PDA

View Full Version : For those of us in the colder winter climates...

gb387
Dec 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
What do you do when the weather is consistantly cold your vehicle is coated with grime and washing your vehicle is a pain?

Nick Chapman
Dec 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I take it to a car wash and spray off all of the heavy gunk, then take it home, put it in the garage and wash it with QEW

gorin002
Dec 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I take it to a car wash and spray off all of the heavy gunk, then take it home, put it in the garage and wash it with QEW

as long there no snow freezing do the same wait til summer time
around april

Jeepster04
Dec 10th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I just wash it in the driveway on a warm day.. We get them kinda often.. It was 12 the other day though.. :rolleyes:

cornflake_81
Dec 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I'll bear the cold weather for a half hour or so to wash my car.

My neighbors think I'm nuts, but at least my car looks better.....

jfelbab
Dec 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I use the Touchless Laser wash when the weather is bad.

Skuz
Dec 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM
My parents have a heated garage with a drain hole. It's just another excuse to go and visit them. :)

pcfxer
Dec 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM
My Dad works at a warehouse with warm water and a heated garage. I guess I'm hooked up. When I can, I detail cars in there too.

I'll take pictures next time I'm doing some PC there.

Andy M.
Dec 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I wash with warm water and hope it doesn't freeze before I dry it.....
It's pretty rough on the hands though. lol
Andy
101Impala

Mikeyc
Dec 10th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I think you need to add another choice to your pole. I wash in the garage, but it's not heated and there's no drain. So, I wouldn't say I'm "hooked up." I use a rinseless wash soap like QEW, Optimum No Rinse, or DP 4-in-1. I get some small puddles on the floor, but not too bad.

supercharged
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:56 AM
I usually wait 'till weather breaks, then wash. Usually two-three times a months during winter season.

tguil
Dec 11th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Coin-op followed by QEW.

Tom :cool:

Tim Lingor
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:09 AM
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/IMG_7365_Large_.JPG

Enough said! :D :D :D

Tim

sneek
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:57 AM
:P you will know its too cold when your hand gets stuck to the wand!

I have tried QEW, and I can't say I liked it. It marred my paint :(, but i think my car was really dirty.

Tungsten
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I'll usually wash it in the driveway unless the temperature is below freezing. At that point I'll either wait for a warmer day or I'll consider using the coin-op wash down the street and wand off the worst of it.

Tungsten
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/IMG_7365_Large_.JPG

Enough said! :D :D :D

Tim

That's hard core. :bow I'd be afraid that the water run off would make a sheet of ice on the concrete overnight. :laughing

cmd
Dec 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM
washing your investment should never be a pain. i wear shorts in my shop in maine all year round for me its not a problem. :D :D :D

DaGonz
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM
We can bring our vehicles into the firehouse to wash them after 4:00 PM on weekdays (when the office is closed) and on night tours and weekends at the discretion of the officer in charge.

Seeing that I am the OIC, it isn't a problem! :xyxthumbs :D

Tim Lingor
Dec 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
That's hard core. :bow I'd be afraid that the water run off would make a sheet of ice on the concrete overnight. :laughing

It sure keeps the various people trying to sell things away for a day or two...or at least until the ice melts! :D :D :D

Tim

kellyinkc
Dec 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
LOL Tim!!

BlueZero
Dec 11th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Last year I used the touchless wash all winter. This year I'm going to try to brave the cold and use the coin-op. My garage isn't heated but is usually above freezing (think they forgot to insulate between the heated and unheated). I can't wash in the garage because it's a single stall and way too small, and no hose connect or drain. This past Friday I used the touchless because I was in a hurry. Got home and opened the tailgate, loaded stuff in, went to close it and it wouldn't latch because it was froze. :wall:

indigo s10
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I go to the coin operated wash(it's a block away) to get off road grime. If I get a day over 55 degrees, I'll hand wash and quick wax.

gorin002
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:51 AM
to i went to gas staion was 2 degrees above
smal freez on the roof

went to the village to wash a car for handicap woman
was okay.
was that cold

fmiller
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I go to the coin wash early in the morning (usually Sunday at about 6 AM) There is never anyone else there. I fill a pail 1/2 full and add the Crystal wash soap and I'm off. I always use rinse and soak the car as well as get most of the **** off the car. I then wash as normal and the rinse again. I usually dry the car also. Have been doing this for years now. Works for me cuz I love a clean car. Merry Christmas all!

gorin002
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM
merry christmas to you to fmiller
and the rest

mshu7
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
If the temp. is 40* or higher, I'll wash by hand.

