PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of smell?

Mless5
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I washed the carpet with some shampoo than used wet/dry vacuum to **** it out, but the smell is still there. The car was sitting for a while and I am trying to bring it back to good shape after PO. Seats are vinyl, but I took them out for shampooing. I wiped down every plastic surface with Vinylex (really happy with that stuff) wipes.

Thanks!

MDetail
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
There should be an odor reover made by meguiars. Have you tried that yet?

Mless5
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Not yet. Any other methods out there?

Renny Doyle
Feb 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM
One product I love and is available at Home Depot is Zep High Traffic Carpet Cleaner. Leaves the carpets clean and fresh.

Also, here is a write-up about odor issues to read that may assist you if you are at the pro level! http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6636283

Best of luck,

Mless5
Feb 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I used shampoo that came with the vacuum cleaner. It smells nice and everything, but when the car dried up completely, nasty smell came back.

Do those plug in ionizers work?

Renny Doyle
Feb 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Is the smell a "old food" or greasy, dirty smell? I would guess that you have not removed the "source" of the smell 100%. A spill can be cleaned-up but if even small amounts of the substance remains, so will the smell.

If the cleaner you are using is not enzyme based, that could also play a roll. We have used some of the finest carpet cleaners in the world but when dealing with a soiled area and combined with an odor, they fail to work as they are not designed to work on odors!

I would suggest a product aimed at working on the type of odor you are trying to remove but make certain the area where the smell originated is 100% clean...again if the source of the smell is not removed, the smell will return!

You can mask the smell but it may return...I would find the source, remove as much as possible and treat with odor removal product. If I can assist you more...drop me a note!

Mless5
Feb 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks. I had seats off and I lifter the carpet. Everything underneath was wet. I've been drying it for like 4 days straight and it's finally dry along with the carpet. I can't really say what that smell is, it's just smells like the car that was sitting for a while. I will check that shampoo tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your help!

Paradox
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Not sure if this would work for you but if Meguiar's doesn't have something try Wonderwafers. Google them. I use this little things in my car and everyone comments how my cars always smell so nice. The April fresh version is nice.

johnyB
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Dont forget to check the ventalation system and the headliner.

jonmike
May 1st, 2007, 04:56 AM
Simple, place an ample amount of baking soda in a container. Leave the container without the lid inside your car at least overnight.

To really prove this works, I forgot to remove the baking soda container in my car during the day, it almost drained the smell out of my car freshener.

Just my .02 cents!

HagFan
May 1st, 2007, 05:09 AM
I'd sprinkle the baking soda (and some salt) directly on the carpet. Let it sit for 24-48 hours, vacuum it out, and maybe repeat that once more. It's worked wonders for me once, but I knew the exact origin of the odor.

MaximusZTS
May 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Simple, place an ample amount of baking soda in a container. Leave the container without the lid inside your car at least overnight.

To really prove this works, I forgot to remove the baking soda container in my car during the day, it almost drained the smell out of my car freshener.

Just my .02 cents!

+1 I use bakin soda and it works great.

AeroCleanse
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:35 PM
The best way is to use an Ozone Generator after using a hot water carpet extractor.

stealth
Dec 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM
If the rugs & the insulation under them are wet as previously posted they have to completely dry & the floor of the unit has to be dry too. Don't reinstall until you've ascertained the source of the wet rugs otherwise you'll be back to square one fast.

rusty bumper
Dec 12th, 2007, 08:48 PM
This is the best product that I have tried so far...

Odo Ban (http://www.odoban.com/)

It will even kill cat urine odor, but it takes using it full strength with more than one application to do it.

You can get a gallon jug w/ an extra quart in a sprayer bottle for 10.00 at Sam's Club.

If you don't get results right away then let the product do it's thing over time and it will eventually destroy a bad smell.

