PDA

View Full Version : Sure, it is funny now ...

jezroj
Dec 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM
We have all made some detailing mistakes in our life, now is the time to share one of the funniest ones you have made or have heard of someone making. Come-on Mike, I know you must have a few up your sleeve and are willing to share. How about the time your DA came unplugged just after a new load was applied to the pad and you turned around to plug it back in but forgot to turn off the DA. I was just pulled over today for having masking tape on my plates, guess I forgot to remove it after detailing the car. The officer bought the story since the car looked real shinny, but I was told that next time, I better remove the tape.

Nappers
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Beside the fact that THOUGHT I knew all about detailing a car, I bought a 1996 Nissan Hard Body extra cab brand new. I was really proud of this truck. I bought a new canopy for it with matching paint and it just looked nice.

One day I washed, did the tires, cleaned the inside very good, washed all of the windows and not a cloud in the sky, nor was there a storm going to come through according to the weather report. Just a nice hot day. I must have spent a couple of hours or more on this thing.

I sprayed the last tire with some spray on tire stuff and it looked just grand. I was done, just a couple of clouds in the sky, still sunny.. I no longer stopped spraying when the the first rain drop hit me on the head and it it poured the rest of the day. I was not a happy camper, it was white and the rain splattered dust everywhere, thus all over my truck.

My in-laws say now that I did an indian dance and made it rain, as I am Yakima Indian. LOL.

Not a PC mistake or forgot to remove tape, but I will never forget it. I miss that truck now.

L8R

Aaron

BlueZero
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I have too many to list. For some reason I always learn things the hard way. One I can think of is the reason I got hooked on Meguiar's products. I had just gotten my brand new 2004 Ford F150. It was black and perfect. Don't know how the dealer didn't swirl it but they didn't. So I went to the store and got some NXT and a few diaper cloths. Up till this point I had just used old t-shirts to remove my wax. Figured since it was such a nice truck I'd get something nicer. lol Well I first waxed the hood, waited for it to dry and starting removing with the diaper cloths. I could see that I was putting in swirls. So I tried the old t-shirt too, and that was worse. So I drove 15 mins. to the store with wax still on my hood. I bought some cheap microfibers. Went home and took the wax off my hood. I still noticed that it left swirl marks. So I went back to the store again and bought a Meguiar's Micro Fiber. And went out in the parking lot and rubbed it around to see if it was going to leave swirls. Nope, none. So I finished up my truck with the Meguiar's and it looked great.

BlueTooth
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:45 PM
was qding my truck when my dad and sis had to go to walley world and they had to be seen in my truck, so I put down the qd, adn I ran over it, due to such a rush, since it was gonna rain that day. Put a coat of #26 on my headlights and I had to go somewhere for the night... and I forgot all about it and I thought I was going blind, didnt realize the prob until my friends said what the... what did u hit with ur headlights???

Nappers
Dec 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM
was qding my truck when my dad and sis had to go to walley world and they had to be seen in my truck, so I put down the qd, adn I ran over it, due to such a rush, since it was gonna rain that day. Put a coat of #26 on my headlights and I had to go somewhere for the night... and I forgot all about it and I thought I was going blind, didnt realize the prob until my friends said what the... what did u hit with ur headlights???

That reminded me of the time I ran over a brand new bottle (+-4oz's) of Gold Class car wash (gallon I might add) after washing, I was not happy. about the same time, not associated with detailing, but ran over my Sears battery charger with my trailer, felt a bump bump then realized that it was on the fender of the trailer and it fell off. Didn't hurt the electronics, just flattened the case, the boards and electronics survived, need to pound the case straight or see if sears will sell me a new case. LOL.

Mike Phillips
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:18 PM
We have all made some detailing mistakes in our life, now is the time to share one of the funniest ones you have made or have heard of someone making.

Come-on Mike, I know you must have a few up your sleeve and are willing to share.

Me? Make a mistake? Ha ha ha ha... Don't remember any.

Now if memory serves me correctly...

wait... what were we talking about? :D

detailingnut
Dec 13th, 2006, 05:39 PM
This story isn't really a mistake as it is funny, I just finished detailing my wife's 2001 BLACK Alero, inside and out (about 4 hours) I had just finished vacuuming out the drivers side when I heard my 3 year old daughter say, look what I got, she had my foam applicator from my endurance high gloss gel, needless to say she wiped it and her hands all down the passenger side of the car !!!!!

jezroj
Dec 13th, 2006, 08:21 PM
You know, all the DC bottles look the same ... burgundy in color ... need I say anything else :eek:

Michael Stoops
Dec 13th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I had been using a pistol grip style nozzle on the hose and was just about done drying the car after a good wash. As I squatted down to dry the last wheel I somehow managed to put my weight down on said trigger sprayer. Yes, the water was still turned on. Yes, the nozzle was pointed upward. Yes, it got the dry car a bit wet.

