PDA

View Full Version : My PC really cuts!!!! OUCH!

Justin Murphy
Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry for the pun but this is what happens when you disrespect a power tool.

I turned my PC off of speed six and went to sit it down. Seems that the adapter that allows me to use my rotary backing plates on the PC opens up a dangerous gap. My finger slid into this area catching the counter weight. It broke the tip bone, crushed my nail, and caused seven stitches worth of damage. Hurts a ton and is a pain to type with!

The pics.........
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/1207269411.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/1207269432.jpg

BlueZero
Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
:eek:

Ouch!

Heatgain
Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Some 80 followed up by 2 coats of 21 oughta handle that.

spence82
Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
ahh put some duct tape on er she'll be better than new

THE BIG BUFFER
Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Ouch!:eek: That looks painful dude. Glad you still have a finger! I once had the power cord on my rotary get cought up in the pad/plate when polishing. Cord was over my shoulder at the time and wrapped around my neck..tightly. But I don't tell people that story..too embarassing:D

Derrick
Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM

:iagree: :LOLOL: :xyxthumbs

seanbreaux
Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Super Glue FTW!

:rofl:

yalerd
Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
OUCH!
That seems to hurt

I would try #105 instead of #80, seems like a deep scratch!:)

Hope you get well soon bro, take care

onawrxhigh
Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
When I was employed with a deck building company one of my coworkers was using a chop box(power miter saw). He was cutting 4x4's for center board spacers and the saw kicked back. He instantly grabbed his hand and went the whitest shade of white I have ever seen on a person. All of use including him thought he lost all of his fingers. Once he let go of his hand we were able to see that his hand only got slammed very hard between the 4x4 and the saws fence. His hand was numb for a little while and 2 finger nails turned black but that was the extent of the damage to his hand. He was very lucky that his hand was far enough away from the blade when it kicked back or he would have lost half of 4 fingers. Always respect POWER TOOLS you never know when they will bite back.

Andrew

Sydster
Apr 4th, 2008, 12:54 AM
That must really hurt! :eek:

J. A. Michaels
Apr 4th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Glad you did not loose the finger. It looks like it hurts from here. Ouch :eek:

Justin Murphy
Apr 4th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks guys for the concern. It could have been worse. Iwas just careless but this adapter opened up an area that I was not used to at all. I'll take some pics of it and see what you all think.

By the way, it's going to need some 600 grit wetsanding THEN #95/wool THEN #105/wool THEN #80/finishing pad. NXT2.0 makes everything on this planet look better so a layer of it too!

netspec
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
ahh put some duct tape on er she'll be better than new
:iagree: Those finger injuries close to the tip can be a problem! Be sure to keep it clean and you'll be fine!

[Edited for implied language. Please refer to the MOL Forum Rules; thanks, Tim]

yalerd
Apr 4th, 2008, 05:36 AM
By the way, it's going to need some 600 grit wetsanding THEN #95/wool THEN #105/wool THEN #80/finishing pad. NXT2.0 makes everything on this planet look better so a layer of it too!

:rofl::rofl:
Yeah you have to go aggressive on this one:rofl:

Jossy92
Apr 4th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Don't be embarrassed.

I did the same thing when I opened my car door. Created a dangerous gap big enough for a man to crawl through. Can't believe I did it.

Luckily when I slammed the door I had only inserted my thumb. Lost the nail, hurt a bunch.

g88
Apr 4th, 2008, 07:26 AM
sorry to hear/see this. hope you get well some and continue your detailing passion ;)

Mike Phillips
Apr 4th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident, thanks for sharing this with our forum however as it's a reminder to everyone to keep safety in mind when using any kind of power tool.

:xyxthumbs

Justin Murphy
Apr 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident, thanks for sharing this with our forum however as it's a reminder to everyone to keep safety in mind when using any kind of power tool.

:xyxthumbs
That's exactly why I posted this.

Thanks Mike.

Hemin8r
Apr 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.
I once made the mistake of trying to clean off my pad while it was on the rotory similair to how I clean it when the pad is on the PC. That's a no no. The terry cloth gripped the pad more than I thougt it would & I almost thought I was going to brake my wrist. Luckily I had it at a low rpm. Thanks for sharing. I think it really is important to share these type of stories to prevent less injuries. Hope your finger heals well buddy!

JG_Detailing
Apr 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
You should use a cleaner wax on it before appling 2 coats of 21 oughta first.

kellyinkc
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
OUCH!!!!! Sorry to hear that. I agree with Mike, safety is paramount with power tools. Just be glad your hand/wrist was not strapped to a rotary when that happened.

Glad you are OK and pointing out the dangers.

Kelly