PDA

View Full Version : What is your sunglasses

dvtldav
Jun 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Since summer is here let's find out what everyone's favorite brand of sunglasses are. I have tried Oakley, Bolle, Maui Jim, and others. My favorite, hands down are Maui Jim. They are expensive but to me they are worth it. I have three pair & my wife has a pair. When I tried on my first pair I was hooked. The color rendition & optical clarity was unsurpassed.

Dave

Renny Doyle
Jun 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
You know what is cool...I find that I see left over smears or excess products left behind better with polarized sun glasses?

Anyone else note this?

TxRado
Jun 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Ray ban ftw!

Ryan L.
Jun 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm looking at getting the prescription Oakley Gascan Polarized sunglasses...they are expensive though.

Ryan

AeroCleanse
Jun 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Perscriptions

Andy M.
Jun 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Serengeti here.

J. A. Michaels
Jun 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I am old. Prescription clip ons. lol. Seriously.

Michael Stoops
Jun 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
In my prior life (ie, just before joining Meguiar's) Oakley was a client of mine so I've got several pairs of their sunglasses - among other things - and they even fully comped me prescription glasses, both sun and regular, before I had Lasik. Great company with excellent customer service and awesome products. Even before they were a client I wore nothing but Oakleys back when I was racing bicycles.

onawrxhigh
Jun 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I will have to say Oakley also. I have a pair of Half Jacket XLJ's and they have saved my eyes countless times when I have to qualify with my 2 weapon systems at work. Go to oakleys webs site and check out the impact test that they perform on video. they also show 2 other high end glasses(gucci, and another brand that has slipped my mind) These other glasses fail completely and would allow an object to impact you EYE. This is also why most of our military trops are using oakley's. Just my 2 cents.

Andrew

CWM3
Jun 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I wear Oakley Juliets and another pair that I don't know the name of. I also own an Oakley backpack. I love their products. I can back up what Mike stated about the company as well. When my Juliets became loose, and I lost a rubber piece, I sent it to them free of charge. Oakley fixed both issues and sent them back without charge to me.

Michael Stoops
Jun 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Oakley also offers hydrophobic polymer coating on many of their sport glasses. Sort of like NXT Tech Wax 2.0 or UQD for your eyes. :chuckle1:chuckle1

Mr Mustang
Jun 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM
This will be my next pair of sunglasses, too bad theyre so expensive
oakley juliet perscription polarized:
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v253/246/59/574700285/n574700285_892344_5989.jpg

Lt1Corvette
Jun 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I have several pairs of glasses for different occasions. Have good luck with Ray Bans over the years. My last two pairs have been high coverage Prada's.

RogueGypsy
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Wiley-X has become my shade of choice. I've worn Oakley's, Serengeti's, Sun Cloud's, Ray Ban's and many, many more. Polarized lenses are definitely the way to go. Polycarbonate lenses will afford all the ocular protection you will ever need from the dreaded sling. :D

http://www.wileyx.com/index.aspx

They even make excellent prescription lenses.

Kriez
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I wear Oakley Juliet's for my normal sunglasses. When biking I wear a pair of Tifosi glasses that are designed for road biking. The lenses have a slight red tint to them and they work like Transition lenses in that they can darken or lighten depending on the amount of light.

CAShine
Jun 7th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I love Spy Optics. They are big in the surfing/snowboarding crowd. I used to wear Oakleys but they can be a bit pricey and I find that now that dont have any styles that I like or would look good on me.

Nappers
Jun 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I typically like RayBan but currently have a pair of Arnette's, they are made by RayBan or so I'm told.....

I would like to try a pair of Maui Jim's. I owned a pair of Bolle's but the coating wore off and they wouldn't fix it. I had a nice pair of Ray Ban Daddy o's but I placed them on the car and they fell off and ultimately got run over by another car....:'(

I agree, I tend to find the LSP easier with polarized glasses on to make sure I get all of the wax off and/or UQD wiped nice. Easier on the eyes on the interior too if it's real bright outside.