But, in the position I was in, and the direction the nozzle was aimed, I ended up looking like I had a sudden, and rather severe, incontinence problem. :o I must say though, that since this all took place on a sweltering hot Southern California summer day, the effect was rather, ah, shall we say "refreshing".

gorin002
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:06 PM
allright allright here i go
i had a accident we replaced a fender.
and on the bumper had scatches.went to halfords
www.halfords.com
they told me to use valma
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.halfords.nl/Images/Catalog/Small/404050.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.halfords.nl/NL/Auto/Catalog/CategoryProductList.htm%3FcategoryId%3D9%26subCategoryId%3D27330&h=75&w=75&sz=2&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=3FlGfOyAp2LSxM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=71&prev=/images%3Fq%3DValma%2BPlasticolor%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN
has smal sponge and black paint.
i used it.half had fat layer some had nothing and you some ugly paint
geuss 3 times what i did ?
i used http://www.brillo.com/products/
sand pad.as you would clean pans.
got this ugly white allmost no shine bumper.
til i got bumper to black from motip.
used as wax *** thin layer wait polish off i did that in few weeks or month
was mi mistake

we know what we use not evry one
i work as service community worker for handicap community
open by qween juliana and i was this old renault 5 its van
for a woman who want me first wash it in green soap
same soap as you wash your cloth.this old renault is looks its in a good shape i bet got rust can you imagen use green soap.

Whelan
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
I'll take the first place prize. When i was about 12 me and my cousin went outside to wash his mom's Dodge Caravan, dark blue with fake wood paneling. Well she had some really stuck dirt on the lower paneling so me being brilliant got brillo, yes SOS pads. Scrubbed the dirt right off, lol. Until we dried it and a world of swirl marks popped up and man it looked bad. But good thing the paint was defective and started pealing on the hood, she got it repainted by the dealer for free, lol.

Lydia
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM
LOL y'all! I had some strange looks as I was laughing pretty hard here at work.

I've done one or two (score that is) stupid things while detailing. Back before I used all Meg's, I had some Armorall wheel cleaner, and some Armorall vinyl protectant. I was in a hurry one night and grabbed the wheel cleaner instead of the vinyl protectant. As I was cleaning off my dash I was wondering why it smelled so bad. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was, but fortunately it didn't mess up my dash. Then there was the time I forgot to put the lid on the bottle of DC Car Wash and knocked the almost full bottle over with my hose. On the plus side there was a very clean spot on my draveway, since almost all of the car wash ran out before I could set it back upright. Of course one time when I was using the PC I lifted it off the towel I was cleaning it on. I still haven't gotten all the product off of my Dad's motorcycle and the car I was working on...I still find a spot every once in a while and it's been about a month.

Ryan L.
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
Then there was the time I forgot to put the lid on the bottle of DC Car Wash and knocked the almost full bottle over with my hose. On the plus side there was a very clean spot on my draveway, since almost all of the car wash ran out before I could set it back upright.

Done that one a couple times!! Your right though, it cleans the driveway very nicely!

Hemin8r
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Well when I was about 18 I bought my first used truck. I got the truck from my cousin & he had neglected it so I decided to wash it as soon as I got it home which was around 7:00pm. Starting to get dark. I was so excited on my new truck that I couldn't stop cleaning it. I noticed that the chrome wheels had some rust so I decided to use the famous SOS pads. The next morning when I saw my wheels I wondered why they had no shine. They were all scratched up :wall: Eventually in time the scratches went away with constant polishing with actual chrome polish.

