PDA

View Full Version : Body Solvent question

mh68
Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Has anyone that has used Body Solvent gotten good results from it? I've used it three times and it won't remove bugs or tar and that's the reason I bought it. I ended up having to use another foam bug and tar remover. I was hoping it would work since it can be bought in bulk but I haven't had any luck with it.

Mike Harris

Alex7938
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM
You'll notice no-one replies if something doesnt work:confused:

I'm yet to find a use for this:rolleyes:

mh68
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM
You'll notice no-one replies if something doesnt work:confused:

I'm yet to find a use for this:rolleyes:

I noticed that so I'm guessing that no one has either tried it or it just doesn't work period. So I'm stuck with a gal of something that doesn't work.

Mike

Murr1525
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM
It certainly seems to be a rare product, at least for consumers.

Incidently, how did you apply it?

mh68
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM
It certainly seems to be a rare product, at least for consumers.

Incidently, how did you apply it?

You spray it on and let it soak then the bugs/tar is supposed to wipe right off. But, it doesn't work.

Mike

Tom Weed
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I use it, it's not that strong like a spray on wipe off product. You have spray it on and let it sit a while. If I am washing a car, I will spray the areas and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, come back and wash it.

Tom

mh68
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I use it, it's not that strong like a spray on wipe off product. You have spray it on and let it sit a while. If I am washing a car, I will spray the areas and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, come back and wash it.

Tom

I've sprayed, let it set for 15 minutes and reapplied and it still wouldn't hardly take anything off.

Mike

Tom Weed
Mar 12th, 2007, 10:03 AM
For bugs, you might be better suited using APC and letting it sit for a few minutes, then washing. I have some Tar remover from PRO called POWER-SOL that's very strong and great for tar. I kind of have to pic and choose in applications on what to use.

Tom

Alex7938
Mar 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I noticed that so I'm guessing that no one has either tried it or it just doesn't work period. So I'm stuck with a gal of something that doesn't work.

Mike

We could start the 'International wasted money on Body Solvent and are stuck with a gallon club'

I even spent the extra on the matching spray bottle and chem sprayer

Mister B
Mar 13th, 2007, 05:37 AM
I've had good results with the Body Solvent on tar. I spray it on and let it soak in for at least 15 to 20 minutes and the tar wipes right off the paint. I've found the key is to letting it soak for a while. It does not work on bugs though. The Body Solvent works best at removing petroleum based products. That is my experience.

mh68
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
We could start the 'International wasted money on Body Solvent and are stuck with a gallon club'

I even spent the extra on the matching spray bottle and chem sprayer

Same here. Sounds like an idea!:rofl:

Mike

mh68
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I've had good results with the Body Solvent on tar. I spray it on and let it soak in for at least 15 to 20 minutes and the tar wipes right off the paint. I've found the key is to letting it soak for a while. It does not work on bugs though. The Body Solvent works best at removing petroleum based products. That is my experience.

I haven't had any luck with tar either.

Mike

mh68
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Any of you guys want to buy a new unopened gallon of Body Solvent? I have an extra (my order was doubled when it got shipped) and a new bottle/sprayer I'll sell for $25 + shipping.

Mike

Hemin8r
Mar 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I pretty much do the same thing. Before I wash the car I spray the whole lower section of the car & let it sit while I clean the engine. By the time I get to washing the car the solvent has sat long enough to easily remove any tar.

Tom

Tom Weed
Mar 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
You spray it on and let it soak then the bugs/tar is supposed to wipe right off. But, it doesn't work.

Mike

Mike, you could always call Meguiars customer care and tell them you are not satisfied with the product, they may be able to help you out in one form or another since I think they have a satisfaction guarantee.

Tom

fromthecoast
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I think that it's primary use is for petroleum based things like tar and road grime not bugs. I would imagine that this stuff works excellent in engine bays, wheel wheels, and the undercarriage. I've never found anything that works well on bugs other than a mesh covered sponge (bug sponge) which I usually use with just soap and water. I'm looking forward to using this on the lower panels of my truck to cut the grime.

TH0001
Mar 20th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I find to be rather useless but it smells damn good!!!!

audioguy99
Mar 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Body Solvent
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/2BodySolvent_small1.jpg (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2BodySolvent.jpg) Meguiar's Body Solvent changes the traditional method of removing tar, road grime, gum and other petroleum based substances. Instead of applying and scrubbing, its VOC compliant formula can now be sprayed on the surface, allowed to soak, penetrate and break down the contaminant, then wiped clean with ease

I've found that it works very well for its intended purposes and even some unintended. Bugs, according to the description and as I understand it, is not one of them.

As a detailer I find it very useful to have a variety of products on hand for any situation that may arise. Even at that, however, I don't go through a gallon of Body Solvent nearly as quickly as other products. I could see it taking years to use up just on personal vehicles.

If you really want to sell it to someone, you might consider that ADS sells a gallon and sprayer for around $23.50.

Jonathan

Mayur
Mar 20th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Does Body Solvent strip wax?

fromthecoast
Mar 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Does Body Solvent strip wax?

I was wondering the same thing since it removes petroleum based products. Since it doesn't remove bugs it seems like it specifically formulated for road grime. I'm hoping that it doesn't.

Mayur
Mar 20th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing since it removes petroleum based products. Since it doesn't remove bugs it seems like it specifically formulated for road grime. I'm hoping that it doesn't.
Me too because I want to try some of this stuff out. Would make a great spray to remove crud from the underbody prior to wash.

fromthecoast
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I've got some coming in on Thursday that I will try out on a friends car Friday. I'll drop a line on here once I have used it.

mh68
Mar 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
From what I understand, it does strip wax off.

Mike

Mayur
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
From what I understand, it does strip wax off.

Mike
Blasted! Thanks for the reply though.