PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Wax Application Method?

Sydster
Dec 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Let me try this again. Sorry I had to re-post.

I was just wondering how most of you guys apply your LSP.

1. Even Coat Applicator Pad by Hand

2. Hi-Tech Applicator Pad by Hand

3. Extra Large 6" Diameter Applicator Pad By Hand (Marine RV Line)

4. Finishing Pad with a G100/PC

5. 10'-11" Orbital Polisher

6. Other

Take Care!

Syd

rusty bumper
Dec 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM
I prefer the G100, but I have been using the hand method more often of late.

G Force
Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Hello Sydster,

I use even pad applicators by hand.
I first apply DC 2. what type of applicator would be best as it needs to be worked in ?
I then apply GC liquid wax it's ok by hand.

Thanks

brickyardz
Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:22 AM
Since my recent purchase of a G100, I have been using it to apply wax rather than doing it by hand. Before the G100 I used an orbital buffer. It goes a lot quicker, is less work and puts a more even coat of wax on the paint IMO. I also prefer the 6" or 6.5" size since it seems to work better on the contours of a vehicle when you get away from the big flat surfaces like the hood, trunk and roof.

gb387
Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
PC7424 aka G100!

BINGO53
Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
If it is a full blown all out detail, taped and everything, I use the PC w/finishing pad. For a routine wash and wax, I apply by hand with Hi Tech Foam applicator then PC off with bonnet.

I have one vehicle that if I need to do ColorX, I apply with PC w/polishing pad. The Equinox I can machine apply w/o taping, the Saturn I cannot. Always remove with machine though.

roushstage2
Dec 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
With the exception of M66, by hand with a Hi Tech Pad.

angeloabbattista
Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Both #26 Paste and #21 by hand with Hi-Tech applicator pad. Call me old fashioned but it gives me a sense of safety, control and accuracy.
Most other polishes applied by machine.

Boss_429
Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
For the folks that are into the "two coats to insure complete coverage"... applying the first coat with a PC, and applying the second coat by hand is an excellent process.

Raymond
Dec 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I don't have a machine, so I'm forced to "prefer" the hand method, using Meguiars foam pads. Not sure what they are called though heh

dietoremain
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Finishing pad on the PC makes it so easy. screw those little foam pads takes too long! haha.

mbmont
Dec 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I like the time saved with the PC, plus it gives a nice thin coat and easier to remove.:bigups

rusty bumper
Dec 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I like the time saved with the PC, plus it gives a nice thin coat and easier to remove.:bigups

Hmmm....I can't say the same myself.

Whenever I apply a LSP with a G100 it tends to take forever to dry.

However, it dries much faster when applied with a Hi-Tech hand applicator.

Go figure.Scottwax1

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hmm... is there a chance the pad was oversaturated and not cleaned thoroughly? I don't see how once you apply a thin bead around the pad's perimeter, then "kiss the finish", spread the product out then work it in would result in difficult removal after normal 15 min dry swipe time. That's why I'm guessing too much product got saturated in the finishing pad.

rusty bumper
Dec 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hmm... is there a chance the pad was oversaturated and not cleaned thoroughly? I don't see how once you apply a thin bead around the pad's perimeter, then "kiss the finish", spread the product out then work it in would result in difficult removal after normal 15 min dry swipe time. That's why I'm guessing too much product got saturated in the finishing pad.

Not to my knowledge.

I only apply a thin bead (as you mentioned above) around the perimeter of the pad.

The W-9006 pads do tend to get a bit gummy feeling after so many detailings and they are hard to clean, as the LSP's tend to dry (on the pads) differently than the cleaners do.

Maybe I should press or wring the pad into a clean terry towel before storing it away for the next job?

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Yup, :iagree:, definately, that's what I was referring to, and I would give them a clean per car side before you're gonna apply to the other half. Plus, don't ziplock them air tight as that prevents them from drying properly. This will give you the ability to reclean them and scrape away any dryed wax before using again.

roushstage2
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hmmm....I can't say the same myself.

Whenever I apply a LSP with a G100 it tends to take forever to dry.

However, it dries much faster when applied with a Hi-Tech hand applicator.

Go figure.Scottwax1
That's why I still to hand app. as well.

rusty bumper
Jan 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
...Plus, don't ziplock them air tight as that prevents them from drying properly. This will give you the ability to reclean them and scrape away any dryed wax before using again.

Right.

I found that out the hard way and ruined one of those screw on type of pads Meguiars used to make.

The thing molded up pretty bad and ate up the foam.

rusty bumper
Jan 1st, 2008, 12:51 PM
That's why I still to hand app. as well.

