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob.;)

Mike Phillips
Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
Welcome to Meguiar's Online PlainBob1 :welcome

Aluminum with a black coating.... hmmmm..... sure sounds like anodizing to me.

Questions: If you take a white piece of cloth and rub the finish using a paint cleaner, or a cleaner wax, do you pull lots of black color easily?

Can you take a digital picture?

Mike

Plainbob1
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response!

I don't believe it is anodized because it is only black on one side. Nothing comes off when it is rubbed with a rag. I have removed some decal residue with acetone and it did not lift the black or affect the surface. It does react as if it were anodized but I have never seen it colored on only one side. I also tried cleaning it up with some cleaner wax and it still looks kind of cloudy.

I'll take a couple of pictures tonight and post them.

Thanks,
Bob.:db:

Plainbob1
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:01 AM
I have included a picture of my trailer. This is a close up and should show what the finish looks like.
Thanks, Bob

gb387
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:14 AM
I have seen lots of aluminum with one side coated mostly white but I would think they have all colors... not to sure what it is exactly. Do you think its a powder coat of some kind? The stuff that I have seen has been more a matte/flat color no real gloss to it.

Plainbob1
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
I had thought it might be powder coated but not sure.
I know this material is supplied to the trailer builder already coated, I have found evidence of a plastic sheeting that is put on to protect it during fabrication then pulled off.

The surface doesn't feel like anodize either, that usually has a vey nice silky feeling to it. Also anodize will fade this hasn't.

It may indeed be powder coated!
Thanks for your input!
Bob.:wall:

gb387
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Plainbob1
I had thought it might be powder coated but not sure.
I know this material is supplied to the trailer builder already coated, I have found evidence of a plastic sheeting that is put on to protect it during fabrication then pulled off.

The surface doesn't feel like anodize either, that usually has a vey nice silky feeling to it. Also anodize will fade this hasn't.

It may indeed be powder coated!
Thanks for your input!
Bob.:wall:

If no one can answer the question here, just might try calling the trailer manufacture.

Tim Lingor
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
Hey,

If the surface feels quite smooth, and is quite hard (as in it will not scratch too easily), then I think you may have Powder Coat. If that is the case, I am surprised that a good cleaner wax does not help. Try Meguiar's ColorX in a hidden area. I am wondering if something like the ColorX which is more of chemical cleaner may help.

Please keep us posted!

Tim

Plainbob1
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
I have tried a couple of cleaner waxes on it and nothing seems to touch it. This is some tough stuff! I will pick up some Color X and give it a try.
I would like to get this trailer looking as good as my truck, been using Meguiars on it since new (10 years old now). This thing still looks like new. Been using Meguiars since I found out about it in the late 60's and use it on everything, even my snowblower.

thanks man!
Bob.

Mike Phillips
Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Hi Bob,

It's starting to sound like powder coating to me also. From my limited experience, powder coating doesn't take well to polishing.

Here's your picture,

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/811trailer.jpg

I took the liberty of uploading it into your gallery and then inserting it here. In the future, if you want to show a picture, it's really quite simple to do but you need to upload it into your gallery. I have the Attach File option turned off because the idea is to force people to learn how to upload pictures into their gallery. Take my word for it, in the long run it's the way to go and I'm in this for the long run and I always hope our members are also!

Here's some tutorials on how to upload pictures...

How to upload pictures

Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=505)

The above tutorial is in this forum, Forum Technical Help Desk (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=43) and there are a couple of other tutorial in there also...

Plainbob1
Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:31 AM
Mike,
I'm going to the manufacturer to get the low down on the finish.
If it is powder coated there probably won't be much that I can do with it. I'll clean it up best I can and wax it anyway.

Thanks also for the info on uploading pictures, will do from now on!

Bob.:bigups