PDA

View Full Version : Car Drying Method

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
What methods/products do you use to thoroughly dry car after its bubble bath?

Murr1525
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM
A Water Magnet isnt really a chanois....

BlueZero
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Right now I use a waffle weave for drying. One of these days I'm going to put the hose on the blower port of my wet/dry vac and give that a go.

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Yup true it isnt but I lumped it as an either or.

Michael Stoops
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:50 AM
After my final rinse I take the nozzle off the hose and just let a gentle stream of water run over the entire car. This collects up all those pretty little beads of water and sheets 80-90% of the water off the car. After that I take a couple of Water Magnets to what's left.

This process works great on a well waxed car, and even better on one treated with Ultimate Quik Detailer. I can't wait to see how NXT 2.0 or M21 2.0 helps this process.

Nappers
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM
After my final rinse I take the nozzle off the hose and just let a gentle stream of water run over the entire car. This collects up all those pretty little beads of water and sheets 80-90% of the water off the car. After that I take a couple of Water Magnets to what's left.

This process works great on a well waxed car, and even better on one treated with Ultimate Quik Detailer. I can't wait to see how NXT 2.0 or M21 2.0 helps this process.

I do the same thing (see I do read what others do :))

Whats left, I use my Meguiars microfiber towels to mop up the rest.

Aaron

AeroCleanse
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I use a slow flow from the hose then use some microfiber towels.

mudvayne9790
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I sheet the water to get most of it off then us the absorber, then i go over the rest with a waffle weave.

J. A. Michaels
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM
After I sheet the water off, I use absorber, then a Marine water magnet. On the glass I use the regular water magnet after the absorber.

Ryan L.
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sheeting method then Water Magnet. Sometimes if its too hot to sheet, I'll use the blower on the vacuum to get all the little cracks and crevices cleaned out.

Ryan

RaskyR1
Dec 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I actually use the "Water Sprite" but it's like the absorber. I use waffle weave MF towels too. I guess it depends on the car and weather or not I will be polishing it after.

Scout and me
Dec 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
After sheeting the water over the car,
I take my modified electric leaf blower to blow off the excess H20 and then do a quick walk around hitting the nooks and crannies.
Next comes the absorber, then MF waffle weeve and finally the plush microfiber to do a final buff.
p@

BINGO53
Dec 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Stream off with nozzle-less hose, leaf blower, then water magnet.

yalerd
Dec 20th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Water magnet most of the time

Trick95
Dec 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM
I go for a drive around the block. 5 mins and nothing touches the surface.

Edit: Probably should add that the car is white and never gets water spots.

brickyardz
Dec 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
I just use older bath towels for drying the car after keeping it wet during the wash process to protect it from hard water spots. As I have continued to learn more about car detailing I have decided I will be switching to the waffle water magnet from Meguiars.

I used to use a Chamois but won't let one of those touch any car again. It might be fine at drying the car and you can do the whole thing with one but because there is no nap, get one piece of dirt caught in it and your paint will get scratched! I learned this the hard way once I got a car that was more than just a daily driver so I won't use them on any car now. The nap in a MF terri cloth or other similar product absorbs the dirt particles and keeps them away from the paint finish so it doesn't get scratched.

angeloabbattista
Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Been using a few Pakshak waffle weave MF. Not Meguiars because we xan't get the water magnet here in Australia. Bought a few in Malaysia on my last work trip so going to give them a try to compare.

G Force
Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
Two chamois ,one for the wax one for glass,i then go round the block to dry brakes (brake rotors rust fast)and remove inaccessible water from joints. ;)

RamAirV1
Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
After sheeting the water over the car,
I take my modified electric leaf blower to blow off the excess H20 and then do a quick walk around hitting the nooks and crannies.
Next comes the absorber, then MF waffle weeve and finally the plush microfiber to do a final buff.
p@

How do you modify the leaf blower? I tried a leaf blower once and it was disaster. Instant water spots! It was like it dried the paint too fast. And it was a recently waxed surface.

I use a combination of al the poll choices. I sheet the water off which gets most of it. Then on the hood roof and trunk I blot with a large size terry towel. If you blot that virtually eliminates any possibility of marring. I follow up with a Water Magnet.

It's the door jambs, bumpers, and wheels that drive me crazy. Drip........ drip.........drip..........drip.

It takes me longer to dry the car than to wash it.

RamAirV1

Boss_429
Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I like to flood rinse first to remove most of the water.

Then, using high quality, super soft WW towels, I lightly mist on some QD, or better yet, a good WIWO Spray Wax.

