PDA

View Full Version : Have you been always using Meguiar's and why?

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I'm a Car Crazy Meguiar's junkie, and believe, based on research from various forums and using a couple of other brands in the past, that Meguiar's in my opinion has got the whole package (product line, community, longevity and service). It's always been Meguiar's for me. However, there are some of you who have been converted after swearing loyalty to, or simply used, one brand and or product(s). So, from which one(s) and why?

Ryan L.
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM
When I first started out when I was about 10 years old (now 16) I used to just use what ever my dad had. Then I started getting stuff from Auto-Zone and Wal-Mart, but it was still Armor All, Turtle Wax and Black Magic. Then once I did the Meguiar's RX thing on their website I started using Meguiar's because thats all the "prescription" called for. Then I found the forum and I still use Meguiar's and pretty much all Meguiar's.

Why?
In my opinion there isn't one single car car prodcut company out there that has the same features as Meguiar's:
1. An online forum that's family friendly and will help you answer almost any question and we all have a good time. It's always nice to spend time on here.
2. A product line that includes almost any thing you need for car detailing, from accessories to actual products.
a. Every product in their lines works great and is reasonably priced (almost to cheap for what you get)
b. Every product works well with one another
c. Every product has a pleasant smell and great appearance (bottles)
3. A customer care team that actually does care and wants to help you out and solve that shipping issue or what not
4. A open garage that is open almost every weekend and through many months during the week to get help and just hang out.

If you can find another company that has those features, I'll switch to them, but I haven't even seen a company come close to the way Meguiar's does things!!

Great job Meguiar's!!!

Ryan

CharlesW
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I didn't vote because I haven't really switched to/from any products exclusively. I have used and still use several Meguiar's products and overall, I have been happy with the results. A typical detail for a friend will be done with #80 and NXT Tech Wax and then I give them the NXT in the hope they will use it once in a while.
For many years, I used mostly Meguiar's products with a few 3M products mixed in at times. I used the Medallion Premium Paint Protection for over ten years.
I would probably never have strayed from the Meguiar's ranks had I not found out that there were products that didn't leave white residue on textured plastic trim. That one thing is probably the only complaint I have had with Meguiar's.
I don't have any luck with #7, but everyone tells me that's an operator problem so I don't really blame Meguiar's for that. :D

G Force
Dec 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I had used many brands until i tried my first Meguiar's product,GC liquid wax.:bow

J. A. Michaels
Dec 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I have been doing my vehicles for to long to remember. At first it was whatever is on sale. (I know that its bad to say). Then in the early 90's I tried mostly Armor all. Was not satisfied. P{layed around with other waxes, still not satisfied. I then found Meguiars. Its by far the best brand out there.

When you factor everything in how can you beat Meguiars.
1. Price
2. Product for all situations.
3. this fabulous forum.
4.Customer care and support.
5.prescription rx.
6. The fact that imho they really care and the longevity of the company.

These are just some of the reasons Meguiars has a customer for life in me. Keep up the great work.

jfelbab
Dec 24th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I first learned about Meguiars from my father. I'm goIng to be 65 next month and dad taught me about Meguiar's when I was about 15. So I've been using Meguiar's products for 50 years. No regrets. Never had an issue that was not resolved to my total satisfaction.

My two sons are now 100% Meguiar's users as well. What goes around comes around.

saturn2
Dec 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM
2. A product line that includes almost any thing you need for car detailing, from accessories to actual products.
a. Every product in their lines works great and is reasonably priced (almost to cheap for what you get)

I agree with the above statement but, may I add that besides the good smell it's also good to know that it's safe to be around.
D.) They know what a polish really is + they offer a glaze.
E.) When megs comes out with a product you can trust that it will work well.
F.) I love the different lines of product inside Megs itself It's the main reason why I moved from Mothers.
G.) They educate the people who use this stuff this forum is just the latest attempt to do so.

johnd651
Dec 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM
i used to be a man of the turtle..but then i was reborn and found meguiars
all hail meguiars
i love meguiars

CWM3
Dec 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Although I use Meguiars almost exclusively I still use other products as they work for me and I like the results that they give.

For the price and results though....I have not seen anything come close to Meguiars. Throw in the customer service and product support and the alternatives just don't stack up.

Of course, I doubt many posters will hate on Meguiars on this forum.

AeroCleanse
Dec 28th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I haven't used any yet, but I have some ready to go. I still have stuff from rightlook.com, but having a forum to share with other people is a major plus of Meg's.

Nappers
Dec 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM
In the dark ages, dish soap, old beach towel to dry, turtle wax and wiped off with another old beach towel and in the sun!!

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS, RUNNING WITH SCISSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thought I had one sweet ride!!!

Now it's the proper 5 step, although not totally swirl free, looks good none the less.

Aaron

VonLego
Dec 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I was gifted some armor all interior stuff for my interior, and used a mothers clay bar due to it being the only one sold (same for some soft top protectant). Other than that 100% meguiars from day one! Honestly not sure how I first found this place... think I just started researching car cleaning products and found it! Google = friend.

From day one of making the choice to give my car the TLC it deserves I have never purchased anything other than meguiars unless no meguiars product is offered.

