PDA

View Full Version : You and auto part stores

JG_Detailing
Feb 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Do you walk out of a auto part store empty handed? Every time I go to a store that has to do with cars I need to buy something for it. Like cleaning supplies, new mats, air freshners even decals.

J. A. Michaels
Feb 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I have sometimes waled out with nothing at all. Yhe reason being you call ahead your specific with your needs, they say they have it in stock, you go thier and they dont have the item or "I thought you meant this" Nice try c-ya. Otherwise I usually come out with something.

gb387
Feb 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
For me typically nothing at all. I don't care for Auto Parts Stores the times I have asked about Meguiars products I have found they lack knowledge in that area.

cornflake_81
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I usually just go to O'Reilly's, and since they carry Meguiar's pro line stuff, its hard to leave empty handed. I'm lucky enough to have found a store with a manager who knows a thing or two about detailing.

Murr1525
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
ADS for a reason... though Target has some great Rubbermaid car mats...

mh68
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I usually just go to O'Reilly's, and since they carry Meguiar's pro line stuff, its hard to leave empty handed. I'm lucky enough to have found a store with a manager who knows a thing or two about detailing.

That would be nice. My O'Reilly's barely carries Megs consumer line and a few NXT products!

Mike

gb387
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM
That would be nice. My O'Reilly's barely carries Megs consumer line and a few NXT products!

Mike

Same here there are only 5-6 pro line products and only a hand full of consumer line.

BlueZero
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM
My local Sherwin Williams Automotive is great. The auto parts stores around here dont carry much Meguiars. At SW I now have an account set up even. It's free, with no minimum to buy. I get stuff for a little less than ADS prices with out shipping. If they dont stock it, it only takes them a few days to get it. They even said they would stock items that I think I might be needing.

JG_Detailing
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM
The Autozone here has the new QD can, Hot Shine, QWD and Meguiar's Smooth Clay Surface.

R50 Paul
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I got a Kragen around the corner from me and it handy when I run out of quick detailer or soap.

Michael Stoops
Feb 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I chose Always buy something that relates to a car as my response, but I should qualify that:

I only step into an autoparts store when I go there with intent to buy something specific, so my buying to visiting ratio is extremely high. I don't recall ever going to an auto parts store just to look around.

JG_Detailing
Feb 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I usually go to an auto part store to see if they got anything new in the detail a car with. And if they don't I still buy something anyway.

PorscheGuy997
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I only go to O'reilly because they have a huge selection and are more friendly. If you go to their site, just search for "Mirror Glaze" in "Tools, accessories, etc." They have a lot of stuff in stock and stuff that they can get before 7:30 the next morning. For example, I desperately needed DACP for really tough detail. They had by the next morning waiting for me. Just ask and they'll get it. If you ask for the Meguiar's catalog, they have tons of stuff.

As for stuff in the store, they have some pro series stuff near the body repair section. #26, Fine and Medium Cut cleaner, Show and New car Glaze, Swirl Remover, Machine Glaze, and #40. They also have a good selection from the consumer series.

farmboy
Mar 10th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I only recommend Napa. My Napa has a good selection of Meg's and nearly the whole pro line is available on shelf or special order. I picked up a gallon of #40 and #34 the other day. The help is far superior to the AutoZone we have.

J. A. Michaels
Apr 15th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Hers another reason I tend to shy away from auto part stores. Last time I was in one looking around, saw some mf glass towels. Bought them. When I got home, Removed the package and they glued the wrapper to the towels. What a Einstien. Took them back the next day. They refunded me the money. Clerk said "everyone that buys these returns em." Well How many returns does it take to figure out to remove them from the shelf.

BINGO53
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM
The bulk of my supplies come from ADS. However, I do patronize ONE individual O'Reily's because they will stock the items I need routinely, and will order anything in the store system master inventory froon of shipping charges.

I get most of my hard parts through my regular mechanic. (can't do repair work on my own cars anymore)

yalerd
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I guess not! jajaja

AeroCleanse
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
If they don't have what I want I leave.

ramphonic
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Alot of the time I go in and can't find the product I'm looking for. I had to go to several places to find NXT Car Wash

Nappers
Dec 14th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I chose Always buy something that relates to a car as my response, but I should qualify that:

I only step into an autoparts store when I go there with intent to buy something specific, so my buying to visiting ratio is extremely high. I don't recall ever going to an auto parts store just to look around.

That's awesome, took the words out of my mouth.

I look up parts on the internet then go to my local stores after calling them on prices and get what I need. Partsamerica.com is for Schucks which we have and often times I print the price sheet from online and get it for that price if it's cheaper of course. I got rear rotors, brake pads for 1/2 off by printing the ad online at a local Schucks, the lady said it was probably an error on the site. The price was for the cheaper rotors and brake pads.

Our local stores don't carry much Meguiars. We have a BlackBird in Medford that carries a lot of stuff and a GI Joes that carries a fair amount of stuff and I usually go there for stuff.

