PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer?

lancerplayer
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I was wondering how many of you guys use pressure washers to wash your car? I've always used a normal garden hose, but I recently saw a video on the "world's best car cleaner" and I noticed he used a pressure washer. Would it be too harsh on wax? What are your thoughts?

gb387
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I use it if there is alot of dirt on the vehicle then follow up with a hand wash.

bernard78
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I don't mind using it on the wheelwells but not so good on the wax. I think. As I notice while at car wash centre using the pressure washer usually causes my wax to be clean off. But I think you can select the type of spray pattern that are not so powerful one. Don't go full blast on the paint.

TripleDES
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I don't have one yet, but I plan to get a pressure washer and add a DI system to it. I think it's important to have an adjustable nozzle so you don't wash off the wax.

Tom Weed
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:28 AM
I used to hand wash my vehicles, but bought a DI water systems that needs regulated, so I use my electric power washer with it and just turn the pressure down a little, works great and have never had a problem with it. It's also great for wheels, wheel wells and tires.

Tom

Tom Claessens
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I use them only on really dirty wheels and wheel wells but since APC is such a lovely product, I don't use the press. washer at all.

On paint, I think it has too much force and actually is able to push dirt in the paint and thus scratching the finish.

Jeepster04
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I only use one if Ive been offroad in mud. Ive got to do the under body and everything so it would take awhile with just a normal water hose. I DO NOT use it on the entire Jeep. Just the fender wells, rims, and some of the sides depending on how much mud was slung up on the sides. :coolgleam

Detaillab
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I use one, but I have the pressure really low.

Jeepster04
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM
What do you all mean by you turn the pressure down. Do you all use electric ones or something? I have a troy built and I cannot do that. Its pure 2,450 psi of paint ripping power. I have different ends I can use but thats about it. :xyxthumbs

TripleDES
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I'm considering the Karcher 1750psi electric model. It has an adjustable nozzle that allows me to reduce the pressure.

PaBlkBrd
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I use one, but only to clean my Dayton wire wheels. Never on my vehicles painted surfaces

Tom Weed
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
TrippleDES,
I have the Karcher 1750 electric model, it does work well, and you can adjust the pressure with the wand, but, the first one I had, wouldn't' shut off just after the one year warranty on it ran out. Only way to get it fixed was to do it yourself or pay more than the things worth, I was told it could be one of two switches inside that at least one of them was kind of pricey. I was in need of one, so I trashed that one and bought another, 6 months later it did the exact same thing as the first one, only this time it fell under the replacement warranty and they sent me another unit just like mine that was refurbished and you just have to send your broken one back, no charge. So, I'm now on my 3rd unit in 2 years and I only use it on the occasional weekends mostly when I am either washing our vehicles or detailing someone else's car.

Tom

PaBlkBrd
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'm considering the Karcher 1750psi electric model. It has an adjustable nozzle that allows me to reduce the pressure.

Thats the same one I have, a nice unit :xyxthumbs

Tom Weed
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I used to hand wash my vehicles, but bought a DI water systems that needs regulated, so I use my electric power washer with it and just turn the pressure down a little, works great and have never had a problem with it. It's also great for wheels, wheel wells and tires.

Tom

I should correct this statement from earlier, when I said I've never had a problem with it, meaning harming the paint, it works great with the DI system, but as I just mentioned in my previous post, I'm on my 3rd Karcher in 2 years.

Tom

TripleDES
Nov 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
TrippleDES,
I have the Karcher 1750 electric model, it does work well, and you can adjust the pressure with the wand, but, the first one I had, wouldn't' shut off just after the one year warranty on it ran out. Only way to get it fixed was to do it yourself or pay more than the things worth, I was told it could be one of two switches inside that at least one of them was kind of pricey. I was in need of one, so I trashed that one and bought another, 6 months later it did the exact same thing as the first one, only this time it fell under the replacement warranty and they sent me another unit just like mine that was refurbished and you just have to send your broken one back, no charge. So, I'm now on my 3rd unit in 2 years and I only use it on the occasional weekends mostly when I am either washing our vehicles or detailing someone else's car.