Then I spread the QD/Spray Wax with the WW towel, and lightly wipe dry... flipping the towel (or use another towel) just like I would if I was using the QD/Spray Wax alone.

PaBlkBrd
Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Water Magnet followed by blower.....works great

mbmont
Dec 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Slow rinse with water, then a waffle weave towel.

CAShine
Dec 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I use the water magnet for the paint and a water blade for the glass. Definately would like to get something to blow out the water from crevices.

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
:iagree:. I hate water in crevices as well. I dab as much out as I can, but a nice air pressure blower would be welcome.

Raymond
Dec 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I use the absorber, dragging it over the paint gently (not rubbing it in like a towel or something) to get most of the water out. Then I use a leaf blower (or a spirited drive around the block if I'm feeling lazy) to get the rest out of the tight places.

BINGO53
Dec 27th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Definately would like to get something to blow out the water from crevices.

10 Amp Toro corded leaf blower. Works like a champ!

Scout and me
Dec 28th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I purchased a refurbed electric leaf blower from the Black & Decker outlet store for $20. Then I shortened the nozzle to make it easier to get around the car to hit those nooks and crannies.

Joseph K
Dec 29th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Gotta love that water magnet... I dried my mom's whole car (Honda Accord) without even wringing it out :db:. I usually do the water magnet, then use a shop vac to get water out of all the areas it usually gathers (around windows, door handles, mirrors, grille/bumper, emblems, etc.).

d.mopar
Dec 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
i usually sheet off the water first, then ill use a supreme shine micro to get rest and if theres alot left ill folow up with water magnet. the absorber is great but watch out for swirls and scratches with it.;)

roushstage2
Dec 31st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Water Magnets and QD

the3dwizard
Dec 31st, 2007, 09:42 AM
Leaf blower followed by Meguiar's water magnet.

J-Man
Jan 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Any of you use newspaper to dry windows... I hear that works really well.
btw... whats sheeting? :confused:

BINGO53
Jan 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Any of you use newspaper to dry windows... I hear that works really well.
btw... whats sheeting? :confused:

I've tried crumpled newspaper on auto glass, its OK, but dedicated glass MF is far superior. The newspaper can scratch some aftermarket tints. However, newspaper on household glass such as sliding glass doors is very good.

To sheet water off a wax beading auto finish, hold the unnozzled garden hose parallel to surface. Let it gently sheet and flow off the car. You can remove a major portion of the water like that, and then follow up with water magnet and/or leaf blower.

J-Man
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
I've tried crumpled newspaper on auto glass, its OK, but dedicated glass MF is far superior. The newspaper can scratch some aftermarket tints. However, newspaper on household glass such as sliding glass doors is very good.

To sheet water off a wax beading auto finish, hold the unnozzled garden hose parallel to surface. Let it gently sheet and flow off the car. You can remove a major portion of the water like that, and then follow up with water magnet and/or leaf blower.
cool. thx man!

CarbonBlack
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Black Magic synthetic chamois
or a squeegee

b2bomber
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Microtex's Ultimate waffle-weave MF towel

EAT HEMI
Jan 16th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I use a slow flow from the hose then use some microfiber towels.

Ditto.

Best and easiest method IMO.

Silverado12
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I sheet the water off the finish, then follow up with a Meg's Microfiber drying towel and soak up the majority of the water. I finish with a water magnet or two and use the air compressor to blow remaining water out of all the little cracks and crevices to avoid drip marks.

Andy M.
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:46 PM
The Absorber followed by Megs Water Magnet here, after sheeting the water off of the car.

Andy
101impala

asim_296
Feb 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
since our dealer which is selling only supreme shine, I use the supreme shine for everything i got 10 towels and those cost alot

Heatgain
Mar 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
The Absorber followed by Megs Water Magnet here, after sheeting the water off of the car.
Andy
101impala

:iagree: 'Cept I use a regular MF to follow the Absorber.

David621
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Vroom MF Drying towel w/ the pat dry method :)

Sprzout
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:09 PM

Wish I could do that, but around here, we have water cops. If you wash your car without a spray nozzle on it (one that cuts off when you release the trigger, or one that you can't turn off without going to the spigot, well...You get a ticket for water wastage. Never mind the fact that I wash my cars on the lawn, so that it's watering it with the runoff...