Heatgain
Dec 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM
For years I used nothing. A self-service car wash every now and then. Scrubbed it nice and clean with that abrasive, muck-filled foaming brush. Then I bought a new car in March 2007, nice and shiny. I kept it nice and clean by having it washed weekly. Yep, spinning nylon brushes scraping my car, brightly hued soap, strips of undulating carpet-like material slapping my car clean...what did I know of swirls?
In October 2007, it took a week, but I cleaned out my overflowing garage. While throwing out all sorts of decades-old stuff, I found an old can of Turtle Wax and put it back in the garage. Hmmmm, I thought, maybe I'll use it to wax my car when the dealer's protectant wears off some day.
Around 2-3 weeks ago, I got industrious and decided to wax my car. Had it washed in the good old scraping slapping car wash. But I didn't know if the 23 year-old Turtle wax I kept was still OK to use. So I got on the Internet and googled "Car Wax". 10,000,000 hits, of course. I read and read and cruised tons of sites and forums. Well, found Meguiar's, found this forum, read post after post, and ran outside in a panic to see if I had swirls. Omigod!! Swirls galore on my new car! What hath I wrought?
I went to Walmart to buy Swirl-X, and saw and bought that Meguiar's 7 Car Care kit. Then I went to a Parts store and bought Meguiar's Smooth Clay Kit. I clayed the hood of my car, Swirl-Xed it (not too well), and Nxt waxed. Hooked!! Shiny, smooth like glass, protected, but, look close enough, at the right angle, swirl city.
Now I'm waiting for delivery of my G100 kit, #80 speed glaze, pads, etc, bought another box of the Meguiar's car care kit. I spray and wipe Quick Interior Detailer while waiting at red lights. So I guess you could say I've always used Meguiar's, even if I only started on the Path to Enlightenment (or OCD) 2 weeks ago.

Jimmy The Detailer
Dec 29th, 2007, 04:39 AM
haha you definitely exhibit the common symptoms associated with Obsessive Car Detailing disorder, and no, there is no cure. You have enlightenment reached, and ready for g100 you are. May the Meguiar's be with you. LOL.

MexMick
Dec 29th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I had two cars before I even had a license. First was a MINI that I bought when I was 15. I used to wash it now and again with washing-up liquid and never dried it. I only used it to learn how to drive and race around a field! Good times!!! I still hold the track record! Bought a black mx-3 when I was 17 and set about getting my license. It took a long time to save for the car and it was cool and sporty so obviously I wanted it to look its best. After my meticulous washing job with Fairy liquid and the sponge out of the bathrom I was surprised the car looked bad so I seeked out some advice from my father. I like to call it 'miss guided love''. I was given a bottle of MrSheen furniture polish spray stuff :eek: It was like mixing up a bottle of UQD with All Season Dressing!!!!

I went from there to using the best polish the auto shop sold. Wonder Colour. I didnt like it at all. My biggest problem looking back was I wasnt sure how to use it properly. Left white residue everywhere too and that was really annoying. Got some tcut black polish then, i loved this stuff:o

Ny car looked great.............maybe not! But I thought it did at the time.
I got hooked on car shows and wanted to compete so after getting a full custom colour re-spray I really wanted to keep the car looking its best. The sprayer gave me a bottle of Meguiars Medallion Premium paint protectant. Im not 100% on the name, sorry. I loved it and started to read up on Meguiars. Been using there products ever since and I cant see me ever changing for my cars paint needs. Ive built p quite an arsenal of Megs now that it is more readily available. I will post some pics in the breakroom soon.

With regards to other products ive tried lots and even the ones that are good are not quite as good as the meguiars equivalent. With Meguiars you get so much more though and I think ultimately thats what will always bring me back. Its not just a product sitting on a counter, there are real people who care behind it and readily available to answer any possible question you may have. I do use Autoglym glass polish and think it is a brilliant product. Its so easy and does a great job. I apply it using a megs applicaor pad, leave for ten minutes and wipe off with a microfibre. Thats it, simple as. I would hope that sometime in the future Megs will make a similar product.

Sorry for the rant, got a bit carried away i thinnk !

brianshaeffer
Dec 29th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I've been using Meguiars products since they started showing up in Western PA stores in 1981. Before that, I mostly used Astroshield, which is still available. Until UQD, I've never seen a product bead water as well as Astroshield.

Anyway, over the years I have tried a few products from other manufacturers, mainly Mothers, Eagle One, and Turtle Wax, but now I pretty much don't waste my time with others.

2KLS1
Dec 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Honestly I don't have brand loyalty. I have a handful of different products from different manufacturers and provably always will. I just get whatever product works well for me and buy it from whoever sells it the cheapest. ;)

Michael Stoops
Dec 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Back in the day my friends and I used whatever we could find at the auto parts store. This was back in the late '70s/early '80s so things like Rain Dance were really big. I then had a long string of company cars so I didn't really worry too much about them.

When I bought my BMW 318i (E30 variant) I started using the Deep Crystal line and really liked it. I continued using this with my next few cars but when I got my PT Turbo I decided to look into something a little "higher end". I ended up going with Zaino and I have to say that, up to that point, it gave me the best results I had ever seen. But that needs to be qualified a bit: I had never used a clay bar before then, and as I look back on things my technique with the DC line was less than stellar. Too much of the wipe on/wipe off mentality. I really wanted to step things up and get a DA polisher, and I was spending a fair amount of time over at Autopia's forum then, but I had heard about Meguiar's Saturday clinics. So I contacted Mike Phillips and set up a clinic for Autopia members. I had been experimenting with some different products at this point - Sonus, Menzerna, Pinnacle - but just didn't get the feeling I was achieving all I could, or should.

At the Meguiar's clinic Mike showed me how to properly use the DA, and I learned a TON of really good info. So I picked up some M80 and some W8006 pads and the rest is history. I finally getting results, and I started going to the (at the time) Wednesday Night open garage sessions, learning even more. I also started to get the feeling that the whole Meguiar's organization valued me as a customer more than any other company I had ever dealt with. And I don't mean just car care products. This is the most customer-centric organization I've ever dealt with. ProFlowers.com comes in a close second, but Meguiar's pulls out all the stops. The fact that their products just plain work doesn't hurt either!

