PDA

View Full Version : Backing plate coming apart.

atikovi
Mar 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM
The last time I removed a pad from my PC it also tore off the velcro on the backing plate. I tried to glue it back with contact cement but that only lasted a few minutes. Any other solution besides buying a new b.p.?

BINGO53
Mar 27th, 2008, 05:48 AM
You might try Gorilla Glue. THROUGHLY prep both surfaces, as in remove all adhesives, product, dirt etc. Wipe both surfaces with acetone (real acetone, not nail polish remover) Have ready a heavy weight and a solid surface to clamp the two pieces together. G-Glue will foam up and spread so it is essential to get a tight "clamping force" on the glue joint. Let dry overnight, trim the excess from the edges, and see what happens.

I understand that it is rare that backing plates fail, but just for insurance I bought a spare to keep around just in case. When does a backing plate fail? In the middle of a major detail job, right after doing just one side of the hood!

Not a gauranteed repair, but I have used the G-Glue to get a little extra life out of a failed pad or two.

EAT HEMI
Mar 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I'd just ante up for a new one - the risk of damage far outweighs the $15.

FastOne
May 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'd just ante up for a new one - the risk of damage far outweighs the $15.
I'd LOVE to know where you can buy a backing plate for $15... Cheapest I can find is $23 at ADS.

Nappers
May 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The new W67DA is 14.95 at ADS.

I would buy a new one.

I have an extra one, PM your address and when I get off of nights, I can mail it to you. I got a new one when I sent my G100 to MOL open garage and it came back with the new W67DA and I can offer my old backing plate in return. Would be bad if it came apart and you ground the paint without the pad :eek:

Aaron

J. A. Michaels
May 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM
The new w67da is a very good backing plate. I tried mine out last week. It just seemed to be better then the original backing plate.

Sydster
May 13th, 2008, 02:50 AM
The new w67da is a very good backing plate. I tried mine out last week. It just seemed to be better then the original backing plate.

:iagree: