PDA

View Full Version : In praise of... CLEANER WAX!

Mosca
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
LINK TO THIS THREAD --> Mosca's article on cleaner wax (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19978)

Hello, I haven't posted here in a while. No real reason, just some time off from the forums. It's been a rough year for the Mosca household, but nothing we couldn't handle, with the help of insurance adjusters. (Never in a million years did I think that my house would get hit by a tornado, let alone in December.)

Anyhow, here's my trick of the trade. After all these years as a self-professed fanatic, I have finally come full circle to a real appreciation for and recommendation of the regular use of cleaner waxes!

There are a few reasons why, and it certainly doesn't mean that I'm against getting out the G-100 and pads and #80 and having a day of it. But hear me out.

First, find and read Mike's excellent article, "A Lesson From White Paint" (http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/80676-lesson-white-paint.html?highlight=%22white+cars%22). The link I gave is Autopia, I couldn't find the article here. There is a lot of GREAT information in that article, but the essence of it as it applies to cleaner waxes is this: "The paint on cars becomes stained and dirty when continually exposed to outdoor environments and inclement weather. Dirt and pollution, both in the air, and the water in the form of road spray on wet roads, accumulates in the pores of the paint. The paint on all cars used as daily drivers becomes cloudy and gray from exposure to outdoor environments and inclement weather, not just cars with white paint (it’s just more apparent on white paint). The average person cannot see this staining taking place because it happens slowly over time, and builds up evenly over the entire surface, so in most cases, there is never a contrasting section to tip-off the owner that their paint is becoming more cloudy and less clear. This staining effect grays your finish and hides the true color and beauty of the finish. This is especially true on cars with medium to dark colored finishes."

What I drew from this is that, contrary to our desire for "pure" protectants that have no cleaners in them but that will only serve to protect our finishes after we've polished them, we can actually maintain a better appearance over time by cleaning a little bit with each application of protectant!

Secondly: It's about basics, and how the basics are the backbone of any successful job. Clean materials. Proper technique. And the correct tools.

Now, clean materials, we agree. And proper technique, that's why we have these forums.

So, correct tools, right? OK. What makes us fanatics different from Joe Sunday, who waxes his car once in May and once in October? It's that we might wax our cars once a month, or more frequently; we'll wax for enjoyment if the weather's nice and the Pirates are on the radio!

And one thing that we often forget is that touches = swirls. No matter how hard you try, wash mitts and drying towels leave traces. What that means, to me, is that I need a different tool for my specific way of working. And since the wax is one of my tools, I need to choose a tool that will help to control swirl buildup; after all, I'm prone to touching my finish more than Joe Sunday! A good cleaner wax is perfect for this! Will you still get swirls? Sure. Eventually you will always get swirls. But if you use clean materials and proper technique and a good cleaner wax you can double your time between complete details.

A few more ancillary points: length of protection is a non-issue for frequent waxers. A-12 or #6 or ColorX (the strongest of the three) all last plenty long, as do the waxes with slight cleaners (GC and NXT). And appearance is generally excellent for these products. They are all within the "Meguiar's family look" of balanced brightness, gloss and depth.

So, that is my "trick of the trade". Save yourself time and energy with cleaner wax! Only your detailing friends will know for sure... but only if you tell them!

Tom

CWM3
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I love Cleaner Wax and use it almost weekly. Great stuff.

HagFan
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I still like the notion of claying it a couple of times a year just to avoid swirling in some of those contaminates that the cleaner might loosen.

Stangfan
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Nothing wrong with cleaner wax. That is what I use on my daily driver 07 Focus ZX5. It sits outside because my Mustangs occupy the garages. Cleaner wax not only protects the paint, it also removes the extra stuff that builds up on an 'outside car'. The Mustangs....well that is another story altogether. :cool:

Larry A
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Mosca, you are a 100% right.

Mike Phillips
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Met a guy at a GoodGuys Hot Rod Show with a flawless finish on a old school full-bodied hot rodded Model A black in color.

Now in case you haven't looked at Model A recently, they have lots of body lines and curves and actually lots of raised areas and raised body lines.

Careful inspection of his car's finish as it sat in the middle of a grass field in the bright summer sun revealed a completely flawless finish with a deep wet shine. When asked what he used to get his black paint to look so good he simply opened the deck-lid on his car and sitting in the back was a bottle of Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax with a couple of terry cloth towels.

Said it's all he ever used; said he's been using the product for about 20 years on his car's paint.

His car was surrounded by high dollar hot rods yet his car's finish made his car stand out.