So now, yeah, I'm pretty much a 100% Meguiar's guy.

Ticman
Dec 29th, 2007, 05:05 PM
When I first started out when I was about 10 years old (now 16) I used to just use what ever my dad had. Then I started getting stuff from Auto-Zone and Wal-Mart, but it was still Armor All, Turtle Wax and Black Magic. Then once I did the Meguiar's RX thing on their website I started using Meguiar's because thats all the "prescription" called for. Then I found the forum and I still use Meguiar's and pretty much all Meguiar's.

Why?
In my opinion there isn't one single car car prodcut company out there that has the same features as Meguiar's:
1. An online forum that's family friendly and will help you answer almost any question and we all have a good time. It's always nice to spend time on here.
3. A customer care team that actually does care and wants to help you out and solve that shipping issue or what not
4. A open garage that is open almost every weekend and through many months during the week to get help and just hang out.

If you can find another company that has those features, I'll switch to them, but I haven't even seen a company come close to the way Meguiar's does things!!

Great job Meguiar's!!!

Ryan

:iagree::iagree:

Very well put Ryan!!

My Dad always used Meguiar's in his body and detail shop. I have used Megs products for about 40 years and if they give the results you want why change now? LOL!! You always know what to expect and if you have a problem you can get help very quickly, by phone or forum.

Tic

Lydia
Dec 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Ever since I was a kid, my Dad always taught me that cars need to be waxed (and he understood clear coats need to be waxed). Once or twice a year, we would pull the van into the shade, wash it with Dawn or Simple Green in one gallon of water using an old sponge (and I'm one who tends to think if some is good, more should be better so I would put a lot of Dawn or Simple Green in the water), dry it with bath towels, and slap on a coat of Turtle Wax. My Dad would help me out with it because once I put the TW on (wayyy too thick), it was too hard for me to get off. I got to hand it to Dad though. At least he taught me to take care of cars' paint. Then one day I was cleaning up someone's Gold Wing for them. I needed something to put on the seat, so I went to Walmart. It was either Mother's leather stuff, or some leather cleaner/conditioner with a funny sounding name (Megee-ers? Megwee-ers? Meg-u-wee-ers?). I chose the stuff with the funny sounding name. That's how I heard of Meguiar's in the first place. Then one day my sister showed me the RX car care thing. I did that and then went to this forum. The rest is history. I bought ScratchX, DC #1, #2, and #3, and did my sister's car (I can't recall for sure why I did my sister's car...I'm pretty sure when I was filling out the RX thing, I was filling it out for my truck, but I didn't do my truck until months later). I ScratchXed most of my sister's Mazda 626, then used DC #1 on most of it (yeah, even the stuff I'd ScratchXed), DC #2 on some of it (I was getting tired), and DC #3 on all of it over a two day span. I gotta say it looked pretty sweet. Now my sisters borrow my stuff to do their cars, and my Dad is starting to use Meguiar's too. He uses QD on his bike all the time (rarely washes it now even!), and I got him to get one of the Ultimate Kits because I'm trying to get him hooked on UQD. He's also hooked on Hot Rims Aluminum and Mag Polish, because it did such a good job on his bike's rims (he didn't even think they would shine up at all!). Then last week I used PlastX with the G100 (and three inch pads) on the windshield on his bike (which was pretty scratched and hazed...was being the key word), and put NXT 2.0 on top. He loved it.

Sorry for the long story...you asked!! (Ok, so maybe you didn't ask for that long of an answer). And yes I mainly use Meg's now. I use a Mother's Power Ball, and I think the rest is all Meg's.

MoJam
Dec 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I started out using turtle wax and armour- all because that's what my dad used. I didn't like the results. No matter how much I buffed(by hand) the paint was still smeary-looking and the vinyl was all greasy.
I decided to try something different after buying an '88 Ford Bronco II back in '93.
'nuff said
Meg's all the way! :bow

MBA-J
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I bought a brand new 2002 Honda Accord back in 2001, and the detailer used all Megs products when performing the new car detail. Although I was hooked, being the inquisitive consumer that I am, I decided to try out other products.

My brother is a BMW connoisseur, being the owner of both a e30 M3 and a e34 M5. He uses Zymol cleaner wax and The Wax Shop Slick Stuff spray detailer with amazing results. However, in attempt to out shine him, I went on the product hunt.

The first wax I used was a Black Magic product, and I wasn't thrilled with the durability of this product. After that, I used the Eagle One product with similar results. Nevertheless, I thought I'd hit the jackpot with Turtle Wax Ice liquid wax, but their "liquid clay bar" wasn't up to snuff, and by this time, I'd become hooked on the Meguiars Hot Shine tire dressing.

After looking to get consistent results, I went all-Meguiar's when I purchased the Quick Clay, DC1, DC2, and original NXT. Nirvana! Then I found an old bottle of #6 that the Honda dealer had given me, and went to town on my Honda Passport! Great work!

Now I'm a Gold Class wash, Quick Clay, ScratchX/DC1, #7/DC2, NXT/2.0/#6, UQD/NXT Insane Shine/#40/Hot Shine product using fool!

I must admit that I'm still impressed by the Ice spray detailer, but the UQD results I've achieved at the same price point will prompt me to use UQD exclusively from now on.

Admittedly, the help I've received here on the Megs forums is further encouragement for me to fully support the brand.