L8R

Aaron

Justin Murphy
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Wal-Mart Renegades. 11.95. Polarized.

These are the best glasses for the money.......period. I'm an avid fisherman.....especially trout and these let me into the water perfectly. They are perfect for detailing also. Best part is the 11.95. I lost a pair of 100.00+ Oakleys and vowed never again. I'm telling you, try these. They are in the hunting and fishing section at Wal-Mart.

roushstage2
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Dragon Optics

Deaner5
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I lost a pair of 100.00+ Oakleys and vowed never again.

While I haven't bought a pair of $100+ sunglasses, I won't because I think I would lose them too. I usually go for the trendier and cheaper types like Dockers or Relic's for about $15 or so at Kohl's or JCPenney.

guitarman502
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Oakley here.... I actually have Oakley Sunglasses but with regular lenses with the transition.

angeloabbattista
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Killer Loop here

ColonelCash
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Smith Toasters. They have interchangeable lenses and are very easy to clean. Also, I've got the polarized lenses for them. Would highly suggest these glasses to anyone.

Also, for those who tend to lose glasses, pickup a pair of croakies.

Jokeman
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM
My girl got me a pair of Oakley Straight Jackets. I like them, Im just not used to wearing sunglasses so I forget to put them on.

sixty7mustang22
Jul 9th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Cheapest thing I can find at Wal-Mart.:woot2

I'm pretty rough on sunglasses so it is pointless for me to spend too much money on them.

Ryan L.
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Well after 3 tries I finally got my Oakley Gascan's and WOW, I love them. They are dark enough that you don;t have to squint into the sun, but light enough that you can still wear then in the shade no problem.

Ryan

spence82
Jul 24th, 2008, 05:08 PM
i just bought the most expensive pair i have had,$30!!they are orange county choppers brand.got em at Lowes.i like them very dark,and light,and dont hurt my big ears after wearing them for a long time.i would like to have a pair of $150 sun glasses cause i were them all the time but i just bring myself to it.maybe one day.

Nolan_k
Jul 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Wiley X ballistic shooting sunglasses.

jfelbab
Jul 25th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Transitions.

indigo s10
Jul 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
BluBlocker

retrofinisher
Jul 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Rudy Project's and Serengeti

Oakley's for about the longerst time till 2000

They break to easily with sun screens

mcox
Jul 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Maui Jims and absolutely love them. A bit pricey but.....

rescuenut10
Jul 31st, 2008, 06:41 PM
Believe it or not my favorite brand of sunglasses are from a saftey company that I deal with. There a $8 pair of saftey sunglasses.If I break or lose them, I'm not out a whole lot of cash.

08MKZ
Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have about 8 pairs of Oakleys. Just bought my first pair of Maui Jims. Still prefer Oakleys.

roushstage2
Aug 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I have a pair of $140 Oakleys and a pair of $65 Dragons. The Oakleys are my kinda like my work galsses now, plus the cushions on the arms are blistered and gooey (the gel from inside the cushions) so I can't wear them anyways unless I go and buy new ones. :rolleyes:

Dragon FTW!

seth1066
Aug 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
A nice clean MF towel cleans them with no spray or solution.

Rick McDonough
Aug 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Spy sunglasses for me.

PhotoRecon
Sep 4th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Has anyone tried or have any Julbo sunglasses?

I did a search of this thread but didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

irf@n
Oct 11th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Oakley - A Wire (Black) :)

gb387
Oct 11th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Mine are an older pair of Oakley, need to get a new pair but for now they work.

piloto117
Oct 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Love my Raybans, but have a pair of Maui J's, great pair and excellent customer support; had them repaired two times no charge at all!
If you're low on cash, walmarts renegades are a good bet! And yes, polarized is the way to go!

:D

Sandstone
Oct 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Ray Ban Wayfarer...Yeah I know they're old but they're prescription and until I lose them or break em I won't get another pair although I'm considering transition lenses for my next new set of glasses/lenses. Psst... the Ray Bans are 20 years old...take care of your stuff and it will last :xyxthumbs.