cornflake_81
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:37 PM
I saw a newer F-150 tooling down one of the main drags here in town last week gleaming from top to bottom.....except for the rear door & quarter panel where the wax had been applied, but not removed. I'm not saying that I've ever done that. But I'm not saying that I haven't. ;)

gorin002
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM
Done that one a couple times!! Your right though, it cleans the driveway very nicely!\

if that so
i can buy a cheap wheel cleaner clean mi drive way
in the summer time

Imclean
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM
This past Friday I decided to show our company delivery truck some extra attention. I decided to use a trick i heard about (not on this site) with i product i read about (not one of Meg's) and make quick work of this job. I took a non acid wheel cleaner (NON ACID = safe... right?) and put it into a pump sprayer. I was told not to let it dry on the paint so i had everything ready to take it off of the paint. One pass with the wheel cleaner, let it sit long enough to put the sprayer down and pick up the water hose. Shot it off and was amazed to see bright white under formerly grayish, brown dirt. Excited, I started to repeat the process on the rest of the truck. Almost done, and I'm proud of myself for being so clever. Right now i'm thinking i'm the king of the world and i'm siletly damning our delivery driver for allowing the truck to get this bad, Leave it to me to save the day....again. Then my boss calls to wish me a merry christmas, we talk for a few minutes and after i hang up with him, i notice the pump sprayer in my hand. Did I already spray, or was i about to spray? I looked at the truck and it wasn't wet so i must have just been about to spray... right? Do you know why they said not to let the wheel cleaner dry on the paint? This time when i started shooting off the dirt, the paint came off with it. :eek: :eek: A huge 3' x 3' section of stripped aluminum right above the cab of the truck. Who's the man now? Now that i think about it, it might not belong on this posting... it hasn't crossed over to funny.... yet.

Paul S
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Back in the early 80's I had my first harley (79 lowrider) and after spending all day cleaning and polishing I put armorall on the seat for the finishing touch. On the test ride I almost lost it at the first stop sign. Never again made that error. Paul S.

Lydia
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM
It doesn't take many times of sitting on a slick seat and almost falling off to learn that lesson. I did that to a Gold Wing I was detailing, and I rode on the back (my Dad drove). Fortunately he didn't drop it but we were both sliding around a bit. It's a good thing there is a backrest or I might have slid off the back. My Dad, the master of understatement, just said "the seats a bit slick, isn't it?" LOL

cnfowler
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
This past Friday I decided to show our company delivery truck some extra attention. I decided to use a trick i heard about (not on this site) with i product i read about (not one of Meg's) and make quick work of this job. I took a non acid wheel cleaner (NON ACID = safe... right?) and put it into a pump sprayer. I was told not to let it dry on the paint so i had everything ready to take it off of the paint. One pass with the wheel cleaner, let it sit long enough to put the sprayer down and pick up the water hose. Shot it off and was amazed to see bright white under formerly grayish, brown dirt. Excited, I started to repeat the process on the rest of the truck. Almost done, and I'm proud of myself for being so clever. Right now i'm thinking i'm the king of the world and i'm siletly damning our delivery driver for allowing the truck to get this bad, Leave it to me to save the day....again. Then my boss calls to wish me a merry christmas, we talk for a few minutes and after i hang up with him, i notice the pump sprayer in my hand. Did I already spray, or was i about to spray? I looked at the truck and it wasn't wet so i must have just been about to spray... right? Do you know why they said not to let the wheel cleaner dry on the paint? This time when i started shooting off the dirt, the paint came off with it. :eek: :eek: A huge 3' x 3' section of stripped aluminum right above the cab of the truck. Who's the man now? Now that i think about it, it might not belong on this posting... it hasn't crossed over to funny.... yet.

I think this is the winner!! I can't stop laughing. Hopefully all is well with you and your boss! :rofl:

cnfowler
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
My Dad, the master of understatement, just said "the seats a bit slick, isn't it?" LOL

Priceless!

tomstin
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM
In the past I would toss the dirty microfiber towels on the workbench. When the job was done I would scoop them all up and drop them in the washing machine. Then one day, as I removed them from the wash there were metal shavings EVERYWHERE??? Evidently there was some steel wool on the bench that I scooped up with the towels! OUCH! I ruined about $50 worth of microfiber! I now have a dedicated bucket for my dirty towels and take them out ONE AT A TIME and place them into the washing machine! Live and learn!

SonnyD
Mar 17th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Well, I've had several of the same experiences of, running over bottles, forgetting to wipe wax off a panel, and Armor alling a motorcycle seat!!!
Some of my worse were. Backing out of my garage, after full detailing my Show truck....and running over a can of SPRAY Paint!.....which exploded, and sprayed bright RED paint over my Pristine White truck on it's way to check in at World of Wheels! About 25 years ago I was finishing up detailing my Jeep CJ7. I had it in the driveway, and had, had to run to the store for something on my motorcycle. Well, I parked behind my jeep kind of at the left corner, about 4 feet back. I was running out of time to get on the road for my date that night. I put everything away, and started backing out of the drive completely forgetting about my bike! I caught the right grip with the tailight of the Jeep and down the bike went. It mostly fell in the yard, and I only ended up with a broken mirror and a couple of scuffs.
Those are two of my worse stories, but believe me in 40+ years of owning vehicles.....I could go on and on.
Regards Sonny

johnyB
Mar 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Now i cant say this happend to me ( ok it happend to me hehehe doh) but heres some not to do's. Make sure you have the arrow that shows the direction of spray on the aresal cans pointing the right way and theres not people watching you detail there car at the same time or detail in beige pants for nothing looks beter then a spray of water tht hits above the knees but below the belt.

