PDA

View Full Version : doing the interior is like cleaning your room

CarbonBlack
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
whenever I detail a car, I always hate to do the interior.
doing the exterior is like walking on the moon
doing the interior is like cleaning your room.:wall:

anyone agree, and is there any way to get away from this task
(or at least make it fun)

anyone have any drastic time saver tips?

thanks, nick

J-Man
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I don't mind it... I kinda like because its such a relief when everything is picked up and nice and clean. I like doing the outside better, but its not so bad. I always try to keep my truck nice and orderly. :coolgleam
Hoever, i do hate those hard to reach places... :(

Murr1525
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Do it often and it takes like 10 minutes a month.

J. A. Michaels
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:53 AM
Well it is not a bother to me at all. Ido not want toget in and sit in a mess. To me it takes away from the overall effect of having a "show car shine". It does not matter if the exterior is flawless if someone cringes at the inside. Not a good combo imho.

BlueZero
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
I don't really like doing it. Keep up on it and it shouldn't take too long. Now if I could quit putting receipts in the center counsel. Right now it's stuffed full. :o

Spring cleaning always takes the longest for me. Getting all the winter salt and grim cleaned up.

AeroCleanse
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
I didn't like to do it, but then I got a hot water extractor and now I enjoy watching the color change :)

RaskyR1
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
I don't really like doing it. Keep up on it and it shouldn't take too long. Now if I could quit putting receipts in the center counsel. Right now it's stuffed full. :o

Spring cleaning always takes the longest for me. Getting all the winter salt and grim cleaned up.

LMAO! I do that too! :D

Matt's 03 GT
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I used to hate doing the interior untill I got the right products. I now have PlastX, Interior specific dressing, Quick interior detailer (Love this stuff), 5 hp craftsman vac, all purpose cleaner. With this I can clean the interior in about 1/2 hour once a month on my DD and it stays looking very nice!

BINGO53
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Even back when I was healthy, it was never my favorite part of auto care. Now days the contortionist positions required limit me somewhat. I try to keep my own up as much as possible, so that all it takes is a quick wipe down. (plus I have no children to deal with)

My friends for whom I occasionally do their exterior, I always remind them "I don't do interiors!"

Now my soccer mom friend with the rolling landfill Caravan...I just run and hide!

Nappers
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
I like doing them, the only pet peeve are the vents in the dash. Other than that, Meguiars makes a slough of products to keep them clean.

If you don't have some kind of extractor, it's well worth it.

Aaron

MoJam
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Well it is not a bother to me at all. Ido not want toget in and sit in a mess. To me it takes away from the overall effect of having a "show car shine". It does not matter if the exterior is flawless if someone cringes at the inside. Not a good combo imho.
:iagree:

yalerd
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
I don't mind doing them, I like because not only the car looks great but when people get in they really do notice the car is very very clean. In fact that's a key point for females, I don't know why usually it's more important the interior than the exterior.

I've detailed my car at the best and when a female gets in, they say WOW! jajaj

CarbonBlack
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I agree that it is far best to keep up with the car as a whole! I detail a handful of cars a month, mostly from people that are selling their car right after the detail. that is to say, the car has been machine washed it's whole life(better than nothing), or the neighborhood kid used dawn and a brillo pad. it also means the interior has been abused to the same extent. I suppose that is a bias on my part, my own ride is easy to detail!

cm2005300
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
i love taking the time to do an interior i feel that if the interior is clean for someone you are detailing for then they will be happy and if the exterior shines like the inside they will be blown away interior is part of the car and i love when i jump in a nie clean interior clean mats clean seats clean interior windows and all i love it

WrightDetail
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:05 AM
i love taking the time to do an interior i feel that if the interior is clean for someone you are detailing for then they will be happy and if the exterior shines like the inside they will be blown away interior is part of the car and i love when i jump in a nie clean interior clean mats clean seats clean interior windows and all i love it

:iagree:Scottwax1

cnfowler
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM
It's not too bad. I certainly don't love doing it but when it is finished, I love it.