J. A. Michaels
Oct 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I broke down today. Had a eye exam. Ordered a regular pair of prescription glasses and ordered a pair of oakley prescriptions. I think I am getting more modern.:chuckle1

Sevy316
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Oakley minute, gray polarized
Oakley half jacket with Black Iridium, Polarized and additionally High Intensity Persimmon lenses (for fall/winter gloomy days)

BlueZero
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
What ever mommy gives me for free. :D

She works for an optometrist so I get left overs. Right now I have polarized Ray Bans, not sure of the model.

ClearlyCoated
Feb 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi-Tec for me. Suckers were on sale at Big 5 and I got em for $20. But traditionally, I'm a Ray Bans guy.

Crookster777
Feb 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Alpina M1's

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/crookster77789/Picture046-2.jpg

john m.
Feb 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well, i got three favorites, I have a pair of oakleys, some spy haymakers, and some ray ban avaitors and i really like them all, so i dont realy have a favorite lol

CieraSL
Apr 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm cheap. A $20 pair of Ironman sunglasses from Wal-mart for me. Works for me!

RaskyR1
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have always been a big Oakley fan but after losing several of them at the lake to the depths, I've switced to gas station specials.....for now at least. :D

Zuke
Jul 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Im a fan of Dragon, I have had 2 pairs for 2 years and they are still great!

Carfire
Jul 13th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ

MrCLRider
Jul 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I rock a pair of Revo's, made by Ray-Ban..polarized, which if you have never had polarized sunglasses I highly recommend a pair, its amazing the difference while driving..

Zuke
Jul 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
+1 with Rider, Polarzied lenes make a huge difference on glares too, awesome for wake boarding

Eddie6th
Jul 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I voted RayBan,as I still have a pair of Wayfairers/black.I also have another good quality pair,but can't remember the name?

when it comes to shades,i believe in quality to protect the eyes.

Sorry Billy,Dusty & Frank.......I will not 'Go an' get myself some Cheap Sunglasses'

:hotrod2

Mudman
Jul 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I wear mostly Oakleys, as I've got a few of their sunglasses. Including the Twitch, Juliet, and Crosshairs. I've also found Polarized lenses to be of great help when it comes to seeing swirls.

Jbirk
Oct 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I wear Oakley HiJinks because they fit my large head...

I am very particular when it comes to sunglasses... First I go to a store and try all the ones that might fit. Finally, once I make up my mind, I order online, get polarized lenses that block mostly blue light , then customize the color of the frames...

What is very important to me is optical clarity and robustness. I like the fact that the ones I buy are safety glasses. It may be helpful some day.

Golden
Oct 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Oakley Monster Pups- Polarized. Best glasses I've owned, hands down. I have had them almost two years now.

hacker-pschorr
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have 6-7 pairs of Oakley's, purchased my first pair back in 1990 or so.

Currently I wear X-Metal's. Sure they were $350+, I've been wearing them daily since 2001. On my third set of lenses.

Justin A
Oct 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I have a pair of Oakley Juliets that I've been wearing since high school (5 years), a pair of Smith Mainline Sliders that I've been wearing since middle school(9 years), and a pair of Oakley M Frames that I've had for about 3 years now.
I'm just about ready to take advantage of the Oakley warranty - my Juliets feel like they're about to fall apart (new bushings needed), and they need new lenses (I'll pay for the lenses), but from what I understand they'll take care of me pretty well. Those poor glasses have seen some serious abuse - I left them on top of the wing of an airplane once and didn't notice until I had taxied to the run up area whereupon they fell off and were thrown by the propwash. I figured they were toast, but they had a small scratch on one of the lenses. Amazing engineering...

roushstage2
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:24 AM
My expensive Oakley's have become my "beater" glasses. I still keep the Dragon sunglasses in the Mustang. However, my GF did buy me a pair of Black Vinyl BluBlocker Aviators that I have wanted (think Alan from "The Hangover"). They rock!

LelandGray
Mar 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I've always worn Oakleys. My current pair are Polarized E-Wires. I think they were like $285 when I bought them, I've had them for about 6 years now. It's about time to replace them though, my puppy got ahold of them one day and scratched up my lenses with his teeth.