Thanks folks!

thecarguy
Mar 30th, 2008, 08:31 AM
The first products that I ever used were called Pro . That is what the owner of the first detail shop that I worked at used . When I became the detail shop manager for a local car dealership , I switched to Auto Glym . I used it for years , even after I left the car dealer and started my own shop . Then I started to get sinus troubles and nose bleeds every time I used the products . I had been using them for 12 years and started to feel crappy after I used the products . I then switched to 3M for a short while , then Mothers . I now use a combination that seems to give me good results . I use Norton Liquid Ice for any cutting with the rotary and use my new favorite , NXT for the final . If my parts house would ever start carrying more Megs product , I would switch over fully .

I also used to use Liquid Glass as my final finish , that stuff was great .

Raymond
Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
I used to use more products from Turtle Wax, but also had some from Mothers, Eagle 1, and Black Magic.

The first Meguiars product I purchased and used was Gold Class liquid wax, and now I'd say 95% of my detailing supplies are Meguiars products. I have yet to buy a Meguiars product that didn't 100% satisfy what I needed it for. Can't say the same for the other brands.

Brents Classic Custom Detail
Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
WE HAVE SEEN OTHER BRANDS THAT WERE USED ON OTHER CARS:eek:. MEGUIARS HAS OUT PREFORMED THEM 2-1, HANDS DOWN. IT IS WHAT MAKES THIS SHOP SO WELL LIKED. WE WILL NEVER USE ANOTHER BRAND!

CarbonBlack
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I use mostly meguiars, but I have other brands as well.
I use the "cheap" stuff on freebie details (friends, extended family, neighbors)
The good stuff I selfishly save for the details that matter:laughing (MY STUFF, paying customers, etc).

If I had to only use one brand I would undoubtedly pick Meguiars, because it is superior in quality, relatively cheap for what you get, the Meguiar's family/support is second to none, and it smells great.

There are some non meguiars products I really like
but I can't count 100% of those companies products.

Meguiars is best

-nick

sneek
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I have been around the block. Started with Turtle and Mothers. Meguair's came into the equation with word of mouth. Started using Meguair's in maybe 2005 ish. Probably just around the time I joined this forum. I was lured away by lots of products, Optimum, Menzerna, Blackfire, 1Z...etc, list goes on. One thing I have learned is Meguiar's consistently delivers.

[Flame Suit on] I used optimum for a while, no dusting and lots of lube is nice, but the finishing ability on darker colours just isnt there. The clarity just isn't as nice as some other polishes. Menzerna...It has tons and tons of clarity, but finicky if it is too hot or too cold. I don't want to have to check the weather report before polishing my car. It gets in the way. I want a product to do its job when I need the job done. I still love their finishing polish...but now I am lost by all the numbers and such! Blackfire was a bit better than Menzerna IMO because it dusted a bit less, but quite expensive. 1Z was a gooder for a while, but tends to be finicky as well, it is well priced, and does it's job...but sometimes the dusting kills you
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_0320.jpg plus It smells like you are inhaling gas.

I am not saying Meguiar's has a perfect line up. I never really liked NXT...I wished Gold Class had more durability. I wish M21 V1 was more stable. I wish M83 could be used with more aggressive pads without dusting. Here is where I am sold on Meguiar's. It delivers 98% of the time, being pretty consistant with results. M83 still would **** working in the sun though. The price is very good, side by side Meguiar's keeps up with the best of them. It doesn't need to be hyped, it is almost underrated. The CS is probably second to none. Let's just say there is a good reason this company has been around for 100+ years, they deliver on their claims, they keep up with R&D, and they create products that aren't just all hype. That is how you do good business. :)

Mosca
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
If no one minds my adding an essay to an older post, I'd like to add my $.02.

I started serious detailing about 7 years ago. I was what you might call an "attitude guy"; I had the Pinnacle Souveran, and some Menzerna polishes, and my PC7424, and some microfiber towels. I thought I was really the cat's pajamas. I had this whole thing figured out; THIS wax was better than THAT wax, THIS product was better because you had to get it over the internet, THAT product stinks because it's commonly available... yeah, I had it all figured out.

Then I decided that I was going to find out what all the differences were, between and among all the products that were out there. I thought about it for a while, trying to figure out how to relate things. If someone were to do a comprehensive review and analysis of all the products, the first thing someone needs is a baseline, right? I mean, what product, or product line, could serve as the standard, so that I could say that something is better or worse compared to it? I decided that Meguiar's was the most comprehensive product line. I could say that something was as good as, or better, or not as good as, Meguiar's, and everyone would understand. So, I decided to buy a few Meguiar's products and see what happened.

Maybe it was just luck... maybe it was fate. But the very first Meguiar's product I tried on my Classic Red Miata was #26 High Tech Yellow Wax. I got it cheap, too; maybe $5 for the can. Later on I would get 5 cans for $5. But whatever. The price is important because I was really married to that $70 can of Pinnacle Souveran. Like I said, I was the guy, I was the man, I was the one with the perfect shine!

The #26 just walked all over that Souveran. Souv is great. It smells great; it goes on easy and comes off smooth. It looks great. But #26 looked deeper, wetter, and more reflective. It was obvious. And I started laughing. I was laughing at myself, because right then and there, I knew. I knew that quality isn't in the price. It is in the product. And that I was making a mistake in trusting others' opinions; there is only one opinion that matters to me, and that is MINE.

What happened, as I worked my way through the Meguiar's line, is that I got results. That was all that mattered. The idea of trying all the other products fell by the wayside. Other products became irrelevant. I became comfortable with the actions of the products I knew best, the ones in the brown bottles. As I expanded from the PC to the rotary, I stayed with the products that I knew were predictable, that would give me the results I expected. After accumulating a collection of pads from many different manufacturers, about 5 years ago I went 100% Meg's. It's simpler; only 3 colors to remember.

