PDA

View Full Version : Leather Or Fabric?

BlueZero
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Which to you prefer? I'm looking at getting a different truck in spring and was just wondering. If you have a good reason for your preference feel free to post that also.

Thanks!

Ryan L.
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I voted fabric...just love the way it adapts to every weather type out there. Never gets too hot you cant sit on it, never gets too cold you cant sit on it. It feels more comfortable to me and I just like it better.

I also think it is easier to clean, leather shows everything and gets grimy if you don't clean it often.

Ryan

PS. Whats wrong with the Liberty?

ColonelCash
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I vote leather. Doesn't soak up the various smells like fabric. I think its easier to clean, just wipe it down with some leather conditioner.

Oh, and no static electricity when getting out of a car. Also, I'd suggest seat warmers for the colder months (if the option exists and is in budget).

RaskyR1
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I voted leather! Smells great, looks great, no lint, easy to keep clean.

Down side is that they wear to fast.

Murr1525
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Well, I'm not gonna vote..

I mean, I would prefer leather in my luxury car (when I get one).... But may as well give me cloth or vinyl in a work or every day vehicle that I dont want to pay extra for and mess up.

How will you be using it?

BlueZero
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM
It will be my everyday vehicle.

I'm really on the fence. I can think of as many reasons to go one way as the other. Guess when it comes down to it I could just get what ever is on the lot. I still have to figure out what truck to get. lol

I was just wondering what you all like.

Markus Kleis
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
It will be my everyday vehicle.

I'm really on the fence. I can think of as many reasons to go one way as the other. Guess when it comes down to it I could just get what ever is on the lot. I still have to figure out what truck to get. lol

I was just wondering what you all like.

What are you looking to accomplish with the truck? What type of things do you need to move/haul/tow?

How many people do you need to seat?

Any size preference? (Small, medium, large?)

Any rough price range?

Help us, help you! :rofl:

BlueZero
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
What are you looking to accomplish with the truck? What type of things do you need to move/haul/tow?

How many people do you need to seat?

Any size preference? (Small, medium, large?)

Any rough price range?

Help us, help you! :rofl:

:lolol: I'd really like one of those Roush F150's! :xyxthumbs

I'm sure once I get it narrowed down there will be another poll thread. lol

Markus Kleis
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
:lolol: I'd really like one of those Roush F150's! :xyxthumbs

I'm sure once I get it narrowed down there will be another poll thread. lol

Haha, fair enough.

FWIW, the new 2009 F-150s have been re-designed and if you read the critic's reviews it is the clear leader in terms of capability hands down. For now, their engines are not the biggest or fastest, but they actually out-tow the competition due to their superior suspension, frame, towing stability systems, and their class-leading 6 speed transmissions.

They're also tied for best fuel economy in the segment. Just a thought... :xyxthumbs

Andy M.
Oct 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I voted fabric. I have had two vehicles with leather interior, and while I like it when it is new, it just seems to get to shoddy looking to fast. It starts to wrinkle and get creases. Plus, the one car I had was tan leather. I was cleaning it and treating it at least once a week.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. Leather is nice though.

Andy

pampos
Oct 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Leather...Better look,less dust,easier to clean

Dunkydude
Oct 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Had to vote fabric. My wife is tiny had she slides around pretty easy on leather, especially in my fathers truck!

Mikejl
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I voted for leather. All my cars have had fabric and I liked them well enough. But opted for leather in my 09 Camry and really love the look and feel of it.

Mike

J. A. Michaels
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I voted for fabric. Like the others have stated its personal preference. For me I have had both. I just think its easier to maintain the fabric. Just my choice.

Sandstone
Oct 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Fabric is more durable, scratch resistant and forgiving. Leather is mighty cold in the winter unless you have a remote start and seat heaters. Got kids? Skip leather. Voted for fabric.

gb387
Oct 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I prefer leather - IMO it cleans easier than cloth, work can get a little dirty and frequent re-model projects, maybe its just me.

angeloabbattista
Oct 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM
Another leather here. Look and smells great, and I find leather much easier to maintain.

sudsbyhubbs
Oct 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
I voted leather. I've had both and I just love the look of leather. I think it makes everything look sleek, especially dark, two-tone leather.

AeroCleanse
Oct 24th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I vote fabric, you don't stick to it in the summer and or burn yourself on it.

Ryan L.
Oct 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Seems like almost everybody has great reasons for their personal life style. I mean obviously if your driving around your clients all day in your $100,000 Mercedes or what have you, you would probably want leather. But for somebody thats always dirty and stuff, you would probably want fabric.

Good stuff guys!

Ryan

BlueZero
Oct 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Agreed. It's really interesting to see the comments.

CarbonBlack
Nov 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Leather is great,
but alot of cars have cheap and uncomfortable leather. The companies also supplement leather with vynal on the side of the seat.

yakky
Nov 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Leather just gets trashed no matter what you do with it. It streches out, gets creases or cracks. Fabric just lasts forever if it is good quality. In my experience, leather dies first, then seat foam, then fabric. Plus fabric is more comfy in temperature extremes.

Speedway
Nov 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I voted Leather.......we was debating the samethning here when we were going to buy our 08 Accord. We did end up with leather and we love it, easy to clean and it cuts down on our allergies inside the car!!!

SCBMW
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Leather! Especially with pets that ride in the car.

Holden_Caulfield04
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM
In most cases I would vote leather, but for a work truck I would certainly go for fabric. It's going to see wear and fabric wears better. As well, trucks tend to get poor quality leather in comparison to high end luxury cars and fabric is a much better value by far when you take that into account.