JG_Detailing
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I usually take the car to the car wash and spray the salt and dirt off. But if it's not that cold out I'll use Meguiar's plush mop on the car.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/products/product_X1190.jpg

gorin002
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I usually take the car to the car wash and spray the salt and dirt off. But if it's not that cold out I'll use Meguiar's plush mop on the car.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/products/product_X1190.jpg

this mop you use with bucket of soap

JRauCDM
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:41 AM
I'm pretty fortunate as well... My work is 1/2 mile away, and I have a heated garage at work with a nice car wash bay. All 3 of our vehicles stay pristine, all winter long. If my car is clean once it's home, and it's bad weather or if the roads are gross, I will walk to work rather than get my ride dirty. I have even walked in 0 degree weather to avoid gettin' my '91 Cadillac Brougham dirty. Wife thinks I'm insane!:D

I can admit this, 'cause you all will understand!:rofl:

JRau in central Iowa

gorin002
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM
JRauCDM

mi mom think i have a illness or double insane
in the summer time with meguir products she maby call docktor:LOLOL:

93civic_sedan
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM
If it isn't really dirty I get in the car take it to one of the self serve coin washes. Get my quick detailer out, spray the whole car, spray the wheel cleaner on, rinse with nothing but their water. Go for a spirited drive, pull over after a few miles, get a few clean microfibers outta the bag in the trunk, dry what is left, wipe the wheels off, dress the tires. Good to go. Takes about 15-20 mins normally. Works like a charm man.

RamAirV1
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm pretty fortunate as well... My work is 1/2 mile away, and I have a heated garage at work with a nice car wash bay. All 3 of our vehicles stay pristine, all winter long. If my car is clean once it's home, and it's bad weather or if the roads are gross, I will walk to work rather than get my ride dirty. I have even walked in 0 degree weather to avoid gettin' my '91 Cadillac Brougham dirty. Wife thinks I'm insane!:D

I can admit this, 'cause you all will understand!:rofl:

JRau in central Iowa

Hmmmm, seems perfectly normal to me!

When it's in the 20s or colder, in the heated garage with drain and warm water, in T-shirt and shorts. 30 degree temps (if above freezing) is borderline, almost too cold to wash outside, but the garage is too warm. When it's in the 40s, I prefer to wash outside. Tim has me beat outside though. I don't do ice!

Anyone who washes their car below freezing outside should get some Yaktrax. They fit over any kind of shoe or boot and give amazing traction, even on glare ice! They are available at sporting good stores and other outdoors type stores. They have a website too.

RamAirV1

kokketiel
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I normally take our cars to the touchless when it gets too cold. Too cold for me is 50 and below :). When I do wash outside, I'll fill the wash and rinse buckets with hot water. That way, it's not too bad.

I have been looking at installing an outside hot/cold spigot or sillcock valve, which will probably allow me to wash the car more when it's colder. Anyone have any recommendations with outside hot/cold water?

gb387
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
I have been looking at installing an outside hot/cold spigot or sillcock valve, which will probably allow me to wash the car more when it's colder. Anyone have any recommendations with outside hot/cold water?

I have been thinking of adding a hot water faucet in my garage wouldn't be a problem for me as I have a bathroom sink on the inside of my house exactly where the garage cold water faucet is and where I want the hot water faucet, anyway.....