Here's what I found to be the best of both worlds on that:

I was at Lowes the other day and found a sprayer that has all of these different types of sprays that you can go through. The best spray on this nozzle is a "soaker" sprayer. It's not quite as good as letting the water run out unfettered, but it gives it almost the same effect, so I get a nice sheeting. :)

I then follow up with an Absorber (I used to use a real chamois, until the dog found it and thought it was a rawhide chew toy, thus ending its usage), followed by QD and a MF towel to get any runs that I may have missed (this is only when I'm not claying/polishing/waxing; if I'm going to clay, I just go over it with the clay bar & QD, followed by the MF towel). It's worked for me for a few years now, and I'll keep doing it until something better comes along. :)

supercharged
May 2nd, 2008, 04:38 AM
the guzzler is what I use.

gb387
May 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Meguiars wate magnet and the SS drying towel.

czyride
Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I usually run a slow stream to get the major amount of water off then use an electric leaf blower to get the rest hitting the mirrors, rubber seals and spot drying as necessary with a mf towel or cotton towel

palettonev6
Jun 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I use Meguiar's Water Magnet Microfiber

Maserati Mario
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'll drive it down the block and back to get most of the water out of the rims, nooks and cranny's. Then take a chamois to it, and finaly wipe it down with Ultimate Detailer.

SSMUFF
Aug 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Not a water magent yet. I have the Wal-Mart blue drying towel. I need to pick up another drying towel since it seems to me that this one is losing its drying power.

mcox
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Wow! I'm glad I spent the time to read the other posts. Glad to know there are better ways to dry my truck then 75-80 mph down the highway. Of course for all our LE members, its never above the posted 70mph speed limit. :D Guess I should buy a water magnet.

ment
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:28 AM
microfibre drying towel for me :) say no to chamois

Malo83
Oct 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Wow! I'm glad I spent the time to read the other posts. Glad to know there are better ways to dry my truck then 75-80 mph down the highway. Of course for all our LE members, its never above the posted 70mph speed limit. :D Guess I should buy a water magnet.

Tried the highway method but came back with more dirt and dust on the car :furious1 had to rerinse the car, just sheet the car and dry with MF waffleweave and hit all the nooks and crannies with a leaf blower which works the best for me :xyxthumbs

Carfire
Oct 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I prefer a natural chamois, they work great and do not leave too many little beads behind, and then I follow up with a microfiber drying towel, but first I use a water blade.

Mr. Boogie
Dec 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
One of the answers to the poll should have allowed for Micro-fiber towels.

Tuck91
Jan 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I like to use 2 water magnets and then follow up with a Supreme Shine Microfiber

Carfire
Jan 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I use Meguiars Soft Touch Microfiber Chamoisx2
Then I go over again with Meguiars Water Magnet x2

CieraSL
Mar 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I used to use the absorber, but lately I've been using large microfiber drying towels.

MrWaxer
Mar 16th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Sheeting then Micro-Sheen drying towel!!

Mikejl
Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I prefer a natural chamois, they work great and do not leave too many little beads behind, and then I follow up with a microfiber drying towel, but first I use a water blade.

I use Meguiars Soft Touch Microfiber Chamoisx2
Then I go over again with Meguiars Water Magnet x2

:huh1

Mike

Ganesa
Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
I use the Meguiars Water Magnet, after water sheeting...
one is enough for a small car.. haven't tried drying it on two cars...

Tuck91
Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
:huh1

Mike
I think he stopped using the water blade because of it marring the paint.

bob6364
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
(: rebrosba ehT

foilr
May 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
I have been using Waffle Weaves and I just got the Absorber. I think I like it. We'll see how it holds up.

Cheers!

C30-Mike
May 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Leaf blower followed by waffle weave MF towel.

xantonin
May 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I have a water blade but it was too squeeky, so I stopped using it. It seemed kind of rough.

I'm thinking of buying either the Water Waffer or the MF Chamois.. not sure which though

Chop
May 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I use the absorber but don't use wipig motions any more. I'm liking the blotting drying more and more. Then follow up with a MF

dope92cc
May 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Running water and gravity to get it a little dryer, then a very plush microfiber.
I'm thinking about investing in an absorber .

Eddie6th
May 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
i see nobody here has a liking to chamois.I've been using them for 20years and havn't had any bother.i like the water magnet,though.

dope92cc
May 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'm not going to vote yet. I just picked up a water magnet & 2 extra SS towels at Academy.

Ganesa
May 25th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I think the water magnet would be enough for you especially if the car is well maintained and by using the water sheeting technique :]..

xantonin
May 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I had a real Chamois before.

I left it in a container I had from another imitation synthetic absorbent cloth for a few months. I opened it up and it was moldy and smelt like death and decay.

Horrible! The thing felt squishy gross was green and falling apart.

seth1066
Jul 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Nobody using the ShamWow?