Recently, for a number of reasons I had to dial back my detailing fanaticism, and I discovered the beauty of the Consumer Line. For the guy who has a car in near-new condition and who wants to maintain it in as little time as possible, products such as A12 Cleaner Wax, Color X, Gold Class and NXT are PERFECT. It's all about controlling touches and controlling swirl buildup. The Professional and Detailer lines have nothing on the Consumer line; and in many ways, the Consumer line is the better choice for, well... a consumer. You can keep you car looking great and well protected without ordering through the internet... you can do it with the stuff off the shelf from Peps.

Sure, other stuff works, and works well. It's hardly true that all Meg's cars look great, and all other cars look bad, after all! But I can depend on the name that I've come to trust, I can depend on the results I get from Meguiar's. And the only opinion that matters to me, is mine.

keesue
Jun 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I started with Meguiar's with my first new car many years ago. All the old schoolers used the line. I left the hobby of detailing as time and priorities changed. I recently returned with the purchase of my Yaris. I took the recommendation of the Yaris owner's site and tried Turtlewax ICE. I wasn't happy with the constant application, even though it was simple.

I stumbled on to one of the other detailing forums and took a tour of the boutique products popular with the crowd. Then I found MOL, bought the Meguiar's professional line and have stayed put ever since. I found the boutique products to perform well but I find the performance of Meguiar's to be predictable, cost-effective and most important, visually satisfying. I'm now stuck with the 'boutique products' but what the heck, its just a hobby. I use them to polish my bicycles and my friends bikes as well. We have the cleanest road and off road bikes around. :chuckle1

I just used NXT 2.0 paste for the first time and the finish is pristine. I have in my arsenal #83, #80, #26 and tins of #16/#26, some #20/#21 and most of the detailer line for cleaning and maintenance tasks. My favorite 'sleeper' product is Xpress Wax. Easy to use and keeps the foundation 'up to snuff' in between full details.

Like Justin, I simply returned home. :D

SHYNEMAN123
Jul 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I Have Been Using Meguiar's For 28 Years And Am Very Greatful For What I Have Learned From Them And All The Friends I Have Made From Detailing. The Only Time I Have Strayed Is When It Comes To There Compounds. I Hate To Say It But I Have Had Better Results With 3m But Everything Else Is Meguiar's All The Way. I Have Tested #1 #2 #4 #84 #85 And # 105 On All Types Of Finishes And Side By Side 3m Super Duty,micro Finish And Extra Cut 06060 Cut Faster With Less Dusting And Give Better Clairty Of The Paint Before Polishing And I Have Never Used A Better Polish Than Meguiar's Other Than A Briff Issue With #9 Years Ago

Sorry Guys Just Being Honest

I Am Keeping The Faith That Some Day I Will Send 3m Packing And Will Continue To Keep Testing.

new2detailing
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I have tried numerous different products on details in the past. I do not I am talking out of school here, to say that there are many nice products out there besides Meguiars. With that said, I focus primarily on Meguiars due to the inherent value of their products compared to more expensive brands, an excellent online community, and superb customer service.

3Fitty
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Wow... I just read this entire thread and am amazed at some of the great stories. In particular... Mike Stoops and Mosca... great posts guys! I think Mike might want to venture over to that other forum and set up another clinic... they seem to have forgotten! LOL

Mosca... I think everyone can serve to learn a lot from your post. Great info dude!

For me... I got my first car when I just turned 18. I remember going to the dealership body shop and asking one of the guys "what is the best wax I can use on my new car", to which he replied... "Meguiars".

So that was back in 1990 and I started using Meg's. Like Mike Stoops wrote, initially my technique left a lot to be desired and while I've improved, I'm sure I still have much to learn from the pros. However, in the 18 years since, I've tried every OTC competitor to Megs and many boutique brands.

The one thing I have truly noticed is that the boutique brands consistently outperform Meguiars in terms of price! LOL Why buy some NXT 2.0, when I can get some Vintage for two grand!!! ;)

All kidding aside, I'm sure there are plenty of competent products out there that do what they are intended to do, but in my 18 years of car care (as a hobby), I have never seen products that consistently perform the way Meguiar's does. Meg's is not the only stuff in my arsenal, but accounts for about 98% of my products and that works for me.

davidadavila
Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
what got me into this..is the man himself......his energy , his carisma, you can tell that he is a great guy.....if he sold crack i would be a crackhead....love the guy and also the products are awsome, i can detail my cars whenever i want as many times as i want without burning a hole in my pocket like other products.....please foward this to the man........

scottphys
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Not always. When I was in High School, some big mouth, hot shot, know-it-all kept talking about Meguiars. I had been using Turtle Wax and dishwashing liquid at the time on my 1969 Plymouth VIP. Well turns out this know-it-all knew something! Since then I have only veered away from Meguiars for those "promise the moon" products. Guess what, they never worked like Meguirs. So now that I'm in my 40s and a bit smarter, I have learned my lesson and will never, ever use anything but Meguirs again. Anything else is snake oil!

TimG
Nov 19th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I started like any other kids in my neighbourhood. We reached for OTC products like Soft99, Armor All, TurtleWax, Amway, etc. Not really knowing things like wax, polish, rubbing compound, cleaner wax, - we just grab what people are talking about and tried them out.

