PDA

View Full Version : M95 Speed Cut Compound - Nick's Review

Nick Chapman
Sep 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM
M95 Speed Cut Compound - Nick's Review (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27479)

This weekend I got my first chance to try #95. There was never much talk about this product, so I just never bought any. Not sure why people have ignored #95, this is an absolutely amazing product! #105 is also a very amazing product, but here in Texas, #105 doesn't take too well to heat. It gums up and dusts really bad, creating frustration for myself. When the temps drop a bit, #105 is my "go to product", but in high heat, it stays put in the van.

So this weekend, I had a 2007 Trailblazer SS to work on. Completely black, and in horrible condition! 1.5 years of nothing but automatic car washes! This thing was swirled to no end! (I'll post up some pictures in the next couple of days)

First up to bat was #105 via rotary and a wool pad. Gummed up and dusted....next! Solo and a wool pad, worked well, but still needed more cut. This went on and on, going through every product I had available. Nothing was cutting it!

So I went back to the van and pulled out the #95 I had just bought. Figured nothing else worked, why not give it a try. Started out with rotary and a red Solo wool pad.....instant gratification!!!

Removed the swirls and scratches with ease! Never dried up! Work time is measured in DAYS! not passes! I couldn't believe it. Tried another spot, same result! Not really sure what they put into this product, but my personal opinion is, a gallon of #95 consists of 2 quarts of #105, and 2 quarts of 10w30! Yes, it's that oily!

The #95 and red Solo wool pad left some buffer swirls, had to get those out right? So I whipped out the black foam pad and attached it to the rotary. It worked extremely well! Much better than I ever expected, and a cleaner result than with #105 or Solo on a foam pad.

But, it still left a couple of very light buffer swirls in the paint. Most would have let it go out the door like that, but I wanted a little more....Lets give #95 a whirl on the DA and a yellow foam pad and see what happens......

HOLY SMOKES!!! :eek:

This is the new #80.....on steroids!! Absolutely a FLAWLESS end result! And wet wet wet!!!

Normally, when you work a product with the DA and a yellow pad, you get little "ticks" in the paint. Not sure what the technical term used to describe these marks, but it looks like a feathering effect of sorts. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about :D

#95 left NONE of this! Even with a yellow foam pad! Never seen that before :confused:

Tried another spot, same results! WOW! We're talking about FLAWLESS results!

Something that usually can only be achieved using a rotary to do final polishing! How is this possible?

Finished the Trailblazer off with some #26, and got it all delivered to the customer. He was blown away!

You guys really need to give this product a try. I know it states that #95 is rotary only, but in my opinion, this product smokes anything available for a DA application!

It produces incredibly flawless results, with very Little effort. Of course, if you have major swirls/scratches, it's best to remove them with a rotary first, then work on to the DA.

I'm going to do some more testing with this product, because you can't judge it just using it once. But if it performs half as well as it did here on this Trailblazer, then this will be a must have product in my van!

2 Thumbs Up Meguiar's! :doublethumbsup2 This product rocks!!

Cliff notes...

Bought #95, tried it, loved it, going to use it again :D

Nick

J. A. Michaels
Sep 28th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Sounds great. That is one ringing endorsement. Thanks for the heads up, Nick.

SD DIESEL
Sep 28th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Keep use posted on your next test. Sounds like I need to order some.

VoicesInMyHead
Sep 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Cool! can't wait to see the pics! :D

Nick Chapman
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Cool! can't wait to see the pics! :D

Me too! I haven't even loaded them up on the computer yet. Hope they came out ok :D

Sal329
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info. I will be getting #95 as soon as I get time to get down to my local PBE

Mark Kleis
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I have 32 ounces waiting for some lovin'....guess I will try it out sooner rather than later now!

Thanks for the heads up Nick!

Nick Chapman
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Before #95...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/tn_IMG_1838.JPG

After #95

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/tn_IMG_1869.JPG

J. A. Michaels
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
What a improvement. That is a incredible finish.

TimG
Sep 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Wow! I agree #95 rocks. I got both 105 and 95 so if one doesnt work, the other might be the rescue.