Tom

I should correct this statement from earlier, when I said I've never had a problem with it, meaning harming the paint, it works great with the DI system, but as I just mentioned in my previous post, I'm on my 3rd Karcher in 2 years.

Tom

It sounds like an extended warranty is a good idea for these consumer model Karchers then. I'll pick mine up at Sears with the 2 year warranty.

Black Bart
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:36 AM
I bought one several years ago but rarely use it. By the time I hook up the hose to it and the electric I can have my car already washed. If you use it you still need to wash by hand the pressure washer will not get it clean.
I find it is more useful for cleaning the garage floor and the siding on the house than using it for the car.

Tom Weed
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I bought one several years ago but rarely use it. By the time I hook up the hose to it and the electric I can have my car already washed. If you use it you still need to wash by hand the pressure washer will not get it clean.
I find it is more useful for cleaning the garage floor and the siding on the house than using it for the car.

I takes me less than a minute to hook it up with quick connects to the hose and I have an electric outlet right next to the hose in the garage. Yes, you still need to use soap and hand wash it, I wouldn't' think of trying blast away the dirt with just the sprayer. It regulates the water pressure so you use less water, my DI system needs regulated so it works perfect and for wheels, tires and especially wheel wells and under body it can't be beat. I spray the wheel wells with APC, hit it with the Karcher, and then squirt them with Hyper Dressing 3:1, no scrubbing whatsoever and this is the result:
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/510/DSCN0707-1.jpg

Sergei
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Now that is a detail job! Just washing and waxing is not good enough. You have to do the wheels, tires and WHEEL WELLS! Along with door jams and engine. To me it doesn't look right and it isn't a detail worth over looking.

2003zinc4.6
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I use one off and on. Sometimes I feel that some dust and dirt is still on the car when i wash with just a hose. My pressure washer is also very weak and you can adjust the end to spray light or a full on jet of stream.

PS. I also saw 'the world's greatest detailer video' and I think the guy is kind of a joke. He waxed with his hands! Cmon, waxing with your hands???? Wiping on clean clearcoat with your figer will haze it pretty easily. I wouldn't trust him with my stang even for his 6month billion dollar jungle wa:db: x

TripleDES
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks Tom. I purchased the Karcher 1750psi model K3.92 and used it to wash my driveway, BBQ grill and my Integra. Soon I'll be purchasing the CR Spotless to comliment the Karcher.

MotorcycleDetailing
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Only on trail bikes and farm atv's

Trev

lancerplayer
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I washed my car with a Cub Cadet electric pressure washer today. I do not know the model number or the psi output of water, but I used it on my whole car. On the wheels/tires it worked very well. Same with under the wheel wells. However, on the paint it was a different story. Even though I sprayed the car 1-2 feet away to lessen the impact, it was no use. It was too powerful. It stripped the wax right off :wall:

I am now only using the pressure washer on the wheels/tires.

Vincent
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I use garden hose with an adjustable noozle, never use a high pressure washer. Somehow more or less it would demage the paint work for sure....

Robert the Car Cleaner
Nov 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I have a car cleaning business and only use the pressure washer when cleaning a muddy vehicle. I feel it is overkill using it on the typical vehicle, a garden hose, Meguiars Car Wash Soap and a soft brush is more than adequate.

dude
Nov 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM
I use the garden hose and control the pressure hitting the car with my finger...I know, ancient, but good enough for me.

For the wheels and wheel wells, definitely a stronger spray to dislodge mud and dirt and stuff, but for the paintwork, I change the pressure to something like a sprinkler to remove the top layer of dust and stuff.

Then, it's the mitt and shampoo handwash show.....