I do know Menards carries a solid brass two handle(one blue, cold and one read, hot) single faucet version for about $60, seems like a very high quality unit I prefer the two handle style outside.
EDIT: found a similar photo:

http://www.keidel.com/pix/pvf/valve-woodford-200x96.jpg

Here is another one that looks like a good idea, I have never seen this one in the store.
Here is one option:

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/archives/hot-and-cold-outdoor-faucet.jpg

Most of us don't spend a lot of time thinking about our outdoor faucets. As long as you turn them on and water comes out, we're satisfied. But what if you could get warm or hot water? You could wash the dog outside, rinse off muddy feet, or fill the kiddy pool without giving the young-uns hypothermia. Yes, all this is possible with Moen's hot- and cold-water delivering faucet. It looks a lot like a normal spigot, but the single handle has some added features: push or pull to adjust the water flow and twist to select the temperature. The faucet automatically mixes some cold into the hot to prevent scalding. In addition, a frost-free interior cartridge keeps it from freezing in the winter. The outdoor faucet is available in 8" or 12" lengths, and it will cost you $64 or $68 respectively.

Mayur
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Id love a hot water faucet or something but Id have no way of getting a hot water line anywhere near the driveway. I could always of course get something where I can hook up my hose to my kitchen sink and get a couple of garden hoses and run it around the house to the driveway lol.

gorin002
Dec 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM
i have cold water wel in summer time is is`t cold

RamAirV1
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I have been thinking of adding a hot water faucet in my garage wouldn't be a problem for me as I have a bathroom sink on the inside of my house exactly where the garage cold water faucet is and where I want the hot water faucet, anyway.....

I do know Menards carries a solid brass two handle(one blue, cold and one read, hot) single faucet version for about $60, seems like a very high quality unit I prefer the two handle style outside.
EDIT: found a similar photo:

http://www.keidel.com/pix/pvf/valve-woodford-200x96.jpg

Here is another one that looks like a good idea, I have never seen this one in the store.
Here is one option:

That's what I have in the garage. Good choice, you will like it!

RamAirV1

hondaprelude98
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:29 PM
well lets see i live in IL and just washed my car on x-mas and it was about 40 outside and the water was cold and i still washed my car becuase i like to keep it clean......but when it snows i will take it to the auto car wash or wait for a sunny day to come

mh68
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:59 PM
If the temp. is 40* or higher, I'll wash by hand.

Same here, my wife thinks I'm nuts for doing it. :D If it's any colder than that for an extended period of time, I go to the touchless.

Mike

onnfire
Jan 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM
I live in texas,so this isnt really a big problem. However, when it gets cold,i find that i wash my car less than i would like to.

kokketiel
Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Here is one option:

I've been looking at the Moen (single handle hot/cold faucet), but last I looked, it seemed out of stock almost everywhere, with production starting some time early this year. It looks like a very nice faucet.

DieselMDX
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I use a no rinse type product called optimum no rinse and shine

BlueZero
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I use a no rinse type product called optimum no rinse and shine

I just got a gallon. I'm going to try it out this weekend. :xyxthumbs

DieselMDX
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I just got a gallon. I'm going to try it out this weekend. :xyxthumbs

you are going to love it, awesome stuff!

chiquae07
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM
i will ususally if under 40* go to the touchless, or if there is clean snow around, use the freshly fallen snow to clean the car, somewhat. basically throw the snow at the salt, and then rub off with a glove on my hand or something. doesnt look the best, but it works.

fmiller
Feb 11th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Just got back from using the pressure washer ($2.00/2 minutes) to get the salt off my car. I'd love to use the foam brush, but we all know what will happen. My question is. Does anyone out there know of or have a brush that I could purchase in Canada that will NOT scratch the paint? I'll wait for the sun to come up and go over the car with a good chamois and Micro towels to remove the haze. Looking forward to any and replies.

jfelbab
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Don't know if there are any around in Canada but Meg's makes two body brushes that are excellent. They don't scratch at all. I have these Meg's brushes and I love them. You should see what short work they make of smashed, baked-on bugs. Here are pics of the brushes.

