PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how easy M83 is to use with the right technique!

InfiniteDetail
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Amazing how easy M83 is to use with the right technique! (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23577)

Some of you may have read the thread I posted a week or two ago called "PC 7424 first use - what am I doing wrong?"

With some great tips and advice I was able to get some decent results using M83 and a W-8006 foam pad. It was hard work! I was having trouble getting the M83 off, seemed like I had to use QD and really scrub at it. Also it seemed I had a lot of dusting and had to make 4 or 5 passes to see any real results.

Well, last night I had some time so I thought I'd give it another try, but this time I was going to experiment with the amount of product. I used only 3 pea-sized drops of M83 on the pad, worked a small 12x12 area and found to my astonishment that the residue wiped right off very easily, and I could see the difference in the area I had just worked compared to the surrounding area! I made 2 passes using only 2 pea-sized drops of M83 on the pad for each 12x12 section, and I cleaned the pad on the fly between applications.

I was thrilled to see that 2 passes of M83 the right way accomplished what 5 passes required the last time (not to mention the huge amount of product used on the 1st try).

On my first attempt, I did only the edge of the fender to the crease in the hood. This time, I ran tape down the center of the hood and worked only on the driver's side. Here's some shots:

Bad swirls and holograms
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/swirls1.jpg

After:
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/after19.jpg

50-50
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/50-50.jpg

50-50 from another angle
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/50-50_2_.jpg

Lessons Learned:

1. Don't apply too much product! Saturating the pad makes the product much less effective and very hard to remove the residue.

2. Keep the pad clean! Clean the pad after every application so it can spin freely and work on the paint.

3. Place a mark on the top of the pad so you can tell if it's spinning. This tip actually helped me to sort out my issues. Applying too much product resulted in gummed up pad that wouldn't spin. A fresh pad with the right amount of product spins freely and does a lot more work with a lot less effort!

I hope my experience will help someone else avoid my mistakes :bigups :bigups

hacker-pschorr
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Good tips - I discovered the same thig with 83 this week trying out the G110 for the frist time. Too much product = PIA to work with!!!

J. A. Michaels
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Great results. Now your talking. Thanks alot for sharing your tips. I am sure it will be helpful to others. Great work.

InfiniteDetail
Apr 26th, 2008, 04:29 PM
:doublethumbsup2Oh yeah, special thanks to Nappers' comments on "I got some M83 .. have a couple of questions" thread.

I followed his technique :doublethumbsup2

Nappers
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
THAT IS AWESOME!

Those half and half photos really show what you did.

Good show!

It's nice to see your car when you come out of a store into a parking lot and what you used to see eh?

Glad I could help. Always nice to see someone benefit from my experience as I too am still learning.

Aaron

Sydster
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
:goodjob1 and thanks for sharing!

Ticman
Apr 27th, 2008, 07:35 AM
:goodjob1 83 is one of my favorite's.....

yalerd
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Glad it turned out right for your
Pictures look great by the way

InfiniteDetail
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I can't rave enough about this forum...It's all positive and upbeat (not critical like other forums I've been on). My foray into detailing has been a very enjoyable and rewarding experience so far, thanks to you guys on this forum :coolgleam

:dancing3

J. A. Michaels
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Glad everything is working good for you. Great work. Picyures look great. Thank you for sharing.

navyblue2000
Apr 28th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I will remember this! Thanks for sharing your info. I always suspected I was being somewhat liberal when applying 83.

NitrousG35
Apr 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM
OP, thanks for the insight on the proper usage of #83. Your pics of the updated buffing were spectacular. I just bought some #83 and have been wondering about how to use it correctly. Now I know. Thanks again. :doublethumbsup2

InfiniteDetail
Apr 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm glad that my lessons learned might help you, it makes the time and effort required to write it up worth it :D

I did another round last night using speed 6 this time and got even better results. I was previously overly fearful of 'overworking the product' to a dry buff, but have found that I wasn't working it enough. I was able to get the same results with 1 pass using speed 6 and working it a bit longer than I did with 2 passes on speed 5 and not working it enough. Now, the overall time I worked it with speed 6 was less that the overall time with speed 5, but the product was physically broken down more...does that make sense?

I'm a true believer in M83, and love working with it :dance1

NitrousG35
Apr 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the tip about using speed #6 instead of 5. I just need to be sure that I work the polish enough to get it broken down enough to bring out the finish I want. Sounds like the issues some of the people are having with #83 more to do with technique than anything.

InfiniteDetail
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Sounds like the issues some of the people are having with #83 more to do with technique than anything.