:xyxthumbs

InfiniteDetail
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Wow, sign me up! I'm getting some in my next order.

Great work and thanks for sharing :bigups

Nick Chapman
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM
This stuff truely works awesome. I've got a black C4 Vette coming up tonight/tomorrow, that'll be the true test for it :D

Mike Phillips
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks for sharing what you experienced with M95 with our forum community...

Mike Phillips
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:07 AM
This stuff truly works awesome. I've got a black C4 Vette coming up tonight/tomorrow, that'll be the true test for it :D

If this C4 has the factory paint, then if you can carve out the time, please run a tape line down one of the flat panels like the deck-lid and take a before shot, half-and-half and finished shot.

I've personally never worked on a C4 that didn't have horribly hard clear on it and it will be interesting to see how M95 works for you if this is factory paint and especially if it's in really bad condition.

Please pay close attention to how the M95 works by DA on the paint and the kind of end-results you get with it. If it leaves a very nice finish on the paint with no haze or tick marks, then do your best to document this with your camera, even do an IP or MS wipe beforehand.

Thanks Nick...

:)

ColonelCash
Sep 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Can you really get those "after" results by using M95 on a DA? What effect did the rotary polishing have on the paint? If you can get this finish with M95 on the DA, I'll order some today.

Nick Chapman
Sep 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Can you really get those "after" results by using M95 on a DA? What effect did the rotary polishing have on the paint? If you can get this finish with M95 on the DA, I'll order some today.

I started with 95 on a red wool pad. Good results, but buffer swirls(to be expected)
95 and a new black foam pad resulted in very good results, but still some VERY light buffer swirls. I almost don't even want to call them buffer swirls, they're that light. No holograms or anything like that.

95 and a yellow pad on a DA provided the best results by far! I made one quick pass, and wiped off the residue. Some "ticks", but much lighter than #80's "ticks". Tried another spot, and made about 4 passes, no "ticks" at all! Perfect and clean looking. This tells me that #95 needs to be broken down in order to work properly. My technique was moderate pressure for the first pass, then lightening up each pass after that. Final pass was with machine weight only.

I've got that Vette coming tonight, and I plan to do a little more research with #95 on it. If it works on a Vette, you can be sure it's not just a fluke. This Trailblazer was my one and only experience with #95, so thats all I have to comment on it. I'll know more this week as to whether it's a "deal or dud" ;)

Nick

Hemin8r
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Cool write up Nick and thanks for posting your experience. I'll need to order some as well.

bookeem
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM
when u say yellow pad what pad are u refering too:

megs yellow polishing pad or lc yellow cutting pad..

i think the latter..

Nick Chapman
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
when u say yellow pad what pad are u refering too:

megs yellow polishing pad or lc yellow cutting pad..

i think the latter..

The new Meguiar's yellow washable pad.

RaskyR1
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Great! Now I have another product I have to buy! :furious1

:chuckle1 :chuckle1 :chuckle1

Thanks for sharing! :wavey

Rasky

bookeem
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM
The new Meguiar's yellow washable pad.

awesome, thanks for the review..:xyxthumbs

Nappers
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks Nick. I too have problems with a dry heat up here in No. California, it's a bit of a high desert and I had troubles with M105 by hand drying up much less by PC. I never tried.

Now I got to get some M95 too!

Good show :bigups

Nick Chapman
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
The Vette will be here tonight, and I'll be able to put my hands on it tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back then and let you guys know how it works out.

Nick

Andy M.
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Nick,

Nice write up!:xyxthumbs I will be sure to order some the next time, especially since you had great results with the DA!
Thanks for taking the time to write everything down. That finish on the Trailblazer looks awesome to!Scottwax4

Andy

Mike Phillips
Sep 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Remember, paint systems can vary greatly so what works on one car may not work on another car, that's why it's so important to do a test spot and make sure your process and products of choice are giving you the results you to one small area before going over the entire car.

M95 is NOT recommended for use with a DA Polisher and was primarily designed for use with a rotary buffer, so always test first.

SHYNEMAN123
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Nick, Great write up I will be adding 95 to my arsenal.That is one deep finish Great work.

