PDA

View Full Version : The New 2008 “What type of Mitt do you use?”

TXShine
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Since the old Poll was really aging and Mike suggested it.....here is a new 2008 poll for "What type of Mitt do you use?"

So pick your poison and make some comments...........

I use the Meguiar’s microfiber wash mitt (X-3002). It holds the amount of soap & water that I like and it seems to keep contaminates away from the paint surface. Also, it’s not so thick that it’s difficult to clean on the Grit-Guard.

I rotate two of these, one for the top portions of the vehicle and one for the bottom, the newest for the top of course. In my opinion it’s a very durable mitt, although I go to the extreme when it comes to cleaning them after use.

There are other Mitts I would like to try, so maybe this poll will give me and some of you some good info on what Mitts are worth a try.

Have Fun!

Jimmy The Detailer
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
:iagree:, same here.

Nappers
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Lambs wool for now, I'm going to try the Meguiars microfiber mitt next.

Aaron

Ryan L.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I used to swear by the lambswool and in a way still do, but for know its the Meguiar's Microfiber. I loved the softness and the way the lambswool cleaned but I could never find one that would last more than a month or two. Its for that reason that I use the microfiber ones now, but I am just as pleased with them as the lambswool.

Ryan

cafemoc
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I use Meguiar’s Chenille for paint, and old lambs wool for wheels. :xyxthumbs

Wolf-Strong
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Home Depot grout sponge here! It seriously works unbelievably well!

TXShine
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Home Depot grout sponge here! It seriously works unbelievably well!

Well I have to say I didn't see that coming.... hard to beat the price though.

Thanks for sharing.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100173109

2KLS1
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I like a lambswool mitt. I get the 5$ ones form walmart. I've been using the same one for months now and haven't had a problem with it.

Lydia
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
I originally used a Meg's MF mitt. Then I started using lambswool mitts. I got the Walmart one first, but the wool came out too easily, so I got a Advance Auto Parts one, which seemed to last better. For some reason, though, lately I've been using the MF wash mitt again. It works great.

Jeepster04
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Ive been wanting to try a grout sponge. Ive heard they are good but idk about them. Time will tell.

Megs MF mitt for now.

Mark2
Jan 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I am not sure what the "Ulti-Mit" is?? I use the Ultra plush wash mitt that is discontinued :( I have a few left, but it really is the only mitt I have liked so far.
Lambswool, MF or Chenille mitts are terrible IMHO. Maybe it's a sponge next?

J. A. Michaels
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Meg's microfiber for me. Good mitt.

TXShine
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:25 AM
[quote=Mark2;191459]I am not sure what the "Ulti-Mit" is?? quote]

It's a wash mitt by Lake Country. Do a search and you'll see it sold at a lot of places.

Jeepster04
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have one of those ultra plush mitts. I also have one of their ultra plush sponges and while they work great, they would shed like crazy. I had to go around and pick all the lint and such out of the cracks when I washed with it.

I also have a sheep skin mitt from walmart lydia. It seems to work great but Ive not used it a whole lot. Something about putting my hand inside of a sheep's skin makes me feel alittle strange. I did use sheep skin to dry my Jeep before I met meguiars though.

roushstage2
Jan 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Meguiar's MF for the paint, the other 10 Meguiar's ones get used between other vehicles and wheels.

rebelde33
Jan 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I've been using lambswool but I don't like the smell very much so next time i'll use a MF mitt.

Boss_429
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I'm still a fan of the highest quality Lambswool mitts I can find... and I can't find any locally. :D

I've also been experimenting with the new "knobby" MF mitts. So far, so good. However, with the weather the way it's been, I've only had a couple chances to try them. :(

gr8-wrx
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I like using the MF dreadlock type mitts.

mattaleca
Feb 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I use Meguiar’s Chenille for paint, and old lambs wool for wheels. :xyxthumbs

:iagree: Same for me

06M6TorridGTO
Feb 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Is the Meguiar's MF Mitt going to be better than the lambswool mitt (I just bought a few from walmart)? I have always used the lambswool/sheepskin mitts, never any MF mitts.

Cassman
Feb 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Grout sponge for me, too! Works incredibly well at any price, but for $2? Incredible. Lasts forever too.

CosmoTiki
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I like using the MF dreadlock type mitts.

I was using one of these dreadlock style, but it grabbed/broke the bottom of the "Z" emblem on the trunk lid... it's now reserved for my son's dirt bike, which seemed more sane than lighting it on fire. I switched to the Meg's MF mitt and liked it so much I bought a second.

Sprzout
Mar 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I was using one of these dreadlock style, but it grabbed/broke the bottom of the "Z" emblem on the trunk lid... it's now reserved for my son's dirt bike, which seemed more sane than lighting it on fire. I switched to the Meg's MF mitt and liked it so much I bought a second.

I tried using one of the dreadlock style mitts and it got caught in between the door jamb and the front quarterpanel on my dad's truck; I ended up ripping it out and opening & closing the door multiple times until the piece worked through the door jamb enough to where I could grab it with a pair of long needlenose pliers & pull it through. Pain in the donkey, and I'll never go through that again!

