PDA

View Full Version : Can Rotary remove down to primer scratches?

jmanero123
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I have scratches on my lower door panel...down to primer..as I can feel with my fingernail..and they look white in color...pretty deep i guess. Would a rotary and/or wet sanding remove these? Or improve these scratches?

Or would it be best to either use touch up paint..or get the panel repainted altogether??

Thanks,,,

98blackbird
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:00 PM
if its down to primer you have no other choice other than repainting or just living with it.

Michael Stoops
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:59 PM
if its down to primer you have no other choice other than repainting or just living with it.
I agree. In order to remove a scratch you actually have to remove some of the surrounding paint. If the scratch is down to the primer than removal of the surrounding material down to that level really is not an option. You might be able to fill the scratch a bit with some touch up paint and then wet sand down to the surrounding level, but that's a bit of an art form in itself!

CharlesW
Mar 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM
One thing that many people don't realize.
You aren't really removing scratches, you are removing the paint around the scratches. In your case, removing the surrounding paint down to the primer wouldn't be a good thing.
Touch-up paint will help and on a lower panel, you might be happy with it.
Repainting the panel is probably the only way you will make it look like new again.
Another thing to keep in mind, The scratches are probably no where near as noticable to any one else as they are to you. The touch-up paint will probably hide them from everyone else. :)

jmanero123
Mar 31st, 2007, 06:11 PM
thanks guys...for the advice...ill go with touch up paint since they are on a lower panel...

Buellwinkle
Dec 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Heck yeah, a rotory with a sanding disc will remove a scratch down to bare metal and even smooth out bare metal. Slap a little bondo to smooth things out, sand, prime, color and clearcoat, scratch gone. I've had scratches like that, spent all day with the process but came out great.

Sydster
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM

:iagree:

yalerd
Dec 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM
Sorry man, I wish you were in another situation but repaint or live with it

acsuppa
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying. Once the paint is gone, there really is nothing you can do. Try touching them up and wet sanding them smooth, then buff the area.

thecarguy
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Well , I have done some pretty amazing things with my rotary over the years , but I have never been able to figure out how to polish paint that isn't there :coolgleam . Seriously though , if you don't want to repaint , you can do the following.
: Find correct touch up paint.
: Apply in VERY thin layers.
: Apply said layers until color looks like it is blending in nicely , and is just below flush with the factory color coat.
: Apply clear touch up paint in VERY thin coats until it is a little " proud ", or higher than the factory color coat . Allow plenty of time to let each coat cure.
: Wet sand this area and a little bit of the surrounding area after the touch up paint has had ample cure time .
" Polish area to a brilliant , scratch free surface . It may not look perfect but if you can't spend the money to repaint , it will look much better than a scratch , and will help keep the area from rusting .

I have had satisfactory results doing this procedure on cars when I used to Manage the detail departments at my local car dealerships , just take your time and I am sure you will be happy with the results .

Cory