So you've had this problem too?

Jimmy The Detailer
Jan 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Right.

I found that out the hard way and ruined one of those screw on type of pads Meguiars used to make.

The thing molded up pretty bad and ate up the foam.

Ouch RB! That stinks :-(

cv_soccer
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Depending on what I am doing determines what I do by hand or by my PC7424, and when I use the PC7424 there are many areas which must be done by hand. The PC7424 does save a lot of time, and IMHO applies a more consistent layer of protection but I remove product by hand as changing the MF bonnet take far too much time. :wavey

Silverado12
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
With my recent purchase of a G100, I'm lovin applying liquid wax via the finishing pad. It saves so much time on large vehicles and allows for such even coverage. For small vehicles, I'll use paste wax via a MF Even Coat Applicator .

9C1 MAN
Jan 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I use my g100 to apply wax/sealent and a mf bonnet on a 7006 pad to remove.

Daniel Kinder
Jan 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
hi-tech applicator with 2) coats of #26 or #16 by hand:bigups

J. A. Michaels
Mar 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
It all depends on how I am doing time wise. Most of the time I apply using the G 100. But once in a while I will do it by hand.

lascrew
May 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM
I **** using a polisher; for some reason. I'm hoping that I can get some better tips at this weekend's detailing class. So for the past 6 years, with this truck, I have done everything by hand.

Great results, but way too time consuming.

Actually, with any vehicle that I've own it's been by hand.

I tried a polisher once with my current truck and it was more work to remove the wax that it would have taken to apply & remove by hand.

EAT HEMI
May 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I love using the DA to apply wax - I'm significantly more consistent.

Sal329
Jul 10th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I prefer to use a PC I feel I can apply a more even coat nice and thin

acsuppa
Jul 13th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I always use my PC to apply wax. It gives me a thin, uniform layer every time. I also use it with a bonnet to remove the wax. Awesome results every time.

TimG
Jul 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Am a traditionalist. Always by hand. Just recently turned to DA on applying waxes/sealants and remove by hand (troublesome to use the MF bonnets). Faster and thinner coats. Saves me time to do other cars.

Tim

Markus Kleis
Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
On the plane I just finished tonight (Thank God, that was a long 3.5 days...) I used the G110 and OH MY was I thankful for that tool. I was applying the M21 2.0 late at night and it was very cold and damp out and experience tells me I *should* have had smearing issues given the conditions, but NOPE!

The G110 using BLACK S010 pads allowed me to uniformly and thinly spread out the M21 2.0 and the removal by hand via Supreme Shine Microfiber was a piece of cake! I also saved a ridiculous amount of time vs hand application considering the amount of paint I had to wax...

CharlesW
Dec 20th, 2008, 05:18 AM
The small yellow foam applicators do a great job of applying product, but I seem to manage to flip on across my garage regularly.
This applicator took care of that problem.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/GripApplicator.gif

SHYNEMAN123
Dec 20th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I was a Die Hard Hand applied for 25 years but now I love watching the shine jump off the paint with NXT and my P/C.7336

drumdan
Dec 26th, 2008, 10:48 AM
If it's a wax like #26, DC3, NXT I like the Hi Tech applicators. If I'm using a cleaner/wax, I prefer a terry cloth, or micro fiber covered pad.

Maserati Mario
Apr 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Other- I preffer to hire Superior Shine to apply my wax! ;)

dope92cc
Apr 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Tech foam pads
I love working by hand. Besides, I cant afford a PC or DA. Doesn't bother me I prefer kickin it ol school.

MrCLRider
Apr 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Other- I preffer to hire Superior Shine to apply my wax! ;)

thats awesome!!!

roger 668
Apr 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM
For the sake of time and the health of the shouders the DA is the choice.

dope92cc
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/GripApplicator.gif
that's pretty cool. My brother really needs one. I have never seen anyone drop an applicator so many times.
I never drop car care products.

Where did you get that from?

Ganesa
May 10th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I like to use a hi tech applicator pad.. i think of it as a little work out, and i have better control of where the wax is going ;]

dope92cc
Jul 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not lost in the last few decades anymore.
I got a G110 and 2 bottles of liquid tech wax and had a bottle of gold class laying around.

Of course I'll need the hand applicators for edges and other tight areas.

Calais
Nov 20th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I apply with Pinnacle foam pads, sorry Meguiar's. :nervous1

scottphys
Jan 8th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Just got a G110 in October...how did I ever wax without it????

hemi
Feb 27th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I apply panel by panel first hit the tight areas around mirrors or edges by hand,then finish off the large areas with the G100. Scottwax2