PDA

View Full Version : Best Clay when using NXT products

99BlackStangMan
Mar 10th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I have thing of Clay Magic blue clay, but I was just wondering if Meguiars clay is a better product? Main reason I bought the Clay Magic stuff is because it was 10 bucks, compared to meguiars 18 bucks....i know im a cheap *** sometimes. Is there a difference between the two? Thanks guys-

B

Slats
Mar 10th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I have not used Meguiar's clay yet. I couldn't find it in the stores so I too bought the $10 Clay Magic. It works really well, and can be used with Quick Detailer when you run out of clay "lube". When I replace the clay I plan to try Meguiars.

Slats

99BlackStangMan
Mar 11th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Quick detailer?

Is this a meguiars product? Sorry, im new to the whole detailing thing.

B

mhoffman
Mar 12th, 2004, 06:05 PM
I've used Clay Magic before and it was an alright product. When I ran out I picked up a pack of Quik Clay that comes with the Quik Detailer. You can buy the Quik Clay for around $10 here on the website. The Quik Detailer can be used with the clay as an excellent lubricant or by itself after washing or in between washings. It leaves an excellent shine. If your clay isn't worn out or you aren't out of clay lube stick with the Clay Magic for now. When you run out go and pick up a package of Quik Clay. You can also pick up a bottle of Quik Detailer separately for a reasonable price if you want.

I haven't used any of the Professional Clays yet. What are some people's experiences with them?

99BlackStangMan
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Well....I started claying yesterday, got the front bumper, hood and fender done so far. About how long does it take you guys to do a whole car? Just wondering because its my first time doing this.

RamAirV1
Mar 15th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Quite honestly I prefer the Clay Magic to the past Meguairs clay bars i have tired. Clay Magic requires less lube and does not leave clay on the paint. I have not tried Meguiar's newest clay bar but past ones have left clay smears on the paint from time to time, not a major problem but a minor annoyance.

Overspray Clay (Professional Line) is pretty good and is maybe a little bit better than Clay Magic at getting really bad contaminants off. The Overspray Clay will smear on the paint when it gets below 40° so use lots of lube to help prevent it.

I just clayed my new GTO over the past weekend. It was covered with rail dust. It took about 3 to 4 hours to do it. Claying is a PITA but it's the only way to get rail dust off without removing a lot of paint! Fortunately I don't have to do it very often.

Using MPPP as my sealant really cut down on the number of times I have had to clay to remove tar, road sealant and tree sap. I am expecting the same benefit from using NXT Tech Wax. When I used Gold Class or #26 I had to clay a lot more often.

Also when you are in the tree sap season it pays to QD your car/truck every day prevent the sap from adhering and requirina a clay job.

RamAirV1

99BlackStangMan
Mar 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
I clayed the front of the car on Sunday....and today its tuesday, do i have to re-wash the car again to continue claying, or is it OK if theres a small bit of dirt/dust on the car.

RamAirV1
Mar 16th, 2004, 11:47 AM
No you don't need to wash the car again unless it is extremely dirty (road salt, caked on mud, etc.). Just use a QD like Final Detail, Final Inspection (#34), or Quik Detailer. You could also use the Clay Magic 49 Body Shine (comes with the CM clay bar a.k.a. clay lube).

I didn't want to take my new car out in the snowstorm today so I took a vacation day. I'm going to clay, polish (#81) and wax (NXT) my rear bumper. Before I clay, I'll just use some Final Detail to remove the dust residue from the Monday commute. I'm almost done claying!

RamAirV1

99BlackStangMan
Mar 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Im going to clay:D

Cant wait to post pics.:)

Billorlando
Mar 16th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Ok claying

I have a couple of clays I use and meguair's clay is fine works well I hope all of you understand that you must keep the clay moist and water will not help I was reading the reply's and someone mentioned Final detail . This is really what final detail is for keep the clay moist with final detail and your car will come out very well. My shop clays a few cars maybe 20 a month however not all the cars get this treatment. Remember once your clay gets dirty fold the clay in this is a must and if you dropp it throw it away! It is useless then . By keeping the dirty side folded in you get te full advantage on using your clay. If you get clay smears use final detail and a micro fiber cloth to remove them not water and a cloth rag or you might as well throw the clay away. towels tend to keep soaps in them asa well as anything else you have ever placed on them and that tends to contaminate the paint surface you just clayed. Any way just remember by claying a car you are attempting to remove all contaminates from the paint ...Not put them back on ... As for the amount of time it takes to clay a car I had one guy on a car eight hours straight claying (He really did not like me after that ) Bill

RamAirV1
Mar 16th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Well said, Bill Orlando. I like to use Quik Detailer or Clay Magic Clay lube because they are cheaper. I wonder how #00 mixed with water would work. #00 has the lubricating quality that is sought after for wet sanding. Just a thought.

On some message boards, I read about people claying their cars in a half hour. I don't see how they can do it that fast unless they are just doing a small section. 8 hours sounds more like it! I spent at least 4 hours claying my new car to remove the rail dust. I wonder if any dealer new car prep employees know about clay bars and how to use them. Oh well, I'm better off doing it myself.

Claying is my least favorite detailing task, but it is a very necessary one.

RamAirV1

foris2
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Believe it RamAirV1 - I just clayed a Lexus Saturday that had paint overspray all over it and I clayed the entire vehicle is less than an hour. It never take me longer than an hour to clay a vehicle. I use clay magic and showroom shine as a lubricant.
showroom shine

RamAirV1
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I guess you're just more efficient than I am. If you were nearby I would have paid you to clay my car. It would have been worth it. Did you get evey bit of it? (That last one was my OCD kicking in.)

RamAirV1

foris2
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Yep, I got it all - and the surface of the vehicle was as smooth as glass, which made the wax (NXT Tech Wax) look awesome. When the owner saw the car he said "my goodness, what did you do to the car, it looks better than it did when it came off the showroom floor". I've got to get a digital camera so I can start posting some of my details.

Foris

RamAirV1
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Cool! Was that a new car? How did it get overspray on it? The reason I ask is that my GTO will have to go into the body shop in a few weeks to touch up a very minor paint chip that was discovered before delivery. It is very minor, not enough to refuse delivery, but nevertheless I want it fixed. I hope I don't wind up with overspray all over my car. I will not be a happy camper if I have to re-clay, and re-wax my car all over again!

Is it not unreasonable to expect a body shop to take steps to make sure the rest of the car is not covered with overspray?

RamAirV1

foris2
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:13 AM
It's a 2002 Lexus 430, gold in color. The roof of a church was being spray painted on a windy day thereby causing overspray to get on the Lexus and a few other cars. I don't think you will have to be concerned about your car when you take it to the body shop. Normally those guys do a good job.