PDA

View Full Version : Backing Plates Don't Grip. Any Design Changes?

oldmodman
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Hi Mike.
I bought two backing plates for the Porter Cable DA. Meguiars Part #W64DA
I had only used the first plate on two cars and noticed that it was loosing it's grip. So I got out the other one and tried it. Same problem. I thought it might be the pads so I got out a brand new 8006 and it had the same problem. But when as a last resort I tried the backing plate made by Porter Cable the old used pads gripped really tight.
Has Meguiars changed their backing plate design?
I would prefer to use the Meguiars backing plates since they are smaller but I can't keep stopping to reposition the pad back to the center of the plate all the time.
Should I send the backing plates back to you to be examined?

Mike Phillips
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Hi oldmodman,

I would appreciate it if you would send them back to Meguiar's for evaluation.

Send them to Meguiar's care of myself,

Meguiar's Inc.
C/O Mike Phillips
17991 Mitchell South
Irvine, CA 92614

Then Call Tom McDonald at 1-800-854-8073 X117 and explain what happened and that you're sending me the two defective units and they will ship you out two new replacements.

Thank you for bringing this to Meguiar's attention.

Mike

Mr.M
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I've got the same problem.......It looks like the center portion of mine melted the velcro.:(

oldmodman
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I'll pack them up and try to get them out this week.

kr4336
Jul 13th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Is there a problem with these? Getting ready (today) to order backing plate and pads and am now a little hesitant?

Mr.M
Jul 13th, 2004, 07:36 AM
kr4336 : It could be user error (it was the first time I used the backing plate).

kr4336
Jul 13th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks Manny. From the sound of Mike's reply I got the impression there was a known problem. It would be just my luck to get a defective set...

oldmodman
Aug 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Hi Mike!
I sent the two backing plates off by our highly efficient U.S. Postal Service. You should be getting them in a month or so:D
Thanks, Drew

C32 AMG
Aug 4th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Any feedback from Meguiar?

I have just ordered a backing plate and some pads from Meguiar in here, Canada. It is also my first time ordered stuffs from Meguiar. My delivery will be arrived tomorrow. I hope there will be no problem with my plate and pads.

Mike Phillips
Aug 4th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by C32 AMG
Any feedback from Meguiar?

I have just ordered a backing plate and some pads from Meguiar in here, Canada. It is also my first time ordered stuffs from Meguiar. My delivery will be arrived tomorrow. I hope there will be no problem with my plate and pads.

Luckily, problems are the exception, not the rule. If there are any problems, Meguiar's will make things right.

Mike

C32 AMG
Aug 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
Luckily, problems are the exception, not the rule. If there are any problems, Meguiar's will make things right.

Mike

This is what I call customer after-sales service. :xyxthumbs

And, this is the reason that all my detailing products are from Meguiar.

Tim Lingor
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Hey,

I have used the same Meguiar's backing plate for a long time without a problem! :xyxthumbs

Tim

DETLMAN
Aug 4th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 2hotford
Hey,

I have used the same Meguiar's backing plate for a long time without a problem! :xyxthumbs

Tim

I have to second that, I have megs pads on the da and the rotary and have no problems at all. Actually they grip so well sometimes I really have to peel the pad off of the packing plate when I am done.

C32 AMG
Aug 10th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Just want to update information regarding the backing plate (W-64DA) and the polishing pads (W7006 to W9006) which I received from Meguiar Canada last week.

No problem. The backing plate holds tight with the polishing pads very well. I have to use some moderate forces to remove the pad from the backing plate after waxing.

If there is any problems with the gripping, I believe they would be individual / exceptional cases.

Mike Phillips
Aug 10th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Hi C32 AMG,

I'm glad to hear that you were well taken care of. Also, thanks for updating us on the backing plates.

Mike

mmgrad
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Mike,

I'm having the exact same problem. I bought a backing plate from a local shop, and after working on a few panels, I no longer get good adhesion between the pad & plate.

The pad has a tendancy to shift after a few minutes of use.

The only thing I can piece together is that when the wax/cleaners reach the backing plate, it causes the pads to slip off VERY easily.

Is this suppose to happen? or am i using too much solution? I went through 3/4 of a 32oz bottle of #83 detailing 3 midsize sedans... is that excessive?