CAShine
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I can't say that I love detailing the interior, but I it has been somewhat more enjoyable since I got an extractor. I get more satisfaction from working on the paint.

oldmodman
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Now my soccer mom friend with the rolling landfill Caravan...I just run and hide!

You are not kidding!

Two of my friends have a bunch of kids and I am amazed at how much **** they have in their vans. I only made the mistake of trying to do one of their interiors and I'll never offer again. It took two full days to finish it to my satisfaction. The first day was just spent removing all the junk, and cleaning the carpet. Until I was done I didn't even know what color the carpet was supposed to be! And I must say it was a waste of time. In a month her kids had it back to the same garbage level as before.

TKDDAD
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
You are not kidding!

Two of my friends have a bunch of kids and I am amazed at how much **** they have in their vans. I only made the mistake of trying to do one of their interiors and I'll never offer again. It took two full days to finish it to my satisfaction. The first day was just spent removing all the junk, and cleaning the carpet. Until I was done I didn't even know what color the carpet was supposed to be! And I must say it was a waste of time. In a month her kids had it back to the same garbage level as before.

I must admit I have had a van since 2000 and my kids are really good about NOT using it as a garbage can. Even my 17 year old son who takes it really tries to keep it clean inside (or he'd have to deal with his mom:eek:). They know how hard I work to keep it clean and they do their part to help. What amazes me constantly is how other people let their interiors get so out of control. Do they not see what's in there ?!?!...can't imagine what their houses look like..But I agree, Meg's has great products for the interior and I have a nice assortment of brushes that I use to do vents etc...I don't mind interiors but much prefer exteriors.

SilveradoMan
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I like doing it all.

Lydia
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I used to dislike interiors quite a bit, but I don't mind them so bad now. In fact, the other day I worked on a car that had not been cleaned, inside or outside, in the two years the owner had it. The interior had dog slobber on the back windows and window sills, fur on the back seat, ground in dirt on the front mats, spilled who-knows-what in the cup holders and console, and dust and grime all over the dash and windshield. And would you know, I actually enjoyed doing it. I guess because it was somewhat of a challenge. And, would ya know, it came out looking almost brand new. On the floor mats, I used Quik Out and the DA brush attachment (worked awesome!), dash and sills got #40, windows got D-Line glass cleaner, jambs got LT, center console and cup holders got #40, and the carpet got the shop vac with the whirly-brush-whatchamacallit-attachment-that-came-with-my-house-vac (works great, btw). I guess part of the thing I like about some interiors is the challenge. That's not to say I dislike doing relatively clean interiors, though. Those are definately nice to do too.

AeroCleanse
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
You are not kidding!

If you get paid for it what does it matter? If you didn't get paid for it. :wall:

oldmodman
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM
If you get paid for it what does it matter? If you didn't get paid for it. :wall:

No pay!

It's a freebee!

I've know her since she was 9, now she's 40 with three kids.

I'm not called "OLD"modman for nothing:laughing

HagFan
Jan 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I don't mind it, but I'm usually trying to beat darkness just to get the exteriors done. Last night I was working by moonlight and my driveway pole light. Today, rain, no doubt. ;)

The Civic Si has an all black interior and the seats are cloth. You have to keep the shop vac and lint roller handy. I also like the Interior Quik Detailer, to freshen the scent. The Meg's Glass Cleaner is the only one I've used that keeps the windows clean and streak free.

Make sure on your fast food /pizza runs to leave a window or sunroof cracked open to evacuate the food odors. Obviously, if you park outside you limited in doing this.

Jeepster04
Jan 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Now if I could quit putting receipts in the center counsel. Right now it's stuffed full. :o

I do the exact same thing! Everyone I get I stuff in that thing.

I really enjoy cleaning my interior. I smile everytime I get in it to drive so it makes a bad day a good day. :)

Ryan L.
Jan 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I agree with most people above...if you keep at it, it's fairly easy. The only thing I don't like is after we go offroading, the little tiny sand is everywhere and black carpet shows every little grain. Gets kinda annoying sometimes...

Ryan

b2bomber
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I prefer doing it every time I do the exteriors...but more often than not, only for my own cars. for others... only the exterior.