J. A. Michaels
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
:iagree: Mosca is right. Sorry to hear about the tornado damage. Hope everything is getting back to normal for your family.

tguil
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
:iagree: Mosca is right. Sorry to hear about the tornado damage. Hope everything is getting back to normal for your family.

Amen.

I have started to use ColorX almost exclusively on my white trucks. I'll add an application of NXT when the "spirit moves me to do so."

Tom :cool:

kellyinkc
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I like cleaner wax on white cars! Topped by #20 or #21.

Mosca
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks. It was a few months ago. We needed a new roof anyhow, this way we didn't have to pay for it. The only bad part now is that the garage is full of debris we have to sort through when it gets warm. I swear, I felt like some kind of sad sack last year, every time I turned around there was some crisis we had to deal with.

A part of my point also is that the consumer/over-the-counter products are the way they are for a reason, and sometimes that reason is correct. If you're going to be waxing every couple weeks anyhow, do something to compensate for the extra touching. Because if you pull out the #80 every month, your paint is going to be mighty thin after a couple years.

Tom

imacarnut
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
i can't say it enough, colorx is an excellent product!

Saumil
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM
quick question...i was told that cleaner waxes should only be used 4 times a year MAX..is this true?..this is the reason i went out and bought Meg's GC..used Megs Cleaner/Wax once before..was about to repeat..but read that you shouldnt...

I dont plan on using the pro line yet (newbie)..

PorscheGuy997
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
It really depends on the type of cleaner wax and the abrassiveness of the product. The regular Meguiar's cleaner wax (paste or liquid),ColorX, and #6 are fine to use as many times as you want per year. #66 should not be used as often.

You can use GC, NXT, #16, 21, 26, 20 as many times as you want.

Why would you use a cleaner wax four times a year anyways?

MR.CLEAN
Apr 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM
We use alot of #66 in my shop,on dealer. cars .I"am really impressed what it can do sometimes.:bigups

gb387
Apr 14th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Why would you use a cleaner wax four times a year anyways?

I think quite often the average user has a bottle on hand and thats what they use, its easy to find in just about any store and the main wax of many. Isn't Meguiars Cleaner/Wax one of the #1 selling waxes?

Doesn't everyone have a bottle of Meguiars Cleaner/Wax? :)

BuckeyeMCS
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Great write up! Thank you.
I know about how crushing a house issue can be. We lost the top to floors of our house to a fire. Faith and friends got us through it.
Question, Have you used the cleaner wax with a DA?Scottwax2
What setting/pad and how long do you work it in?
I bought one of those big bottles at odd lots.

OhioCarBuff
Apr 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
If we wanted to do a quick waxing and used the regular consumer grade A12 cleaner wax and then topped with #21 or NXT, would the carnuaba in the A12 affect the bonding of the #21 or NXT (I'm thinking this becuase A12 is carnuaba based, and the NXT & 21 are all polymer based.

Mosca
Apr 20th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Great write up! Thank you.
I know about how crushing a house issue can be. We lost the top to floors of our house to a fire. Faith and friends got us through it.
Question, Have you used the cleaner wax with a DA?Scottwax2
What setting/pad and how long do you work it in?
I bought one of those big bottles at odd lots.

Yes, I've used ColorX with the G-100. I use a finishing pad and set the speed to 1.5 and move the machine slowly, but I don't go over and over the same spot. The idea is complete coverage and letting the product work rather than the pad. We aren't grinding the surface, we're waxing... but moving a little bit of paint at the same time.

One thing I wrote was "frequent waxing"; I also meant that frequent washing, once a week or more, is a major source of the swirls that we are going to prevent through frequent use of cleaner waxes.

Tom

BuckeyeMCS
Apr 20th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Tom,
Thanks
My worry is adding swirls by using the cleaner wax wrong with the DA.

Mosca
Apr 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Just use clean materials and proper technique and you'll have no worries.

Tom

TKDDAD
Apr 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I think quite often the average user has a bottle on hand and thats what they use, its easy to find in just about any store and the main wax of many. Isn't Meguiars Cleaner/Wax one of the #1 selling waxes?

Doesn't everyone have a bottle of Meguiars Cleaner/Wax? :)

I've never used it yet...I have Color X...how does it compare ??

gb387
Apr 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I've never used it yet...I have Color X...how does it compare ??

I can not compare never used COLORx... :D

Mosca
Apr 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
A-12 is not as strong as ColorX cleaner-wise, but neither could be called strong compared to a dedicated product like #82. What we're doing with these products is maintaining a swirl-free appearance, not creating one.