Versa-Angle Body Brushes
http://meguiars.com/estore/productthumbs/product_X1030.jpghttp://meguiars.com/estore/productthumbs/product_X1040.jpg

And if you have a SUV I'd also highly recommend one of these.

Ultra-Plush Wash Mop
http://meguiars.com/estore/productthumbs/product_X1190.jpg

jmakado
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Up here in where I live it's way too cold to go wash my car in the driveway. So I go to the coin-op and just spray it down. I think I'm going to get a Versa Angle brush and try using that at the car wash. Unfortunatly they don't allow buckets so I'll have to use the soap that comes out of the gun I guess. I doubt it has much lubricity but not many other options really.

RZ Autodetailing
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:49 PM
ONR optimum no rinse....this stuff is awesome .

fmiller
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Jim and the rest. Looks like exactly what I need. As for no buckets in the coin wash. It's the same here but 5 AM. no one else is even around so I take a bucket of warm water with my soap in it and just use rinse taking my time. However when it this cold out you have to work fast. Thanks again

STG
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM
I guess Jim didn't hear the news. Meguiar's stopped making those brushes.

BigBoy
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM
We have a nifty, WAY too pricey car wash in St. Louis that uses high pressure water (Which is a slight pain if you're a ragtop owner) but it also has underbody high pressure to clean off the road salt I'm pretty impressed by the amount of gunk it cleans off of my vehicles. It even does a goo job on my rims. There are a couple of manual drive throughs close to me, but the amount of quarters I have to feed these things versus the total lack of time for the money is depressing. I'll go back through this post again and think about the car mops and other goodies to hopefully give me some options.

mh68
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM
We have a nifty, WAY too pricey car wash in St. Louis that uses high pressure water (Which is a slight pain if you're a ragtop owner) but it also has underbody high pressure to clean off the road salt I'm pretty impressed by the amount of gunk it cleans off of my vehicles. It even does a goo job on my rims. There are a couple of manual drive throughs close to me, but the amount of quarters I have to feed these things versus the total lack of time for the money is depressing. I'll go back through this post again and think about the car mops and other goodies to hopefully give me some options.

We have a couple of those here in Sedalia too. I really like the way it cleans the undercarraige. It actually comes out pretty clean too. The one I use has a high power blower at the end that blows a lot of the water off.
Mike

sonofjesse
Feb 16th, 2007, 06:38 AM
When its cold I usually got to the spray wash, and then dry it outside the bay if its not too windy.

Or on a warm day close to 50 I'll wash it at home.

HagFan
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I also try for a day above 40 F (preferrably closer to 50) and wash 'em in the driveway. If I can't get to it in daylight I'll go to the coin/wand wash with my buckets, during an off-peak time. I don't worry too much about drying-- hit it with the spot-free rinse, drive home (fast) and finish with a Water Magnet.

Patman
Jan 10th, 2008, 02:44 AM
In the winter I get my car washed every Saturday morning at a local detail shop. For $15 they do an amazing hand wash, using only the softest wash mitts (which they wash after every use) and soft cotton towels to dry it off (also washed after every use) They also wash the underbelly of the car and inside all the door jambs. When they are done they even use a leaf blower to get excess water out of the tail lights and side mirrors!

JMBdevotee
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I usually won't wash unless it gets around 50 deg. I will however go out and spend 20 mins spraying off all the road salt once the majority of it is off the roads.

JMBdevotee
Jan 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Dupe!

pcmark
Jan 10th, 2008, 02:54 PM
We wash ours in our unheated garage, which has a drain in the floor. Unfortunately, below 20-degrees, the hose tends to freeze. I've tried space heaters in the garage and such, but we get below 0 here, so there's not much I can do in January and February!

Jeepster04
Jan 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
We no longer have winter in Kentucky so I wash it when I need to. :)

Mark2
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The apartment building has a garage which is heated and warm/cold water, drain. So it's no problem for me to wash inside there year round. But usually it's very warm there in the summer.