SA Detailer
Nov 24th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I use a pressure washer thru out the entire wash and rinse. Saves tons of time and water.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9220/ferr360gt3mediumaq0.jpg

rascal
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I have one of those and it *****. The damn thing doesn't want to turn on half the time when you squeeze the trigger. You have to turn the "on-off" switch to get it to reactivate. My Dad purchased it instead of gas model and even he regrets it now.

TripleDES
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I have one of those and it *****. The damn thing doesn't want to turn on half the time when you squeeze the trigger. You have to turn the "on-off" switch to get it to reactivate. My Dad purchased it instead of gas model and even he regrets it now.

Yes, I've read the dependability issues. I still bought it...along with the replacement warranty from Sears so if it does decide to break down on me, I can just get it exchanged.

kellyinkc
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I have been debating getting one. If it is really dirty I go to the car wash.
Then head home and hand wash it. Works for me.
The expense and storage I am wrestling with.

the3dwizard
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I have the Karcher 3.96 M that I got at Costco. I use is all the time. The hoses and detergent bottle fit inside the unit. I use it to rinse off the car. Then apply the detergent for hand washing. The unit is really great for this. I can set it to more or less foam the detergent. Then the final rinse. I use it on full power when rinsing but I keep the end of the hose at least 12 - 18" away.

Tom Weed
Nov 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I was at Big Lots today, buying a new telescopic creeper seat for $25.00, which I thought was a good deal, but then I saw a Karcher 3.86 for $99.00 which also seemed like a good deal.

As has been mentioned previously, spraying your car with a pressure washer can be bad news if you hold it too close. I keep mine at least 3 feet away from the paint unless I am cleaning underneath or in the wheel wells. On the gas units that are more powerful, I'm not sure you can adjust the pressure, but on the smaller electric models, you can just turn them down to where water comes out very gently. Dependability seems to be the issues with these units though as I had mentioned previously, I am on my 3rd unit in 2 years, but the last one was a full replacement due to it breaking with in one year warranty.

Tom

Ryan L.
Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Anythoughts on putting a pressure washer nozzle onto a regular hose with a 3/4 pipe?? My dad upgraded the pipe to 3/4 inch and I have plenty of pressure put I want the water pattern that most pressure washer's produce?

Would this even work?

Jeepster04
Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Anythoughts on putting a pressure washer nozzle onto a regular hose with a 3/4 pipe?? My dad upgraded the pipe to 3/4 inch and I have plenty of pressure put I want the water pattern that most pressure washer's produce?

Would this even work?

The household pressure probably wouldnt be enough to do anything..

gorin002
Dec 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
at gas sation we have old one

butkelbut
Dec 5th, 2006, 10:20 PM
You are banned!

Tim

hispeed
Dec 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I've bought two Karcher Electrics in three years before I worked out this routine:
I just take it back to Sam's Club yearly, prior to it's warranty expiration date, and trade it out for a new one.
If I didn't have a couple of attachments that won't work on anything else, I'd throw it in the trash.
Normally, I would feel guilty for this borderline scam. But with Karcher & WalMart, I'll make an exception.

TripleDES
Dec 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I just found the Karcher 3.96 @ Costco. Too bad I already purchased the 3.92 from Sears! :mad:

gorin002
Dec 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I just found the Karcher 3.96 @ Costco. Too bad I already purchased the 3.92 from Sears! :mad:

you know how its going today you buy something good tomorow same product is better.

hondaprelude98
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM
i have one and to me i only use it when my car is really dirty, but just a garden hose does the same trick

gorin002
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
i have one and to me i only use it when my car is really dirty, but just a garden hose does the same trick

yes me to

Ryan L.
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I have been looking at getting the Husky 1800PSI Residential power washer. It has the abilty to adjust the pressure and spray pattern right on the wand. Two tanks for detergants/cleaners and the abilty to use one, both or neither.

Do you think this a good machine? Price is $179 at Home Depot.

