PDA

View Full Version : NXT vs Zaino

vwguy
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:14 AM
I have been using different Meguiar's products on my dark blue Corrado for many years and was thinking about jumping ship to Zaino until I read about NXT. For those that have used both, what is your opinion?

For the past few years I have used ScratchX, #7 & #26, the finish looks great for awhile, but in a few weeks to a month it's just not there anymore and doesn't sheet water that well. My car has a good bit of swirls and being dark, well that doesn't help matters. You know the hype about Zaino, fills the swirls, lasts forever etc, but if the NXT is all it's cracked up to be, I'd much rather stick w/ Meguiar's than shell out the big bucks for Zaino. Thanks in advance for the help!

Brian

Mike Phillips
Mar 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Here's a picture of blue Mini Cooper in which I applied one coat of NXT over his previous applications of Zaino. (Car looked plasticy out in the sun before we started). The owner has put nothing by Zaino on this car since he purchased it new.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2704nxtoverzaino2.jpg

At first he was a little reluctant to let me apply the Tech Wax because he had so many coats of Zaino, and so much time and effort into applying them. But we both looked at the finish out in the sun and it just didn't have the clear, glossy look I knew it should have.

I told him, if after applying NXT Tech Wax he didn't like the results, I would strip off the NXT and re-apply the Zaino as I have the entire Zaino collection including the ZFX.

Here's what he said afterwards,

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
A few facts. This car was picked up on 9/5/03 in Memphis, TN, and driven 4,551 miles across the USA visiting 12 states. I took the long way, hitting the Northern USA, instead of the direct route across Texas. I clay barred and Zaino'd using their $80 starter kit as soon as I got back to CA.

First Zaino and claybar application was almost 14 hours long. I then washed and Zaino'd almost every week since then. Most Zaino was on the bonnet. I now have 7700 miles (2-1/2 months later), and yes Mike, I'm amazed.

1 application of Meguiar’s, and it really looked superb. Hmmmmm, anyone want to buy my Zaino?

Thanks to Mike, I think we're going to see some attitude changes over on the MINI forums!!!

:D

the above was taken from the below thread,

http://www.showcargarage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=358&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

You know, the best judge of how well a product performs is the test you apply with you're own eyes. My advice would be to try both and stick with the one that looks the best.

I have to go buff out a Corvette now, so I wont' be able to respond to this or anything for a few hours.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218

Hope this helps...

Mike

vwguy
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Good points Mike. I think I'll spend the $15 for NXT first ;)

Now a few follow up questions...typically how long will an application of the NXT last? I live in the Northern part of WI, not too hot in the Summer and we don't get a lot of rain either. As far as my swirl problem, is there anything in the product line that works better than ScratchX?

Brian

Mike Phillips
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Hi Brian,

I can't really say how long it will last, I know better than to make claims that cannot be proven.

The best way to prepare the surface ideally would be to machine polish using a PC and #83. If you cannot do that then ScratchX or ColorX would be a good way to go by hand.

Hopefully you can post some pictures when your through.

Mike

vwguy
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Once it stops snowing and warms up here in WI I'll go to work on my car (by hand) and post up some pics when I get a few good ones.

Brian

MBZ 500E
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I'll chime in since I've had an opportunity to use both products extensively.

Zaino
- Very shiny (too shiny IMO on darker colors) I lost a great deal of metallic appearance when using Zaino.
- slick finish
- average protection, good durability
- easy on easy off
- 4 steps initially, 3 steps thereafter
- can't use other product outside of Zaino line, if you do you may lose the durability
- expensive (it's not expensive if you buy just one of their products but if you want to achieve the durability results and the shine you need to use all their products
- Z5 doesn't fill swirls at all (note my Z5 is 2 years old so newer formula may be better)
- hard to find

NXT Tech Wax
- excellent depth, excellent gloss, IMO it compares to a carnauba with slightly less gloss and a bit more depth
- slick finish
- good protection, not sure on durability
- one step
- can be used with any other products (it looks even better with a properly prepared surface)
- not too expensive
- has excellent cobweb filling abilities, and good swirl filling abilities (although you need to either reapply or use the NXT spray to maintain the swirl free finish)
- easy get find

Feel free to ask any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Hope this helps.

