PDA

View Full Version : POLL - "Standard" Color of Foam Finishing Pads

Mike Pennington
May 5th, 2008, 06:58 AM
What is the "standard" color of a foam finishing pad?

rwisejr
Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
AS far as I know there is no standard !!!!

acsuppa
Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
I voted black because so one told me that way back. I also heard red was standard? Who knows. It probably is nothing. Everyone seems to use there own standard. I'm pretty confident in saying that Tan isn't

danponjican
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I think he is asking us what we think (our opinions - thus the poll) of when we think of a polishing pad. If I get where you are going with this Mike... yes, I think Meguiars should change their polishing pad to white or gray. Those seem to be the more popular and accepted colors for polishing pads. But my vote was for white. LC, Sonus and Edge all use this color as well as several other smaller manufacturers.

acsuppa
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think he is asking us what we think (our opinions - thus the poll) of when we think of a polishing pad. If I get where you are going with this Mike... yes, I think Meguiars should change their polishing pad to white or gray. Those seem to be the more popular and accepted colors for polishing pads. But my vote was for white. LC, Sonus and Edge all use this color as well as several other smaller manufacturers.

Oh? I took it as the question he asked "What is the "standard" color of a foam finishing pad?"

sixty7mustang22
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I voted grey. I wish there was an industry standard. It would make it easier to explain to people.

b2bomber
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I voted for black as I know of two brands that use black. but yeah, I wish they'd come up with an ISO-esque color for foam pads too - but then I guess every body would have to comply to a definite number of pad aggressiveness too.

hmm...

how about Brown, Black, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Gray, Indigo - say, for a certain aggressiveness scale.

acsuppa
Aug 30th, 2008, 06:00 AM
You know what I noticed the other day, the new Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Finishing Pad is now black? Hmmmmm.. That's strange Mike Pennington asked us the question and Meguiar's switched there Finishing pad from Tan to Black. I noticed it a while back I guess I never really paid attention since I still have a bunch of new "old" style pads. Yeah Mike P., why did Meguiar's decide to change the colors?

CAShine
Aug 30th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I voted no industry standard because I really didnt think there was one. I would be surprised if there was. Does the color of the pad matter?:confused:

Mikejl
Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
Mike Pennington,

Is the correct answer forthcoming? Or is there no correct answer?

:)

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Pennington
Nov 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
There is no true "correct" answer.

Perception is what we were interested in :D

Megafast13
Dec 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
I think yellow is the standard.

Bounty
Apr 27th, 2009, 11:05 PM
There is no true "correct" answer.

Perception is what we were interested in :D

In that case my perception is what I voted...that there is NO industry standard for coloring pads. In fact there's little industry standard for anything. Lake Country, Edge, Sonus, Flex, and Meguiar's all have different colors to denote different pad types. Sure some happen to overlap but this tends to cause more confusion than it settles.

Sure would be nice though to have one industry-approved standard for coloring...:xyxthumbs

Eddie6th
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I voted grey. I wish there was an industry standard. It would make it easier to explain to people.

I agree with you there.As far as i know,there is no standard?

Merlin
Jul 21st, 2013, 04:04 AM
Agreed!

I WISH there were standard pad colors that crossed all manufacturers.

E.G. When reaching for an orange pad or a black pad from different manufacturers I would like to know (without have to think or having to double check) that one is for polishing and one is for finishing. The orange pad from different folks may have special vendor specific characteristics but I would like to know orange is for polishing and black is for finishing etc. I vote for standard colors!

jfelbab
Jul 21st, 2013, 05:08 AM
It would be helpful if the industry decided on a uniform color or label but there are so many colors and some manufacturers have a real myriad of pad choices. A simple indicator on the edge of the pad would suffice to show the pad's purpose and aggressiveness. How about a designation like F1, F2, F3 - P1, P2, P3 - C1, C2, C3, etc., for Finishing Polishing and Cutting with a light medium and heavy pad in each line. A permanent marking or embossing on the edge of the pad would be useful for easy ID and to also see that pad is rotating when on a DA. I really don't care what color the foam is as long as I know its intended use. With Microfiber becoming my most used pads, I wish they came in a couple more grades and that they be clearly marked with such a label as well.

Just thinking out loud here. ;)

seth1066
Jul 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM
My solution is easy. I use all Meguiar's pads.