I've got a couple of lambs wool ones that the local Pep Boys was closing out; package of 3 for $8. I'm on the second one, because the wool just seems to be falling out as I'm using it; I intend to replace it with one of the Megs MF mitts next weekend at Good Guys car show.

quantummechanic84
Mar 25th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I got an SM Arnold sheepswool mitt. I love it... No wool fallout, no smell, a hook you can hang it on to dry where the inside is exposed and doesn't get smelly, and I've used it twice a month for about 6 months and I see no degradation.

BINGO53
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I recently switched from "an OK brand" of MF to the Meg's Mitt. What a difference! I really like the white so I can see if there is any debris still in it after rinsing. The problem is, the Meg's mitt seems to **** the dirt right up deep inside the pile. (Thats really not a problem, just a testimony to the mitt doing its thing.)

I had considered going to lambswool, but I wash my two vehicles so often that I doubt if one of those would ever dry completely, even if I bought 3 or 4 and rotated them. I do well with 3 Meg mitts in rotation using washer and dryer to keep them clean, and ready to go whenever to the mood strikes to go smell some #62 soap.

Josh9131
Apr 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I use the mothers lambs wool mitts. They dont fall apart and them seem to work really well for me.

gb387
Apr 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I use the Wal-Mart Lambs wool mitt... but seems the walmarts near me have now discontinued them.

3Fitty
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Lambs wool on paint, grout sponge on tires. Have been doing this for years and seems to work pretty well, although I just started the two-bucket wash this year.

David621
Apr 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I've only tried the Vroom MF mitt from Target and have only washed my car once with it. It seems to do a good job in cleaning the car w/o leaving any scratch/swirl marks (probably because my car is still new and I've only washed my car once with it). Time will tell!

Maserati Mario
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I found a black magic micro spong and cloth at Biglots. They were very cheap and work like they should.

ktlimq
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
I like the sheepskin mitt sold by Mercedes-Benz USA, though it is very expensive. If I am diligent, I may be able to find a good sheepskin mitt at lower price.

I think a sheepskin mitt should have hairs with adequate length and stiffness. Some have too long and soft hairs so that the hairs lay neatly flat instead of being randomly curled to provide cushion and cleaning power.

Jokeman
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Meguiar’s Chenille for me. A cheapo Chenille for the wheels.

Derrick
May 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I posted on the older one before i realized this is the newer poll so ill add in here to. I use both a ultra plush micro fiber and 100% lambs wool mitts

supercharged
May 30th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Shmitt works the best for me. Why? because it lasts. All those chenille, and terry mitt either tear or become useless after just 10-12 washes, making you buy again...That's republican way, I went democratic way, and bought something that lasts.
Tried the Ulti-Mitt, not bad, but still prefer Shmitt over it.

Markus Kleis
May 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
ADS sells the SM Arnold sheep skin wool mitts...wow, they're amazing. Very high quality and fantastic price.

musthavemuzk
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
goal achieved. now i have good info to go with when i need to replace the walmart mf mitt i picked up and have now used 4 times.
last summer i used a lambswool from napa and it worked great, but after 3 months it had finally had its lash hoorah.

i am also planning to do the 2 bucket method now that i know what it is.

thanx

Monty

bookeem
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:50 AM
megs chenille, and some knock off mf wash mitt for wheels..

also heard a lot about the grout sponge, and will pick one up to try soon..

RacerX88
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM
MF mitt from Advance Auto Parts. It's bright green. I like it for the amount of soap/water it carries. Better than my old fake lambs wool. What I don't like is I am finding bright green threads in small crevices.

barry
Oct 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have been using the shmitt since the beginning of spring,I like the way it fits on my hand and the way the dirt is easy to rinse out of it.But the only downfall to it,is it split in half after about 30 car washes.I wash able to glue it back together.but my opinion is I really don't think its going to last as long as a lambs wool wash mitt.I had my last wash mitt for 2 years and put it down for the shmitt,I bought the double set from ADS for around $30.00.the black one is for wheels and tires and wheel wells ,it works great with no problems.It could have been my fault the white Shmitt spit because I would rinse it off and empty and rinse my wash bucket,then toss it in the wash bucket and not hang it to dry.So,if anyone decides to try the Smhitt,rinse it out and hang up to dry.

ClearlyCoated
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Lambswool for washing, microfiber for the Last Touch\quick detailing treatment. Unfortunately there was no way to split my vote, so I just chose lambswool since that's the mitt I wash with.

CumminsCrazed
Aug 4th, 2009, 06:09 PM
ive been taught to use lambswool for washing, so thats what ive always used. Ive had my last mitt for....YEARS, and its just now starting to have the wool fall out of it!!!!! Plan to buy a few new ones from ADS here shortly!

FastEddysDetailing
Nov 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM
I use the 10in Boars hair brush with telescoping handle

Malo83
Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
Armor All dreadlock MF mitt works for me, holds a lot of suds and rinses out clean :xyxthumbs