PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's acquisiton by 3M

Mr Miyagi
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
From a product user standpoint, what do you think the impact of 3M's acquisition of Meguiar's will be?

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27025

BlueZero
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My first thought was "oh great, there goes Meguiar's". I figured they would just end up getting consumed by the giant 3M.

With the comments from the Meguiar's employees I now am looking forward to the future of Meguiar's. I was really surprised that Meg's only has 115 employees. They have really done some amazing things in the industry with such a limited staff. The addition of the budget and brilliant minds over at 3M should really give us some great products. I think both companies have a few things they could do better at and a few they excel at. If you can combine them and take the good points from each company, I think we will really be getting some amazing products.

Plus add in the Edge company and it makes it even better.

CAShine
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I think that since it would have to eventually incorporate each others products into one uniformed product line, I think Meguiars makes amazing products on their own. :xyxthumbsScottwax2Scottwax4The company has built itself a reputation that people know and trust. :goodjob1 3M is a large corporation that does not have a strong connection to their consumers as does Meguiars. :idea: Meguiars is a very interactive with its customers. There would be no synergy between the two companies. I dont think that it would be a good idea since the company is already successful on its own and there still are opportunities for growth. :thinking1

CarbonBlack
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I am pessimistic,

I see one of two outcomes:
#1: they leave meguiars alone, and they stay amazing.
#2: they get involved and mess meguiars up

However I will reserve judgment
-nick

Ryan L.
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Being young, I really don't have a solid idea about company buy outs (acquisitions) so I voted no opinion. I really don't know if it will be great or not, I can't imagine Barry letting his company go like that no matter the amount of money involved. I would like to think it will be great and we as consumers will never notice this change and I sure hope it wont affect those that I've become friends with over the years at Meguiar's.

Ryan

saturn2
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The big question is what happens to 3m's auto line.
1.) Does it disappear save for a few good products.
2.) If this move happens what Meg products could be on the chopping block.
3.) Customer service that's no brainer Meg's does a great job.
4.) The price might go up but Meg might have an ace up their sleeve on this one.

Nappers
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Seeing positive comments by Meguiar's keeps me as no opinion and will sit back and watch and pray that the company is not effected by the acquisition and that great products continue to come out.

ATSViper
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
It sounds like there is both positive and negative thoughts about this. It may be a good thing in having a bigger range of products, but it can be a bad thing and mess up something (Meguiar's) that is already an amazing thing. The only thing to do is to wait and see how it goes. :huh1

ZoranC
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:34 PM
What customers are _guessing_ does not matter, what matters is what actually happens. Without being able to foretell future this poll is as good as one "what we think winning lottery numbers will be". In other words: Worthless and not constructive, it does more harm than anything.

Therefore count my vote as under "None of the above, shoot this thread"

J. A. Michaels
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Not being a insider and knowing the exact points in the deal. One can only go by the general history of mergers/ acquisitions. The company that buys the other company has to put their blueprint on it.

I see in about 15 months, After a evaluation period, massive changes coming to Meguiars. It will be under the heading of " were streamlining the operation to end overlapping services. This is when the end is near.

I hope this day does not come. But I believe it is just a question of when, not if. I hope that all the employees of Meguiars are not effected by this. They are very good people.

This is my 0.02 about this. This is one time I hope I am dead wrong.

Justin Murphy
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:04 AM
What customers are _guessing_ does not matter, what matters is what actually happens. Without being able to foretell future this poll is as good as one "what we think winning lottery numbers will be". In other words: Worthless and not constructive, it does more harm than anything.

I actually agree with Z for a change.

taki0187
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:26 AM
ng

Jokeman
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Price changes....big deal, so you pay a little extra for compounds and polishes. Meg's current prices are well below the price of 3M and Menzerna currently. Look at #80, its about 16.99 for a 32oz bottle at Autogeek. Now look at Menzerna's PO85 Final polish at Autogeek...29.99. Unfortunately Autogeek doesn't carry 3M but something like Ultrafina is about 45-50 dollars a bottle at your local PBE store. All 3 of these polishes work very well. If the price of #80 goes up 50% your still looking at 25.50 a bottle....to me, still a good deal.

Add in the fact that 3M has some great products and obviously some unreal chemists. Put their brains together with the brains of the Meg's chemists and I think it is a good thing! Its a win, win in that aspect to me.

