PDA

View Full Version : Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!

Tillmanator
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!! (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16053)

Hi Folks,

Oh, please help me. I just came back from a two day trip from Miami to Orlando and back. It must be bug season because there are more bugs on my car than I've ever had in my entire life! It's awful. I want to cry. (I'm a girl, not a guy... so don't think anything weird.....)

I couldn't even see through the glass so I used some glass wipes. I can't get the bugs off. It's like they're cement! Since it is so hard to get it off the windows, I'm afraid to wash it now for fear that I"m going to chip off my paint from the hardened bugs.

I know Meg's makes a bug and tar remover. Is this at all damaging to paint? If I use it, should I use an extra large dose of it? I have more bugs than you can imagine. The pony on my grill looks like a horse-shaped, multi-winged bug it's so covered. Do I let it soak in for a while? Can I use my regular microfiber wash mitt or something more heavy duty? Does it take off wax... should I be prepared to wax again after I remove these bugs?

It's Sunday night now and I'm too tired to wash tonight. I will be washing on Monday after work. Please help me with this bug problem. My car is so so ugly right now I can hardly stand to drive it.

Thanks in advance!

Newport Viper
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM
easy fix.

wet dryer sheets any brand.

come back here and rave about it......;)

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genvipdis&Number=523278&Forum=All_Forums&Words=dryer%20sheets&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=522280&Search=true#Post523278

Jeepster04
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
Rain-x is some awesome stuff to use on the windshield! Ive never had problems getting bugs of any type off my windshield with rainx I use the orange windshield washers stuff, not the stuff you need to wipe on ever so often. I believe the orange stuff is also a bug wash too. I never use it unless its raining though so it doesnt get on my paint and dry. Its untelling what that **** would do to paint.

Anyway, I usually just get down and rub with my wash mitt until they are gone. It can take along time to get them all off too. Wash the car making sure to keep the front wet the entire time to sofen up the bugs, then rub away. It wouldnt be a bad idea to use DC1+ a wax on the front atleast since you would probably rub all the wax off. :xyxthumbs

Its also best to keep a good coat of wax on it to help remove the bugs... :bigups

grover
Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:41 AM
Welcome to lovebug season in Florida! I just went to Orlando from here in Tampa over the weekend. I just detailed my car yesterday morning so it would look good going to my nephew's birthday party. It got covered in lovebugs, I'm so ticked. I saw a white mustang on the highway that had turned black from all the bugs.

Anyways, I am going to clean them off by washing again, then using the claybar on the front and hood (including windshied), then top it off with ColorX. If the claybar misses anything hopefully the ColorX will finish cleaning it up while adding the wax protection.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT--- don't let the bugs sit too long before cleaning them off, they can eat through your clearcoat!

Lydia
Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Also, VERY IMPORTANT--- don't let the bugs sit too long before cleaning them off, they can eat through your clearcoat!

They don't literally EAT it though. A friend's co-worker thought the bugs actually eat the paint. lol

All joking aside, like grover said, you need to get them of ASAP because their guts will eat right through the paint.

About how to get them off, I have heard to use a dryer sheet too, but I've never tried it. It works for me to just soak the vehicle in water and then get them off with DC car wash (and water of course).

I was wondering about dryer sheets....is there any way they could harm paint? The only reason I haven't used them yet is because I'm worried they will mess the paint up.

Bronco4me
Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM
Yep, take a few sheets of Bounce dipped in water and start wiping the bugs away. They disolve really fast! party:

pcfxer
Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Meguiar's APC and cheese cloth. Claybar works well to get the left overs, if any.

Tom Weed
Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
I've had great luck with wetting the surface, using some APC and ADS sells these bug sponges that work great, I've not had any issues with bugs since using those.

Tom

Jeepster04
Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Im kinda confused, do you all rub the dryer sheet on the paint?

SD DIESEL
Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
For the windows I have the best luck with Meguiar's detailer line glass cleaner concentrate. It will remove just about anything. After a couple of uses it will put rainx to same.:eek:

SVT Lightning
Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
I read somewhere just to take a big towel or a bunch of smaller terry cloth towels and to soak them in car-wash solution and just lay them across the windshield and bug splattered painted areas. Let them sit for a good 1/2 hour. The dry bug bits will re-hydrate and come right off. Sounds alot safer than scrubbing. I would think some bug bits would scratch paint.

Zet
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
I would also soak them like SVT suggests, then rinse as many off with the hose as possible, as to not wipe around in the mess with the wash mitt. Haven't tried dryer sheets though..

Tillmanator
Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. I washed tonight using a combination of your ideas.

1. Rinsed

2. Laid GC soaked towels over windsheild, hood and grill.

3. Re-soaked outside of towel when it started to look less soggy. (It's hot down here in Miami and the towel was drying fast.)

4. Washed gently with a wash mitt several times, rinsing the bug bodies out of the mitt every few swipes. There were a LOT of bugs!

5. Clayed the remainder of what I didn't want to rub so hard at and then re-waxed those areas.

My husband would not let me rub any dryer sheets over the paint. My car looks lovely again though it took a few hours for the whole ordeal. It was worth it.