zergling
Aug 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM
First time to ever do a hand wash of my car -- I decided to do this the morning before a local car meet. Washed the car, dried it, sprayed Hot Shine Tire Spray, drove home. Took a shower and went to the meet.

One of the guys approached me and told me that I have something sprayed on my car. I checked it, and realized that the tire shine splattered all over the car!! :angry1

I guess I misunderstood the part about "spray and leave" :rofl:

Andy M.
Aug 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Me? Make a mistake? Ha ha ha ha... Don't remember any.

Now if memory serves me correctly...

wait... what were we talking about? :D

:awman1

lokirx706
Sep 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I love microfiber... A few days prior I had been at a friends house helping him gut some rust out of his car, We had finished and were smoothing out the surface and prepping the area to be painted. I had bought the sandpaper to do the finishing work, well when we were done cleaning up I noticed a few small strips of used 800 grit paper on the floor. My trunk was already open so I tossed them in to throw out later.

Needless to say I completey forgot to throw them away. When I bought some microfiber towels a couple days later, I wasnt buying anything else.... So why bother bagging it up?? I tossed it into my trunk and drove home now ready to detail My MR2.... Heh, it seems that microfiber and sandpaper are attracted to each other, thankfully the HORRIBLE swirls occured in an obscure area, and the PC had to be brought out....

Lesson learned, keep your auto body supplies and detailing supplies VERY seperate....

Hoffmann21
Sep 15th, 2008, 04:01 AM
cleaning the carpets on a nasty, raining night. And to drive to a parking spot to see that i left my nasty dirt stains in the carpet from the mud on my shoes and pants.

sdprius858
Sep 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Washing the entire car and when going to rinse it off, the hose breaks off :furious1forcing you to come up with an "interesting way" of rinsing the soap off.

Another good one is washing the car and not having any microfibers to dry them with, forcing you to ask your neighbor for some which makes you look like a tard:thinking1

J. A. Michaels
Sep 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Long time ago, my grandfather asked me to go and buy him a tin of car wax at the local store. He said He was going to the car wash and then when I come home wax his car. So I go and buy some wax, I apply it let dry to a haze. Remove it. It was like chiseling mortar removing the wax. But I did it. His car looked great. Very reflective. Car really looked great.

One of my uncles came over and asked what was used on the car. I proudly go get the tin. It said, "Johnson's paste Wax for hard wood floors".

I have to admit no harm was done and the wax lasted a whole winter in Chicago. lol.

Poki
Sep 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I never will forget the times I can't remember!:scratchhead1

allencarey
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Just finished waxing a pickup & the owner put his coffee cup down on the hood so he could get his money out . I was bent over in front picking up my gear when it hit me . He was mad i broke his cup ! Its funny now wasnt then .

CieraSL
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Long time ago, my grandfather asked me to go and buy him a tin of car wax at the local store. He said He was going to the car wash and then when I come home wax his car. So I go and buy some wax, I apply it let dry to a haze. Remove it. It was like chiseling mortar removing the wax. But I did it. His car looked great. Very reflective. Car really looked great.

One of my uncles came over and asked what was used on the car. I proudly go get the tin. It said, "Johnson's paste Wax for hard wood floors".

I have to admit no harm was done and the wax lasted a whole winter in Chicago. lol.

That is so funny!! :doh :haha1:laughing2 :LOLOL::LOLOL:

Tekman00
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I am new to detailing, but I seem to be an expert at banging my head on the sideview mirrors when I am bent over working on the lower side panels. You would think after getting a few "C" stamped on my bald head, I would learn!

Bounty
Apr 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Had just bought some of the new DA-approved M105 for use on my C5 Corvette. Obviously the car had been lovingly cared for in the 1 1/2 years I had owned it and I wanted to take the finish to the next level. I decided on a small test spot near the rear of the vehicle on the deck for a nice flat, even working area.

Finished the proper prep and applied some M105 to the pad (non-Kevin Brown style). Began working the product when all of a sudden I hear a sound like a sander being put to wood and before I can jerk my hands back from the car I see dust explode from underneath the polisher head!!