My only concern would be if 3M was to move the Meg's operations overseas. I hate it when big companies come in and give away american's jobs to foreign nations. Hopefully 3M will keep the Meg's employees right where they are.

Mikejl
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I voted no opinion yesterday. But, as I think about this, I don't think 3M would be crazy enough to screw around with Meguiar's in anyway that would tick off Meguiar's loyal following (us). Meguair's has a product and customer service formula that we love. If 3M changes any of that negatively they will decrease their profits.

As far as I am concerned they can mess with the prices if they want, but as long as they leave the 3 Mikes (Phillips, Stoops, Pennington), this forum, the open garages, the detailing classes, and the fantastic behind-the-scenes customer service in place, I will be happy.

Mike

Andy M.
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:54 AM
One can only hope that they will not change Meguiars. Though with all of this I am sure will come changes. Hopefully not to my friends at Meguiars or MOL.
Looking forward to some new and improved products. I always like to try new things. As long as they keep the standby products the same we will be OK.

IMHO it was a good idea for a poll to see what everyone else was thinking about this merger. Just my .02.

Andy

acsuppa
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
My main concern is product loss. I figure, why the heck would 1 company offer many products of the same type? Take pads for example. Meguiar's makes great pads(IMO) 3M makes great pads(so I've read) the Edge line of pads are really good(from what I've read). A company would be foolish to keep all those different pads that basically do the same thing. And that also applies to wax, conpound etc. Besides the different color or label, they for the most part do the same thing. I guess I'm not too worried since 3M makes great products. If a Meguiar's product was to be replaced with a 3M product, It would stink since I'm, used to Meguiar's but , at least it won't be replaced with ****.

3Fitty
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM
"what we think winning lottery numbers will be"

6, 9, 20, 21, 28, 30 (Megaball - 13) :chuckle1.

Bill Prentice
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I feel you have to look at the acquiring company. 3M is indeed big but doesn't have the reputation as a preditory corporation Also how can they stream line Meguiars any more that it has already been. To be the leader in the industry with slightly over 100 employees doesn't leave a lot of room for cuts... Seems like Megs doesn't run with a lot of fat.

3M just doesn't have the market presence that Megs does. If anyone should be worried it would be the similar division of 3M which I'm sure has a lot smaller market share with a whole lot more than 105 people...

And if 3M was smart they would make a major promotion for a 3M Sun Light for all of Meg's forum members. Perhaps they could buy the loyalty we all share with Meguiars and their staff. Jeez I hope I don't sound cheap.

Bill P.

Andy M.
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
6, 9, 20, 21, 28, 30 (Megaball - 13) :chuckle1.

JUST GREAT.......Now I have to go out and play them!!!!:furious1:chuckle1

Andy

TXShine
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Oh well..... it's all going to be Wal-Mart sooner or later anyway... why wait? :D

Seriously, what a cruddy move. No matter what anyone says or what happens from this point, you know this is one of the things (big corp. buying family/small business) that really bothers some people.

Really sad in my opinion.

[Edit: The language in this post has been edited to make it more family friendly. -Mike Phillips]

Maserati Mario
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I really don't know.
The Mikes say it's going to be a good thing. There on the inside and I hope, hope, hope there right. I've only been around for a year and loved every minute of it and I don't want it to go south. I just think I'm a spoiled OC guy! I know were so lucky to have a wonderful, spectacular, incredibly nice, awesome and sharing company in our back yard. I don't want that to change one bit! I really love Meguiar's! They're just a bunch of nice guys! (and I know of one girl who works there and I'm sure she's a great gal!) I thought this great attitude came from it being a family business, that's what I don't want to change, THE PEOPLE!!! That's what makes a great company!
(:bawling1damm, I'm tearing up!:bawling1 What a little girl I am! LOL!)

3Fitty
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
JUST GREAT.......Now I have to go out and play them!!!!:furious1:chuckle1

Andy

Andy,

You obviously have NOT read the lottery fine print. You can only win the lottery if you have dentures (or no teeth at all), live in a trailer and think "steak and eggs" is fine dining. :chuckle1

dvtldav
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Andy,

think "steak and eggs" is fine dining. :chuckle1

If "steak & eggs" isn't fine dining, then what is. I guess the next thing you are going to say is "fried bologna" is gross, and I shouldn't eat spam or Vienna sausages.

