PDA

View Full Version : How long should my backing plate last?

Sprzout
Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
I've been reading some threads on here and Autopia that make me wonder how long the backing plates last...I'm worried that it might just up and fail with no hint of possible failure.

Nobody's said how long they were using their backing plates before failure, so I'm just curious what the life expectancy of the backing plate is.

onawrxhigh
Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
I've been reading some threads on here and Autopia that make me wonder how long the backing plates last...I'm worried that it might just up and fail with no hint of possible failure.

Nobody's said how long they were using their backing plates before failure, so I'm just curious what the life expectancy of the backing plate is.

Sprzout,

Before Meg's redesigned their G100/G110 backing plate I had the one that came with my G100 for the entire time that I owned the machine(5 years ). My only problem was that after a while the velcro around the outside edges started to lift away from the backing material. Other than that mine worked fine.

Andrew

Mike Phillips
Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Velcro does in fact wear out, the little little hooks on the black part stretch out and as they stretch out the loose their ability to hood to the white portion usually on the foam pad. This is normal wear and tear and happens when you remove a pad from the Velcro backing plate which is unavoidable as most of us change pads.

When you find it's wearing out, simply purchase a back up backing plate and keep it handy for when you need it.

yalerd
Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Velcro does in fact wear out, the little little hooks on the black part stretch out and as they stretch out the loose their ability to hood to the white portion usually on the foam pad.

This is exactly was happen but other than that no issues here.
3 years working with that backing plate, with my new G110 I guess it's time to give it a rest and buy my back up backing plate:)

eyezack87
Apr 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I got the old batch of plates from LC and it melted on me and my friend. Luckily it didn't touch my paint but be careful with the LC backing plate ;)

I got 2 from both from LC and the reseller I bought it from, good customer service of both lol :)

roushstage2
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
This is exactly was happen but other than that no issues here.
3 years working with that backing plate, with my new G110 I guess it's time to give it a rest and buy my back up backing plate:)
Same here. Mine wouldn't hold a pad anymore. I'd put it on, and it would fall right off. I bought a new one before though. I don't remember when they stuck on there that well!

eyezack87
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Um...I just melted the replacement one from LC...this is the 3rd time I've used it...

yalerd
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Um...I just melted the replacement one from LC...this is the 3rd time I've used it...

Buy a Meguiar's backing plate, you won't regret it. Never had a problem, just normal wear :bigups

eyezack87
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Buy a Meguiar's backing plate, you won't regret it. Never had a problem, just normal wear :bigups

Yeah, I am currently considering that right now. That and the EDGE system as well...