PDA

View Full Version : pad rotation question

YORCHI
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I just got my G100 last week, and tried it out after attending a detail class on my mother in laws silver Corolla this past saturday...

I did a good job, took out some minor scratches, and swirls with the #80...then I applied a thin layer of DC #3 carnauba wax over it...

my question however is...is it necessary to get lots of rotations out of the pad when applying products? I watched the How To DVD before and after to get a more visual idea of how much pressure to apply and I found out that when I applied the 10-15 lbs of pressure the pad was moving either really slowly in circles or not at all at times...is that still fine?

I know it oscillates and rotates, but when pressure is applied, it pretty much doesn't rotate at all but still keeps on oscillating...

are the oscillations more important than rotations???

thanks in advance...I just want to make sure I'm doing it right

Michael Stoops
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Sometimes it helps to put a couple of hash marks on the back of the backing plate with a permanent marker. That way you can tell for sure if the pad is still rotating and not just oscillating. When polishing you should apply enough downward to just about stop the pad from rotating. If you're doing light cleaning there isn't really a reason to apply even that much pressure - just enough to do the job.

Mike Phillips
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
First click the link below and read through the entire thread, not our comments starting on page 3 (long but filled with insight)

G100/PC - Should it be spinning all the time? (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12056)

Next, anytime you have the pad rotating over the surface, as in the foam material is moving across the paint, you're going to get more cleaning or abrading action then if the foam is more or less stationary but vibrating.

The tool is safe but the safety comes at the price of effectiveness.

Also, as your pads become wet or saturated with product then you lose rotating power, thus having more pads on hand to polish a car is better than one of a few. As the pads get wet remove them and switch to a dry pad. Note pads don't have to be new, just clean and dry.

Other factors that affect rotating are

Pad Angle - Pads rotate best when they are held flat to the surface. This can be hard or impossible for small or curved panels.

Product Selection - Some product offer more lubricity than others and higher lubricity enables the pad to rotate more easily.

YORCHI
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
thanks for the replies...

but I'm still not clear even after reading all that whether I absolutely have to let it rotate or not???