Nick Chapman
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM
No dice on the Vette guys. This one's not taking to anything :mad:

Justin Murphy
Oct 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM
How did I miss this thread????
LOL!
I've wanted to try #95 after I experienced the same problems with #105.

Looks like I'll be making another order.

Did you have any dusting at all?
How was removal?

Thanks again!

Mark Kleis
Oct 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
How did I miss this thread????
LOL!
I've wanted to try #95 after I experienced the same problems with #105.

Looks like I'll be making another order.

Did you have any dusting at all?
How was removal?

Thanks again!

I'm not Nick, but I can tell you with my rotary and working the product for a LONG time I had absolutely positively zero dust. I also had no issue with product removal. this stuff is a pleasure to work with in my opinion. :xyxthumbs

Justin Murphy
Oct 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I'm not Nick, but I can tell you with my rotary and working the product for a LONG time I had absolutely positively zero dust. I also had no issue with product removal. this stuff is a pleasure to work with in my opinion. :xyxthumbs

Thanks!
Were you using it in full sun aka hot as Hades???
LOL!

Sorry but I like to be thorough.
105 is great and did well in the spring when it was cooler but now it gums up and dusts a lot.

Mark Kleis
Oct 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks!
Were you using it in full sun aka hot as Hades???
LOL!

Sorry but I like to be thorough.
105 is great and did well in the spring when it was cooler but now it gums up and dusts a lot.

I personally always detail in a garage. I am OCD about contamination and fear that being outside dust could land on the paint and cause scratches as I polish.

If M105 gives you heck, then try the #95. Also keep in mind constantly cleaning the pad helps a ton for M105 dusting. I also spritz the pad with 50/50 LT and water occasionally and it seems to help as well.

BigGar
Dec 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Could it have been the oils in the 95 that made it look so good? Sometimes those products appear to work great and then you look at it a few days later when the oils have dried out a bit. Swirls everywhere. I hate it when that happens:grrrr1

Nick Chapman
Dec 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Could it have been the oils in the 95 that made it look so good? Sometimes those products appear to work great and then you look at it a few days later when the oils have dried out a bit. Swirls everywhere. I hate it when that happens:grrrr1

I really hate it when people state this. No offense BigGar, but if this were the case, then M80 would be at the top of the list for re-appearing swirls and scratches. Yet it doesn't happen, at least I've never seen it.

I've revisted this vehicle about a week and a half ago. It still looks good. No holograms, no buffer swirls magically appearing, nothing. I've taken a lot of heat over this review and I'd rather not relive all that. If you believe that M95 won't work for you, then don't use it. I know my experience with this product, and it works. I use it often and will continue to use it.

The End!

mshu7
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I've used M95 a few times and it's MUCH MORE user-friendly than M105. I love the cut of M105, but hate how finicky it is. M95 was a dream to work with.

Tom Weed
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Nick, Nice review.
I've had good luck with 95 being more user friendly than 105, but I've personally never tried to finish with it. I used it on the rotary with a red or yellow solo wool pad and the cut and defect removal was great, but it did leave some hologramming. I followed with yellow foam on the Flex with 151 and it worked great as a two stepper. Never dawned on me to try to finish down with 95, but it's worth a try. I will get crucified for saying this, but I had dusting/gumming problems with 105 as well, and yes, cleaning the pad after ever panel is crucial, so I decided "on my own" to do an 80/20 mixture of 105 with Optimum Polish, 105 being the 80%. It was easier to work with, cut was just a little less, but buffing time increased. Sounds a lot like the new 105!

An ways, thanks for the review! I really like the new polishes and am waiting in anticipation for the new 205, if it ever does hit the shelves.

BigGar
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Holy troll status Batman!
I wasn't trying to make trouble or bag on a particular product.
I've never even used #95 for that matter.
Only stating my past personal experience with oily products.
No agenda here.

Gar

Nick Chapman
Dec 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Holy troll status Batman!
I wasn't trying to make trouble or bag on a particular product.
I've never even used #95 for that matter.
Only stating my past personal experience with oily products.
No agenda here.