G Force
Jan 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
i do a quick clean once a week.Vacuum,washing floor mats,windows from inside,dash etc... each four or five weeks.

Cat
Jan 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't mind detailing the interior but the Honda Fit has this dimpled texture dash and even on the doors. You can't use certain products because they get down inbetween the dimples (carbon fiber look) and then it looks really dull. I just use a damp cloth and wipe it down. Still haven't found anything that works great on the surface. :wall:

Cat :x

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7707/picture028cp2.jpg

Cat
Jan 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I don't mind it, but I'm usually trying to beat darkness just to get the exteriors done. Last night I was working by moonlight and my driveway pole light. Today, rain, no doubt. ;)

The Civic Si has an all black interior and the seats are cloth. You have to keep the shop vac and lint roller handy. I also like the Interior Quik Detailer, to freshen the scent. The Meg's Glass Cleaner is the only one I've used that keeps the windows clean and streak free.

Make sure on your fast food /pizza runs to leave a window or sunroof cracked open to evacuate the food odors. Obviously, if you park outside you limited in doing this.

That is the great thing about the Honda black interior and cloth seats. You learn very quickly to keep the lint roller handy in the car! My friends laughed at me the first time they saw the lint roller in the pocket of the front passinger seat but it works great to keep the seats looking clean.

Cat :x

redhcnc
Jan 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I kinda like doing the interior.... As long as it is a nice warm but not too hot day. with the sun shining and some good music on.

don777
Jan 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hi all

Interiors are very important, rememeber when you close the door all you look other than the bonnet is the inside of you ride, so yes i enjoy getting the inside clean, also you get a few compliments, like a car dealer when in for servicing, your car look brand new ( 6 years old ). Also last car 21 years old the insdie still look only about 2-3 years old.....
the answer pride, no kids( fingers, feet ), no fast food (smell), and ask people clean your feet before you get in.... Yes I annoy people, but the inside of all my cars have been clean....
and yes when i had my bedford van ( similar size to chevy ) it was like cleaning a room, including make the bed. and i will not start on under bonnet cleaning or, cleaning diffs, suspenion, brakes etc for show and stuff.

Cheers

Don

rusty bumper
Jan 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
whenever I detail a car, I always hate to do the interior.
doing the exterior is like walking on the moon
doing the interior is like cleaning your room.:wall:

anyone agree, and is there any way to get away from this task
(or at least make it fun)

anyone have any drastic time saver tips?

thanks, nick

I agree with you Nick...I hate doing the inside too.

One little helper trick though is to buy yourself a caddie to keep your bottles organized with.

It is a big time saver for me.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/thumbs/Caddie.jpg (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/6329)

rusty bumper
Jan 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi all

...no fast food (smell)

Don

Gee...I don't know about that Don.

I like to smell a good 'ole mustard, chili & onion hamburger or hotdog aroma for a day or two. :D

1971fordcustom
Jan 20th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I love doing mine!!!!!!! you can't mess it up like the PAINT LOL and then it makes it harder to clean sense the interior of my truck is all black!!! good luck trying to get ever little dust spot, you go one one side get it done come back to the other side it looks like some cheep old man was going to clean it for a 1$ LOLScottwax2

Racingfan
Feb 14th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I like doing the interior.

Raymond
Feb 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I like doing the interior because it's what the driver (me) sees the most. Plus I usually do the interior before the exterior and it's nice to be able to sit down while I'm doing it, doesn't wear me out as much as doing the outside because I'm not moving as much. And yeah I realize that makes me sound lazy, but I'd say the interior and exterior is pretty equal to me. I like the outside to look good for other people to see, and the inside to look good for me.

Hemin8r
Mar 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I don't mind working on my interior although I should probably do it a little more often. I'm just not too crazy about working on the interior of other cars I work on. I still work on them but much prefer working on the exterior.

EAT HEMI
Mar 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I voted neutral.

Pro: It is a fast process on a car that is regularly kept clean

Mega -Pro: It is the living space of your vehicle and when it is clean it really improves the driving environment

Con: Confined space makes it less enjoyable to work in.