Would it be okay to use on the paint if the pressure is adjust down to about 1000?

TuffPoo
Mar 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM
last time i used a pressure washer it kept blowing fuses in my house and it was my neighbors funny thing is when he uses it it dont blow fuses at his house

Jeepster04
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
1000psi would be just fine.

doctorfro
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Anything over 8 lbs. of pressure on the paint can scratch the surface (albeit microscopically). You should rinse your car only with the natural fold of water, no pressure. Pressure washers are great for cleaning wheels and fender wells and other undercarriage places. And of course they are great for cleaning engines and compartments. Of course they are also invaluable in cleaning floor mats both carpeted and rubber.

George Wax
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I do not believe a pressure can scratch a paint surface on a microscopic level...please post your reference or research material to support your statement.....

George Wax
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I do not believe a pressure washer can scratch a paint surface on a microscopic level...please post your reference or research material to support your statement.....

doctorfro
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Tidy Car University. It's really not scratching the paint as much as it is the finish surface.

If you want to know about residential PWs go to Pressurewashersdirect.com

I'm still using the same PW that I bought from Northern 16 years ago. It's more industrial but it's the bomb!

MTBPATH
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
for those of you that purchased the unit from Biglots. is that a good price?
$99

JoesSHO
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Guess I don't see what the benefit is of all that hooking up, worrying about blowing paint off, etc, etc...

I've always used a garden hose- and a lot of people seem to be using a hose to wash 'afterwards' anyway- why not just use a hose in the first place?

When I'm done, in order to get my wash product to sheet off correctly, I need to use an open flow from the hose anyway...

Am I just naive? :confused:

oldmodman
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
I had to vote "YES", but I must say that it is used only in wheel wells and on very greasy underbody areas. NEVER on tires, paint, or under the hood.

However they are very useful on horse trailers to remove the "droppings".

alfa_164s
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I always use pressure washer and it is very usefull like previously said, to clean carpet ful of salt but also engine bay without getting it too wet.

MWAUTOPRO
Jan 15th, 2008, 06:57 PM
We always use a pressure washer for washing cars, but we never turn ours up anywhere near its full pressure. It’s a lot easier to control water out of a pressure washer then it is out of a hose.

I think the debate on your car's safety is debatable either way, if you pre-soak and pressure wash a car rather then rinse your car with a hose, wouldn’t you reduce the amount of loose contaminants that have the potential to scratch your car during your washing?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://meguiarsonline.com/forums/<o:p></o:p>

Silverado12
Jan 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I've used to use it to clean out the fender wells, but after experiencing the insane cleaning power of APC+ scrubbed in with a fender well brush, it isn't even worth the time to hook it up. Plus, APC+ seems to get it cleaner. With that said, a pressure washer is still a great tool to have for cleaning floor mats, cleaning the underbody of the car, etc.

As far as using it on the paint, I would never take the chance on any color but white. I've used it before on white truck's and it worked fine, but I believe the wax protection was sacrificed and I wouldn't be surprised to see some fine scratching had it been done on a dark car.

I think the debate on your car's safety is debatable either way, if you pre-soak and pressure wash a car rather then rinse your car with a hose, wouldn’t you reduce the amount of loose contaminants that have the potential to scratch your car during your washing?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://meguiarsonline.com/forums/<o:p></o:p>

Rinsing the car down thoroughly with a solid jet of water coming from a pressurized nozzle removes most if not all loose contaminents from the finish without the trouble (or potential risk) of pulling out the pressure washer. Using a quality car wash soap and mitt during washing eliminates any other risk of scratching. I'm still too leary about using a pressure washer on a clear coat; the machines are simply too powerful, even on a low RPM setting. Even if they don't truly damage the finish, a soft coat of wax could easily be removed under such pressure. Just my opinion.

Nappers
Jan 31st, 2008, 08:07 PM
older thread, but considered buying one, not just for cars but for our walkways and other machinery around the house or blasting the ick off of our house.