Gar

Sorry, this is just a touchy subject for me. You'd have to know the entire story to get the full effect.

No harm no foul

Nick

BigGar
Dec 11th, 2008, 07:49 AM
No worries. I've been at this almost 25 years. I just take care of a few car collections now and it keeps me as busy as I want to be.

Best wishes.

Gar

Mike Phillips
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Just to chime in, you just can throw sand onto paint and then buff, at least not if your goal is to make the paint look good when you're done. This means besides whatever is used for an abrasive there has to be some kind of lubricating base.

The problem with fillers and all the bad information on other forums about them is lack of knowledge and improper use. Regardless of what the lubricating base is, if the product is used correctly then the defects will be removed.

If there are swirls left behind then it's the job of the user to,

Correct their technique and use the product correctly
Use a different product for the job
Use a different pad for the job
Do a follow-up step using a less aggressive product
Do a follow-up step using a machine with a different action, for example follow the rotary buffer with a dual action polisher

Getting great results with any company's products assuming the products work in the first place requires head knowledge, skill and experience, we can help with the head knowledge here on this forum but skill and experience are gained by using the product and in some cases tweaking your technique until you get it right. Practice makes perfect. Again, as stated above, this assumes the products work in the first place and we can't speak for all the abrasive and oily products on the market but our products work when the right product is chosen for the job and the product is used correctly.

There's just too many decades of success backing them up for there to be any other conclusion.

Just because a person has a problem with a product doesn't mean the problems is actually with the product, it could very well be the wrong technique, the wrong pad or the wrong product for the job as my post about the expectations of a person buffing-out fuel tanker truck on page 5 of this thread.

SwirlX (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335&page=5)

Don't want to get nit picky but what any swirl remover will do depends upon many factors.

I've had people ask me if M09 Swirl Remover 2.0 (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+SWIRL+16) will remove swirls out of an aluminum tanker truck that was buffed with a wool pad, 3M Heavy Duty Compound on a rotary buffer. One of these types of aluminum tanks...

http://www.schiercompany.com/pictures/truck/41131.jpg

My answer was "No" and he said, "Why not? The bottle says "Swirl Remover?"

Meguiar's makes great products but the person using them still has to have enough experience and common sense to choose the right product for the job. Whether any swirl mark remover will work depends upon how deep the swirls are that you're trying to remove and of course in the example above, the material you're trying to remove the swirls out of.

SwirlX may work better for removing swirls as compared to D151 as that's its' sole purpose whereas D151 is a cleaner/wax or AIO or All-in-One type product which means while it's removing swirls it's also polishing and protecting, that's 3 things.

Best thing to do would be to do a Test Spot and check your results and then go from there.

What are you working on Darren F?

Mike Phillips
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
No worries. I've been at this almost 25 years. I just take care of a few car collections now and it keeps me as busy as I want to be.

Best wishes.

Gar

That's a long time, maybe sometime in 2009 attend one of our Saturday Detailing Classes, you'll already know all the basics but we have some pretty cool new products coming out that you'll get a chance to learn about and see in action.

We also have Thursday night "Open Classes" that start back up again in March that follow a very casual format where you can come down and try out some of our new products for yourself. We would love to have you attend either one of these classes.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2garagelogo1.jpg

Saturday Classes for 2009
The 2009 Saturday Class Schedule and Sign-Up threads have been posted!

2009 Saturday Class Schedule (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28080)

January
January 10th - Open Class (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28491)
January 24th - Open Class (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28494)

February
February 7th - Open Class (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28495)
February 21st - Open Class (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28497)
All Saturday Classes are Open Classes, any Registered Member can attend by signing up for a class by replying (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28428) to the sign-up thread.

2009 Thursday Night "Open Garage" Schedule (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28656)

March
March 19th - First Thursday Night "Open Garage" - Click here to sign-up (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28658)
(Daylight Savings Time kicks in on March 14th)

April
April 2nd - Thursday Night "Open Class" - Click here to sign-up (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28674)
April 16th - Thursday Night "Open Class" - Click here to sign-up (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28673)