Open Air
Mar 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM
My wife uses Zainos on her 2002 Electron Blue Coupe. Look's really nice, but it takes her forever to get it right. And, NO it does not fill any minor scratches/swirls.

I'm looking forward to showing her up with my PC, #9, #83 and NXT on my '04 Commemorative Ragtop. Once she sees how the PC takes out those minor swirls that drives us car nuts crazy She's gonna switch.

I'm sold on M's products.

Aurora40
Mar 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by vwguy
Good points Mike. I think I'll spend the $15 for NXT first ;)

Now a few follow up questions...typically how long will an application of the NXT last? I live in the Northern part of WI, not too hot in the Summer and we don't get a lot of rain either. As far as my swirl problem, is there anything in the product line that works better than ScratchX?

Brian

I've used both a few times. Zaino is very nice but not for me. NXT is nice, but not for me. Zaino is very shiny, pricy, and fussy, but it isn't very glossy. NXT is very very glossy, cheap, easy to apply but has cleaners and also didn't last more than 6 weeks for me.

I say spend $13 on a tin of #16 paste wax and you will get high shine, great durability, ease of application, a million applications from the tin, and you can use it over your existing prep products with no problems. :)

RamAirV1
Mar 15th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Mike, you mentioned using Color X or Scratch X for surafce prep. Which is more aggressive? How do they compare to MPC?

RamAirV1

Smitty
Mar 25th, 2004, 03:08 PM
I have a 1982 Black/Black Corvette. I have been a loyal Zaino user for the last 2 years. I have 25 coats of Zaino, with the last 5 coats utilizing their ZFW additive. Believe me when I say that I now have 3 coats of NXT on her and I can definitely tell the difference. My fellow Corvette buddies cannot believe how much deeper the color is. They have all gone out and bought NXT. Stick with NXT because it's the beat on the market today.

vwguy
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I'm bringing this one back from the dead :) I did buy Zaino (Z2, Z5, Z6, ZFX & carwash) just to see for myself what all the hype was about. First day I put three coats of Z5 on, next day put three more coats of Z5 and the day after that I did three coats of Z2. When I got done I was really impressed, I could hardly see the swirls! When they say Z5 fills the swirls they delivered right? Wrong... At the end of the week I washed my Corrado w/ their wash and when I looked at the paint on an angle there were the swirls again :wall: Yes, my car is pretty shiney, but who likes looking at shiney swirls? I suppose if I used 2 bottles of Z5 that might finally fill all the swirls in, but once I run out of Zaino I'll be back to Meguairs. Zaino is a good product, but pricey. NXT didn't seem to last all that long for me, but in the long run even if I wax my car every weekend it will still be way cheaper. I figure I'll wax one week and hit it w/ the spray booster the next. Anyway...looks like Meguiar's does beat out Zaino in my book!

Brian

4.6GT
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:35 PM
For the price difference alone try NXT. I think you'll like the results.

Antonio Wright
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by vwguy
I'm bringing this one back from the dead :) I did buy Zaino (Z2, Z5, Z6, ZFX & carwash) just to see for myself what all the hype was about. First day I put three coats of Z5 on, next day put three more coats of Z5 and the day after that I did three coats of Z2. When I got done I was really impressed, I could hardly see the swirls! When they say Z5 fills the swirls they delivered right? Wrong... At the end of the week I washed my Corrado w/ their wash and when I looked at the paint on an angle there were the swirls again :wall: Yes, my car is pretty shiney, but who likes looking at shiney swirls? I suppose if I used 2 bottles of Z5 that might finally fill all the swirls in, but once I run out of Zaino I'll be back to Meguairs. Zaino is a good product, but pricey. NXT didn't seem to last all that long for me, but in the long run even if I wax my car every weekend it will still be way cheaper. I figure I'll wax one week and hit it w/ the spray booster the next. Anyway...looks like Meguiar's does beat out Zaino in my book!

Brian

In defense of Z5. Sal,even said that Z5 was not meant to remove swirls. He did some that is does have some fillers. On a prepped surface Zaino will look fantastic. Then again any product would.

Mike Phillips
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by RamAirV1
Mike, you mentioned using Color X or Scratch X for surface prep. Which is more aggressive? How do they compare to MPC?