Aaron

Wolf-Strong
Dec 14th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I'm usually there just to buy cleaning supplies, or to see if they have a clearanced out cleaning supplies :dp:

Otherwise, I order everything online. It feels so cool to get a package in the mail!

jfelbab
Dec 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'd rather mail order my products. The MO stores always seem to have what I order in stock and it arrives an a couple days to my door. I can't ever remember a B&M store having everything I need so I just don't go there anymore.

seventhson
Dec 26th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I live in australia so when you look at a car detailing range in an auto store your looking at light cut,swirl remover,show car glaze,consumer step1,2and 3and not much more so I usually walk out empty handed shaking my head.:wall:

9C1 MAN
Dec 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Anything i can get my greedy little fingers on . lol

Blue67
Dec 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
When I go to our local Parts Plus Store, it is for a Reason. Most times it is to get a specific part or product. On occasion it will be for advice or information, as I have been dealing with one of their counter persons for the past 30+ years. Another plus is that they are also a full line Auto Body Supply and carry Meguiar's products. Their prices on Meguiar's products are a bit higher but they have what I want when I need it or can get it in short order. So I rarely leave without purchasing something.

G Force
Dec 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I love detailing my car and hifi music, before buying any items i read forums to know what they really are.
If the shops have what i want i go for it. :wavey

b2bomber
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
usually just cleaning products for me... especially hard-to-find ones.

Andy M.
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Even if I do go in for some kind of auto part for repair, I always check the isle with all the waxes a car care products. Only to check out what Megs products they have in stock, which is usually disappointing.

Andy
101impala

Hemin8r
Feb 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm usually in to just get oil & the filters & I'm out. I went in once to buy som GC wash and since they didn't have any in stock that's when I walked out empty handed. HOW COULD THEY NOT HAVE ANY IN STOCK!

AjNavo61490
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM
last time i went to pep boys, i got some Meg's GC Shampoo and New Bosch ICON Wiper Blades for my BMW :)

CAShine
Aug 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
I always have something in mind when i go in and if i dont find it i will walk out empty handed.

Jokeman
Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:56 AM
I always go for something and walk out with something and some air fresheners. For detailing supplies, ADS and sometimes Autogeek. We also have a local "auto detailing supply" store here that I am going to try out tonite.

acsuppa
Aug 22nd, 2008, 05:01 AM
I voted nothing at all. Well, unless I need an auto part. I don't buy detailing supplies there because they usually don't carry much of the Pro Line and no Detailer Line.

Malo83
Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I always go in to these stores, Kragens,AutoZone,Pep Boys,Napa mainly Pep Boys as they seem to carry more Meguiars than anybody :D

Heatgain
Jan 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I voted for "just cleaning supplies" but many times I walk out empty-handed. Most times I just drop in to see if anything's on sale or clearance. 2 weeks ago I ended up with 24 bottles of Invisible Glass for .95 each doing that.
If there's nothing on clearance or sale for a great price, I leave empty-handed.

Robby144
Mar 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I put "Always..." because whenever I go to my neighborhood Kragen store I always winding up treating myself to something for detailing. They always seem to have great prices.

Eddie6th
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I would reckon I buy 90+ % of the time,so technically not always,but neither empty handed.

rusty bumper
Aug 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I usually just go to O'Reilly's, and since they carry Meguiar's pro line stuff, its hard to leave empty handed.
I'm quoting an old post, but I just noticed that one of their stores is going up just a few blocks from here.

If they carry the pro line then I will have to pay them a visit. :dp:

Expertcarpetcare
Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Our local auto parts store is ... "not the best". If I order something, they refuse to call me when it's in. They will leave you standing at the counter waiting while they "shoot the breeze" with the old guy in front of you for 1/2 hour. The pricing is way out of whack, and if you ask for a meguiar's product they insist you give them a product number because they dont know how else to find it.

I buy what I must there and that's about it.

Calais
Dec 16th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Most of the stores carry a decent number of Meguiar's products, but nothing I don't already have and usually priced much higher than I can get stuff online. If I need single item, I may pick it up from a local store to avoid shipping; but if I can put it off until I make a full order, I would much rather do that.

jeff618
Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
This is a bad question!! LOL I never walk into one UNLESS I NEED SOMETHING, thus I always walk out with something I guess...

BTW, "Final Inspection" IS THE BOMB... I use it on my motorcycle.

searle
Dec 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
yup, like Jeff said, I dont go into the auto parts store unless I am specifically looking for at least one thing. I will leave empty-handed if they dont have the product I am specifically looking for (like some might not have M07 or #26), but since I usually only go to the few stores I know carry what I want, I usually leave with what I came in for and likely a couple of extras (often more MFs, etc).

BobbyG
Apr 3rd, 2010, 03:10 AM
Do you walk out of a auto part store empty handed? Every time I go to a store that has to do with cars I need to buy something for it. Like cleaning supplies, new mats, air freshners even decals.

Yup, and I even by parts there too!

Shizane2002
May 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I buy cleaning supplies most of the time. Sometimes the stuff they stock is pretty good. Especially Lucas Oil fluids (Synth oil suppliment, oil treatment, gas treatment, etc). And I like having them order parts...they get parts insanely faster than ordering parts online myself.

Shiny Silver Hood
Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Very often I will walk out empty handed. Mainly because most Canadian auto parts stores do not a deep enough line of Meguiars products :dunno