BTW Who answered "I don't wash it in the summer, why would I start now? " :)

Cat
Jan 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
When I bought my car in May I washed it myself and swore I would never go to the local car wash. I went out to wash it before Christmas and my water hose was frozen up. So I broke down and took it to the local hand
wash and they did a good job. So I will do that from time to time or take it to the coin wash and spray off the worst of it. I just keep counting down the days until March finally comes. Nothing better than cleaning your vehicle up unitl it shines and it stays that way for several days. I am cleaning mine up today and it is suppose to rain Sunday and snow for Monday plus Tuesday! Ugh! :eek:

Cat :x

RamAirV1
Jan 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Washed mine in the garage and not the drain is clogged big time from cinders and other road residue. And nothing is working to clear it up. :mad: Time for the Roto-Rooter!

RamAirV1

Tim Lingor
Jan 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Does this count as a cold climate? LOLOL! :D

You know it is cold when the snow starts to stick to the frozen driveway! :xyxthumbs

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/IMG_9270c_Medium_.jpg

Tim

9C1 MAN
Jan 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Im lucky i guess i have a heated garage. So washing year round is not a problem. As a mater of fact im going to wax her in about 2 hours;apply a coat of #21 sealent.

Andy M.
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM

You know it is cold when the snow starts to stick to the frozen driveway! :xyxthumbs

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/IMG_9270c_Medium_.jpg

Tim

What do your neighbors think Tim????:bow

RamAirV1
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I think his neighbors are used to it by now. I want to know how Tim keeps from slipping on the ice.:D

I just love it when car crazy detailers defy winter!

Tim is probably going to wash the boat next!:xyxthumbs

RamAirV1

Tim Lingor
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I think his neighbors are used to it by now. I want to know how Tim keeps from slipping on the ice.:D

I just love it when car crazy detailers defy winter!

Tim is probably going to wash the boat next!:xyxthumbs

RamAirV1

Yup and the truck! But I will have to wash the snow off of it first!:D:D:D

Tim

RamAirV1
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yup and the truck! But I will have to wash the snow off of it first!:D:D:D

Tim

Will the pressure washer take the snow off? I am impressed you can hold on to the pressure washer without your hands freezing.:D

RamAirV1

WrightDetail
Jan 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM
For now, run thru the touch less wash...

PLans for the new house, is heated+insulated garage with floor drains.

Tech154
Jan 13th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Its knida tough to keep your baby looking at its best during the winter time. Here in Long Island,NY we're about to get between 6-12" today, you can see how frustrating it is. Not only that, my Impala "THE BLACK PEARL" sleeps outside because I live in a apt. complex, I have zero choice and all I can do just try to keep that deep & glossy shine throughout the 12 months. Anyone with any ideas or advice, there more than welcome.Scottwax1:dp: :cool::coolgleam:laughing:DScottwax1:bigups

rhino1834
Jan 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
In the winter I try to wash the car every couple weeks but when it get in the 20s to 30s I just use quik detailer that works pretty good all my neighbors think im nuts for washing the car when there ice on every thing but thats ok

rhino1834
Jan 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Iv'e used bolth i like ultimate better what do you like?

Duff
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Tim

If I had a garage that I could pull the car into after the wash I would do this every week. But since I don't it will have to wait until it warms up a bit.

AeroCleanse
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:15 PM
What do your neighbors think Tim????:bow

They probably think...wonder if he'll wash mine if I ask :LOLOL:

Tim Lingor
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
They probably think...wonder if he'll wash mine if I ask :LOLOL:

LOL! Actually I did have about 2 ask me that question! Then I had one older lady who always sees me washing and ALWAYS tells me, it is going to rain in a sarcastic voice! I just smile and say, "Yep, and then I will have to wash it again! :) " LOLOLOL

Tim

WrightDetail
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:53 AM
[QUOTE=Tech154;189013]Its knida tough to keep your baby looking at its best during the winter time. Here in Long Island,NY we're about to get between 6-12" today, you can see how frustrating it is. Not only that, my Impala "THE BLACK PEARL" sleeps outside because I live in a apt. complex, I have zero choice and all I can do just try to keep that deep & glossy shine throughout the 12 months. Anyone with any ideas or advice, there more than welcome.Scottwax1:dp: :cool::coolgleam:laughing:DScottwax1:bigups[:idea:

:idea:

Get one of the easy pop up tents(make sure its anchored) and do on a relative mild day that can be tolerated, then detail it.
As long as apartment lease office doesnt mind....in fact they may want you to do their's - lol

ortizmro
Feb 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
We have relatively mild winters where I live (Okla) so I can wash normally every couple of weeks :)

TKDDAD
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
If I had a garage that I could pull the car into after the wash I would do this every week. But since I don't it will have to wait until it warms up a bit.

I wanna know who he gets to take his pictures for him...that person is as crazy as he is...my guess is the wife...it's what mine would do for me !! :laughing

Tim Lingor
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I wanna know who he gets to take his pictures for him...that person is as crazy as he is...my guess is the wife...it's what mine would do for me !! :laughing

LOL! Yeah...my wife took those pictures. In fact, she even helped washing the car. I felt sorry for her as she got pretty cold, but I am proud that she wanted to try and help! :spot

Tim

TKDDAD
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
LOL! Yeah...my wife took those pictures. In fact, she even helped washing the car. I felt sorry for her as she got pretty cold, but I am proud that she wanted to try and help! :spot

Tim
Sounds like the kind of life partner that every man should have....I have one like that too... :)

Andy M.
Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Sounds like the kind of life partner that every man should have....I have one like that too... :)

That makes three of us!:)

Andy

WrightDetail
Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
That makes three of us!:)

Andy

4 of us party:

ianrayburn
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese! You Yanks have no idea what cold is about. We had over 12 feet of snow & temps as low as minus 40 fahrenheit. We struggle through, go to the local "touchless" to get rid of the salt, hope the doors don't freeze & drink more Scotch. What is your problem?? - IAN

WrightDetail
Apr 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese! You Yanks have no idea what cold is about. We had over 12 feet of snow & temps as low as minus 40 fahrenheit. We struggle through, go to the local "touchless" to get rid of the salt, hope the doors don't freeze & drink more Scotch. What is your problem?? - IAN

Glad ur a cold lover :LOLOL:

Carfire
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I can sometimes wash it in a heated garage. It just depends on timing.

SkipBGrad
Oct 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I will generally wait 'til the weather breaks. This is my first winter with the Mazda and I'm not looking forward to seeing it dirty. Not sure if an automatic wash is even feasible since I lowered the car on Eibach springs. Bought the all-weather mats the other day to keep the salt off the black carpeting!

Johnson
Oct 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM
As I am reading all of these posts, They all say spraying the most of it off, Are you guys just using water to get off the most of it, or actualy using the bad soap and doing it all out.

A thing like that upsets (edited for language - Mike P.) a guy. Car wash places using bad soap. (Edited for langauge - Mike P.)

Would it be worth the money to try that no rinse stuff?

irf@n
Oct 31st, 2008, 02:24 AM
Well, I live in Turkey...

And the weather temp. is generally above 10°C, except January and February :)

acsuppa
Nov 1st, 2008, 05:02 AM
I wait until an above freezing day and at the very least, give the cars a nice hose down and flush out the wheel wells and undercarriage the best that I can. On the fare warmer days, anything close to 40 degrees, I will give it a nice "complete" wash and dry. When I just "spray down" a car to remove the heavy salt and sand, I never dry it.

Johnson
Nov 1st, 2008, 10:26 AM
So, is it better to just spray it down with water to get you by for a while, until you can use your own soap.. or should A guy just use the soap at the car wash and plan on waxing it in a couple of weeks to keep up the protection

miahjohn
Nov 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
I think you need to add another choice to your pole. I wash in the garage, but it's not heated and there's no drain. So, I wouldn't say I'm "hooked up." I use a rinseless wash soap like QEW, Optimum No Rinse, or DP 4-in-1. I get some small puddles on the floor, but not too bad.

those of us in winsconsin and minnesota.....how about those days when its -30 degrees or colder!!!???!!!

miahjohn
Nov 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
^ didnt mean to quote that...

gb387
Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
those of us in winsconsin and minnesota.....how about those days when its -30 degrees or colder!!!???!!!