Andy M.
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Andy,

You obviously have NOT read the lottery fine print. You can only win the lottery if you have dentures (or no teeth at all), live in a trailer and think "steak and eggs" is fine dining. :chuckle1

Your right, I just checked the back of the ticket. You also have to live in the midwest, and be to old to enjoy the winnings anyway.:chuckle1

But if I hit, your in.....

Andy

ZoranC
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
... and think "steak and eggs" is fine dining.
Hey! Don't mess with my steak and eggs!

acsuppa
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I feel you have to look at the acquiring company. 3M is indeed big but doesn't have the reputation as a preditory corporation Also how can they stream line Meguiars any more that it has already been. To be the leader in the industry with slightly over 100 employees doesn't leave a lot of room for cuts... Seems like Megs doesn't run with a lot of fat.

3M just doesn't have the market presence that Megs does. If anyone should be worried it would be the similar division of 3M which I'm sure has a lot smaller market share with a whole lot more than 105 people...

And if 3M was smart they would make a major promotion for a 3M Sun Light for all of Meg's forum members. Perhaps they could buy the loyalty we all share with Meguiars and their staff. Jeez I hope I don't sound cheap.

Bill P.

I agree with some of your comments but I hear that a lot of detailers and body shops use 3M. I've known quite a few people that have been using 3M stuff for year in their detailing businesses. Also, I don't see 3M cutting employees, I just see them possibly cutting products and relabeling others. Who know. I love my Meggie's so I can only wait and see what happens.

Jeepster04
Sep 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I have never been one to like change, more so since its hard to beat Meguiars. Not exactly sure why this has happened, I just found out so I need to read more about it.

If the product selection gets cut, the quality goes down, customer service of Meguiars goes down, or the prices go up, Ill stop using it all together. :xyxthumbs

J. A. Michaels
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
After much deliberation. I have decided that I am going to keep a open mind on this. I think that Barry would not let bad things happen to the family company. So lets all move forward with this new chapter in the history of Meguiars.

Mike Phillips
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Time to chime in...

I think that Barry would not let bad things happen to the family company. So lets all move forward with this new chapter in the history of Meguiars.

Well said.

:xyxthumbs

Ragtop40Ford
Sep 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
No surprise for us that saw Barry here in St. Paul last June. 3M is a great company and a leader in automotive care producrs. Big overlap in products currently, but I sure hope the Meguiar name is kept in tact as a seperate brand. I started using old #7 in the glass bottle when in high school back in 1962.

Hope to see you at SEMA in November Barry.

Ragtop40Ford

RamAirV1
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Not being a insider and knowing the exact points in the deal. One can only go by the general history of mergers/ acquisitions. The company that buys the other company has to put their blueprint on it.

I see in about 15 months, After a evaluation period, massive changes coming to Meguiars. It will be under the heading of " were streamlining the operation to end overlapping services. This is when the end is near.

I hope this day does not come. But I believe it is just a question of when, not if. I hope that all the employees of Meguiars are not effected by this. They are very good people.

This is my 0.02 about this. This is one time I hope I am dead wrong.

I could not have said it any better myself. That is what usually happens with mergers. Of course you are going to hear nothing but positives from Meguiar's employees. They have to be positive, they have no choice!

Time will tell!

RamAirv1

acsuppa
Sep 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I could not have said it any better myself. That is what usually happens with mergers. Of course you are going to hear nothing but positives from Meguiar's employees. They have to be positive, they have no choice!

Time will tell!

RamAirv1

Man, I hope you guys are wrong but I'm thinking the same. Way too many of the same type of products. If I were a company owner, I sure wouldn't sell multiples of the same products. Make money on some and lose on the others? No way.

ZoranC
Sep 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Way too many of the same type of products.
Really? I went through list myself and did not see much of overlap. Care to elaborate, please, where is the big overlap that you are seeing?

acsuppa
Sep 14th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Really? I went through list myself and did not see much of overlap. Care to elaborate, please, where is the big overlap that you are seeing?

Without looking too deep into it, the offer Compounds, Pads, Waxes clay and Polishes. Along with wet sanding papers, MF's etc. I've never use there products so I can't tell you ant specific part numbers or product lines. If your curious, go over to the 3M Automotive Aftermartket website and you'll find TONS of info on all the products that I mention below.

3M has a nice selection of Pads, and recently bought Edge which makes popular pads. Meguiar's obviously makes pads(my personal favorite).