As a kid, I always had an itch to clean cars; I just hated dirty cars, all my family's car are cleaned by me. So working primarily on single stage cars, I tried so many products and wasted so much money and I always ended up not being satisfied. I remember a period of time where I painted my corolla black and used a cleaner wax (soft99) and thought it was great - getting uneven patches and rubbing marks from rags being used to polish the paint. Swirls were also thought to be a normal thing :chuckle1

The worse part, I didnt know where to get help. Yes, instruction on the back did gave me some help but things like MF, QDs, claying, RBs, DAs were unknown to me.

All those products were not giving me satisfactory results. I knew the brand Meguiars since 2005 but did not really focused on them. Autoglym, TurtleWax and Zymol was always popular around the car wash companies around here but I always get more satisfaction from cleaning my own car rather than sending it to them.

Long story short, after 10years of finding the best product, here I am. What more can you ask; great quality products, great support and I got the chance to get to know more people especially in MOL. :xyxthumbs

Maybe my addiction in detailing cars can be turned into a career. :D

asim_296
Nov 19th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I use only meguiars products because I'm learning detailing in the forum so I have loyalty to Meguiar's.

:bow Meguiar's

Megafast13
Jan 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
I only use Meguiar's.

I used to use:
-Armor All
-Eagle One
-Turtle Wax
-Mothers

Tuck91
Jan 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
95% of my detailing products are Meguiars.

In late 2006 i tried Gold Class Wash, quik detailer, and #26.

Thats when i did some researching on the computer and found the Meguiars website, after that i started buying more Meguiars products to maintain our personal vechiles

christian6984
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I would say alot of my products are Meguiars (with good reason, they do exactly what they say and have always impressed me), but i used to use Autoglym which is probably the widest and most common products and very easily available in England. Autoglym was used as Meguiars is still probably considered relatively new over here but i do think its expanding. I am always into testing other products just to compare and see what innovations are taking place. I Recently used 3M Fast Cut + before #105 exsisted and it performed outstandingly. We are expecting #205 over here soon and some of the pro's on Detailing World have sample already and looks to be keen competition for the likes of 3M and Menzerna. Some product dissapointment have been Black Wow for me, the tyre dye is very good but the trim dye is to be said much less than this, this is the next product i am going to try for trim (which has proved to last beyond 6 months in testing), another of intrest to me is Zaino ZFX which allows multiple layers to be applied very quickly in ideal conditions.
Gtechnique C4:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69525

Honda Fit
Apr 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM
I was never really into detailing until I attended my first Meguiar's class, so I didn't really use any products except for Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash.

But ever since this man drew on my car back in 2004 it's been Meguiar's for life!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SVongkasem/IMG_1321.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SVongkasem/IMG_1333.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SVongkasem/a4df69c9.jpg

pcunite
Jun 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM
About 15 years ago (1994) I was introduced to a product named Dri Wash 'n Guard. At the time I thought it was amazing as I had never seen a car shined before anyway. I was told by the various distributors that it was superior to everything, that companies like Meguiar's were sub-par and much more costly and having been around for so long were old school, yadd yadda.

Well one day I went looking for something easier to use. This is an important point! I did not know how good of a shine I was missing out on... I was just tired of the effort it takes to apply and remove Dri Wash 'n Guard.

I stumbled across Mike Phillips 5 step technique. I checked the prices of Mequiar's products and found them to be much cheaper than what I was spending. I thought I would give it a try with his instructions being so exact and all and how maintaince would be easier.

I was shocked! Just using Mike Phillips technique on my car (around 2006 on a Cadillac Deville DHS) was shinier than Dri Wash 'n Guard and I had not even applied M21 yet! I was thrilled and a bit miffed at all those muti-level marketing souls robbing me of greater happiness for the last 15 years!

Now it is easier to get my car looking wonderful. It is extremely slick with m21 applied such that my wife commented on how she likes the feel of the paint. I am very pleased with how Mequiars takes the time to educate us on technique and also makes a great product as well.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6453/cadillacc.jpg

Eddie6th
Jun 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I voted 'others'

Years ago I used to use Autoglym,untill I discovered Meguiar's.

Meguiar's only started getting popular in europe,about 8 years ago.

I think Autoglym is probably more well known in europe still today.

Anyway,I stick with Meg's,only substituting when there is something that I can't get a hold of.

dope92cc
Jul 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I used to use ICE for waxing, BM titanium on tires, A2Z on wheels, and TW platinum + sponge for washing, and a ride on the freeway to dry it off(hey, it's better than inducing more swirls) then instant detailer for the rest of the water.

Look at me now. Using lambswool, 2 buckets, 3 water magnets(so far), multiple wheel brushes, over 2 dozen MFs(not for paint use), a dozen supreme shines, about a dozen foam hand applicators, 4 round and 2 rectangle even coats, and a G110 and 4 2.0 pads.
I wash EVERYTHING after every use, sometimes even the stuff I didn't use.

I also have about everything from consumer line except scratchX 2.0, swirlX, hot shine gel, 2 step leather care, odor eliminator, quik out, NXT glass, Hot rims chrome, hot shine chrome, and quik wax.

All d-line and mirror glaze I have is APC+, 105, 205, M40, M02.