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I found once you eliminate the root cause there's one inexpensive product that will absorb odors not cover them up - Zeolite. Anytime someone gets in my car knowing that I smoke they are suprised. Mind you I am car crazy by detailing interior once a week and ashtray is always cleaned out. But still without these inconspicuous bag of volcanic rocks you would notice. They run about $9 from Bed, Bath & Beyond as Gonzo Odor Eliminators and they last forever. Every 9-10 months leave them in the sun for a few hours to recharge as the heat releases the trapped ions, and back in your car, house , wherever, they go. Hope this helps :)

rusty bumper
Dec 13th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I found once you eliminate the root cause there's one inexpensive product that will absorb odors not cover them up - Zeolite. Anytime someone gets in my car knowing that I smoke they are surprised. Mind you I am car crazy by detailing interior once a week and ashtray is always cleaned out. But still without these inconspicuous bag of volcanic rocks you would notice. They run about $9 from Bed, Bath & Beyond as Gonzo Odor Eliminators and they last forever. Every 9-10 months leave them in the sun for a few hours to recharge as the heat releases the trapped ions, and back in your car, house , wherever, they go. Hope this helps :)

You can also buy it in kitty litter size particles from the pet stores.

I have used it to help aid in the removal of ammonia in fish aquariums.

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Yup, definetely R.B you're right, and it is that versatile.

Lydia
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:07 AM
This is the best product that I have tried so far...

Odo Ban (http://www.odoban.com/)

It will even kill cat urine odor, but it takes using it full strength with more than one application to do it.

You can get a gallon jug w/ an extra quart in a sprayer bottle for 10.00 at Sam's Club.

If you don't get results right away then let the product do it's thing over time and it will eventually destroy a bad smell.

Odo Ban is really good stuff. We use it in the gym I work at. We keep about 10 spray bottles around the gym full of diluted Odo Ban for use on the equipment, and we use it on our bathroom floors. It's not only a deodorizer, it's also antifungal, antibacterial, and all that good stuff.

Zeolite - lava rock in aquariums to remove ammonia? I've never heard of that. That makes me wonder, though, would activated carbon help with odors any?

rusty bumper
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Zeolite - lava rock in aquariums to remove ammonia? I've never heard of that. That makes me wonder, though, would activated carbon help with odors any?

I'm sure it would remove odors, but I wonder if the air would have to be forced through it first?

For what it's worth...the kind of carbon used in air filters is processed from wood.

The kind of carbon that is used in aquariums is made from Bituminous coal (at least the good kind is). It excels in removing dissolved waste and is probably the kind of carbon that is used in household water filters too.

Not sure if Zeolite is made from actual lava rock. I was thinking that it is the same stuff as kitty litter?

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 14th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Forced? Nope. It helps having air circulate but have found people place them in closets with no circulation and after a day or so left the air simply clean. A wikipedia search would explain much as well as googling it and view how people use it. Again, I personally, aside from logically emptying out my ashtray, was looking for something to work nonstop, like a lifetime air freshener with no scent. Well I still, by habit, use a coconut or vanillaroma scent tree :-)

rusty bumper
Dec 15th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Forced? Nope. It helps having air circulate but have found people place them in closets with no circulation and after a day or so left the air simply clean. A wikipedia search would explain much as well as googling it and view how people use it. Again, I personally, aside from logically emptying out my ashtray, was looking for something to work nonstop, like a lifetime air freshener with no scent. Well I still, by habit, use a coconut or vanillaroma scent tree :-)

I'll have to try some of that stuff in the near future.

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 26th, 2007, 11:49 AM
It's called <a href="http://www.atp-inc.com/featured/zeotrap.php">Zeo Trap</a>, and can be found at various online auto parts sites.

prnsr82
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Old used car trick i learned, leave a dryer sheet in your car over night, this is if its just a temp smell and you dont have a dead animal or something that will cause the odor to come back, just my 2 cents.

JJ Henry
Oct 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM
My favorite product is Auto Shocker, it is a simple odor eliminator that is easy to use. However, this stuff is powerful! It works really well, it gets into the upholstery and kills the stink. Any car owner needs this stuff. Check it out at http://www.biocidesystems.com/auto3hslanding.html

FredAutocare
Feb 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM
One product I love and is available at Home Depot is Zep High Traffic Carpet Cleaner. Leaves the carpets clean and fresh.

Also, here is a write-up about odor issues to read that may assist you if you are at the pro level! http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6636283

Best of luck,

I've been working in the auto care industry for the past 30 years and have dealt with many strange odors in the vehicles that i have worked on. I recently discovered this product called the Auto Shocker quick release that releases Chlorine Dioxide vapor in your vehicle in the course of 24 hours and when you come back the odor is completely destroyed. It's incredibly easy to use and very inexpensive, I find it to be the perfect solution to any strong odors I come across. I hope this helps you guys, good luck!