Inspect the paint and see a huge half-moon shaped area of scuffed clearcoat. Flip the buffer over and look at the pad only to find this:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/DePingus/PadExplosion.jpg

Pad literally came apart in chunks! Went back over the area with some Ultimate Compound and a CCS Orange pad and corrected the damage but scared the sh!t out of myself thinking I had initially burned through the clear to the paint. Can smile about it now but was in one heck of a mood then...:furious1

SCBMW
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Fortunately, I just wash and detail my own cars, but I have mistaken Detailer Line ASD for Detailer Line Glass Cleaner too many times!! :confused:

The BLUES are so similar on the bottle image when you keep staring at the black car.......

PorscheGuy997
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Worst mistake...let's see...

Tried a very common "Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound" that you get in a little red tub. Enough said...

wyseilmykkar
Apr 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM
I had been using a pistol grip style nozzle on the hose and was just about done drying the car after a good wash. As I squatted down to dry the last wheel I somehow managed to put my weight down on said trigger sprayer. Yes, the water was still turned on. Yes, the nozzle was pointed upward. Yes, it got the dry car a bit wet.

But, in the position I was in, and the direction the nozzle was aimed, I ended up looking like I had a sudden, and rather severe, incontinence problem. :o I must say though, that since this all took place on a sweltering hot Southern California summer day, the effect was rather, ah, shall we say "refreshing".

Been there, done that! First I got a high pressure stream in the face. No problem, towel off and re-dry the front fenders. Move around to the rear of the truck, get it in the crotch. Shake head, re-dry rear fenders. Begin to replace the hose on the rack, receive a spray in the face again because I forgot to turn off the water first. Needless to say, I don't use a pistol grip anymore:D

dope92cc
Apr 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Last night I was helping my brother wax his truck. For some reason, I let him use my can of NXT.

He ended up dropping my applicators about 4 times before he was half way done.

My OCD couldn't take it anymore. I almost made him finish with HIS GC paste.

luckily I formulated a solution. I went to his kitchen skimmed the whole top layer and put it in a sauce bowl from chili's. So he got to keep his grit and rub it in his paint, too:chuckle1.

It's funny now but I think I'll have to take care of the cleaning/waxing, once I repaint it.

dave40co
Apr 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Been there, done that! First I got a high pressure stream in the face. No problem, towel off and re-dry the front fenders. Move around to the rear of the truck, get it in the crotch. Shake head, re-dry rear fenders. Begin to replace the hose on the rack, receive a spray in the face again because I forgot to turn off the water first. Needless to say, I don't use a pistol grip anymore:D

Been there and done that too!
I wear glasses and it seems I get more water on them than the car sometimes.
My 16 month old grandson was "helping" me one time and squirted me straight in the face. He thought it was funnier than anything he ever did. All this grandpa could do about it was pick him up and give him some loving!

john m.
Apr 26th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Been there and done that too!
I wear glasses and it seems I get more water on them than the car sometimes.
My 16 month old grandson was "helping" me one time and squirted me straight in the face. He thought it was funnier than anything he ever did. All this grandpa could do about it was pick him up and give him some loving!

Hahah I had the same sort of thing happen to me! My girlfriends family was in town visiting and wanted to take her neice and nephew swiming in my pool. I was washing my car and her little nephew came over and said he wanted to help (obviously I couldnt say no to him wanting to help :D) So I gave him the hose to spray the car down and he did.......for about 5 seconds, then the only thing that got we was me! Little guy was way to cute to be mad at though :)

StoneRaizer
Jul 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
This happened to me today while working on my Dad's car. I had just hit the wheels with some Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner and hosed them off. When I dropped the hose it landed right on the spray nozzle, sending a stream of water in the air and giving me my own personal rain cloud in the middle of a beautiful sunny morning. Just to make sure I learned my lesson, after doing another wheel I did the exact same thing! From that point on I made sure to carefully lay the hose down instead of dropping it.

JoeDirt
Jul 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I managed to apply a car full of wax at my uncle's house one morning and go inside for a drink to let the wax set up and pick up the microfibers to get ready to wipe it off. Came out and found that his lawn service hadn't properly adjusted the rotation of the sprinkler heads when they installed them. One of them missed the grass entirely....

...but it sure as heck wet down the entire driveway and my carefully hand waxed car waiting to be buffed off.

I remember saying something that my little cousin laughed at, but got in trouble for saying later that evening in front of his grandmother. :D