PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasives technology and Meguiar'

michaeld0983
May 4th, 2008, 02:19 AM
What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive technology and Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive technology? (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23748)

Hello guys,

Can you tell me the differences between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasives technology and Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive technology?

Thanks

asim_296
May 4th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I believe diminishing abrasive refers to the cleaner which has polishing action after you work it in your paint it's goin to break down and enrich your paint depth and gloss.

I wish i'm correct :D

michaeld0983
May 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
same with you, i think the abrasive will become finer and finer when you work on the product. but i don't exactly know about super micro abrasive:sosad1

Mike Phillips
May 4th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Mike Pennington touches on what information we can and cannot share a about our proprietary information on page 4 of this thread,

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21694

There's another thread somewhere where either he or Jason Rose discusses, not sure where that's at but on Monday we'll look for it.

:)

michaeld0983
May 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Mike Pennington touches on what information we can and cannot share a about our proprietary information on page 4 of this thread,

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21694

There's another thread somewhere where either he or Jason Rose discusses, not sure where that's at but on Monday we'll look for it.

thanks mike

Mike Pennington
May 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Hello guys,
Can you tell me the differences between super micro abrasive that we found in m105 and the diminishing abrasive?
Thanks

DAT
Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasives Technology
Abrasives that actually break down as you use them. For example, they may start out a certain size or shape, and during the buffing cycle, they will actually breakdown to nothing, so there are only polishing oils working for you. We pioneered and have been utilizing this technology for about 75 years in many of our compounds, cleaners, cleaner/polishes, and cleaner/waxes.

SMAT
Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasives Technology
With technology comes advancements. We simply developed a new style / mix of abrasive(s) we refer to as “Super Micro Abrasive Technology”. We can say, this new "style" of abrasives are very small and do not "breakdown" like OUR diminishing abrasive technology does. This new abrasive technology is exclusive to Meguiar’s and is not available to any other company.

With that said, unfortunately, we can’t go into any further details on either type of abrasive(s) because that is proprietary information.

Mike

Mike Phillips
May 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you Mike for clarifying the differences.

We're going to now move this to our Hot Topics forum as we're confident questions like the one asked in the thread will come up in the future.

:xyxthumbs

MandarinaRacing
May 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hello guys!

It would be nice to know which products utilize Diminishing Abrasives and which utilize Super Micro Abrasives. Just a thought.

Alex

Mike Pennington
May 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
M86 (So1o - Cut & Polish Cream), D151 (Paint Reconditioning Cream) & M105 (Ultra-Cut Compound) would fall into the "super micro abrasive" bucket. Even though they all use a different version / style of the "super micro abrasive".

M95 (Speed Cut) is a really blend of "diminishing" & "super micro abrasive"

All other cleaners, compounds, cleaner/polishes and cleaner/waxes, in our automotive line, would fall into the diminishing abrasive bucket.

The important thing to remember is....If the product works and exceeds expectations, that is the most important factor.

Please don't get hung up on the trees and miss the beauty of the forest :bigups

Mike

asim_296
May 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Mike
:iagree: Thanks anyway

MandarinaRacing
May 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM
The important thing to remember is....If the product works and exceeds expectations, that is the most important factor.

Mike

Well said Mike ! :werd1

michaeld0983
May 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive(s) - Abrasive(s) that actually break down as you use them. For example, they may start out a certain size or shape, and during the buffing cycle, they will actually breakdown to nothing, so there are only polishing oils working for you. We pioneered and have been utilizing this technology for about 75 years in many of our compounds, cleaners, cleaner/polishes, and cleaner/waxes.

Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive(s) - With technology comes advancements. We simply developed a new style / mix of abrasive(s) we refer to as “Super Micro Abrasive Technology”. We can say, this new "style" of abrasives are very small and do not "breakdown" like OUR diminishing abrasive technology does. This new abrasive technology is exclusive to Meguiar’s and is not available to any other company.

With that said, unfortunately, we can’t go into any further details on either type of abrasive(s) because that is proprietary information.

Mike
thanks for the answer mike. Now I'm understand the diffrences between them

Dav_C
Nov 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
With diminishing abrasives we know we need to work till it breaks down and sort of disappear, then we stop the buffer. Only with this way we can get good clarity.

However without diminishing abrasives, How do we judge when to stop?

Mike Phillips
Nov 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
With diminishing abrasives we know we need to work till it breaks down and sort of disappear, then we stop the buffer. Only with this way we can get good clarity.

However without diminishing abrasives, How do we judge when to stop?

When the defects are removed and/or you're satisfied with how the paint looks.

This is the amazing part about this new technology and is in part why there is a paradigm shift in how we think about abrasives and how they work on automotive paints.

This is also where it kind of throws a monkey wrench into the idea of using the least aggressive product to get the job done. We still teach that practice as it makes the most sense, but anyone that's used M105 by hand, that is anyone that's used our most aggressive product by hand knows how great it works and it's only as aggressive as you work it and it only abrades for as long as you work it and when you're done it leaves a clear finish.

Shazam!

Boba
Dec 4th, 2008, 01:04 PM
This is also where it kind of throws a monkey wrench into the idea of using the least aggressive product to get the job done. We still teach that practice as it makes the most sense, but anyone that's used M105 by hand, that is anyone that's used our most aggressive product by hand knows how great it works and it's only as aggressive as you work it and it only abrades for as long as you work it and when you're done it leaves a clear finish.