Mega-Con: Exteriors get neglected, interiors get ABUSED!

Joe's detailing
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
interior is there any way to get away from this task

Yes, don't open a detail shop LMAO....Scottwax2

RogueGypsy
Mar 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM
I use the quick and easy method with the work truck (contractor). Every Friday I open both doors and hit it with the leaf blower or compressor. :xyxthumbs
Then a quick wipe down with some dressing and she's good to go for another week. :spot

Sometimes I'll vacuum the seat if the sawdust is too thick. :rofl:

What can I say, Northwest job sites are not conducive to a clean truck, especially in the winter.

Brock

Maserati Mario
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I look at the interior from my customers point of view. Alot of people only see the interior and that gives me incentive to do the best job I can.
I've got it down to about and hour to do a dirty car and I alway love the reaction of my the owner.

gb387
May 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM
depends how bad the interior is, for the most part I don't mind it.

Renny Doyle
May 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I know some do not share my outlook that I am about to share but I think the interior is the greatest challenge within the detailing process. Year after year...paint remains very close to the previous model year but interiors and the materials they use change yearly!

While I take great pride in my paint efforts...interiors offer the real challenge! Thanks God for steamers!

V.I.P.E.R
May 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Renny you like my little friend..........
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/www.1car-detailing-training.com/vapor-chief-steam-cleaner-pi-37.html?image=0

http://www.1car-detailing-training.com/vapor-chief-steam-cleaner-pi-37.html?image=0

Mr Mustang
May 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I don't mind doing them, I like because not only the car looks great but when people get in they really do notice the car is very very clean. In fact that's a key point for females, I don't know why usually it's more important the interior than the exterior.

I've detailed my car at the best and when a female gets in, they say WOW! jajaj
+1, I keep the interior clean, but I make sure to wipe down the surfaces (I keep the windows down, therefore tons of dust), and vaccuum before picking up the ladies...

V.I.P.E.R
May 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM
You guys' are too funny

J. A. Michaels
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I know some do not share my outlook that I am about to share but I think the interior is the greatest challenge within the detailing process. Year after year...paint remains very close to the previous model year but interiors and the materials they use change yearly!

While I take great pride in my paint efforts...interiors offer the real challenge! Thanks God for steamers!

I agree. Interiors are tough. IMHO they often set the tone for the detail. If the interior is not great the customer is not happy.

SHYNEMAN123
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I would rather buff any day but now that i have a tornador and meguiar's apc it's fun again. It's one of the best interior cleaning tools i have ever used for dash door panels and consoles.what a great time saver. I have photo of one in my photos.still working on resizing to add photos to posts.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/NEW_0961.jpg

SHYNEMAN123
Nov 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Forgot to post the Tornador pic

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/NEW_0961.jpg

AeroCleanse
Nov 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Goes a lot faster with a steam cleaner.

Tuck91
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I enjoy doing the interior, i like experimenting with different interior dressings as well

CieraSL
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't mind doing the interior, as long as it's not too dirty. I clean the interior of my parents' cars whenever I wash them. The interior of my car usually doesn't get very dirty, so I just hit it up with a quick vacuum, wipe down plastic surfaces, spot clean, and inside windows every 2 weeks or so. I voted it's not too bad.

rusty bumper
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM
Goes a lot faster with a steam cleaner.

Sounds good to me.

Sort of like the mean little green machine?

PuDeN
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I enjoy doing interior first before doing any exterior parts. . . like before washing i always do interior first until i am really satisfy then i go for wash and clean.

roger 668
Apr 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
see below.

roger 668
Apr 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
If you have pride in your work you should enjoy the challenge of of an abused interior. If you detail with a direction of progression and often enough it will be an enjoyable task.:D

dope92cc
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
interiors are alright, but i really love paint care.

speed3blackmica
Dec 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
on average, if you properly maintain the interior regularly, it should only take a few minutes to clean the interior...just a quick vaccuum and dust the dash and your set to go..unless of course there are any stains or anything of that sort.