I agree with that statement. I was expecting M83 to be a pain to work with based on what I had read, and it was in the beginning. However a little experimentation and practice have allowed me to get the "feel" for it in terms of speed, pressure, amount of product to use, and how long to work it.

hacker-pschorr
May 1st, 2008, 06:23 AM
I did another round last night using speed 6 this time and got even better results.
Same here - 6 worked like a charm with my G110 + 83

I've been searching the forum trying to find out why speed 6 is not recomended.

InfiniteDetail
May 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
Same here - 6 worked like a charm with my G110 + 83

I've been searching the forum trying to find out why speed 6 is not recomended.

I was wondering the same thing...please post what you find out...thanks :D

96Lude
May 1st, 2008, 06:58 AM
I think I was using too much product last time also.

Thanks for posting those tips!

Hemin8r
May 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM
I was wondering the same thing...please post what you find out...thanks :D

I think it was becasue speed 6 would heat up the adhesive on the backing plate much faster and when pulling the pad off the velcro of the backing plate would start to peel off as well. I think that was one of the reasons.

Jokeman
May 1st, 2008, 07:23 AM
Very nice work:cool: Detailing is a lot of learning time and trial and error.

InfiniteDetail
May 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
I think it was becasue speed 6 would heat up the adhesive on the backing plate much faster and when pulling the pad off the velcro of the backing plate would start to peel off as well. I think that was one of the reasons.

Very interesting - I did notice that the velcro backing on my pads seems to have come loose a little around the edges. I wonder if simply letting it cool before removing the pad would alleviate this problem?

VonLego
May 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
I ran through 12 ounces of 83 with poor results. I'll order another and try it again!

Mike Phillips
May 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM
Lessons Learned:

1. Don't apply too much product! Saturating the pad makes the product much less effective and very hard to remove the residue.

2. Keep the pad clean! Clean the pad after every application so it can spin freely and work on the paint.

3. Place a mark on the top of the pad so you can tell if it's spinning. This tip actually helped me to sort out my issues. Applying too much product resulted in gummed up pad that wouldn't spin. A fresh pad with the right amount of product spins freely and does a lot more work with a lot less effort!

I hope my experience will help someone else avoid my mistakes :bigups: bigups

Thanks for sharing what you learned by typing it up and including photos, this is the kind of valuable post that will help others into the future as well as earn a spot in our "Hot Topics" forum. It also continues the legacy and philosophy MOL is known for and that's...

"Each one teach one"

4 Bows

:bow :bow :bow :bow

InfiniteDetail
May 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM
I ran through 12 ounces of 83 with poor results. I'll order another and try it again!

That was *exactly* how my first attempt went! Try 2 pea sized drops of product and working it a little longer at speed 5. I was afraid I'd go to a dry buff and mar the paint if I went too long, but that didn't happen. On a 12x12 area, I made 3 passes in each direction moving slowly.

Nappers
May 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
I used 1/2 a bottle (32oz). LOL.

Then figured out what I was doing wrong.

Good Show KerrinJeff!

Aaron

InfiniteDetail
May 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for sharing what you learned by typing it up and including photos, this is the kind of valuable post that will help others into the future as well as earn a spot in our "Hot Topics" forum. It also continues the legacy and philosophy MOL is known for and that's...

"Each one teach one"

4 Bows

:bow :bow :bow :bow

Wow I'm flattered! I'm just a rank amateur here, glad that I can be of any use :D

hacker-pschorr
May 1st, 2008, 09:40 AM
So far I haven't damaged the velcro backing plate nor have I turned 83 into a "dry buff" others keep bringing up.

I did however reach a point where the paint was really really warm to the touch.........I sprayed on some final touch to cool it off & the paint looked incredible!

YMMV - I'm not saying I recomend doing this...Scottwax3 I'm open to suggestions

InfiniteDetail
May 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM
My experience is exactly the same - no dry buff, gets a little warm, but wipes off looking great!

MrCLRider
Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:58 AM
I want to bring this topic up again, I went with kerrinjeff recommendations of the 2-3 pea size amounts on the pad..just a few little tweek questions about your process...the few small amounts, where are you placing them on the pad?? near center, half way, or near edge?? sorry but its been bugging me...also, I marked my pad so I could see rotation speed...if your pad is marked, at what rotation speed do you think your pad is moving...i'm trying to make sure i'm using enough pressure, or not too much..thanks guys

InfiniteDetail
Aug 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I want to bring this topic up again, I went with kerrinjeff recommendations of the 2-3 pea size amounts on the pad..just a few little tweek questions about your process...the few small amounts, where are you placing them on the pad?? near center, half way, or near edge?? sorry but its been bugging me...also, I marked my pad so I could see rotation speed...if your pad is marked, at what rotation speed do you think your pad is moving...i'm trying to make sure i'm using enough pressure, or not too much..thanks guys

I usully put them about 3/4 of the way out from center. Doesn't really matter that much though. You could put a drop in the center, a drop halfway out, and a drop by the edge if you like.