Shazam!

Mike, does this mean that M105 can be used to remove swirls anywhere from very light to very deep, and would not use the concept of "work your way down the aggressiveness?"

Mike Phillips
Dec 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Mike, does this mean that M105 can be used to remove swirls anywhere from very light to very deep, and would not use the concept of "work your way down the aggressiveness?"

Yeah, kind of does... that's the monkey wrench part...

Meguiar's still recommends using the least aggressive product to get the job done however.

For example if M205 will get the job done then don't start with M105

If SwirlX will get the job done, then don't start with Ultimate Compound.

That's where testing to a small spot comes into play before going over the entire car.

ghaines
May 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Mike: Reading the above... would you go from Swirlx straight to a wax like NXT 2.0 or would you suggest a step in between (like a polish) assuming you've removed the swirls?

Mike Phillips
May 13th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Mike: Reading the above... would you go from Swirlx straight to a wax like NXT 2.0 or would you suggest a step in between (like a polish) assuming you've removed the swirls?

After SwirlX go straight to wax assuming your test spot resulted in a smooth, clear finish.

Always do a test spot for your process and that way you insure your final results will be great.

ghaines
May 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Mike: Last question on this topic... I see many posts that reflect multiple corrective steps: Ultimate Compond or #105 followed up by #83 or #205, then go to a pure polish then wax? Your suggesting finding the corrective step that addresses the issue then straight to final application of wax or sealant? Do the additional steps offer something that I'm missing, or is this not necessary?

Bounty
May 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM
M86 (So1o - Cut & Polish Cream), D151 (Paint Reconditioning Cream) & M105 (Ultra-Cut Compound) would fall into the "super micro abrasive" bucket. Even though they all use a different version / style of the "super micro abrasive".

M95 (Speed Cut) is a really blend of "diminishing" & "super micro abrasive"

All other cleaners, compounds, cleaner/polishes and cleaner/waxes, in our automotive line, would fall into the diminishing abrasive bucket.

Just to clarify for some of those reading this for the first time...this was posted over a year ago. Since then new SMAT products include Ultimate Compound, Swirl-X, M205, etc.

Didn't want anyone to grab M205 or UC and try to work it like a DAT compound. Dangers of reviving old threads...lol

Mike Phillips
May 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Do the additional steps offer something that I'm missing, or is this not necessary?

Generally speaking, if you break-up the paint polishing into multiple steps you'll usually get better results versus one or two steps, so yes there usually is a benefit to doing some final polishing work with usually a light cleaner/polish and a soft foam finishing pad.

How far you take your process depends upon your goal for the car and your passion for this craft. A lot of people looking for help on this forum are working on daily drivers and from what we've seen with these new products, it's possible to get LSP-ready results after one step using something like Ultimate Compound or M105 Ultra Cut Compound.

And this is key, for some people this is not only good enough the kind of results they're getting are more than they expected and hoped for so going to the waxing step fits their goals as a second polishing step may be more than they're interested in for a daily driver.

So each person has to weigh their options balancing their goals with what the car is used for, (show car or daily driver), and how much passion they are willing to invest into the project. In this case, passion means steps...

xantonin
May 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
So each person has to weigh their options balancing their goals with what the car is used for, (show car or daily driver), and how much passion they are willing to invest into the project. In this case, passion means steps...

Well said, this is my feelings exactly and I'm a man of passion in this hobby.

I'd much rather do all 5 steps in mainting my car's finish than cutting corners with mixes, even if the results were the same I enjoy taking the time for each step and watching the progress.

akimel
May 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'd much rather do all 5 steps in mainting my car's finish than cutting corners with mixes, even if the results were the same I enjoy taking the time for each step and watching the progress.

I want to be with you on this, especially concerning my personal car (my wife's daily driver, on the other hand, gets the one-step polishing treatment Mike speaks about); but my passion hits a wall by the end of the second full day of detailing. Two days is all the passion, energy, and time I can give, even for my Luthien. Must be old age. :(

ghaines
May 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM
This helps. Thanks for all the great direction.

G

rusty bumper
Jul 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM
...but my passion hits a wall by the end of the second full day of detailing. Two days is all the passion, energy, and time I can give, even for my Luthien. Must be old age. :(

I have to agree with you on this!

I don't have quite as much in the tank anymore.

rusty bumper
Jul 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Looks like SMAT abrasives could be a bit dangerous to the paint? Probably not, but it concerns me that the product is still abrading the finish instead of breaking down to nothing.

the_invisible
Jul 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Looks like SMAT abrasives could be a bit dangerous to the paint? Probably not, but it concerns me that the product is still abrading the finish instead of breaking down to nothing.

From what is being said about the differences between the two technologies, that seems to be the case.

However, given that SMAT is a technological improvement and possibly a replacement of DAT (as in the case with ScratchX and ScratchX 2.0), I would not worry about SMAT causing potential damage relative to DAT. The reason why the two technologies have not bee thoroughly explained is because such information is proprietory.

rusty bumper
Jul 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
From what is being said about the differences between the two technologies, that seems to be the case.

However, given that SMAT is a technological improvement and possibly a replacement of DAT (as in the case with ScratchX and ScratchX 2.0), I would not worry about SMAT causing potential damage relative to DAT. The reason why the two technologies have not bee thoroughly explained is because such information is proprietory.

Thanks for your post.

However, it would be nice if management could find some choice words to explain it just a bit better...if that's possible.