Should I be sending my pad back to Meguiars too?

Setec Astronomy
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I just had a similar problem...I am running a 7006 pad (the burgundy one) at 6 on the PC. After a few minutes, I noticed the pad didn't look right, so I stopped the machine. The backing plate foam was puckered in a couple of spots, as was the pad. I pulled the pad off, and it came off much easier than normal. I found that the velcro side of the pad and the backing plate were hot, and that (apparently the heat has damaged both the foam of the backing plate and the adhesion of the velcro pad to the cutting pad. The "car" side of the cutting pad was cool.

The heat seems to be coming from the PC unit itself, rather than friction with the car surface. This amount of heat doesn't seem excessive enough to harm the machine, but apparently it is hot enough to affect the foams/adhesives.

Suggestions?

Mike Phillips
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
I just had a similar problem...I am running a 7006 pad (the burgundy one) at 6 on the PC. After a few minutes, I noticed the pad didn't look right, so I stopped the machine. The backing plate foam was puckered in a couple of spots, as was the pad. I pulled the pad off, and it came off much easier than normal. I found that the velcro side of the pad and the backing plate were hot, and that (apparently the heat has damaged both the foam of the backing plate and the adhesion of the velcro pad to the cutting pad. The "car" side of the cutting pad was cool.

The heat seems to be coming from the PC unit itself, rather than friction with the car surface. This amount of heat doesn't seem excessive enough to harm the machine, but apparently it is hot enough to affect the foams/adhesives.

Suggestions?

Your observations are dead on. Contrary to popular believe, the PC generate heat, especially on the higher settings. You may, or may not have seen me post in other threads that Meguiar's doesn't recommend using the PC on the 6.0 setting for the reasons you are experiencing. Event the 5.0 setting over time generates enough heat and wear & tear that it will loosen the water-proof, chemical resistant adhesive from the foam pad causing the velcro to separate.

It is a problem Meguiar's is aware of and currently working on improving, but note: When you take it upon yourself to run the PC at higher speeds, Meguiar's cannot be held responsible for the negative results to the Velcro backing system, that's why Meguiar's doesn't recommend speeds over the 5.0 setting. At the same time, even though the problems are a result of pushing technology to the limits, Meguiar's believes in going above and beyond the call of duty and taking care of our customers.

I push technology to the limits all the time, that's one of the ways we learn what can, and what cannot be accomplished. But everyone needs to realize, there comes a point where a company cannot be help responsible for technology's limits.

We're working on it! :D :D :D

Mike

Setec Astronomy
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
You may, or may not have seen me post in other threads that Meguiar's doesn't recommend using the PC on the 6.0 setting for the reasons you are experiencing. Event the 5.0 setting over time generates enough heat and wear & tear that it will loosen the water-proof, chemical resistant adhesive from the foam pad causing the velcro to separate.
To be fair, Mike, the instruction manual for the G100 doesn't say that. It says, in 2 places "polisher works best on settings between 3-5". It doesn't say "we don't recommend going above 5" or "using at 5 or above may cause damage to pads or backing plates". Don't say you told me so, when you didn't. (Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not being argumentative, just making a point)

I'm not complaining that this happened, it just took me by surprise. I fully understand the technical issues with it, and I'll try to stay within the limits of the technology.

Mike Phillips
Aug 20th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
To be fair, Mike, the instruction manual for the G100 doesn't say that. It says, in 2 places "polisher works best on settings between 3-5". It doesn't say "we don't recommend going above 5" or "using at 5 or above may cause damage to pads or backing plates". Don't say you told me so, when you didn't. (Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not being argumentative, just making a point)

I'm not complaining that this happened, it just took me by surprise. I fully understand the technical issues with it, and I'll try to stay within the limits of the technology.

Hi Setec Astronomy,

I've never read the instructions for the G-100, that's my fault. I'll see that they are updated to state the recommendations. Thank You! for bringing this to my attentions. I know that this is what we tell people through our Customer Care Center, and what I tell people at the Saturday clinics.

Again, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll forward this link to the person in charge of that department.

And I don't take your post as complaining one little bit, in fact, had you not taken the time to reply to this post, the problem would have gone on longer, so again, thank you.

Mike