Aaron

Tom Weed
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I just used up my third electric Karcher pressure washer in 4 years, needless to say, I don't have anything good to say about them! Has anyone had good luck with any electric models other than Karcher?

tom

AutoNova
May 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Always used about 2500 PSI, never a problem, actually I can't imagine going a car w/o a pressure washer!

Tom Weed
May 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I got a reconditioned Campbell Hausfield 1800 PSI electric from Pressure washers direct, so far, so good!

RaskyR1
May 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've been using pressure washers to wash cars for over 18 years and I have never had any problems with paint other than some clear that peel off a newly painted panel...and that was a result of poor prep work by the Mickey Mouse body shop.

I see a lot of people that say it scratches the paint or strips the wax off, is there any evidence/proof of this? I've never noticed anything like this before but I would difinitely think twice about using one if I can see proof.

Thanks,
Rasky

TimG
Jul 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Been using PW for 10 yrs or so. I find it faster to clean my cars and also it helps to clean molds off the patio, drains, etc. Good stuff.

Tim

PuDeN
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM
I think it is good to test the pressure on our hands first. . . if you feel it's ok then use it on the body paint. But if its to harsh on your hand so it will be on your car. Just my 2 cents

b2bomber
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM
mostly for the undercarriage or wheel wells

jmitch8011
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't advise that unless your pressure washer has very little pressure because I believe just about any pressure washer can cut your skin if not careful. I know mine can but that said, i would never use it to take a shower either. I believe it's just like a buffer or any kind of equipment you use on your paint. You have to respect it at all times and use good judgement. LIke they said abover, i'm going 4 years with no problems.

Rip
Sep 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I use a Pressure washer on the tires and wheels but back up 10 feet and spray down the paint Love the great bead job

jfelbab
Oct 25th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I've use a PW for wheels, wheel wells and tires but only if they are really dirty. You do need to use a lower power unit on the tires or you could damage the sidewall. I recently ordered a PowerWasher model PW1800U and it arrived DOA. The manufacturer sent out a replacement GFI (took two weeks) so I had to repair my "NEW" PW before I could use it. Next, the tolerances were so poor that the pressure hose cross threads when you try to remove it for storage. The manufacturer said that's not a problem. As long as the hose isn't blowing off the unit it's fine. I just sent it back under under the 30 day return limit. I've read a lot of reviews and find most of the electrics are a mixed lot. Some users have good results but a large number of people have major problems with all of the consumer grade electric models. As mentioned previously, it's probably a good idea if you buy an electric consumer grade model, to buy it at a place where you can also purchase an extended warranty like Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, etc. You are more likely than not to be using that warranty as these are seeming all cheaply designed and constructed units made in China.

I have a 10 year old "Black Cat" model that still works well but the power nozzle developed a leak. I believe that company is out of business now and had a major safety recall on some of their models.

For me, I like the concept of an electric PW as I don't have to maintain another gas engine for as seldom as I use the pw. I use a PW mostly for cleaning my three deck surfaces (trex), house, and my pond, waterfall and fountains. I seldom use it on a vehicle and then only on the wheels, wells, tires and undercarriage if needed.

barry
Oct 25th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have always used a pressure washer to wash cars and wouldn't have it any other way,I just don't believe that a low psi pressure washer will scratch the paint.I always wet down the whole car first for a pre-soak,then go back wet down so much of the vehicle soap it down then rinse it off.I believe the rinse before soap will remove anything that could scratch the paint as your soaping the car.I use a 2050psi B&S I bought 3 years ago and I bet it has at least 150 or more hours on it.never found a electric pressure washer that would last more than 7 or 8 months.To me a low psi gas model will last alot longer in my experience

hoopdewagon
Jan 4th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I have two types. I have a commercial grade washer that I use for big and really dirty projects, also use a Mytee low pressure washer. I love it. Its very compact. You might want to think about investing in one. Have a great day.