ColorX is a bit richer, deeper, and wetter in appearance; A-12 is shinier and more reflective. But they are both within the general Meguiar's look; well balanced in gloss, depth, wetness, and reflection.

I really don't have a preference. I switch among A-12, ColorX, and #6. Or for the garaged car, NXT, Gold Class, and #21; those products have very slight cleaners.

EDIT: Here's something Mike wrote when I asked a similar question, I knew it was around here somewhere...

Hi Tom,

The New & Improved A-12 Cleaner/Wax adds more richness to a dark colored finish, it lasts longer and it beads water better. It may apply and remove easier.

One other note: A-12 is a cleaner/wax for lightly neglected surfaces, it's not in the same category as a product like ColorX. So if you have an extremely neglected surface, ColorX is the product you want to use. If the car's finish you're working on has only light oxidation, road staining, swirls and scratches, the A-12 is a better choice. Less cleaning ability, more polishing and protection characteristics.

Mike

Tom

TKDDAD
Apr 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Awesome...thanks for the info...I'll have to pick up some A-12 when I get a chance..

tguil
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:43 PM
"...One other note: A-12 is a cleaner/wax for lightly neglected surfaces, it's not in the same category as a product like ColorX. So if you have an extremely neglected surface, ColorX is the product you want to use. If the car's finish you're working on has only light oxidation, road staining, swirls and scratches, the A-12 is a better choice. Less cleaning ability, more polishing and protection characteristics..."

So A-12 actually offers more protection than ColorX? Here I thought that ColorX was the one that offered more protection. I guess that it will be back to the burgandy bottle for me. By the way, I think that I have tham all -- ColorX, NXT, #16, #6, #26, #20......... But thank goodness no #21. :D

Old Dogg™
Feb 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Great post!
Very good information and link.:xyxthumbs
I hope all the information is still valid.

Thanks to all!

Larry A
Mar 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Wax your car once every 3 months with a cleaner wax. If you have a black or another dark colored car , follow with NXT2 for the looks. Once a month follow a wash with UQW. Your car will look better then most cars out there.

tguil
Mar 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I can't believe this thread came up again. I was thinking about resurrecting it myself. It is still very, very true. I just finished waxing my 2007 Ram with ColorX applied with a pc set at 4 and W-8006 polishing pad. I worked it with "passion". All the minor micro marring from winter washes is gone and the truck is lookin' good with a good coat of wax already in place. Done for the next month or two.

I usually use NXT as an all-in-one "cleaner/wax", but this time I needed a bit more "umph". Therefore the ColorX. NXT as an "all-in-one"? Sure thing if your paint is in good shape and you work NXT like a polish with a pc (or by hand even).

A good thread. "Wax and drive" rather than "Wax and wax and wax..." :D

p.s. Larry A., I'm 66 too. I've been messin' with waxing cars for 50 years. We "old guys" just know stuff, right?

Sean Ryan
Oct 12th, 2015, 08:58 AM
This is a great thread

davey g-force
Oct 12th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I agree that Cleaner Wax is a great and under-rated product. I have the paste version, and I used it just the other day to polish / protect my rims.

And the smell! It smells good enough to eat! Probably my favourite smelling Meguiars product! :drool1

Sean Ryan
Oct 12th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I agree that Cleaner Wax is a great and under-rated product. I have the paste version, and I used it just the other day to polish / protect my rims.

And the smell! It smells good enough to eat! Probably my favourite smelling Meguiars product! :drool1

My tin is in the post :)

BillE
Oct 13th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Not to be a downer on the Good Ol' Maroon Bottle/Can...White wax has become my 'first to grab' in the "cleaner wax" area.

Me thinks, Meguiar's really hit it out of the park with this (White Wax) and Black Wax.

Just my 2

Sean Ryan
Oct 14th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Not to be a downer on the Good Ol' Maroon Bottle/Can...White wax has become my 'first to grab' in the "cleaner wax" area.

Me thinks, Meguiar's really hit it out of the park with this (White Wax) and Black Wax.

Just my 2

My car is black i was going to get black wax as i need all the help i can get at hiding light scratches ect would black wax be any good for this?

BillE
Oct 14th, 2015, 03:35 AM
Don't let the name, "White Wax"/ "Black Wax" confuse you. Their name has nothing to do with what color you car may be.

In a nut shell, the big difference is that the White Wax has more 'cleaning ability', whereas the Black Wax has more of a 'polishing ability'.

As to the light scratches, personally I'd give the White Wax a try.