RamAirV1

Hi RamAirV1,

Two things,

ScratchX by hand is more aggressive as a paint cleaner. It is not recommended for use by machine. This last weekend, I demonstrated three times how to remove scratches with ScratchX by hand including my #2500 grit sanding marks.

ColorX is a very aggressive cleaner/wax, but because it's a combination, cleaner/polish/wax, it doesn't offer the dedicated cleaning ability that ScratchX offers.

That said, ColorX can be applied by machine. If your not removing scratches, but only removing oxidation it would be my choice over ScratchX with a PC. It does work very well by hand however.

How they compare to MPC is back to the hand versus machine. MPC can be used by machine while ScratchX cannot.

ScratchX is new technology, it uses a very special microscopic abrasive. MPC is an older formula, but it still works great as a paint cleaner by hand or machine on single stage and clear coats.

For me, I like to have one of each in my tool box, so to speak. I definitely like the ScratchX for removing scratches by hand on clear coats.

Mike

RamAirV1
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Mike, thanks for the clarification, I have used Scratch X recently to remove some minor scratches and it worked very well. It is best to let it dry before removal? That's what I've been doing with good results.

If Scratch X doesn't remove the swirls or scratches I go to MPC with the PC. And if that doesn't work I use DACP with the PC. If the MPC by machine doesn't work on a scratch, there's no point in trying #9 or #82. Or is there?

If I remember correctly, MPC is a step below DACP in aggressiveness, and the others are less aggressive. What I don't know is where #80 fits in.

RamAirV1

Mike Phillips
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by RamAirV1
Mike, thanks for the clarification, I have used Scratch X recently to remove some minor scratches and it worked very well. It is best to let it dry before removal? That's what I've been doing with good results.

If Scratch X doesn't remove the swirls or scratches I go to MPC with the PC. And if that doesn't work I use DACP with the PC. If the MPC by machine doesn't work on a scratch, there's no point in trying #9 or #82. Or is there?

No.

If I remember correctly, MPC is a step below DACP in aggressiveness, and the others are less aggressive. What I don't know is where #80 fits in.

RamAirV1

#80 Speed Glaze is a unique product that kind of fits around the #83, #82, #9 range of products.

It is very rich in polishing oils like the #7 and uses a diminishing abrasive kind of unique to itself. Plus, it does offer the paintable polymer protection that no other paint product in the Meguiar’s line offers and only one other company that I know of offers something similar to it.

It's one of those products, (like many others), that you really need to try in order to see if you like it.

Mike

RamAirV1
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks Mike. I have #83, #82, #81, MPC, and Scratch X. Might as well get some #80 too. The local PBE dealer said it is one of the most requested products by body shops.

I have a small ding on the front bumper of my GTO that Pontiac is going to fix as it happened during transport. I can use the #80 on that area while the paint cures.

RamAirV1

jfelbab
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Antonio Wright
In defense of Z5. Sal,even said that Z5 was not meant to remove swirls. He did some that is does have some fillers. On a prepped surface Zaino will look fantastic. Then again any product would.

Strange, that is completely contrary to what they say about Z5 on their website.

mopar
Jun 7th, 2004, 08:14 PM
i to bought the whole zaino line up.i mean everything plastic polish,glass polish,z2,z5,the car wash,gloss enhancer spray.etc.
i washed with dawn and then clayed and then put 2 coats of z5 on and then one coat of z2.4 days later put one coat of z5 on and then 2 of z2.then 6 days later i put 3 coats of z2 on.then i let it go for about 2 weeks my paint didnt look as "warm" or real it had a nice shine but looked "fake"the car wash dint last all that long .one day i got fed up with mixing polishes in test tubes.i washed with dawn again and then put one coat of nxt on and in my opinion it blew zaino right out the water.2 weeks later i put a coat of show car glaze and #26 hi tech yellow wax on and have never looked back.once again meguiars had proven to me that they make great products and why i am goign to be a long time customer.oh ya and on a side note the canadian megs site finally has ordering avialable for anybody in canada that didnt know .

Newport Viper
Jun 7th, 2004, 09:08 PM
My story and pictures here!
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32378&highlight=NXT+Viper

mopar
Jun 8th, 2004, 05:44 AM
wow! ^^that is one nice car.

Newport Viper
Jun 8th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words:)