I'd say Mike Phillips' 2 bucket video really got me into proper detailing.
So I became a completely obsessive detailer/meg's user in less then half a year.

speed3blackmica
Dec 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
i use meguiars because its the only thing that works ! everytime i try another companys product, i think it works great, until i try the same product for meguiars, it works 10 times better !

dave_from_here
Dec 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM
I must admit that I've used other products like mother's, 3M, car brite, farecla and, more recently, poorboy's but I keep coming back to meg.

swampkatt
Dec 31st, 2009, 08:47 PM
my dad and i keep a wide array of the products we use, the main being meguiars. nobody can beat the quality of meguiars, not even mothers with chip's endorsements. armor all has always been the "bargain" brand, look they dont even offer a real wax. black magic is just plain weird, and some of their marketing campaigns are foohy. meguiars offers support, a vital thing in todays world of do it yourselfers, giving them the edge over mothers, plus mothers bases most of their products off of carnauba, which doesnt appeal to everyone. so, meguiars is #1 overall to me, although we keep a variety.

tiresmokindad
Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
I also use ICE for waxing. I think it is good to do it. I find it nICE. :hotrod2

wifpd4
Jun 4th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I got the car and my wife threatened me. Don't remember if she said, "you paid that much for a car...take care of it" or "take care of it...or I'll drive it". I think the later scared me. So I Google'd car care and went to Meguiar's and filled out the questionnaire that provides car care information based on your specific car, your level of concern for the finish and local environmental conditions. Got great information and applied (ha..a pun) it to the car. Joined the forum, went to California and took a class (thanks Mike) and have been using Meguiar's since and relying on this great forum for continued guidance and direction. The car shines and I'll catch those elusive swirls any day now as soon as I master the techniques and products. Or at least complete my apprenticeship.

Of course I've applied some of that information and products to her car too:D
Between the threats and the pleading, "...oh do my car too.." what was I to do?:confused:

Thanks Meguiar's, at least she ain't driving MY car.

sunday joe
Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I am 79 years old. I don't remember which brand I started with. It was probably Simoniz. In the last 20 or so years I have used Mothers and Megs. I used all the Mothers carnauba wax so I bought some DC1, 2 and 3.I stil have some Mothers Paint Cleaner and Glaze but it is nearly 10 years old now. The Megs' is newer.

STRIFE
Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:10 AM
I've used Turtle waxes, Mothers, and Meguiars....lots of my car friends swear by Zaino, I think I will be 100% Megs once I use up my 6 bottles of Mothers Showtime detailer & 2 bottles of Mothers FX spray wax.
I like a lot of the diffrent Meguiars lines....good prices too.

DetailFreak517
Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
I've always kept a wide variety of products in my inventory, but Meguiar's has always dominated it and they are my go-to products in most cases.

Shawn T.
Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
I actually entered in a contest to win a $250 shopping spree to AutoGeek and here was my wishlist:

Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
Free Sample with your Order
[remove] Sample 1 : DP Xtreme Foam Formula DP-800-S
$0.00 Yes $0.00
Meguiars Professional Ultimate Wipe® Detailing Cloth
[remove] $2.50 Yes $37.50
Meguiars Hyper Dressing
[remove] Add Proportioner? : No
$34.99 Yes $34.99
Meguiar’s Super Degreaser Concentrate, 1 Gallon
$12.99 Yes $12.99
Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner, 1 Gallon
$12.99 Yes $12.99
Meguiars Hyper-Wash
$18.99 Yes $37.98
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #66 Mirror Glaze Quick Detailer Gallon
[remove] $24.99 Yes $24.99
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #20 Polymer Sealant 64 oz.
[remove] $34.99 Yes $34.99
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Liquid Car Wax
[remove] $12.99 Yes $25.98
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish 32 oz.
[remove] $27.99 Yes $27.99

Subtotal: $250.40
Shipping: $24.95
Tax: $0.00
Total:

Enough Meguiars for you. By far the best price, best customer service and product compatibility. Never had an issue and probably never will. If I do, well, Meguiars customer service has always been there.

Meguiars=A++

therdrman
Jan 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM
i use only meguiars at least i try because they are very loyal to customers and great customer service and they gave me free stuff =)

1996_Subaru_Impreza
Jan 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
No I haven't always been a Meguiars fan because in New Zealand the Meguiars products aren't too affordable. EG a bottle of Ultimate compound is 40 dollars and a bottle of Gold class car wash is about 31 dollars. The other reason is because I didn't know about Meguiars until one day I went to google and typed in what is better then Armour all? the google results said Meguiars in almost every website I went to.
And I wanted a better product then Armour all because I found it greasy and it attracted dusty I HATE dust.
So now I just buy one or two Meguiars products a week depends on what I can afford.
I have tired the following car care products.

Turtle
Armour all
Super Cheap Auto (An Australian Company)
Mothers (Not as good as Meguiars but still close not to bad I still use some)
Polyglaze
3M (Not as good as Meguiars but still close not to bad I still use some)

The reason's I use Meguiars is because it's a quality product and it gets the results that I am looking for. I also detail other peoples cars so I want the best and only the best. I love the good smiling products that Meguiars has I have an addiction to shiny things shiny shoes shiny chrome shiny cars so Meguiars fits the bill with out a doubt.

Meguiars "It's the shine that's important!"

1970judge
Jan 13th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I was always pretty hardcore about using Goldclass shampoo and goldclass wax on my previous cars, but I used a heck of a lot of Turtle wax express wax back in the day too, still do in fact. Sometimes it's just easier, than waxing correctly, it may not be the best but if anything it makes the car smooth out.

Albert87
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:01 AM
For me It started 15months ago!
I had two options
first one was having no job and keep searching for a ICT related one!
Second one was getting in the Car Detailing branche!

That last one was very tempting because i love cars! and i hate dirty ones!

so in my classes for it i started using 3M polish products and system Wax and cleaners!

Knowing that my VW Golf MkIII 2k paint was in a bad condition (more white then red)
i let my teacher show me how to correct it all! (big mistake )
Sure the car was red! trims and wheel where the blackest black it can be!

i was happy but worried because during the polish process, the pads used where SO RED! i dindt quite like that tought!