I used to sell Oakleys when I was in high school, the bike shop I worked at carried them. Because of that I was able to participate in some training sessions with Oakley reps. I will probably never wear a different brand. Oh, do I miss the Oakley employee discount!!

Bill Davidson
Apr 9th, 2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfolder/celebrity-sunglasses/movie-sunglasses/csi-miami-horatio-sunglasses/csi-miami-horatio-caine-sunglasses.jpg

I have a pair of Vuarnet sunglasses similar to Horatio, except I'm not a dork.

Megafast13
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Nothing beats Oakley baby. Just picked up a pair of these:

http://www.skateboard.com/imgs/p_14212.jpg

Bill Davidson
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.skateboard.com/imgs/p_14212.jpg

I wonder what Horatio would look like with
Oakleys :chuckle1

FRS
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Revo here (made in Italy)...

:wavey

dieselracer
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I have been using Maui Jims, for flying my Rc Helicopters, I also use Hitecs for everyday use....

RBBTCAR
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Oakley all the way!!!party:

boiler7904
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
My regular prescription glasses are a pair of Oakley Sculpt 6.0. Sunglasses are Oakley Whisker with polarized lenses. Got both back in April - found a crack in one lens of the sunglasses a couple of weeks ago so the optometrist's office is working with Oakley to get the lens replaced.

1970judge
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I have a pair of ray bans that I have had for a while (they cost me 300$ for the frames and perscription lenses) so I make them last. I am looking into a set of Maui Jims though.

Ravi_1992
Jul 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I work at a place called Essilor and we manufacture the lenses, prescription or non prescription, its the biggest lenses making company in the world , any ways, I get sun glasses either for free or very cheap. I have a pair by Hugoboss, Lacoste, Fossil and a pair of safety sun glass from home depot

oldmodman
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Prescription mirrored Revos. The look similar to Gargoyles.

Sean Conrad
Nov 17th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I've worn Oakleys for the last 10 years or so. I love them. I had a fire at my apartment and it melted my Oakleys, but I still had the receipt so I went back to the store and they gave me a MAJOR discount on a new pair. Polarized lenses are the only way to go. For people who want to be on the cheap but want some good polarized glasses go to Wal-Mart and in the fishing section they have some Berkeley fishing glasses that are pretty good.

_Rodrigo
Nov 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Have some pairs from Ray-Ban but I really like Oakley sunglasses. I have Joliet, A-Wire and most recently Whisker.

Carfire
Dec 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Oakley all the way!! I have two different pairs and I love them to death. I never go anywhere without my Oakleys!

Kyle R
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I got a pair of sunglasses for my 350z last week. It's called 1% tint all around :)

kevblah
May 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
My favorite and only pair of sunglasses, from the Louis Vuitton Summer 2010 collection.

Use to have a pair of Ray-Bans, but threw them out because they were too small for my taste.

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn414/ilvoelv/ILVOELV2/sun15.jpg

jaymz
May 14th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I never spend more than $20 on sunglasses. I either lose them or sit on them.

Jim

Carolina08
Jul 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have a pair of Costa Del Mar's with the green mirror! I love em, and the cost of them make me take better care of them.

ChevysLastSled
Jun 16th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I started wearing oakleys about 6 months ago. I currently own 5 pairs. I really like their sport frames with polarized lenses(Flak Jackets and Jawbones are my favorite).
My daily pair right now are custom Flak Jacket XLJ. Smoke gray, red ear socks, blk iridium polarized lenses. I even have a set of clear lenses for when I need to wear safety glasses for 8+ hours.

vetted
Jun 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I use Revo, they're awesome.

billoftt
Jun 26th, 2012, 06:21 AM
My favorite sunglasses (being the cheapskate that I am) are the amber colored polarized fishing sunglasses that are about 12 bucks at Walmart. They are cheap, almost disposable and the amber tint with the polarization makes seeing rather clear, even in the rain. I am sure that the high dollar ones are good, if not better, but I cannot argue with the price.