The offer a nice wide variety of Compounds, Glazes & Polishes. Like Meguiar's does.

They offer Waxes and Clays. Like Meguiar's does. And for a lot of there products, they offer very nice Pro Level products and Consumer products (again, like Meguiar's)

For the most part, pretty much most of the products that Meguiar's sells, 3M also sells. I choose Meguiar's way back and have been a loyal user ever since.

ZoranC
Sep 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Without looking too deep into it, the offer Compounds, Pads, Waxes clay and Polishes. Along with wet sanding papers, MF's etc. I've never use there products so I can't tell you ant specific part numbers or product lines. If your curious, go over to the 3M Automotive Aftermartket website and you'll find TONS of info on all the products that I mention below.

3M has a nice selection of Pads, and recently bought Edge which makes popular pads. Meguiar's obviously makes pads(my personal favorite).

The offer a nice wide variety of Compounds, Glazes & Polishes. Like Meguiar's does.

They offer Waxes and Clays. Like Meguiar's does. And for a lot of there products, they offer very nice Pro Level products and Consumer products (again, like Meguiar's)

For the most part, pretty much most of the products that Meguiar's sells, 3M also sells. I choose Meguiar's way back and have been a loyal user ever since.
Yeah, but you are looking too broad at categories, by that logic everything is an overlap, they wouldn't even need the company, I had more specific stuff in mind.

For example, when it comes to microfiber towels, does 3M offer anything like Ultimate Wipe that would make Ultimate Wipes go away? I don't think so.

When it comes to polishes does 3M offer anything like M105/Solo/D151 that would make them go away? I don't think so.

When it comes to QDs and waxes/sealants does 3M offer anything like that that would make Meguiars's ones killed off? I don't think so.

Even when it comes to pads they are significantly different that it would be wise for them to keep them all, different strokes for different folks.

In other words, what are _exact_ overlaps that would result in elimination of certain products? I know nothing about this but I as outsider do not see almost any.

acsuppa
Sep 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah, but you are looking too broad at categories, by that logic everything is an overlap, they wouldn't even need the company, I had more specific stuff in mind.

For example, when it comes to microfiber towels, does 3M offer anything like Ultimate Wipe that would make Ultimate Wipes go away? I don't think so.

When it comes to polishes does 3M offer anything like M105/Solo/D151 that would make them go away? I don't think so.

When it comes to QDs and waxes/sealants does 3M offer anything like that that would make Meguiars's ones killed off? I don't think so.

Even when it comes to pads they are significantly different that it would be wise for them to keep them all, different strokes for different folks.

In other words, what are _exact_ overlaps that would result in elimination of certain products? I know nothing about this but I as outsider do not see almost any.

Well, Yes of course there are 3M products similar to Meguiar's. Like I said in the post before. I'm not going too far in depth because, frankly, I don't use the products and don't really plan on it. Unless I'm forced to. Yeah, how else will I make money. :chuckle1 Do you really think that 3M doesn't make a Polish that is similar to a Meguiar's Polish? Of course they do. Do you really think 3M doesn't make a compound that is similar to a Meguiar's compound? Of course they do. I really don't see what your getting at here. If that is not product over lapping then what is? Example, 3M makes a Polish called Ultrafine. Now do you think that Meguiar's doesn't have a product that is similar and does the same thing? Maybe even better? Of course they do.

You made the specific example about Ultimate Wipes. Ok, well 3M makes 3M™ Perfect-It™ Detailing Cloth. Ok, similar product right? Yes. Ok now that would be as you call it a over lapping product. It doesn't necessarily mean that one will be eliminated? But it is a very similar product that does the same thing. Just like all the other products that both companies make for paint correction.

When I first posted my reply, I was more looking at Waxes, Polishes, Compounds etc. but I guess it is applying to more then I first thought.

This is were I end my posts on this subject. I'm not really happy were this is heading. I'm not looking to turn this into an argument or something. I've been a loyal Meguiar's user for years. The only non-Meguia's product that I use are a California Blade and RainX. I would hate to see any Meguiar's products go. Thanks.

KAdams4458
Sep 17th, 2008, 04:42 AM
On one hand, I have always liked just about every 3M product I have used, and on the other hand, it pains me to see independent businesses vanish. Honestly, I'm taking the time now to stock up on Meguiar's products, because I really don't like 3M finish products as much as I like Meguiar's products, and I don't know whether Meguiar's products will continue to exist in any form for much longer.