Thanks again everyone!

rascal
Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Glad you got them removed. The previous owner of my car didn't remove the bugs on the bumper and look what it did to the paint.:eek: This car was a tow behind on a motorhome, but fromt he pattern on the bumper, it was bug juice all the way with a few rock chips too.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/rascalszx2/MeshGrillupclose.jpg

I'm going to have to repaint the front bumper. The bugs juices actually "ate" away on the clear coat and pitted it serverly. :mad:

Newport Viper
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Im kinda confused, do you all rub the dryer sheet on the paint?

Wet

Wipe on

Wipe off

Wash

Cassman
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Two weeks ago, I drove my family to and from Disney (I live in Illinois). Like you, I had the bug problem. Thankfully, I had put two coats of NXT on just before we left. Even leaving the lovebug guts on the paint for the week, they came off pretty easily, leaving no marring with just soaking and wiping. Maybe I was just lucky. Those bugs are annoying and nasty!

Mike Phillips
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I read somewhere just to take a big towel or a bunch of smaller terry cloth towels and to soak them in car-wash solution and just lay them across the windshield and bug splattered painted areas. Let them sit for a good 1/2 hour. The dry bug bits will re-hydrate and come right off. Sounds alot safer than scrubbing. I would think some bug bits would scratch paint.

Hmm... where did could you have read this? :D Check out the second page of this thread...

Bugs Bugs and more Bugs (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7932)

This tip was given to me by a forum member who attended one of our Saturday Detailing classes, I can't remember his name but I think he's a friend of Buellwinkle?

If you have dried on bug splatter, typically on the front of your car where they impact, and you want to loosen and remove the splatter without having to scrub the area with force as so not to instill any scratches into your finish, what you need to do is to soften or re-liquefy the dried bug guts.

Here is the sugggestion...

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag.jpg

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag2.jpg

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag3.jpg

Another variation of this would be to apply some Meguiar's Bug and Tar Remover to the wet wash rag before applying it to the dried bug splatter.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2BugTarRemover.jpg

After a few minutes have passed give the area a gentle wipe-off and the bug splatter should remove easily. Then either wash the car as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetTowel1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetTowel2.jpg

Allow the wet towel to sit for a short period of time and then remove the towel and wash as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

:D :D :D

SVT Lightning
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hmm... where did could you have read this? :D Check out the second page of this thread...

Bugs Bugs and more Bugs (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7932)

:D :D :D

Ha! I KNEW I had to have read it here. Though I haven't tried it, I thought what a logical, safe for the paint idea. And cheap too!!!!

RamAirV1
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
The easiest method is to get the bugs off as soon as possible with a good quick detailer like NXT Speed Detailer or Last Touch. If I drove in love bug country I would carry a bottle in my car along with some Supreme Shine Microfiber towels!

The longer you let them sit the harder they are to remove! Detailing clay has worked very well for me for stubborn bug remains, with no scratches.

Best way to prevent bugs from sticking IMHO is to use #21 on the front bumper/grille area and maintain it with Last Touch quick detailer, either in the spray foam or liquid.

RamAirV1

duncanonyou21
Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:30 AM
you can also try the mr clean erase pads, thats what i use they will take the bugs off and any scruffs or abrasions not down to the primer

J. A. Michaels
Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Ipersonally have'nt tried the fabric softener to remove bugs. However, I passed this tip on to a friend of mine, he tried it and it worked great. Iwatched him do it and it was 1,2,3 there gone.

AutoNova
May 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM
easy fix.

wet dryer sheets any brand.

come back here and rave about it......;)

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genvipdis&Number=523278&Forum=All_Forums&Words=dryer%20sheets&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=522280&Search=true#Post523278

I tried this today and yes I am raving about it. You get a nice little lather from the sheets and it takes them bugs right off! Now I am wondering about all the other uses.

IWantaTurbo
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Dryer sheets - I never would have thought of it. In the past, I've always used a pressure washer.

ebk1114
Aug 16th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I live in Florida too and the bugs that I hate the most are the lovebugs. When those things come out and if you have a decent ride, you don't want to be driving then unless you're ready to wash and wax everytime you come home. I've used all kinds of stuff, but I did find something that works, www.lovebugwipes.com (http://www.lovebugwipes.com). Used it for the lovebugs, but it works great for all bugs in getting them off the front and keeping them from sticking next time. Not trying to diss Meguiar's but you gotta use what works.

Golden
Oct 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
A little late, but I have also had luck with the soaking method. I always do this at dusk so the sun does not dry the towel.

You Florida folks think you have it bad? Try summertime in Michigan's Upper Peninsula!

sudsbyhubbs
Oct 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I recently tried the dryer sheet and it really works great. I was impressed.

J. A. Michaels
Oct 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
It is a neat little trick. I used it on my sister-in-laws car. Presto they were gone. She was completely stunned by that trick.

hondamtrco4life
Oct 27th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I know a lot of you are raving about the dryer sheet method but isn't that a little rough for the surface of the car? I mean I know you're getting the sheets wet before you rub the surface but still it "feels" kind of rough to be rubbing it against the painted surface. Just a thought...

sdprius858
Oct 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Tried the dryer sheet method after a round trip from San Diego to San Francisco through the CA Central Valley. They worked very well.:woot2

J. A. Michaels
Oct 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well you still have to wash the affected area, and re wax it. I have not seen any long term damage.