PDA

View Full Version : Piano

Detaillab
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I have an upright piano from the 1920's. The finish is dull and rough. I have been putting lemon oil on it and there are small areas that have become beautiful and glossy again just from that. I cannot affort to have it refinished. What can I do to help it? Will lemon oil eventually retore the finish?

Murr1525
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Meguiars used to make some piano care products that were sold by the Fender Guitar Company, and on their website. But they are not there at the moment, but do a little searching around. I believe there was a swirl removal product and everything.

Murr1525
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Do a search there, you should see them.

pianosupplies.com

Mort Corey
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I used lemon oil (among other polishes and cleaners) on some built in oak cabinets in my home over the years. For an experiment, I did half the doors on one cabinet, first cleaned with Scotts liquid gold (or something close to that name) topped with a lemon oil polish. On the other half I first cleaned and then applied Mequiar's #7. Then #7 took a little longer to polish dry than the oil. Asked my wife, who had not observed my methods, which looked and felt better. She immediatly pointed to the side with #7....I concurred. YMMV

Mort

Larry A
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Ive used #7 on high gloss wood, it works great.

drumdan
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
I taught drums at a store that kept #9 readily available behind the counter to polish up all those high dollar Gibson Les Paul Guitars.

I use #9 on my polyuerthane lacquer dw drums, with a little #26 to seal the up a bit.

Lydia
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
I use the deep crystal system on my sister's baby grand piano. Works great.