Hoffmann21
Aug 14th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Sham wow! Parents surprised me with a package of 2. It takes most of the water off but leave a small amount of water behind it. Just wipe down with a towel and its dry.

Edit: I didn't even see the post above me about sham wows, I use it!

spyghost
Aug 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM
if the surface is properly waxed, drying with water is a good option. i always have two mf's with me. one for the first pass, and another for the second. after that its dry.

if you have access to an air compressor, it would always be a good option as well. provided the air coming out is also clean.

Mark Kleis
Sep 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
ShamWow is made with materials that are known to cause marring and light scratching on some automotive finishes. You should use them with extreme caution (if at all).

scottphys
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I've followed the advice found on this and other threads and have concluded it's best to use as little as possible that actually makes contact with the paint surface.

I always use a stream of water to sheet dry then use my leaf blower to remove the rest. I get some really weird looks from the neighbors, but I get fantastic results.

As a side note, when you do this, there's never a need to spend time afterwards cleaning the windows. They are cleaned and dried in the process and there's no streaking.

blackjack
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
what is a Water Magnet. Can some one let me know. Thanks

Calais
Oct 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM
what is a Water Magnet. Can some one let me know. Thanks
http://autodetailingsolutions.net/x2000.html

billinraleigh
Mar 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM
waffle weave, quick wax, then microfiber

Fly Bye
Mar 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
http://www.wise4living.com/hgblower/images/electric_leaf_blower.jpg

billinraleigh
Mar 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I like the notion of a leaf blower. It seems great for nooks and crannies, more energy left in my arm for a quick wax. Windows seem good too. If I do happen to further clean the windows, I use newspaper to wipe windows & I am happy with the results :xyxthumbs

CieraSL
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I used to use the absorber, but lately I've been using large microfiber drying towels.

Well, after having used both the Absorber and microfiber drying towels, I have mainly been using the Cobra Guzzler as of late. ***** up any remaining water like crazy, and if you remove most of the water by flooding the car, you can pick up the rest of the water without having to wring it out. It's really cool. :woot2

Fly Bye
Apr 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I have mainly been using the Cobra Guzzler as of late. ***** up any remaining water

It got censored :D

Fly Bye
Apr 18th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Well, after having used both the Absorber and microfiber drying towels, I have mainly been using the Cobra Guzzler as of late. REMOVES up any remaining water like crazy, and if you remove most of the water by flooding the car, you can pick up the rest of the water without having to wring it out. It's really cool. :woot2

fixed :chuckle1

Torx
Aug 29th, 2010, 06:56 AM
heres my method and its been working great.
would love to try a compressed air or blow dryer method, but would have to make sure the incoming air is filtered to keep dust and particles from force blowing onto your newly washed paint.

grab a regular towel, fold is longways, then throw it over the top of the roof, reach as far as you can and pull the towel slowly to the front, do the same with the other side of the roof. The towel should be kinda moist now, drape it long ways on the top of the hood, then slowly pull it down to the front of the car.

do the same for the sides except you pull up when you "Slap drape" the towel to the sides. Any leftover water beads get PAT DRIED with the same towel.

so essentially with my black car, theres no circular motions or wiping. to keep swirls and scratches away.

Dan Fisher
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Always use the Water Sheet method first, then Water Magnet hardly have to ring it out!!! Then use compressor with pistol grip end "in all nooks & cranies" pat dry any beads from the water blowin' out of areas never a problem of any runs of water or drips later!!!!! Works great for me for a while now!!!!

FinalTouchDetail
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I flood the car to make the water sheet off and then blot as much as I can with a waffle weave towel.

Whatever is left is gently wiped off with a waffle weave.

Shawn T.
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Now, I use the Absorber chased by a microfiber drying towel from Wal-Mart. Works really nicely.

BobbyG
Nov 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
None of the above.

I bought an electric leaf blower specifically for this purpose.

Regardless of how soft and smooth the towel is it's still in contact with the surface and under "some" pressure which in turn causes lines or swirls on the finish.

High speed air safely removes water droplets without the risk of inducing damage to the finish.

There will always be some water that needs to be absorbed using a Microfiber towel but 98% can be removed using a leaf blower.

STRIFE
Dec 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
bought 2 Toro leaf blowers for $20 each a few months ago at Home Depot. Used it to remove most of the water on the cars, dried the wheels good too...when I wash my floor mats...leaf blower work good too.

Use a thick shaggy MF to get the remaining water missed by the leaf blower....and apply a coat of UQW or UQD.