Bill

briarpatch
Oct 14th, 2015, 03:45 AM
I've been using Meguiars Cleaner Wax for years...always with good results

Sean Ryan
Oct 14th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Don't let the name, "White Wax"/ "Black Wax" confuse you. Their name has nothing to do with what color you car may be.

In a nut shell, the big difference is that the White Wax has more 'cleaning ability', whereas the Black Wax has more of a 'polishing ability'.

As to the light scratches, personally I'd give the White Wax a try.

Bill

Thanks bill i bought the white wax tonight :goodjob1

BillE
Oct 15th, 2015, 04:27 AM
Be sure to let us all know how it all works out for ya.

Bill

rusty bumper
Oct 17th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Ah, good ol' cleaner wax!

Still use it.

Sean Ryan
Oct 19th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Can you use a glaze before cleaner wax or after?

The Guz
Oct 19th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Can you use a glaze before cleaner wax or after?

Sure you can. But the cleaner wax will end up removing it.

Eldorado2k
Oct 19th, 2015, 08:49 PM
I still like to use Cleaner Wax for oddball things like grills n stuff. I've had this bottle so long that I don't even remember when I bought it. It's at least 10yrs. old... But I wouldn't doubt if it's from the time of my 1st car, which would make it 18yrs now._.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image_zpsa87f3410.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image_zpsa87f3410.jpg.html)

rusty bumper
Oct 19th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Sure you can. But the cleaner wax will end up removing it.

Only the excess polish sitting on the surface.

Buddy05
Jan 24th, 2019, 05:39 PM
sorry to make post here, but just wanted to remind everyone no to use the cleaner wax on white car, cleaner wax has ruin my new white car paint with yellow stained and meguairs doesnt even care to take responsibility

rusty bumper
Jan 25th, 2019, 01:57 PM
sorry to make post here, but just wanted to remind everyone no to use the cleaner wax on white car, cleaner wax has ruin my new white car paint with yellow stained and meguairs doesnt even care to take responsibility

That's not been my experience yet, but I have not tried it on newer paint.

What's the make and model of your new car?

Buddy05
Jan 25th, 2019, 05:51 PM
my Car is 2018, mitsubishi Pajero sport, AKa Montero

That's not been my experience yet, but I have not tried it on newer paint.

What's the make and model of your new car?

davey g-force
Jan 28th, 2019, 11:44 AM

Wow, never heard of this happening.

Care to ellaborate? How did you use the product? How old is the product? What was the condition of the paint before? Have you tried polishing the yellow stains out?

Hopefully someone from Meguiars chimes in...

Nick Winn
Jan 28th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Wow, never heard of this happening.

Care to ellaborate? How did you use the product? How old is the product? What was the condition of the paint before? Have you tried polishing the yellow stains out?

Hopefully someone from Meguiars chimes in...

Hi Davey,

We have been discussing this in another thread. It's located in our Customer Service Hotline section for reference.

Buddy05
Jan 28th, 2019, 06:55 PM
yes the problem already opened in CS line, but not receive any good explanation. here I give the link of discussion
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?68708-meg-cleaner-wax-paste-ruin-my-car
and for other member, this kind of problem actually already reported few times with different paint condition but without any good way resolution
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?7219-wax-stained-my-paint
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?11275-HELP!-White-car-cleaner-wax-Yellow-car
imaybe meguairs will likely to blame the paint, or the application method. But once Again, this isnt a professional item and there is no warning at the can which write this might happen, and seems all the discussion only closed by non resolved situation, or maybe wait for the "victim" to get your own way out...really professional company. I said this as my own opinion which can read at my posting and discussion...

once again I write in this thread because this is one of the thread that encourage me to use the cleaner wax when I confused to use or to keep my cleaner wax. Maybe in future another person, hope will not doing same mistake as myself to put to big hope on this product, especially their new white car

Hi Davey,

We have been discussing this in another thread. It's located in our Customer Service Hotline section for reference.

drumdan
Jan 28th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I have a white car, and Cleaner Wax works great on it.

Buddy05
Jan 28th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Yes sir, like I said before. I was too put very full trust in Megs big name. but when its happen, where is the faulty then? I'm a really open, so if megs want to blame car manufacturer or even me, then lets talk. I'm not doing any black campaign here, I have all the documentation and after all this item is a customer line product not a professional product. Please everybody can read the comment on the link I give, and each of you feel free to comment.
hope this will never happen again to any other person, and last thing, if its works great to your car and have a problem with my car, then is it mean my car is the problem? I just wish the company would address this matter more professional

I have a white car, and Cleaner Wax works great on it.