redhotchevy2000
Jan 26th, 2009, 05:39 AM
i use the karcher, its great, not to worried about high pressure against the paint i dont stay right on it (probably 18-24") and i have put my hand in front of it at that distance and felt "normal pressure" as if from a garden hose.
on that note, its great on wheels, tires, fender wells, stainless steel, chrome, and grills after i spray them with APC and turn the pressure down to 1/2

Tuck91
Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
i use it for the wheel wells but never on the paint

3Fitty
Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
What do you all mean by you turn the pressure down. Do you all use electric ones or something? I have a troy built and I cannot do that. Its pure 2,450 psi of paint ripping power. I have different ends I can use but thats about it. :xyxthumbs

Yeah, I have a 1700psi Karcher (electric) but it only gets that with a specific nozzle. When you put the soap dispensing nozzle on it, the psi drops and is safe for paint.

The rub is that while it is safe for your car it really can't do anywhere NEAR what your machine can do. However, even on my model it tells you not to use it on your car with the high powered nozzle.

Marc Hufnagel
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I will use one if the vehicle is really dirty in the winter especially. Mine is 2600psi karcher gas unit. I mainly use it more in the winter when I can't get a hand wash in because of temps. Hook up to a faucet inside the garage and brave the temps long enough to spray off. Better than leaving the **** on there.

Wheels, wheel wells, etc all year long though.

allencarey
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have been useing a pw for 15 years on boats , motorhomes,autos and everykind of trailer .Like polishing ur car it takes useing it to figure it out . Except one time of tripping and blowing out a window ops no other problems . If u throw up concrete its to much pressure by the way i would not recommed trying the presure on ur hand even a small unit, can put out enough to damage ur skin ! Theres defferent wand ends ,u can turn down the pressure . Use ur kids bike to ajust the unit you have . It does save a lot of water .

rgcurtis
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
You haven't seen pressure washing until you see the Italians do it. They opened all of my doors and did the door jams. Oh, and there was no water inside the car....still can't figure out how they did it and I watched it more than once. I only use one every now and then. Good luck.

allencarey
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
I have US filter tanks on mine so i have soft water but i have to shut it down to do the door jams and so forth .I would like to see it as will

thescreensavers
Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I have a gas pressure washer that was used once lol, but I dont think I will use it on my car.

jfelbab
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
After having a lot of bad luck with electric PW's I finally struck on an 1800 psi Husky that came with a three year warranty from Home Depot. I didn't want another gasoline engine to maintain so I tried another electric.

This unit has two on-board tanks for soaps/APCs and a low, medium and high pressure mode wand. I like the fact that I can use the medium pressure to clean my wheels and fender wells with no worry of damage. The unit does a great job of foaming the vehicles using my Shampoo Plus in one tank and cleaning the tires with APC in the other.

I also like the turbo-wand for cleaning concrete and my TREK decking. So far, I really like this unit.

jfelbab
Jul 29th, 2009, 04:54 AM
3 month update on my 1800 psi Husky electric.

I still really like this electric. Granted it's only been 3 months, but that equates to power washing two large water features (1,000 gallon ponds and waterfalls), two granite fountains, the house, three decks, a limestone patio and a dozen cars. This is the best electric I've owned and so far I would buy it again.

I'll follow-up again at 6 months.

dave93761
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I've got a Gerni 100.2 pressure washer.

Here in Australia, Karchers are the biggest name over here, but they've got plastic pumps, whereas the Gerni and Bosch ranges all have aluminium pumps, much more durable.....

Mine is just the entry level pressure washer.....1450psi from memory....scored it on sale for $99AUD...more than enough to do the job, and it's got a couple of different nozzles for different water pressure, the soft one is perfect for washing & rinsing the car.......the 'hard' one is too much, would use it to clean concrete!!!