You can't just wash in the driveway?

:chuckle1:chuckle1

Johnson
Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:01 AM

You better add South Dakota to that list!!

Black Bart
Nov 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have a gas furnace in my garage with a drain and lot of lights.
Washing in the winter is NO different than summer other than I run the furnace instead of the air conditioner.

sdprius858
Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Does 52 count as "colder" climate?:chuckle1

AeroCleanse
Nov 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Does 52 count as "colder" climate?:chuckle1

Only if there is a - before it :)

benhui86
Nov 27th, 2008, 01:30 AM
winter? whats that..... where i live theres only spring and summer which is just a hotter version of spring..... LOLOLOLOLOL

Golden
Dec 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I use the touchless wash near my house. That, or go to my GF's house. They have a hot water hookup in the garage.

Nappers
Dec 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I use the coin op at times, then take it home to finish it up.

If I get a break in the weather I wash it in the driveway then give it a coat of wax or two.

I love the pictures of Tim washing in the snow. Good stuff. My wife helps me a lot too! She was always laughing at me, now she helps and lets me get stuff.

Sven
Dec 18th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Weather it's cold or warm, the car should be properly washed :chuckle1

So every weekend or friday before I wash the car

If we play soccer in shorts shorts and a T-shirt during winter why don't was our car:huh1

drumdan
Dec 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It depends on the car. My beat up '99 Chevy Cavalier gets washed at a commercial wash I work at part time. The '03 Monte Carlogoes through a wash where there are few dirt roads, few brushes, and plenty of soap on the cloth.

gjohn28
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Recently used ONR for first time. Sprayed off excessive dirt/salt/grime with one minute rinse cycle at a local car wash. Mixed up 2 gallon solution of ONR and washed in my garage using one bucket with Grit Guard, 2 MF mitts and a water magnet. Worked extremely well on some moderate salt buildup on black paint. Finished off with UQD. Car looks like it was just detailed. Got to make sure you keep the wash mitt well saturated, use a Grit Guard (especially with one-bucket method) and wipe gently.

Tuck91
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have a heated garage but the only problem is the length of my truck makes it hard to get around to each side of the truck to wash it so i just have to open the garage door, carry my two buckets and the hose and then use the remote to close it. im too afraid to park it in the other spot in the garage because the refrigerator would be right next to it and sooner or later someone will ding the truck by not being careful or just simply not paying attention, maybe i will just stick out the cold and wash it outside

Bert31
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM
50 degrees or warmer, I just do a normal two bucket wash with a mitt. In the 40's and higher 30's I switch from a mitt and use a Montana Boars Hair Brush and a pole with the two bucket method and dress warm/dry: water resistant boots, lined nylon pants, nylon pullover over a sweat shirt and neoprene gloves. Mid 30's and below, the hose doesn't come out. I put the car in the non heated garage and wash with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine with the two bucket method, use the Boars Hair Brush on a pole and dress warm.

One thing that helps is that if I have just driven the car and the engine is warm, that will warm up the garage atleast ten degrees (probably more I have never measured it). Also, after getting into the washing, I often will have to take my sweat shirt off and just wear a long sleave shirt because body heat starts building up with the garage door closed. Once finished and the garage door opens; an over whelming cold comes back in the garage and the sweat shirt goes back on.

Mobey
Jan 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I go to the coin wash and get the salt off...do not touch the car with anything until I can do a proper job in the driveway

wyseilmykkar
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I bought ONR two weeks ago but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's supposed to be -10F in the next couple of days so it isn't looking much better either

Tuck91
Jan 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Winter is harsh

MyFirstES300
Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
What is this QEW?