...While I'm at it, me and my cars will be moving to a detailing bomb shelter until the future is clear, or I figure out how to make my own detailing products. :)

sunny2185
Sep 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I agree with u,bro

Justin Murphy
Sep 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM
3M bought out EDGE?

WOW!

acsuppa
Sep 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
3M bought out EDGE?

WOW!

Yeah, I was surprised when I first heard. I guess it was just a few weeks before the Meguiar's announcement. I've never used the Edge pads but I heard there good.

Justin Murphy
Sep 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I called Aaron at EDGE and yep, it was a done deal as of August 29th. Good for him! He has put in some hours over the last 4 years.........like 3 days with no sleep hours!!!

I was also told that the 3M/Meguiars merger is a "done deal" yet.

angeloabbattista
Sep 18th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I wonder what the BIG picture here is because in July they also acquired K&H Surface Technology in Australia. K&H are one of the largest manufacturers of body shop repair and refinishing products. K & H Surface Technology (http://www.khst.com.au/index_news.html)
If you can't beat 'em buy 'em out.

acsuppa
Sep 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I wonder what the BIG picture here is because in July they also acquired K&H Surface Technology in Australia. K&H are one of the largest manufacturers of body shop repair and refinishing products. K & H Surface Technology (http://www.khst.com.au/index_news.html)
If you can't beat 'em buy 'em out.

Wow. 3M has been real busy. I gues if anyone has the money to buy big companies, it's 3M. Well at least 3M is a good, well respected company. It could be worse I guess.

jfelbab
Sep 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Just wondering if we will see the Meguiar's logo appear on Biffle's Sprint Cup car in NASCAR? Could be a really cool bit of advertising.

Nappers
Sep 19th, 2008, 06:39 AM
It would be better with Tony Stewart doing Meguiars/3M as he has been doing Armor All which made me sick!!!!!!!

New car, new sponsor (besides Old Spice that is:D)

lokirx706
Sep 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I would certainly hope that 3M does the right, and smart thing. I have heard concerns voiced over 3M consolidating their products and Meguiars product so not to have more than one product for a single purpose.

However, you arent realizing the fact that Meguiars has its diehard fanbase, as well does 3M. If you were to consolidate a product line, you would need to decide if it will be a 3M product, or a Meguiars product. The Meguiars name is worth whatever cost they may incure producing more than one product.

Besides 3M doesnt have many products that are sold to the masses, how often do you go into Wal-mart, or any major autoparts stores and see 3M's range of product on the shelves? I think Napa is the only place that sells them. Meguiars has excellent marketing and advertising to draw even the people that arent addicted to detailing in to their products. Most of the 3M products are blandly packaged, and arent easy enough to use for the average consumer.

Meguiars has enough of an edge to stay alive in this scenario. I think there might even be a good chance that 3M doesnt mettle to much in Megiuars and simply takes a cut. Gold Class and NXT and Deep Crystal etc. etc. are well established names that many consumer identify with and 3M may have products that produce similiar results, but the name alone will keep most of Meguiars products alive.

At least for the next few years anyway, unless 3M begins slowly marketing its own consumer products and slowly phases Meguiars out... Which I dont see happening...

On the otherhand, my nightmare scenario is that Meguiars works closely with 3M chemists and reformulates most of their products. In which case Il have to send a FORTUNE to buy all the new Meguiars products!!!

If they were to call it a 3M product, they would lose Meguiars fans, and vice versa. As long as we the consumers buy the Meguiars (well priced) products, I am sure they will continue to be produced.

FLINTstone
Jul 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
i must say that with the current economic conditions, it shouldnt surprise any of us seeing corporate mergers. i believe as long as 3M allows megs to keep the same management, R&D team, and QC inspectors we shouldnt worry too much.

im in for updates on this one.

rusty bumper
Jul 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I am sick to my stomach.

3M will do nothing but kill the Meguiars name and destroy their products as well.

I am totally aghast.

:furious1:furious1:furious1:furious1:furious1

smack
Oct 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I personally am all for it. Its too early to tell. But the two best names in the auto surface business just joined.

DetailFreak517
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I personally am all for it. Its too early to tell. But the two best names in the auto surface business just joined.

....two years ago. :poke

smack
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I didnt realize it was that long ago

rusty bumper
Oct 7th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I'm still against it. :angry1