2 months passed and my car was Back from the start!
they offers a second polish (i said no) when i saw how the engine hoses and door trims and windows rubbers where all deteriorating in those two months! making my golf worse then before i let them correct it(worse in this case)
so i left my golf for what it was for 7 months in that state and only getting it worse!

Then on my first Real yob as a car detail er! I actually learned more then from the classes!!

but my golf was still in a bad shape and paint was thin also during a measure up! 1.2 from the orginal 2.8(don't know how that call that thickness Micron?)

but then Came a EX Lease car in that i had to clean!
and i found a bottle of NXT wax first Generation
So i gently Polished my hood again with 3M fast cut plus
and waxed the hood with Meguiars NXT Gen1
i could not believe mt eyes it was still Red after 6 months+
and i also noticed how the water beading effect came to mind!

so i searched the internet for more products
and i came to here!

I observed the forums then for more then 8 months!
learned alot!

and bought Ultimate compound and NXT Techwax 2.0
i could not Believe my own eyes how gently it works with my 2k coat
the polish pad whereat near so Red during the progress but the golf was smooth as glass! i was like WOW

The wax still protects my car for 3 years now!!
even the engine bay is clean the rubber hoses are flexible again and black
and those are still the original 13yr old ones!
and i don't Want anything else!!!

Sonax is good
3M is fine!

but Meguiars Rules them all!!
sure even meguiars has a few lesser products!
the old Goldclass Trim detailer is nice for the summer but not during rain seasons! but Gold Class high gloss endurance gel sure does!!

but 9 out of 10 ill give Meguiars!!

for personal use i keep it to you guys :notworthy

and im trying to convince my boss also using Meguiars
so far so good Last touch and claykit and the Heavy duty Headlight restoration kit in in my work space!

Thanks Meguiars for keeping my Work environment pleasant
and for keeping my skills at it best!
and for Leaving my Golf MkIII as New with minimal efford (okay i am not lazy but it good to work smarter not harder ;))

dixie_boysles
Jun 13th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I have always used from the time I was 18 when I first got my 88 camry. I just love the smell of all their products and how well they clean. If a product stinks, i dont want to use it for sure. But above all, its the way they work. Every product I have ever used of meguirars, it has worked well for me

Old Fart
Aug 20th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I have used Meguiar's products since 1972. I stumbled across (at some chain store) a bottle of polish which upon reading the bottle more closely, it 'lowered E/T's in race cars' AND it also left NO finger/hand prints when protected surface was either leaned on or touched.

I have noticed (years ago) that this product is no longer available and that over the years the companies products have grown so vast and varied, it is now VERY hard to tell which is which.....

BillyJack
Aug 20th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I have used Meguiar's products since 1972. I stumbled across (at some chain store) a bottle of polish which upon reading the bottle more closely, it 'lowered E/T's in race cars' AND it also left NO finger/hand prints when protected surface was either leaned on or touched.

I have noticed (years ago) that this product is no longer available and that over the years the companies products have grown so vast and varied, it is now VERY hard to tell which is which.....

If I remember correctly, that stuff was called "Competition Finish" and was labelled Meguiar, not Meguiar's. I had some too, bought it in 1971 from my local parts store. When I went back for more, I was told it was no longer being made and they sold me my first bottle of #7, then called "Sealer and Reseal Glaze". It wasn't 'till I joined up here in 2009 that I learned the whole story. I believe it's the same member of the Meguiar family that currently markets products under the Finish Kare name.

Bill

Old Fart
Aug 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM
WOW BILL!!!! Your memory is sharper than mine. I can barely remember the year I started using the product. I only remember the year because I first used the product on a 1972 G.M. car that I had just purchased.

This product came in a smallish greenish bottle and was rectangular in shape and was not very deep (thick).

Are we still thinking of the same product???

BillE
Aug 21st, 2014, 03:00 AM
Just to add about "Meguiar" vs "Meguiar's"...don't remember if it was Mike Phillips or Mike Stoops that said it, but "Meguiar" was a brother (? or another relation) of Barry Meguiar and started his own company.

During the 70's, I remember seeing the "Meguiar" products at quite a few car shows, even had a sticker from them. It was unique, had a/an armored helmet (like old England) in the logo.

Bill

BillyJack
Aug 21st, 2014, 05:39 AM
WOW BILL!!!! Your memory is sharper than mine. I can barely remember the year I started using the product. I only remember the year because I first used the product on a 1972 G.M. car that I had just purchased.

This product came in a smallish greenish bottle and was rectangular in shape and was not very deep (thick).

Are we still thinking of the same product???

Sounds familiar, except I remember the bottle being black. I remember the year well, as I had just had a fresh repaint done over Labor Day weekend on my '67 Malibu that I rebuilt from a total. My uncle, the painter, didn't trust me with a rotary, so he gave me a couple sheets of 600 paper, a can of Dupont compound and some instructions on color sanding and rubbing out the fresh paint by HAND. His instructions also included "no wax for 6 months". After that excruciating process was done, I wanted a product to give it more gloss that had no wax content. The Competition Finish was recommended to me by my local parts store/ paint supplier as a fresh paint-safe glaze.
Here's a pic of the car after I finished it.

Bill

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/67MalibuLRcropped.jpg

W211E320
Oct 23rd, 2014, 05:40 AM
Over years I used SONAX polish products - after getting in touch with meguiars I loved the gloss - and - very important - I understood how to work with the different products in combination - maybe SONAX is also a great product line, but for me meguiars is much more easy to understand and so to use ...