PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the velcro pad



SPEEDYGUN
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
The velcro just started melting on the velcro pad that is attached to the G-100. It was doing this while I was applying #83 to a car I am going to be selling. So as of now, I have 3/4 of a car covered with #83. Removing this by hand is going to be a pain in the ###.

Apparently it started melting from the heat of the DAP. I did nothing different than from the other 15 times I have used it

So now half of the velcro is now missing. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you fix it??

Sergei
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Have you ever set the g-100 to speed setting 6? What about cleaning? How do you clean the pad?

imacarnut
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
as mentioned, what speed were you running it at?

Mister B
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I don't know if this could be your problem, but I had the velcro start to delaminate on my original backing plate. I never used the G100 above speed 5, however when I first started using the G100 I let my foam pad become completely saturated with product and the product absorbed completely through the foam pad and onto the velcro backing plate. I think the combination of the chemicals in the product that had came into contact with the backing plate and the heat generated by the G100 eventually degraded the adhesive enough over time that the edges started to delaminate from the backing plate. I have since replaced my backing plate with a 5" Mirka brand backing plate that I bought from a paint and body supply store. I also now clean my pad more often so that I do not saturate my pad, and I have not had a problem since.

Whelan
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
3/4 of your car covered with 83. I hope that is not all at once? I use the G100 for a few minutes on panel, then shut it down and set it aside. It cools off pretty fast during wipe down. Occasionall I do let it cool for a few minutes while workin so as to not overheat the unit.

Also whenever I finish with a product application, I take the backing plate off, go inside and run it in the sink on hot water to get all of the soaked through wax or polish off, dry it with a paper towel, put it on the G100 and spin it to get excess off. Then I start my next application.

Tim Lingor
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hey,

It sounds like you were running the G100 on speed 6 which when used at that speed and you are bearing down on the buffer, it will literally melt the velcro from the plate. I have done that myself!

Also, as mentioned, you should be applying #83 to a section no larger than 2' x 2'. You need to work the product in fully to break down the diminishing abrasives and then wipe off that section before moving to the next.

Tim

gb387
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Also, there is no need to let #83 dry as you would a wax. Meguiars cleaners, pure polishes and cleaner/polishes(like #83) are best removed damp.