Also came with a foam gun attachment.....fill it up with cheap car wash soap.........good for a pre-rinse and surface lubrication!!

Comes with a 2 year warranty........very happy so far, easy to use, hasn't missed a beat so far.....had it around 6 months!!!

CharlesW
Nov 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM
While I have had a 6.5 HP, 2200 #, 2 GPM unit for several years, I seldom ever used it on our vehicles.
Pressure washed a deck once, a house two or three times and a boat a couple of times. Wheel wells on vehicles once or twice. Not much use for the money spent.
It hasn't moved from its corner in the garage for a year, possibly two.
In my case, it was not a good investment at all.
In the rare cases where our vehicles need pressure washing in the wheel well area, I just go to the DIY car wash.

George Wax
Dec 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I own a Karcher electric pressure washer for at least the past 3 years. I use it on stamped concrete, driveway, sidewalks, windows, porch area, barbeque grill, wheel wells, wheels, tires, to pre and rinse the paint surface. I cannot see myself without one. It really leaves the vehicles cleaner as oppose to just using the garden hose. I would venture to say a gasoline unit would only be needed if you are in need of some very deep cleaning of a surface. The electric pressure works for my needs and you use less water.

Fly Bye
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'll follow-up again at 6 months.

:bump1

jfelbab
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Ok, so I got distracted and it is now 12 months since my last update on the Husky 2000S.

Everything still works, no broken parts and it has seen a lot of use. As I mentioned I have several large water features on my property which need routine pressure washing as well as three TREK decks and a limestone patio. I find this model invaluable for car care as well and have washed over 100 cars with it.

As previously mentioned, This unit has two on-board tanks for soaps/APCs and a low, medium and high pressure mode wand. It also comes with a turbo cleaning wand and a right angle wand for cleaning hard to reach areas like fender wells and undercarriages. I like the fact that I can use the medium pressure to clean my wheels and fender wells with no worry of damage. The unit does a great job of foaming the vehicles using my Shampoo Plus in one tank and cleaning tires and fender wells with APC in the other.

Overall, this Husky is still the best electric pressure washer I've owned to date and I've owned several of the major brands. It has seen a lot of use and still looks and runs as it did when new. I like it even more now then I did at three months and would buy it again today.

Now all that said, I still think that as a group, these under $300 electric pressure washers are lacking in quality control during manufacturing. I believe they are all made in China and some come out good and others junk.

I'd suggest that if you're planning to purchase one of these consider an extended replacement warranty as well. This particular model came with a three year warranty from Home Depot but I'd not want to own one without a long warranty.

Fly Bye
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
:xyxthumbs

wgeorgio
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I own a detailing shop and car wash and we use a pressure washer for all the cleaning you just have to watch the pressure rate is at.

hacker-pschorr
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Reading through this thread I'm thinking the one I bought is slightly overkill....

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RD80770-Pressure-Washer/

RachelRoberts
Oct 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
I also have a Gerni 140.2 and can highly recommend it. Mine came with a "patio cleaner" which does a great job of cleaning the driveway. http://www.best-pressure-washer-reviews.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-pressure-washer.html

jfelbab
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:51 AM
Ok, so I got distracted (again) and it is now 27 months since my last update on the Husky 2000S.

Everything still works as before. I did have an issue with the soap tank diverter valve where the feed hose had slipped off but I was able to slip it back on with a little silicone based sealant and it is working again. The valve repair required taking the PW apart. I got to see the internal construction and it didn't overwhelm me with confidence. I'd say the pump was aluminum but the design and construction of the diverter valve looked to be junk.

On the plus side, while the pressure hose is kinking a bit it is not showing much wear, the attachment all still work and the unit doesn't leak. The only maintenance I encountered is the periodic cleaning of the water hose filter screen and lubing of the o-rings. All in all, it shows no sign of stopping any time soon. Since I don't believe this model is still available in stores, this will be my last follow-up.