Megafast13
Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
QEW= Quick Exterior Wash is my guess? I'm not sure though. :)

CieraSL
Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I usually wait until it gets up to around 50 or so. We don't get too terribly cold winters here in Tennessee, so I usually don't have to wait for more than 2 weeks before we get a "nice" day and I can wash my car.

ianrayburn
Mar 24th, 2009, 02:51 AM
The QEW is a major highway linking Buffalo to Toronto.

Eddie6th
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I wash it just the same.

Bert31
Dec 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
What is this QEW?

Protect All's Quick and Easy Wash. Very similar to ONR but I think ONR is a little better.

Winning Attractions
Dec 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
My name is Tonna Carlo, Winning Attractions Street Rod Customizing. I was on the Discovery Channels, Monster Garage build team 16- WEDLOCK. I have produced over 44 Best In Show Winning Customer Owned Vehicles in all these years and hav'nt attempted to keep track of their class placements. I started my life with my Mom at Lions Dragstrip and it was her and Ed Roth that gave me my start. Later I was at Barris House Of Custom when it was accross from the Stonewood Shopping Center. Then Art Sommers started me in Pinstriping when he was in LA in a small 2 car garage. I guess the rest is history. I am now working on Chuck Liddel's 4x4 Iceman Truck and Rod Karpenian of Quick Cut Sanders came over so as to get me set up with some new products and get some shots of Chucks Truck. Soon be done with the airbrushing and the tilt bed then it is heading to the SEMA event in 2010.
Well, Guess that is it for the Intro.....Thanx, Tonna:hotrod2
I wash it in my shop then out in the pouring rain then back in for the Sham N Dry. In Washington your in a constant car wash anyway.
<!-- / message -->

Fly Bye
Mar 30th, 2010, 12:21 AM
a hot water hookup in the garage.

A hot water heater can have a lot of mineral deposits, meaning the water will heavily leave water/mineral spots all over the car.

smack
May 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I cant stand to see a dirty black car so I have to wash it no matter what. But then again it dosent really get to cold in Vegas anyways.

Barry N
Oct 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM
My car goes under covers as soon as the snow flies. No washing until she hits the road in mid April/early May.

mswerb
Dec 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I suffer.
I'll hit up the coin operated pressure washing bays down the street.
They recently added a touchless automatic car wash around the corner from me as well, I might give that a try.

STRIFE
Dec 11th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Just do it!!!
washed my car when it was 5 celcius the other day....if the cold don't kill ya...it makes you stronger:D

cnfowler
Dec 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Just do it!!!
washed my car when it was 5 celcius the other day....if the cold don't kill ya...it makes you stronger:D

5 Celcius (41 Farenheit) is cold? I've washed when it was -9 celcius. I turned the driveway into a skating rink.

Colin

STRIFE
Dec 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
^ lol.... well I did wash my cars when it was 0 or 1 C a couple weeks ago....it's doesn't get that cold here....it's -9 here maybe once every 10 yrs? lol

rescuenut10
Dec 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I goto the local carwash, Just to blow off that god awful brine solution that the state of Pa. sprays on a the roads.

cnfowler
Dec 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
^ lol.... well I did wash my cars when it was 0 or 1 C a couple weeks ago....it's doesn't get that cold here....it's -9 here maybe once every 10 yrs? lol

Wow. I thought it got colder than that up there. :dunno

Colin

STRIFE
Dec 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
^....nah, Vancouver is pretty mild ......you're thinkin of Alberta, Sask, and Manitoba...they get into the double digits minuses.....too cold for me

kristina27
Dec 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I always love washing my car. Living in Kansas can prove to be difficult because of the harsh winter we have because its Kansas the weather can be very sporadic so we can have a day of 60 in the middle of a week with below freezing temps. That make it even easier to wait till the weather break to do a nice detailing on my exterior.

therdrman
Dec 19th, 2010, 05:14 PM
lol

kristina27
Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I lucked out last Thursday. Sunny and 55 only it was a bit windy so had to do a quick wash.

wifpd4
Feb 1st, 2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah, lucky here too. Zoomed up to 50, animals came out of hibernation and wife hit a skunk.

:(