I like to see the pad spin about 1-2 times per second @ speed 6...make sure you have pads that can stand up to speed 6 before using it though!

Hope this helps :bigups

MrCLRider
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
so the 8006 pads wouldn't hold up?? that is what i'm using and they are brand new basically

InfiniteDetail
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
so the 8006 pads wouldn't hold up?? that is what i'm using and they are brand new basically

No, they won't hold up to speed 6. The new softbuff 2.0 pads will though.

Use Speed 5, it'll work just fine.

MrCLRider
Aug 25th, 2008, 03:48 AM
there is def a big difference from 5 to 6 in the speed settings...I used 5 yesterday..with your recommendation of just two pea sized amounts..worked great..still had some dusting though, I was cleaning the pad often...still a little confused on the dusting..its amazing how a little big goes a long ways..glad I read your post..thanks again

InfiniteDetail
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM
there is def a big difference from 5 to 6 in the speed settings...I used 5 yesterday..with your recommendation of just two pea sized amounts..worked great..still had some dusting though, I was cleaning the pad often...still a little confused on the dusting..its amazing how a little big goes a long ways..glad I read your post..thanks again

Great, glad to hear it's coming together for you :woot2

Keep experimenting with working time and size of the area you work, you'll get it dialed in the rest of the way in no time. Do you have any pics?

Also, one other thing I forgot to mention. I don't bother to "spread it out" before working. I simply turn it on speed 5 or 6 and start making passes. When I spread it out it seems to dust more.

Mike Phillips
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
so the 8006 pads wouldn't hold up?? that is what I'm using and they are brand new basically

The heat generated by the polisher will transfer to the backing plate and overtime will loosen the adhesive that holds the Velcro to the foam and on some backing plates it can loosen adhesive that holds the Velcro to the backing plate.

With our new W67DA Backing plate this isn't an issue as it is a one piece unit, therefore there is no adhesive.

:)

Mike Phillips
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM
No, they won't hold up to speed 6. The new softbuff 2.0 pads will though.

Use Speed 5, it'll work just fine.

Actually, at this time we still don't recommend using any of our foam pads at the 6.0 Speed Setting. It's mentioned in the threads announcing both the new cutting pad and polishing pad, it's not an issue for the finishing pad because you don't run a finishing pad at high speeds for any reason.

*New* For Summer 2008 - W8207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Polishing Pad (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25207)

*New* For Summer 2008 - W7207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Cutting Pad (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25204)

:)

InfiniteDetail
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM
my bad :D

RacerX88
Aug 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Pictures tell the story.... the right products for the right problems, applied correctly works every time! Nice work. Thanks for sharing the tips.

Sal329
Aug 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I still am amazed the great results I see with a DA and Meguiars pads (only because the size of the pads). I currently use 5.5" LC pads and get good results but on other places I hear people using anything bigger then the 5.5" and the results are terrable. I may have to try some Meguiars pads I guess. Would be nice to use a 6.5" pad with a DA and get the results I am after and use some 4" pads for some smaller areas. Hmmm going to see if my local shop carries the pads in stock.

eyezack87
Aug 25th, 2008, 08:38 PM
^^Actually Sal, I've been getting good results with a 6.5 LC orange pad. Lately I've been able to finish #83 down to a LSP ready state. It takes patience and a good technique but it is possible with practically any size pad I think. I have 6.5, 4, 3.5 inch pads btw :)

Tech154
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Great report, I hope I'll get them same results on my black '08 Impala. If I do you'll see my pics here...!

InfiniteDetail
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Great report, I hope I'll get them same results on my black '08 Impala. If I do you'll see my pics here...!

Be sure to post those pics! Follow 83 up with #80 or #82 and a finishing pad for stunning results :bigups

Lexus Guy04
Oct 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
GREAT thread Jeff! Very useful information. Thanks for taking the time to post.

InfiniteDetail
Oct 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
GREAT thread Jeff! Very useful information. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thanks, I'm just happy that others find it useful. I've probably detailed a dozen cars since I originally posted this thread, and it just keeps getting better and funner.

I look back now, I was so frustrated during that initial learning process that I nearly gave up. I'm happy I stuck with it and thanks to the great help available on this forum, I was able to get past my issues and find a truly enjoyable and rewarding hobby. :bigups

jamesqjr
Oct 31st, 2008, 04:58 PM
:goodjob1WoW great results. i think i'll try this on the truck.