Tuck91
Jan 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Leather is fun and easy to clean

Andy M.
Jan 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Leather! Especially with pets that ride in the car.

You do have to watch for claw marks though.

Andy

3Fitty
Jan 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Kids = Leather

Luxury Car = Leather

Beat around car = Fabric

Carfire
Jan 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I say leather.
It looks nicer and smells better.
The down sides the price and when it gets to hot.
We are the type of people who like our cars to look good.
For some of us we clean our cars every weekend.
So it should not be a problem to clean or keep it looking brand new.

christian6984
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM
leather is a bit high maintainance IMO, i would go with fabric, the weather over here would leave the seats cold most of the time, in the summer if they were black they would be hot, so you would use air con more

Tuck91
Mar 10th, 2009, 06:50 PM
whie i prefer leather, i have cloth seats in my truck, the lint roller is a must!

Megafast13
Mar 10th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Leather is much better.

Nicer Looking, More Luxurious, No Stains or Shampooing, No Static, No Smell Issues, etc.

:D

Robby144
Mar 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Leather is better looking, easier to clean and gives the car a higher resale value, I find.

Tuck91
Mar 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM
but then again leather gets too hot and gets too cold, i really think fabric is better, especially when its clean!

To be named later
Mar 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Leather.

Although, the only drawback with leather is the ride is just a tad rougher. I feel the bumps in the road a little more with leather, because it is a little "harder", while cloth is just a little more forgiving. At least in my opinion.

The advantage to leather is it cleans a little easier, and is easier to maintain.

Why, not even two weeks ago, I was running late for work and I opened the door and tossed a bunch of junk in the car.

I tossed my cellphone, ID badge, lunch, coffee, briefcase, a magazine, and a belt in the passenger seat.

Did you notice I mentioned I tossed my coffee in the passenger seat?!?

Yeah, I tossed the coffee mug in the car.

15 ounces of coffee on my leather passenger seat. I didn't realize I did not have my coffee at my desk for another hour, and I figured I just left it in the cupholder. When I went down to get the cup 2 hours later, there was a small pool of coffee in the crease, and a trail of coffee that ran thru the seat and backrest, to the rear floormat, to the rear door.

I mopped up what I could in the seat, wiped it down, had to wait until the evening to give it a good thorough cleaning. I figure the coffee had to of soaked thru the stiching.

I don't know whether this is a testament to Meguiars GC Leather Conditioner, or if it is a testament to the stiching in Eddie Bauer leather, or if it was helpfull that I like a lot of creamer and my coffee is more tan than black......but to test how much coffee might have been absorbed thru the leather and soaked thru the stiching, I poured about 10oz of water onto the seat and let it stand. About an hour later, hardly any of the water had soaked thru. Which told me very little of the coffee must have soaked thru.

I gave it a good cleaning, applied some more Meguiars...seats look great, there is no staining

Like I say I don't know whether that is due to the Meguiars product or the quality of the leather craftsmanship....but if that was cloth, I would have been screwed.

supercharged
Mar 18th, 2009, 01:49 AM
leather and only leather...

crjefferson
May 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Leather is far superior IMO. Cloth is far less durable, far more prone to staining and absorbing smells, and harder to clean. Light colored leather can begin to look dingy over time, but much less so than cloth

Eddie6th
Jun 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Tough choice.I like both.Depends also on the quality of the fabric and the design on the fabric.Some cars have really silly patterns that would look fine for Krusty!

:laughing:laughing2

RamAirV1
Jun 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
If you're hauling dogs in your truck, go with fabric. An active dog will shred the leather in no time. If your dogs are more docile than you should be OK with the leather. Leather does tend to get too hot in the summer too.

RamAirV1

kaptain_zero
Jun 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I couldn't answer the poll as my car, a 2009 Sonata comes with fabric seats that have leather bolsters.... Center panels are fabric but all the sides of the seat and back, including the bolsters are leather. I like them a lot but I suppose if push came to shove, I'd go strictly fabric.... it can take more abuse/neglect and is more comfortable both in the our 100+ summer temps and our -40 winters. Then again, I fondly remember the leather seats in the last Jaguar XJ6 I drove........<sigh>.<sigh>

Regards

Christian</sigh>

Eddie6th
Jun 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I couldn't answer the poll as my car, a 2009 Sonata comes with fabric seats that have leather bolsters.... Center panels are fabric but all the sides of the seat and back, including the bolsters are leather. I like them a lot but I suppose if push came to shove, I'd go strictly fabric.... it can take more abuse/neglect and is more comfortable both in the our 100+ summer temps and our -40 winters. Then again, I fondly remember the leather seats in the last Jaguar XJ6 I drove........<SIGH>.<SIGH>

Regards

Christian</SIGH>

That's a good point. Maybe we need a new poll,that includes choice three...Fabric and leather! Well,we all get the picture.

I didn't know the sonata had two types of material.:nervous1

JaguarXj6L
May 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
The issues with leather are proper maintenance with varying products. My car is 13 years old and the leather looks brand new (except for bits on the driver's seat which I'll be redying in the next week). Yes, Meguiars offers some good products, but they just hammer different oils into the leather, and let them sit, and overly shine the dye.

What works best is something that will completely clean the leather from deep within. My vote would be for Leatherique. Another more abrasive product would be Lexol. The important part is to buy all parts of the leather care system like a cleaner and conditioner.

Issues with carpet/fabric/cloth seats are staining, smells. It's like sitting on the floor of my bedroom.