PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable rotary and edge pad system

RZ Autodetailing
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I gotta say , i just got a porter cable rotary for x -mas and the edge pad system and love both.I got the adapter for the rotary and d/a so i can change the pads from one to the other and its great , fast , and always centered perfect.Yesterday was the first time i used a rotary in years and i think i did a really good job.My practice vehicle is my 94 nissian pickup . The rotary is so much faster at polishing than a d/a because you dont have to stay on a specific area for a long time like the d/a.Also the rotary removed much more defects at a shorter amount of time . I had a couple really bad scratches i got out and really removed the cobwebbing in a shorter time.I will post some pics shortly.

Tom Claessens
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Can't wait to see those pictures.
While the RB might seem an ideal solution, don't forget to try the d/a first as it's the least aggressive one, but I assume you already knew that one ;)

It's just that since I'm used to the RB, I tend to take it out more often but you still have to remember you're taking paint away, fast if you're not that careful. I've seen meterings of 50 microns after a detail session by inexperienced detailers (or ones that never use paint thickness gauges).

I do a reading when a customer comes for the first time just to be sure it's safe to start buffing.

Chex
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I think the only way someone with experience can achieve that, is using a constant reate cut compound applied with a wool pad @ 2500RPM or up :rofl:
or if you keep compounding and compounding and compounding the same spots.

That's why we should always follow the "use the least aggressive product to get the job done" rule

RZ Autodetailing
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry i didnt take any befores, here is my 94 pickup,purchased for 700 dollars two yrs ago.Truck has alot of rust , scratches and cc failure , but makes a great work truck.
hood shot
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/100_0950.jpg

close up
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/100_0947.jpg

full shot
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/100_0949.jpg

stealth
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Looks like Santa was good to you Rocco. Outstanding work as always no matter what you use. Happy New Year!!!

gorin002
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM
so you buy a old car bit of a good car
use meguiars walla a new car forfew bucks

ooooh RZ Autodetailing only need is a santa fit
and there you modern santa in a modern horse ^-^

RZ Autodetailing
Dec 30th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks Joe aka Stealth. Ya i had a really nice x-mas and hope for a even better new year. Hope Santa was good to you as well.Joe you should post some pics of your work on here for all of us to see.Well hope you have a great new year , may be we can meet up again some time soon. Gorin thanks for the comments , iam just having a hard time trying to figure out what you wrote .

ronniejay
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks Joe aka Stealth. Ya i had a really nice x-mas and hope for a even better new year. Hope Santa was good to you as well.Joe you should post some pics of your work on here for all of us to see.Well hope you have a great new year , may be we can meet up again some time soon. Gorin thanks for the comments , iam just having a hard time trying to figure out what you wrote .

No offense meant, but I think gorin types in Dutch and has babblefish, or something else translate to English. Is this right, gorin? It is amazing that we can talk to someone waaaaaaaay over there about detailing, and still kinda understand each other?

gorin002
Dec 30th, 2006, 12:49 PM
No offense meant, but I think gorin types in Dutch and has babblefish, or something else translate to English. Is this right, gorin? It is amazing that we can talk to someone waaaaaaaay over there about detailing, and still kinda understand each other?

if you spoke to me face to face or a phone
you thought i was a american
heart say i am
if i write i am just other foreign guy
what can i do

RZ Autodetailing
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:41 PM
i think its great that you write from another country and i appreciate the comments , i was just saying its hard for me to read it sometimes, please keep up the good work

Whelan
Jan 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
There's trees in Jersey?

just foolin, looks good, that is one hella shiny truck.

gorin002
Jan 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM
i think its great that you write from another country and i appreciate the comments , i was just saying its hard for me to read it sometimes, please keep up the good work

thank you
you keep up the good work to
we have here from manny countrys.

DetailManiac
Jan 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
if i write i am just other foreign guy
what can i do

If you're having a hard time writing in english, maybe you can use this:

Free Spell Checker (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3179)

RZ Autodetailing
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks Whelan and Gorin .. the truck does get alot of attention where ever i go...its pretty hard for me to believe that a truck with so much rust draws so many questions and comments from people.

Junebug
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
What size Edge pads did you get? and were they the new waffle ones?

RZ Autodetailing
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM
June bug the edge pads are 6 inch and i have both the waffle and regular ones. I will be gettin some 4 inch pads hopefully in the next month when they are released. I have been using the edge pads now for a couple weeks on both the rotary and p/c and have nothing but great things to say about them.For the p/c you can run it over speed 5 and not worry about the backing plate heating up and its always centered.I love the quick change from machine to machine and the thought of just flipping the pad over instead of looking for a clean one.Great time saver and the quality of the pads are great too.

Junebug
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Any difference in the waffle pads and flat ones worth mentioning? I'm looking for rotary pads only.

Sydster
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Yesterday was the first time i used a rotary in years and i think i did a really good job.My practice vehicle is my 94 nissian pickup .

Way to go RZ Autodetailing! Great job on the truck!

:showpics:

CathyG
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
so you buy a old car bit of a good car
use meguiars walla a new car forfew bucks

ooooh RZ Autodetailing only need is a santa fit
and there you modern santa in a modern horse ^-^

I think he meant: So you can buy an old car that`s still a bit of a good car, polish it with Meguiars and Wallah! you`ve got a new car for just a few bucks

:coolgleam

I think he`s suggesting that you get a Santa suit. Then you`ll be a modern Santa in a modern car? Pretty funny idea anyway :LOLOL:

RZ Autodetailing
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks Sydster...love that pic on your avatar...